Russell Wilson Released

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he is a very good Quarterback. He was the worst starter in football in 2022. He was slightly better in 2023 but still bottom 3rd. 

But you are right about the locker room stuff. Some of what I have heard about Seattle was truly unbelievable. And you just have to hear how the guys off that team talk about him. Normally players will go to bat for a QB who helped them get a ring, however, with that squad their defense of Russ is always flimsy and conditional. Which makes the think I should believe the unbelievable.

Ranked 21 in QBR and 20th by NFL.com.  Threw 10 less INTs than Allen in only 2 less games, while throwing only 3 less TD passes.  His YPA is terrible though.  Suggesting he is more dink and dunk than he was earlier in his career when he had one of the best long balls in the game.  He played his worst football early and got better as the season wore on.  He was benched for financial reasons not for performance.

Oh yeah and he was more than good enough to beat McD's defense....

But all in all I think you are correct, he is probably at the very top of the bottom 3rd.  Still think he is an ugrade for a large number of teams

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he is a very good Quarterback. He was the worst starter in football in 2022. He was slightly better in 2023 but still bottom 3rd. 

But you are right about the locker room stuff. Some of what I have heard about Seattle was truly unbelievable. And you just have to hear how the guys off that team talk about him. Normally players will go to bat for a QB who helped them get a ring, however, with that squad their defense of Russ is always flimsy and conditional. Which makes the think I should believe the unbelievable.

Please share.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ranked 21 in QBR and 20th by NFL.com.  Threw 10 less INTs than Allen in only 2 less games, while throwing only 3 less TD passes.  His YPA is terrible though.  Suggesting he is more dink and dunk than he was earlier in his career when he had one of the best long balls in the game.  He played his worst football early and got better as the season wore on.  He was benched for financial reasons not for performance.

But all in all I think you are correct, he is probably at the very top of the bottom 3rd.  Still think he is an ugrade for a large number of teams

The numbers were fools gold. The tape looked very different. 

11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

interesting. 1. wonder who picks him up. 2.  wonder what Denver's thinking for its QB situation.  

Denver is crashing.  They gave up a ton for Wilson and can't return to success for a year or two.  I think the reason for the release is that Wilson was still good enough for them to steal a couple of wins, and ruin their draft position in the years ahead.  

• Like (+1) 1

So, the next time everyone here is talking about how Von is a bad contract :P

I suspect he'll get a stop somewhere. There are places that are just as QB hungry as Denver, just that the amount of money he was getting was absurd in comparison to level of play. Washington, Pitt, Tenn, NE, Atlanta, Minnesota, LV, and even Seattle all need a QB and the back half of that list is way outside of the pick zone of the top candidates. Someone will take a sniff.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If he was performing, his finances wouldn’t be an issue 

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Cortland Sutton come on down!!!!

Trade for him then draft Worthy. 

I mean...yes, but not for the money that he's due. If the Broncos are in full fire sale mode and are willing to trade him for peanuts and Beane uses salary conversion and void years it's possible but at this point if they are in a fire sale mode they might just cut him.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

I thought this as well. They have a ton of cap space and can afford to over pay him, at least a little, not give him what Denver gave him. He could be a good bridge qb for them

Because of the offset language in his Bronco contact, it's highly likely that whoever signs him will get him at league minimum for a veteran. No one will have to overpay him. 

Anything signed above minimum just makes it so the Broncos pay less. Giants are a team I'd keep an eye on. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looking around the league, it is REALLY hard to find a team that makes a lot of sense from the stand point of being an NFL starter.

From a team need perspective, Steelers are the only one I can look at and Wilson likely makes that team better on the field, and that is more about how bad the Steeler QB's are than it is about how good Wilson is today.   With the defense and run game, Wilson doesn't have to carry the offense kind of like the early days in Seattle when they went to back to back SB's winning one.   

However, from a culture stand point, Steelers feel like a bad fit and I have a hard time seeing Pittsburgh being interested.  

So I don't know where he goes and gets a chance to start other than to say keep the seat warm for a rookie.  And you got to imagine teams are going to be concerned after the Broncos said they would rather have an $85M dead cap hit than see him QB another game for them.  I mean, thats a pretty huge statement and from a team that has Sean Payton as an offensive HC.  

The other aspect is this: What if Wilson performs decently this season on his one year, $1.21M contract? I’m imagining a Daniel Jones kind of scenario where the team does well and wins a playoff game behind a QB that is just good enough. Then you have to have to pay him or go find another QB somewhere while the fans lose their minds. That would be a real possibility with the Steelers. 

16 hours ago, Steptide said:

Isn't his cap hit like 30 million or something for like 3 years? 

Edit - 85 million dead cap hit 😳

and the multiple draft picks they lost

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So, the next time everyone here is talking about how Von is a bad contract :P

I suspect he'll get a stop somewhere. There are places that are just as QB hungry as Denver, just that the amount of money he was getting was absurd in comparison to level of play. Washington, Pitt, Tenn, NE, Atlanta, Minnesota, LV, and even Seattle all need a QB and the back half of that list is way outside of the pick zone of the top candidates. Someone will take a sniff.

The only thing bad about Von’s contract is he doesn’t play. 

Can’t fault Denver for the two years they over-compensated Seattle for Wilson. They had a decent core team to make an attempt at winning things… He at least was on the field for most of it irrespective of it worked out or not… They tried. Can’t do anything else but that. 

16 hours ago, wppete said:

Possibly the worst trade of all time. The amount of money and  assets traded for him was insane and he did absolutely nothing for denver. 

D. Watson was arguably the worst in NFL history, however, this RW one ranks right up there.

• Agree 1

I wouldn’t say it’s the worst trade of all time.  At that time Wilson was top 10 QB in the league.  The real malpractice was the contract that Denver gave him before playing a snap.  You need to try before you buy!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Steelers are dumb if they don't jump on this.  

A 70% Russ is better than Pickett and Rudolph combined. 

No. Denver & Pittsburgh deserve another 30 years of crap football.

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

What an incredibly terrible trade and lost draft picks.  Add the money/cap hit that will paralyze the team for the next two seasons.  And people complain about Beane?  😆

Funny thing is that John Elway was the mastermind behind this. Denver's QB situation has been real bad for awhile.

Paxton Lynch is still out there haha.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

So the Steelers would rather waste the best years of TJ Watt on the likes of Rudolph and Pickett. While they don't seem like an all in for a one year rental kind of team like Rams, I think the Steelers with Wilson could have gone farther than they did with Rudolph and Pickett. I don't like the celebrity Wilson has become but I don't think he's forgotten how to play football either. 

If you thought your team had a short window to win and you could get Wilson for under 2 million a year why wouldn't you?

Edited by stuvian

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Tomlin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would put up with Russ' baggage.

During the drought, this is the kind of move the Bills front office would make.  I expect a similar move out of a team like Washington.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Tomlin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would put up with Russ' baggage.

During the drought, this is the kind of move the Bills front office would make.  I expect a similar move out of a team like Washington.

Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell say hi

17 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Russel Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers.. all great QBs. Once they turned about 32-33 they just got weird… 

Big Ben was weird from day 1.

Imagine being that talented, and playing all those years, never getting any kind of endorsement deal(s). The guy was shady, maybe as much as Watson, but the sheriff in Georgia let him off the hook. 

19 hours ago, Steptide said:

Isn't his cap hit like 30 million or something for like 3 years? 

Edit - 85 million dead cap hit 😳

That's what I was wondering. The Broncos are screwed.

Man to release him & eat some $38 million in dead cap money they Peyton must have really no liked his play or something about him .

And really if you think about it it will be more because f he gets picked up by another team he's gonna also get paid by them so he will be double dipping that will be 1 hell of a year for him !! 

Dam don't know if the poor dude will be able to survive .

Edited by T master

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, he still managed to beat the Bills in Orchard Park last year…Dorsey’s swan song…

Well, it was Special Teams and ole McClappy that blew that game.......RW really didn't have much else to do with it.

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Well, it was Special Teams and ole McClappy that blew that game.......RW really didn't have much else to do with it.

Not true at all...In the fourth quarter, Wilson marched the pathetic Broncos offense down the field to score two touchdowns, including one on a crazy, desperation throw to Courtland Sutton...