Hot Mic Baker Mayfield returning to Bucs

Good for him, Browns ownership treated him like crap, guy leads that team to breaking their playoff win drought against the ***** Steelers, division rival has to be big for the Browns, what has a tougher follow up season where he still plays hard for them but is playing injured most of the season and they just dump him for a sex offender.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Mayfield has proven he's a pretty good QB. Why the Browns got rid of him remains a mystery to me. He was playing with a significant injury his final year there and gutted it out. The year before, he was good. And he was good this year. Almost rallied to beat the Bills after being down by a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Good for him, Browns ownership treated him like crap, guy leads that team to breaking their playoff win drought against the ***** Steelers, division rival has to be big for the Browns, what has a tougher follow up season where he still plays hard for them but is playing injured most of the season and they just dump him for a sex offender.

Not being a smartass here, but how did Cleveland treat him like crap?  

Was it the coaching situation?  Because I feel like they provided him with some talent on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Confession: Baker is who I wanted in the 2018 draft.

I thought his attitude/moxie/whatever-you-wanna-call-it was exactly what Buffalo needed at that time.

Obviously we'll never know how things would've turned out if he had been drafted here, but...I'm obviously pretty okay with the guy we wound up with instead.

Two interesting things about Baker Mayfield:

One is that the Browns VERY NEARLY took Josh Allen 1st overall instead of him. There were rumors right up until draft morning of the Browns building being split and some pushing very heavily for Josh. Instead, as we all know, the voices that wanted Baker won out, and the rest is history.

Two is that he had a pretty great rookie season, which led to instant stardom and him being in a bazillion TV commercials. He looked to all the world like the next huge NFL megastar QB. And then his sophomore season happened and, well...things went downhill in Cleveland, culminating in his ouster from the team, temporary journeyman status, and his current career resurrection in Tampa Bay. This was the latest example of "don't judge a QB after a great rookie season until he's able to replicate the success in year two". Opposing defensive coordinators have an offseason to study and to take away what you do best, and year two often doesn't go nearly as well as year one.

Anyway...I like Baker Mayfield. I'm glad he's doing well in Tampa Bay, and I hope he continues to do well in his career.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Was it the coaching situation?  Because I feel like they provided him with some talent on the field. 

They knew he had a significant injury to his throwing arm and instead of shutting him down, let him gut it out leading to him having a very sub-par season.  Knowing that, they let him take all the blame for the team's performance and rarely stood up for the guy.  And to thank him for putting the team ahead of his own health, they dumped him unceremoniously for the Gummybear Bandit - Portrait of a @SS Grabber and made Mr. Massage the highest paid QB in the league.

Prior to that, he had a different OC every season and had no consistency on the coaching side of things.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I thought his attitude/moxie/whatever-you-wanna-call-it was exactly what Buffalo needed at that time.

Obviously we'll never know how things would've turned out if he had been drafted here, but...I'm obviously pretty okay with the guy we wound up with instead.

One is that the Browns VERY NEARLY took Josh Allen 1st overall instead of him. There were rumors right up until draft morning of the Browns building being split and some pushing very heavily for Josh. Instead, as we all know, the voices that wanted Baker won out, and the rest is history.

Two is that he had a pretty great rookie season, which led to instant stardom and him being in a bazillion TV commercials. He looked to all the world like the next huge NFL megastar QB. And then his sophomore season happened and, well...things went downhill in Cleveland, culminating in his ouster from the team, temporary journeyman status, and his current career resurrection in Tampa Bay. This was the latest example of "don't judge a QB after a great rookie season until he's able to replicate the success in year two". Opposing defensive coordinators have an offseason to study and to take away what you do best, and year two often doesn't go nearly as well as year one.

Anyway...I like Baker Mayfield. I'm glad he's doing well in Tampa Bay, and I hope he continues to do well in his career.

I think he will continue to do well in Tampa I figured because of his college career & his accuracy he would be gone before the Bills got to pick & probably the Browns didn't take Josh because of all of the talk about his accuracy not being that good .

I am glad the Bills got J.A. but Baker will have a long career in the NFL .

I'm just glad the Bills took J.A. because i was wanting them to take the other Josh that draft & if they would have i think just maybe he would have done a little better with the Bills just because of their development of players but i'm RELLY glad they didn't take him ! 

• Like (+1) 1

As a die hard OU Fan, I loved Baker.  But I knew McDermott wouldn't take him with Bakers extremely fiery attitude and McDermotts conservative approach.  I can tell you in Cleveland he came off wrong in the locker room as a rookie, overly cocky, I'm BMOC and you can't do that. But Cleveland in the end is gonna Cleveland and the Panthers owner is an idiot.

I am glad he is doing as well as he is, and I hope the guy keeps kicking *** except when he plays us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They caused him to go to Cleveland and play for that owner??? 

It starts at the top. I have some friends who are Browns fans, and I feel bad for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

They caused him to go to Cleveland and play for that owner??? 

It starts at the top. I have some friends who are Browns fans, and I feel bad for them. 

I knew someone that worked for one of the owners PILOT truck stops as a manager. He despised that guy by the time he left

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I knew someone that worked for one of the owners PILOT truck stops as a manager. He despised that guy by the time he left

Yeah, that surprises me exactly zero. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

We remember his time in Cleveland differently.

He had a good year in 2020, but aside from that he struggled.  

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yup,

I never had an issue with Baker, he gave Cleveland everything he had and they ***** on him, can't help but feel Baker going to have the last laugh when it's all said and done. 

25 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Yup,

I never had an issue with Baker, he gave Cleveland everything he had and they ***** on him, can't help but feel Baker going to have the last laugh when it's all said and done. 

The Browns had no choice. OBJ & his dad threw Baker under the bus. Baker got a 2nd opinion on his injury (which he's allowed to do) and was "cleared." The Browns front office decided both had to go, for a fresh start in the locker room. 

People forget that little tidbit. Baker's 2nd opinion on playing, he was in his rookie 4th year option. Browns were alive for a playoff birth, Baker threw 4 INTs in Green Bay on Xmas Eve on national tv. He was done right there in Cle.

Edited by DrBob806

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Tbh he was my favorite QB prospect in that draft class. Love his attitude and he’s a David vs. Goliath type to me. Hope his next set of commercials he is living in the pirate ship.

Same...I was on Baker and talking about it all over this board that whole college football season.  For a while I thought he was the most likely Bills pick until he climbed the ranks into top overall conversation and then went 1st.  

But heading into that draft night, it was clear Baker was going 1 and Darnold to the Jets.  I was certain Giants and Broncos were not taking a QB.  So my only 2 preferred choices were to trade up for Allen (my top choice), otherwise stay put and take Lamar.  Allen was a riser for me, he really won me over with all he showed during the draft process and became my top target after Baker. 

Darnold was someone I saw a lot of and I had concerns about his decision making in the NFL as I watched him make a lot of "WTF was he thinking" throws at USC and was not as enamored with him at USC as others were.  I would not have been against taking him, but I was just glad we didn't have to make that choice.  

Lamar was my actual 2nd choice behind Allen because I knew we could save some draft picks and not have to trade up for him and just stay put and take him.  I even started a thread leading up to the draft titled "My case for Lamar" centered around staying put rather than trading up.

Rosen I hated...I would have puked if we took him over Allen.  I knew too many people who directly knew him and all said the same things about him, that he was a total deuche, nobody likes him, and he lacks all the intangibles and drive to be a QB in the NFL.  To me, his peak ceiling was Jay Cutler and his floor was Ryan Leaf.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Mayfield has proven he's a pretty good QB. Why the Browns got rid of him remains a mystery to me. He was playing with a significant injury his final year there and gutted it out. The year before, he was good. And he was good this year. Almost rallied to beat the Bills after being down by a lot.

It shouldn't be a mystery - he behaved like an arrogant punk and not worthy of a second contract.

Would you want the Bills to pay that guy if we had drafted him?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I”m not a fan of “hot mic” leaks … seems a little dirty to me.   But, that’s me.   My life would be radically different if some of my “hot mic” moments were broadcast.  All of ours would, I suppose.

I’m in Tampa and can say the feeling among the fans is they’ll be glad to have him back.

While I’m generally not a fan of the “cocky”, I think Baker got a raw deal coming out and has matured and turned things around - or, perhaps, simply shown us what he could be with some stability in the organization.

Good for Baker, good for Tampa.

Edited by Neo

1 hour ago, julian said:

Damn him and his arm, and Chris Jones and his greatness and Dawkins and his inability to handle CJ greatness, if only Allen had been the last pick in the draft then he would have known not to go for the game leading TD and would have thrown it underneath to the guy who fell off the face of the earth 8 weeks prior.

Not sure why this went from Purdy to Allen but ok lol.

You’re exactly right.

Then, what happens the play after that, and the play after that, and the play after that, and the play after that, and the play after that, …. and the play after that.

I don’t know you from Adam, but I do know that the check down Allen was never a thing, isn’t a thing, and will never be a thing.   Thank the Almighty for that.

I think the Allen debate provide as much insight into individual posters as they do into Allen.   The guy is a thermonuclear bomb tossing freak with instincts for kill shots and the so, so, rare ability to back that package up way more often than not.

Having that horse in your stable, and hitching him to a plow, suggests a view of life I don’t understand.   Maybe it’s me.

If only Monet painted inside the lines and if only Picasso connected all the body parts correctly.

Total respect to you, by the way.  I’ll cast my lot with the guys who want the ball and swing for the fences when they’re good enough to be that guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Same...I was on Baker and talking about it all over this board that whole college football season.  For a while I thought he was the most likely Bills pick until he climbed the ranks into top overall conversation and then went 1st.  

But heading into that draft night, it was clear Baker was going 1 and Darnold to the Jets.  I was certain Giants and Broncos were not taking a QB.  So my only 2 preferred choices were to trade up for Allen (my top choice), otherwise stay put and take Lamar.  Allen was a riser for me, he really won me over with all he showed during the draft process and became my top target after Baker. 

Darnold was someone I saw a lot of and I had concerns about his decision making in the NFL as I watched him make a lot of "WTF was he thinking" throws at USC and was not as enamored with him at USC as others were.  I would not have been against taking him, but I was just glad we didn't have to make that choice.  

Lamar was my actual 2nd choice behind Allen because I knew we could save some draft picks and not have to trade up for him and just stay put and take him.  I even started a thread leading up to the draft titled "My case for Lamar" centered around staying put rather than trading up.

Rosen I hated...I would have puked if we took him over Allen.  I knew too many people who directly knew him and all said the same things about him, that he was a total deuche, nobody likes him, and he lacks all the intangibles and drive to be a QB in the NFL.  To me, his peak ceiling was Jay Cutler and his floor was Ryan Leaf.  

Wish I had as good of foresight as you.

While I had Baker as my QB1, I thought Darnold was a good prospect.

When the Bills pick was announced, my reaction was: “…Josh…” (“YES!”) “…Allen, QB, Wyoming…” (“NO!”). Never been so glad to be wrong!

(Saving a little face here: I loved both Wilson and Mahomes as prospects and was upset when we respectively traded up to instead take a track star and traded back out of the pick.)

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Is it really a mystery? The browns are currently as incompetent as we used to be...

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I've never been a big Mayfield fan and he's not at Josh Allen's level, but he's good NFL QB.  He's got the arm talent to make all of the necessary throws, has some mobility, and lots of moxie.  He really did get a raw deal in Cleveland.  His decline in play was clearly attributable to an injury.  And the TV commercials he made at the stadium (Progressive?) were funny, evidencing that the guy has some personality and sense of humor.  I actually like him more now than I ever did in the past because he's faced some substantial career adversity, toughed it out, and has come out the other side pretty successfully.  Good on Tampa for giving him the opportunity and good on Mayfield for making the most of it.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Heels20X6 said:

They knew he had a significant injury to his throwing arm and instead of shutting him down, let him gut it out leading to him having a very sub-par season.  Knowing that, they let him take all the blame for the team's performance and rarely stood up for the guy.  And to thank him for putting the team ahead of his own health, they dumped him unceremoniously for the Gummybear Bandit - Portrait of a @SS Grabber and made Mr. Massage the highest paid QB in the league.

Prior to that, he had a different OC every season and had no consistency on the coaching side of things.

Thanks for reminding me of all of this. 

I probably blocked it out because Baker Mayfield is a supreme douche. 

Had all of this happened to a decent person, I’d probably have some sympathy. 

But Mayfield has been nothing but an ass.hole since college. 

And he’s not a very good quarterback. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

And to the contrary.....

I was pretty confident he'd just be an "ok" starting QB that would keep his team in QB purgatory..........which is what he's become.

I don't particularly like him.........his underdog story is offset by his assh*le dog stories(which people now forget)..........and don't really care that he's doing well but do hope he gets a nice fat contract from Tampa so another team gets themselves in cap hell and maybe we can take advantage of that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

We remember his time in Cleveland differently.

He had a good year in 2020, but aside from that he struggled.  

Cleveland was 1-31 the two years prior to him getting there. That team was next level bad. Baker took them from awful to a near upset in KC in the divisional round. Then he got hurt

I think his attitude is great if you are winning, but it can run people the wrong way. I love Baker personally, glad to see he’s doing well 

49 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Cleveland was 1-31 the two years prior to him getting there. That team was next level bad. Baker took them from awful to a near upset in KC in the divisional round. Then he got hurt

I think his attitude is great if you are winning, but it can run people the wrong way. I love Baker personally, glad to see he’s doing well 

I don't want to diminish Baker's impact, but I'd credit more of their success to  Nick Chubb and the offensive line.

Mayfield is the type of QB that’s easy for fans on this forum to like, but he’d drive you all crazy if he was our QB. Mayfield is very average. It seems forgotten that Tampa was only 9-8 this season. I suppose it was a good comeback year for Mayfield, but someone had to win that division. Mayfield got overrated from playing on a really good Tampa roster. Sure, the goat led them to a worse record, but he was completely washed, and didn’t seem mentally with it.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Two is that he had a pretty great rookie season, which led to instant stardom and him being in a bazillion TV commercials.

Mayfield's rookie season was on par with what we saw from Stroud this season but with inferior coaching and talent around him:

Baker:  14 games had 3725 yards; 27 TD's & 14 INT's; rating = 94

Stroud:  15 games had 4108 yards; 23 TD's & 5 INT's; rating = 101

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was kind of a no brainer. He was given the starting job from Day 1, took the team to the Playoffs, and got a Playoff victory in Year 1. Given where he was, why would he want to restart somewhere else that could possibly be not as good of a fit? Why would the Bucs want to restart from square one at QB after going to the Playoffs and getting a win?

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I'll just point out that he had a pretty good third season - the year the Browns went 11-5 (95.9 passer rating and 65.5 QBR plus a 14 AV rating via PFR).

13 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Mayfield is the type of QB that’s easy for fans on this forum to like, but he’d drive you all crazy if he was our QB. Mayfield is very average. It seems forgotten that Tampa was only 9-8 this season. I suppose it was a good comeback year for Mayfield, but someone had to win that division. Mayfield got overrated from playing on a really good Tampa roster. Sure, the goat led them to a worse record, but he was completely washed, and didn’t seem mentally with it.

Brady was actually very good last season. They couldn't run the ball at all because of line issues, and that killed their play action game. In the run game, they were literally 32nd in rushing yards, 32nd in rushing TDs, and 32nd in yards per attempt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Brady was actually very good last season. They couldn't run the ball at all because of line issues, and that killed their play action game. In the run game, they were literally 32nd in rushing yards, 32nd in rushing TDs, and 32nd in yards per attempt. 

Brady could probably still be playing. His skills never really dipped at all. Honestly really impressive 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Tbh he was my favorite QB prospect in that draft class. Love his attitude and he’s a David vs. Goliath type to me. Hope his next set of commercials he is living in the pirate ship.

TBH that last season in CLE his body was banged TF upppppppp. i thoiught they did him a dirty. one of my things i wonder is, he plays exceptionally well with the chip on his shoulder..... if he gets a 30m/yr x X-years contract, is that chip going to fall off, or will he keep grinding and putting in the work he did this year. i think he will, but its also a fair question IMO

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.