Breaking: Salary cap set at $255M

HappyDays

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Sure...Now all those other teams need is Josh Allen and everything will be even... B-)

Also, people think everyone has the same roster construction.  Team A could have a ton of their own players under contract and be 30M over and it’s doom and gloom while Team B has a ton of big FA’s but is 30M under and it’s all rainbows and sunshine for the fanbase. 

I get it for the fanbase in terms of the excitement for Free Agency as an event, but…

Bills have:

Allen, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and the entire OL under contract.

Von, Rousseau, Oliver, Milano, Bernard, Johnson, Douglas, Benford, Poyer all under contract. 

Is there work to be done?  Of course, but for us FA should really be about value-friendly depth/rotational pieces.

Big game hunting and big game re-signing for that matter, aren’t needed, provided Beane hits on this draft - which was always going to be the primary focus of this off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen’s restructure alone takes them to a point now where they can easily get under without having to make too many tough decisions.

With a Dawkins and Milano restructure they can easily extend Douglas and Jones and add a free agent or two if they wanted without breaking the bank.
Now next year when the cap hits to Diggs and Miller aren’t as severe they can be major free agent players again.  
So this is definitely a good day

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, I am looking over some of the recommended cuts and it's incredibly east to shed $49M

Yep.

At the end of the day, they'll wind up with enough for Beane to re-sign a couple players (Jones and Epenesa?) and make one moderately splashy FA move (like Connor McGovern last year) and then a bunch of ho-hum 1-year deals and contributors. As it should be.

Every year we hear how "we'll be shopping the bargain bin this year", and then every year the Bills sign a decent collection of free agents that pleasantly surprises me. Notably, as you said, NOT usually big ticket signings from the first wave of free agency. 

They then also typically sign a decent player a month or two later once said player realizes he's not going to get the money he's seeking (Leonard Floyd, I'm looking at you).

This year, I'd expect something like a safety, a couple DL, a running back, a backup QB, and a WR.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is massive news. The salary cap is $13 million higher than anticipated. This changes everything about our free agency possibilities.

I knew it was going to be higher...I was laughing at them saying it was only going to be $242 million.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep.

At the end of the day, they'll wind up with enough for Beane to re-sign a couple players (Jones and Epenesa?) and make one moderately splashy FA move (like Connor McGovern last year) and then a bunch of ho-hum 1-year deals and contributors. As it should be.

Every year we hear how "we'll be shopping the bargain bin this year", and then every year the Bills sign a decent collection of free agents that pleasantly surprises me. Notably, as you said, NOT usually big ticket signings from the first wave of free agency. 

They then also typically sign a decent player a month or two later once said player realizes he's not going to get the money he's seeking (Leonard Floyd, I'm looking at you).

This year, I'd expect something like a safety, a couple DL, a running back, a backup QB, and a WR.

Yup.. I don’t expect anything major based off this news but McGovern and Floyd were huge signings based on their play.    Let’s just hope any Harty/Sherfield type deals play out better for us this off-season. 

I'm still not sure this helps the Bills and other teams in a rough salary cap situation right now. If anything, you are going to see some truly absurd deals thrown around for marginal FA's like Gabe Davis and AJE. And any restructure to free up cap space means you are paying even more money per year to your own guys (i.e. Josh Allen).

If it does help the Bills it will be inadvertently with some of KC's stars like Sneed and Jones getting record deals from other teams that the Chiefs simply won't be able to match if money is more important than the 3peat/dynasty (and it usually is). Bengals and Ravens also have a lot of key free agents to monitor as well.

• Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know that I speak for everyone here when I give a big THANK YOU to the individual most responsible for this increase.

taylor-swift-donna-kelce-chiefs-bears-se

Book her for half-time shows every week!

52 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Especially when you have a wizard at GM who's been dealing with the aftermath of those Covid rules and cap years, could really help get us on the right side of things.

I don't think this is acknowledged enough. In terms of the natural cycle of team building, I think this was really an inopportune time for that cap "constriction" with respect to the BIlls "growth" and may have had as significant of an impact as some of the injuries as to why we haven't been able to get over the hump in this window.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep.

I mean we say that like a bad thing.

Realistically, how often do you look at a player contract 3-4 years later and go "oh boy THAT was worth it!"

I think the best one in recent memory for the Bills (fortunately) was Josh Allen's. A lot of the time players can't play up to expectations because it was nearly statistically impossible to play up to that level.

Hyde and Poyer were journeymen when the came here and turned into one of the best safety tandems in the league. Morse and Beasley weren't bank breakers. Taron Johnson, Dawkins, Milano and Ed Oliver all have played up to or exceeded their contracts so far. I would include Tre White as well, if not for the injuries.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know that I speak for everyone here when I give a big THANK YOU to the individual most responsible for this increase.

taylor-swift-donna-kelce-chiefs-bears-se

Seriously it helps broadcasters more than NFL unless she is driving jersey sales.

I am surprised the KC Kings do not have a pink jersey with her name on it with her share of money going to a charity she designates like "Girls without WIFI".

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean we say that like a bad thing.

Realistically, how often do you look at a player contract 3-4 years later and go "oh boy THAT was worth it!"

I think the best one in recent memory for the Bills (fortunately) was Josh Allen's. A lot of the time players can't play up to expectations because it was nearly statistically impossible to play up to that level.

Hyde and Poyer were journeymen when the came here and turned into one of the best safety tandems in the league. Morse and Beasley weren't bank breakers. Taron Johnson, Dawkins, Milano and Ed Oliver all have played up to or exceeded their contracts so far. I would include Tre White as well, if not for the injuries.

Preaching to the choir on this one.

While I sometimes question Beane's drafting acumen (and there's no need to get into that in this thread), I will never question his usage of free agency. He has hits and misses, like everyone, but I think he's incredibly shrewd in the way he uses free agency. I think he uses it exactly as it should be used, and strikes a nice balance. He doesn't just sit around and do nothing (like the Packers most years), but he also doesn't take the bait on the big ticket guys (Von Miller being the noted exception). He plugs holes, gives fair deals, and generally sets the Bills up well for the draft.

There's a reason that he ranked 1st in the MTMS (Moves That Make Sense) index for a few years running. When it comes to contract structures, free agency, and spending in general, I'm a big fan of Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

McD joins the Competition Committee; a couple days later this happens. 

Coincidence? I think not!

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hot take:

Sean McDermott joins competition committee yesterday.

Today, salary cap is bumped up almost $14M more than projected, which helps keep us competitive.

coincidence? I think not.

Unlike the draft, where we know exactly who is going to be successful and is definitely not unpredictable at all. 

Get your own material bro

• Haha (+1) 1

This really is great news for us.  Not in a way that we will just go out and spend it, but it may let us not have to restructure a contract or 2 that we really don't want to restructure.  Maybe they front office was thinking of reworking Diggs' contract again.  Now they maybe don't have to do that. 

So, yeah.....I don't think this is money that is going to help get us a new player (it could, but I am not expecting that), but it could help prevent another bad contract on the books in a couple years which is pretty valuable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Break out the Amex baby

Hookers & Blow baby!

• Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cap has gone up $31m this year and probably will to go up more next year …

Von and potential Diggs issues just got a little easier to deal with after this season…

It is why kicking the can is never the disaster people think. Because the cap keeps rising by significant amounts. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Does this mean we're getting a dome?

Yup, sure does, 😁👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is why kicking the can is never the disaster people think. Because the cap keeps rising by significant amounts. 

I agree but also this is a rare situation considering all of the covid money during the shutdown years and now next year they are getting the new tv contract so the numbers were going to increase significantly more compared to years past, JMO.

Just now, The Wiz said:

I agree but also this is a rare situation considering all of the covid money during the shutdown years and now next year they are getting the new tv contract so the numbers were going to increase significantly more compared to years past, JMO.

It is but it is going to be going up $20m per for the forseable even after the tv deal has settled in. 

I was so thrilled with this news.

Previously it was my understanding that we were 42 million over the cap for next year, and that as of today there was extra money associated with the cap.

Crazy, stupid me thought we went from being 42 million over to 29 million.

Then low and behold everywhere I check says, with the above "extra" cap space, we are now...slightly under 42 million over?!!!!

Yes, it is better we have it than not have it, but what the holy hell?!

So this organization, in earnest plain description, this non-Super Bowl appearing team, non-championship game appearing team was due to be $55 million over the cap headed in to next year?!

...and this is just honkey-dorey and jiggle here, jiggle jiggle there, everywhere and we should be cool-cool-cool for 2024?

Somebody please tell me, because I honestly don't know, the last NFL team that was due to be $40 million over the cap, got under, and then proceeded to be one of the best teams in the League?

...OK...5 question marks might be a limit, right*

(* "?"...dang it!)

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is but it is going to be going up $20m per for the forseable even after the tv deal has settled in. 

Oh I know.  But contracts are also going to increase so both the inflation of the cap and contracts will likely still be in line with one another.  Like I said, it was a rare situation where the cap was basically doing a "bounce back" from a bad economical standing so the teams that were willing to pay more and play the long game are now going to benefit more than the teams that played the "wait and see" game.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

If anything, you are going to see some truly absurd deals thrown around for marginal FA's like Gabe Davis and AJE

This would be good for Buffalo. If Davis, Floyd, AJE and even jones get over payed in FA it could net us a few extra 3rd to 5th round comp picks next year 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.