Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

“Yes I do think i’ll be back. We have unfinished  business.”

It’s really not that hard.

Even if he ended up being wrong and the team traded/cut him, who would ever hold it against him for saying he’ll be back to win a championship? Literally nobody. Ever.

I love Diggs but this is one area that he could get better with.

Or maybe he does it on purpose just to get the media riled up 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knows.

Did you watch the whole interview, or are you basing it on that 19s? There’s a lot more to what he said.

I find Diggs will take his time and answer a question genuinely if it’s an engaging question, kind of like Shady used to do, but will ramble in circles meaninglessly at the tired, inane stuff. Personally, I think he enjoys the chaos that essentially saying nothing in those moments creates. Cuz at the end of the day what did he really say that created this… essentially, that he has no control in it, which given his contract, is the absolute truth. 

• Like (+1) 2

Best WR in franchise history and the fan base wants to chase him out of town just like Jason Peters. 

Same people wanted to get rid of Josh Allen and bench Kelly for Reich. 

The inability of people to recognize greatness when it is right in front of them astonishes me. 

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This will be unpopular , but, I have made my peace if the team decides to eat the dead cap, and trade Diggs…

The Bills are gonna have to eventually rip off the bandaid (get younger and cheaper)…The sooner the better…Plus I think the FO might be recognizing Diggs doesn’t show up for the playoffs anyway…

Do what you gotta do…I would take a 2nd rounder, if possible…Go Bills…👍

Do you have any idea what that would do to the cap and this team for 2024?

One move would destroy a season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, transient said:

Did you watch the whole interview, or are you basing it on that 19s? There’s a lot more to what he said.

I find Diggs will take his time and answer a question genuinely if it’s an engaging question, kind of like Shady used to do, but will ramble in circles meaninglessly at the tired, inane stuff. Personally, I think he enjoys the chaos that essentially saying nothing in those moments creates. Cuz at the end of the day what did he really say that created this… essentially, that he has no control in it, which given his contract, is the absolute truth. 

ready: 

he has control in the contract he signed 

his contract keeps him here 

“I’m ready to go get a championship for the bills this year.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Best WR in franchise history and the fan base wants to chase him out of town just like Jason Peters. 

Same people wanted to get rid of Josh Allen and bench Kelly for Reich. 

The inability of people to recognize greatness when it is right in front of them astonishes me. 

Do you have any idea what that would do to the cap and this team for 2024?

One move would destroy a season.

Diggs is CLINGING to that greatness. Just barely. 
He's shady with these responses. Imagine you’re in a relationship and your wife says “yeah, I don’t know who’s hitting it next year, we’ll see” lol. Just not the right look for me Im sorry. Id love to move on from him but its not realistic. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

ready: 

he has control in the contract he signed 

his contract keeps him here 

“I’m ready to go get a championship for the bills this year.”

No offense, but I find the “this is what I wanted a person to say in the moment” comments, when someone didn’t say anything technically wrong or inflammatory, disingenuous.

By virtue of my profession, I’ve had to give numerous interviews to media and have engaged in numerous public speaking engagements with cameras filming live. I’ve had to do it upwards of 20 times, so it’s not new to me, but it’s not core piece of my chosen profession. I don’t enjoy it. I’m uncomfortable and counting down the minutes. And I can say unequivocally, not once has something come out exactly as I would have liked it to in the moment. Hell, half the time I don’t even remember saying what I said when it see it broadcast afterwards…and I have never been in a situation where it has been hostile or critical of me. 

Diggs has a habit of saying things this way… he’s done it his whole career in front of the camera… there’s probably a reason why he avoids interviews… people need to get over Diggs being Diggs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno about narcissist but def. seem to trend towards attention seeking and drama with NFL WRs and CBs

As a non boarded, non accredited, uninformed individual on basic things while internet certified psychologist I do my best to diagnose mental health online.

19 minutes ago, transient said:

No offense, but I find the “this is what I wanted a person to say in the moment” comments, when someone didn’t say anything technically wrong or inflammatory, disingenuous.

By virtue of my profession, I’ve had to give numerous interviews to media and have engaged in numerous public speaking engagements with cameras filming live. I’ve had to do it upwards of 20 times, so it’s not new to me, but it’s not core piece of my chosen profession. I don’t enjoy it. I’m uncomfortable and counting down the minutes. And I can say unequivocally, not once has something come out exactly as I would have liked it to in the moment. Hell, half the time I don’t even remember saying what I said when it see it broadcast afterwards…and I have never been in a situation where it has been hostile or critical of me. 

Diggs has a habit of saying things this way… he’s done it his whole career in front of the camera… there’s probably a reason why he avoids interviews… people need to get over Diggs being Diggs. 

yea, but diggs is not you. And he is not only doing it in the fly. He’s no showing events, he’s posting on social media. It’s a persona he’s intentionally curated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

Regarding Diggs I have two questions

was he in fact playing with an injury ?

speculated question

did he in fact lose faith in McDermott at 5-5 and just say I’m here so whatever happens happens ?

something changed and he just didn’t rally so credit Josh for being the actual leader and saying no I wanna win!!!

team ended up 2nd seed in afc - after being 5-5 and he doesn’t feel motivated to be here?  Something is definitely off 

lose to the chiefs or not 

Well technically Diggs drops played a huge role in losing this last ine

mcdermott had them in place to win at the end of we want to get technical 

Sure he did. He had them in place with 13 seconds left a couple years too

• Haha (+1) 1

Crazy he acts all flippant and noncommittal with this guys and cryptic with tweets and then when he talks to our media during the season, he acts all charming and funny and like nothing was ever going on. 

(thats was a crazy run on sentence. Sorry)

Diggs wants out.  Something broke between him and the Bills.  However, he knows the cap situation and knows he's going nowhere.  He'll play for the Bills, and is enough of a competator to play well, but I think once it is feasable, he's gone.  Unless something drastic changes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yea, but diggs is not you. And he is not only doing it in the fly. He’s no showing events, he’s posting on social media. It’s a persona he’s intentionally curated.

And it hasn’t changed… and it’s very unlikely to change. Personally, I’d be saying WTF is up with Diggs if he was suddenly cheerful and forthcoming and NOT cryptic. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I think you are overstating how eager the media are to create a story with I mid tier WR1 in a low end media market. mostly  they are just reporting the basics of a situation and said WR creates drama that is acknowledged by them

he simply could come out full throated and say “you know my brothers wild with those comments, but I love him…. And I love playing in Buffalo.” 

The amount of notifications from articles writing about this even before his comments says you are wrong. The media is very eager to write about a top WR possibly switching teams. It generates views for them. We saw this all year long. And all offseason long bc he was angry about the pathetic performance against the bengals. They certainly aren't writing about it because there is legitimate news on this. The media loves speculation and were going to talk about Diggs moving on regardless of whether or not he says "I'm looking forward to coming back next year" or "I can't tell you what the future holds, but ill be ready". If you really think the media would stop because he said the former and is only writing about it because he said the latter, then I am sorry, that's just silly.

Edited by What a Tuel

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

“Yes I do think i’ll be back. We have unfinished  business.”

It’s really not that hard.

Even if he ended up being wrong and the team traded/cut him, who would ever hold it against him for saying he’ll be back to win a championship? Literally nobody. Ever.

I love Diggs but this is one area that he could get better with.

Or maybe he does it on purpose just to get the media riled up 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knows.

Last year he said all the right things after the drama with the coaching staff and the media still took jabs at him wanting to be here. So sorry, I do not believe the media would let up. They know what generates clicks and run with it. The idea that Diggs can answer with something that they can't write about assumes the Media is bad at what they do.

1 hour ago, transient said:

Did you watch the whole interview, or are you basing it on that 19s? 

I did. In fact I watched ALL of his interviews from the Pro Bowl because i’m a big Diggs fan.

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I think Diggs just enjoys ******* with the people asking stupid questions non stop and the tweeterer universe.

I think it’s possible that you are right about this. And if so, he brings some of the media negativity upon himself by doing this. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone saying this isn’t cryptic or weird is just using blinders. He knows his contract doesn’t allow (financially, for the Bills) a trade so even if he wasn’t happy here, why not just say “I can’t wait to go at it with Josh and the boys again next year” or something equally non-attention grabbing. He’s a narcissist just like his brother. 

Because saying that he can't wait to play with Josh doesn't keep his name in the news. It's not so much about being a narcissist, as it is the new way people market themselves. 

I don't like it, but I get it. You need to keep your name out there in social media for marketing purposes any way you can. It's all about clicks, views and followers. People who have more of these get paid more.

Do you think you’ll be in Buffalo next year?

”Well, yeah, I’m under contract. Unless you know something I don’t…”

Bills knew what they were getting in Diggs when they sent a 1st, two 4ths and a 6th to MIN. I’m actually a little surprised the Vikings got that much considering another high profile WR had been traded just before him and it wasn’t for a 1st. Name escapes me, thinking it was Hopkins? Also didn’t have to sign him to a 4 year $96M extension when a two year money raise would’ve sufficed given his age. Bills made their own bed. 

You are correct about one thing. Diggs has always been a borderline malcontent to the media his whole career. It’s a very popular trait for some, and a very unpopular trait for a lot more.

40 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The amount of notifications from articles writing about this even before his comments says you are wrong. The media is very eager to write about a top WR possibly switching teams. It generates views for them. We saw this all year long. And all offseason long bc he was angry about the pathetic performance against the bengals. They certainly aren't writing about it because there is legitimate news on this. The media loves speculation and were going to talk about Diggs moving on regardless of whether or not he says "I'm looking forward to coming back next year" or "I can't tell you what the future holds, but ill be ready". If you really think the media would stop because he said the former and is only writing about it because he said the latter, then I am sorry, that's just silly.

that you’ve curated a hyper bills focused media bubble doesnt make this big news

and that his sketchy answers and behavior are being acknowledged doesn’t mean they are creating a narrative out of thin air 

• Agree 2

clip completely misses the context of his initial response, which was paraphrasing “you’ve all (the media) already asked me these questions and my responses have always been the same”, and that the people in the locker room know how he feels and know his intentions. He takes accountability for his dropped passes, saying there are many plays he’d like back

Yes and no. The full interview has many questions, spanning several topics. So obviously his answers vary depending on the topic.

All of the answers you mentioned are not in response to the question of whether he thinks he will be back in Buffalo, so you are misrepresenting the interview a bit. Some questions are about the plays he wants back (as you mentioned the dropped passes), and another question is about his relationship with Josh (which he responds by not actually answering but instead talking about money and contracts which is odd because you should probably give a positive answer considering he is your friend and QB), and another question elicits the response about how he gets the same questions over and over (as you mention). But no - it’s not like all these answers were in response to the question of whether he thinks he will be in Buffalo next year. His initial response to that was “I don’t know”.

You’re combining an entire interview of responses into one answer when it was actually several topics, and his opinion changed depending on the topic (which makes sense).

Personally I think it’s interesting seeing the distribution of responses - on one side there is the media that definitely makes too much of it. Then on the other side there are fans like you that want to completely dismiss it all as absolutely nothing. I attempt to find the middle ground (sometimes failing but the middle is often where the truth lay). In my life experience it seems that so many find that middle ground impossible to look at.

Honestly its not that hard to give a positive answer that leaves the media with nothing to grasp onto. 98% of NFL players figure it out. Diggs is smart. He could do it to if he wanted to. As others said, maybe it’s just a game to him and he likes messing with the media but it’s not really a game that benefits him (or the team) so I wish he just wouldn’t.

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

A couple of these quotes have been sprinkled in various threads, but this probably deserves it’s own thread since the media will run with these.

I don’t know if he’s doing it on purpose, or if he doesn’t realize how it comes off, but his cryptic comments definitely stir things up.

I wonder how difficult it is for someone to say in response to these questions:

1) Josh and I have a great relationship;

2) I want to be a Buffalo Bill next season.

It took him longer to avoid actually answering the question.

• Agree 2

Too often here, you read that his tantrums/outbursts are just because he wants to win.  I say BS.   The majority of players are driven by a SB win, yet don’t behave like a bratty teenager. 

Diggs is just a crybaby diva.  

Brutally honest take…I can’t wait for both Diggs & Non to be former Bills. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

I wonder how difficult it is for someone to say in response to these questions:

1) Josh and I have a great relationship;

2) I want to be a Buffalo Bill next season.

It took him longer to avoid actually answering the question.

Well said.

This is what I have been attempting to articulate. It is not difficult to give the right answer. It’s actually much more difficult to talk cryptically than it is to say what you said above.

Or put a different way. Does ANYONE on this forum think Josh Allen would answer a reporters question about being in Buffalo with an answer of “I don’t know. I don’t control the money and all that.” ZERO chance.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The very moment he made a public spectacle on the sidelines throwing his arms in the air and chirping 17 for the whole world to witness was the start of the end of Diggs great run in Buffalo.

I recently seen some former players discussing this situation with Diggs the other day, can’t remember who but they made an interesting point, they said don’t ever let management figure out they can win without you and that’s exactly what the Bills did over their 2nd half run to the 2 seed.

Diggs served his purpose but the team has failed to win a championship with him and now have proven they can win without him, the sooner he’s gone the better for the Bills and especially 17 who now at 28 years of age has complete ownership of this team and can elevate some young blue chip 1st rnd WR.

• Like (+1) 2

One thing I kinda took from the interview, and maybe I'm reading too deep into it, is that when Brady took over, it was gonna limit his catches. I'm purely speculating here, but I believe Dorsey had it in his plan to keep Diggs involved at all times, and after Brady took over, they had to change things up a bit, which obviously worked because we won out. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, julian said:

Diggs served his purpose but the team has failed to win a championship with him and now have proven they can win without him, the sooner he’s gone the better for the Bills and especially 17 who now at 28 years of age has complete ownership of this team and can elevate some young blue chip 1st rnd WR.

I think they would move on from him tomorrow … but this is the dilemma right… 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they would move on from him tomorrow … but this is the dilemma right… 

Absolutely, I just find it weird that many fans can’t see or just refuse to see what’s actually been happening with Diggs, people minimizing and some outright calling it media driven narrative.

I understand not wanting Diggs to leave, he was great for Allen and exactly what 17 needed at that time, but it’s pretty obvious to anyone willing to accept it that the relationship is over and Allen is ready to raise a 1st rnd WR of his own.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s all so funny to me - I have no issues with Diggs being cryptic.  He has no allegiance to Buffalo.  He signed a deal, he plays because he has a deal.  He doesn’t need to say he loves it, and he honors his contract every year.

i don’t say I look forward to coming to my job, and when the market was insane a few years ago everyone lacked allegiance to their employer.

Diggs is a little different in how he approaches the media.  I don’t pay any attention unless he decides to not show up on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, julian said:

Absolutely, I just find it weird that many fans can’t see or just refuse to see what’s actually been happening with Diggs, people minimizing and some outright calling it media driven narrative.

I understand not wanting Diggs to leave, he was great for Allen and exactly what 17 needed at that time, but it’s pretty obvious to anyone willing to accept it that the relationship is over and Allen is ready to raise a 1st rnd WR of his own.

So it might not be a complete media driven narrative, but to think they don’t have about 50% of the blame is naive as well.

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So it might not be a complete media driven narrative, but to think they don’t have about 50% of the blame is naive as well.

I’m the last person to defend the media on any front lol. But this started with Diggs and will end with Diggs playing somewhere else at some point and that’s exactly what Diggs wants and I’m guessing what Allen and the team wants as well.

50% ? IDK how to quantify that but ok if that’s the case I wouldn’t be surprised.

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes and no. The full interview has many questions, spanning several topics. So obviously his answers vary depending on the topic.

All of the answers you mentioned are not in response to the question of whether he thinks he will be back in Buffalo, so you are misrepresenting the interview a bit. Some questions are about the plays he wants back (as you mentioned the dropped passes), and another question is about his relationship with Josh (which he responds by not actually answering but instead talking about money and contracts which is odd because you should probably give a positive answer considering he is your friend and QB), and another question elicits the response about how he gets the same questions over and over (as you mention). But no - it’s not like all these answers were in response to the question of whether he thinks he will be in Buffalo next year. His initial response to that was “I don’t know”.

You’re combining an entire interview of responses into one answer when it was actually several topics, and his opinion changed depending on the topic (which makes sense).

Personally I think it’s interesting seeing the distribution of responses - on one side there is the media that definitely makes too much of it. Then on the other side there are fans like you that want to completely dismiss it all as absolutely nothing. I attempt to find the middle ground (sometimes failing but the middle is often where the truth lay). In my life experience it seems that so many find that middle ground impossible to look at.

Honestly it’s not that hard to give a positive answer that leaves the media with nothing to grasp onto. 98% of NFL players figure it out. Diggs is smart. He could do it to if he wanted to. As others said, maybe it’s just a game to him and he likes messing with the media but it’s not really a game that benefits him (or the team) so I wish he just wouldn’t.

Fans like you… Classic… 🤦‍♂️

You’re a self proclaimed Diggs fan; when has he EVER said something that was straightforward? Even when he’s giving the answers that people want to hear they’re wandering, meandering, hard to follow responses. At this point, I just assume it’s how he communicates. 

In this instance, in this 19s clip, what I hear is him saying, in response to a stupid, random question about whether he expects to be here next season, that he doesn’t know about the money and all that… presumably means cap related issues… says nothing is ever certain, which is true in the NFL… and then ends the interview saying as far as his side is concerned, he’s got no surprises for you (the reporter) and he’ll be himself next season, which I take to mean unless the FO does something out of his control he’ll be on the field in Buffalo and play his game. 

Same meandering, hard to follow responses he always gives with lots left to interpretation, most of the time leading to pointless hand wringing about what he’s really saying… or not saying. 

I think what this “fan like me” is really saying is this is the same old people hanging on every last meaningless word, trying to prognosticate what it all means so they can be the first to say “see, I told you so” in the event something does happen… and in doing so the same tired old💩gets blown out of proportion. I find it cringeworthy… kinda like when my wife watches an episode of any one of those godawful “Housewives of” nonsense shows when I’m in earshot.  

Gonna be a long offseason.