Bass Makes $1 Million More per Year Than Butker

Interesting to take a quick look at kicker salaries.  Tucker makes $6 million, Bass $5, Butker and Elliot $4.  A few mediocre kickers make more than Bass.  The real deal is the rookie on Dallas who makes 55 yarders like they are extra points.  He makes less than $1.  30 years ago, Jimmy Johnson said that kickers are fungible.  Not sure if that is true anymore.  These days, you better have someone who you are comfortable putting out there to make 50+ yarders.  If you do, you pay him.  If you don’t, you don’t ( or shouldn’t).   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

Beane and company have expressed with acquisitions or contracts that they do in fact value the kicker role. Hauschka was not cheap either if my memory serves me right. Now getting the performance on that investment is different. 

• Like (+1) 1

So what? How much does Josh Allen make, and how many screw ups did he have this year? What about Stephon Diggs? I could go on and on. And I’m 100% positive that you could go around the league, and on each team, find guys who have had a down year and who are making way more than what “they are worth.” This topic is funny, it really is.

I think we need to move on from

Bass while we can without actually hurting us in games. That means drafting a kicker. Take the cap hit. Can’t go into The season with a terrible kicker with the yips. You’re only as good as your last season IMO

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I think we need to move on from

Bass while we can without actually hurting us in games. That means drafting a kicker. Take the cap hit. Can’t go into The season with a terrible kicker with the yips. You’re only as good as your last season IMO

kickers often come back around. I’m still curious if there’s more to the story here. It still doesn’t add up fully in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No one had a problem with this after his 2022 season.  

Yep. Most kickers have a clunker season in there somewhere. Many rebound and some never do . We’ll see what happens. Hopefully bass refurns to form 

My guy better kick so many FG's during the off-season that he gets leg tremors in his sleep. Practice with people throwing footballs in his direction to simulate pressure. And we still need to bring in competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

That's because Butker signed his extension in 2020.  Bass after the 2022 season.

This ^ amazing how little attention some fans pay to the NFL salary system. The most recent extension is always higher. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This ^ amazing how little attention some fans pay to the NFL salary system. The most recent extension is always higher. 

Almost like there has maybe been some inflation the last 4 years since the pandemic?

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Almost like there has maybe been some inflation the last 4 years since the pandemic?

Hahahaha. There certainly has , and the NFL was affected by it but not in that way. The NFL cap is tied to revenue. It seemingly always goes up for the NFL - the one exception was the pandemic year with no fans. That was the only time revenue ( and thusly the cap) has gone down in probably decades. NFL revenues just keep climbing year after year .

Bass has two more years of kicking in the worst stadium in the league for kickers. Ask Justin Tucker, the best kicker in history, how he feels about kicking at Highmark in January. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JJGauna said:

Bass earned his contract at the time, he had a down year no doubt, hopefully he rebounds this year.

I agree with this.  The Dawson Knox contract was much more head scratching than Bass.  He had literally done nothing to earn the contract he was given

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JJGauna said:

Bass earned his contract at the time, he had a down year no doubt, hopefully he rebounds this year.

Did he though?   He has not had a lot of pressure kick opportunities.  I have never felt super confident with him.   He hit an upright in Detroit when the pressure was in but it went though.  

I believe in Tyler.   

I think he needs to recommit himself, 110%, to the game of football.  That includes strength conditioning and more time kicking and less time golfing.  

If Tyler re-commits himself, totally, to football, he will be great.  If he thinks he can keep up what he has been doing the past 12 months, that is lollygagging, he won't be here in 2025.  

1 minute ago, CNYfan said:

I believe in Tyler.   

I think he needs to recommit himself, 110%, to the game of football.  That includes strength conditioning and more time kicking and less time golfing.  

If Tyler re-commits himself, totally, to football, he will be great.  If he thinks he can keep up what he has been doing the past 12 months, that is lollygagging, he won't be here in 2025.  

LMAO. I see what you did there. 😉

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why don't we wait till someone is actually good before we throw money at him with these extensions. 

Yeah but we wanna show what a great culture we have and how much we appreciate guys like Bass and of course Dawson Knox, who is getting paid like a superstar to be a backup. Then we wonder why we can’t get close to winning it all.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yeah but we wanna show what a great culture we have and how much we appreciate guys like Bass and of course Dawson Knox, who is getting paid like a superstar to be a backup. Then we wonder why we can’t get close to winning it all.

Agree....it's just so inconsistent.  We make the right call not extending Davis & Edmunds but get a little prematurely excited for Bass & Knox. Let the contract play all the way out, then make your decision. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Bass has two more years of kicking in the worst stadium in the league for kickers. Ask Justin Tucker, the best kicker in history, how he feels about kicking at Highmark in January. 

Yet Harrison Butker seemed to do fine in that same stadium. And while Bass missed in the mess in Philly, Jake Elliott was nailing 50 plus yarders in the rain.

Once again in Buffalo we settle for good enough and reward that instead of looking for better. Our hope for next season is literally just that, hope. There’s no reason to think this ####### is gonna be any better next year, especially after ending our season this year. But yeah sure, he’s just gonna “bounce back” just like Gabe after his “ankle injury” last year.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.