Bobby Babich Staying, Promoted to DC!

bills742

Babich has learned behind one of the best out there in McD.  Gives him a chance to take McDs defense and run with it.

Also gives McD a chance to focus on other components of the HC role with more intention.

Really like the move.  I dont know what other potential DC options were out there that would make me MORE excited than Babich - and he wasn't a guy that I was interested in losing.

Good, smart move.  Let's see how he does.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s 2027.

Josh Allen won his second MVP

Bills won another SB

HC Joe Brady and his assistant HC Bobby Babich win their “Of the year” awards. 
Life is good.

TBD is the land of peace and tranquility for many seasons. 

Who the hell wants that ?!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

What a sham. Did they even interview Leslie Frazier??

Leslie was in vacation… in Miami…,

Interesting that Babich spent some time in Carolina on D staff as an underling.  Wonder if he looks at the talent at LB in Milano Bernard and Williams and develops a real 4-3 for better run fits while still being able to play the pass when teams go 12 or 13 on the Bills.  Carolina used Davis Keuchly and Thompson on the field a lot in 2015. 

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what I wanted to see too.

McDermott, while a good DC, needs to go back to the job he's getting paid for, which is Head Coach. Let your coordinators coordinate, and worry about overseeing the ENTIRE team and keeping all 3 units aligned with the single vision, rowing in the same direction.

Agreed, although there is one more move I think I would like to see and that is a switch at ST Coordinator.  I feel like this unit was a weak spot this year and maybe a change will do the unit some good.  

I think there are more questions on ST than people realize too.  I mean what do we make of Bass, felt like he regressed some this year, but more importantly there were multiple moments where it felt like he had lost the trust of the coaching staff when you got above 45 yards.  

Then there is the punting situation...I know its been a hop topic around here, and have no idea if the FO would consider a move like this, but I do think it would be a good move and prudent to bring in Araiza to at least compete for the spot.  He was a top punting prospect for a reason, can't imagine he would cost much with him currently needing a job, and we need a punter upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Congrats to Bobby. He has earned it. Both as safeties coach and linebackers coach his work has been stellar. Even if he isn't calling plays (which I don't expect year 1) I think he will be an asset. 

I actually think he’s going to call plays. Why else take the position when you could’ve taken one outside the organization with a different team

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Nice. McDermott can be an actual head coach this year, and if he fails again we have Ben Johnson lined up for next year. This is the most hopeful I've been about the future in a while.

There will be shinier objects than Ben Johnson at some point,  For now let’s focus on shiny player objects.  Who will be this year’s “must have, can’t miss”  2024 version of Beckham, Ertz, Hopkins, etc.  Please let me know ASAP.

6 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I actually think he’s going to call plays. Why else take the position when you could’ve taken one outside the organization with a different team

Can you please provide details on the offers he received?

As many know I’m far from a McD fan but I think this has to be agood move. McD biggest flaw is REALLY poor in-game management of clock, time outs and general strategy. I’ve got to think taking DC play calling off of his to do list can only help him there. That’s of course assuming that McD seeks help to study the lacking skill set I listed above. Let’s hope and pray! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Can you please provide details on the offers he received?

Lol just stop. You know he was interviewed by 3 different teams. They weren’t bringing him to tell him hey if you get the job we’re not going to let you call plays. I’d be very surprised if he’s not calling plays

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Can’t wait to hear the whining about McDermott’s puppet.  Go!

What about the…” we didn’t hire someone with passed HC experience that we can replace him with, so how can we fire him now”

1 hour ago, Process said:

Do we know if Babich will actually be calling plays? 

Babich supposedly got three interviews with the Fish. You know they were going to give him playcalling, so it’s hard to imagine McD could keep him here without giving him that responsibility. But what do I know? 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Nah, just AJE, or really none of them. Time to reset the DE depth, you can't do much other than hope Von fully comes back next season. Otherwise the Bills are gonna have to be really creative with their blitzing

AJE.. no. D. Jones , hell yes!

I have no idea if this is good news or not.

His resume is a little thin.  But he did an impressive job with the LBs this year.  

He may be an up-and-coming coaching superstar.  Or he might be a bum.  I'll trust 'the process' and hope for the best.  In any case, we'll still see Sean McDermott's defense on the field next year and that's mostly a good thing.  

44 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Because he likes McDermott and thinks this is a great opportunity to learn how to be a successful DC?

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Bills have consistently ranked in the top 10 and/or top 5 in DVOA and points scored since McDermott arrived.

Babich has been a key cog in the coaching wheel the whole time. First he did great work with the safeties, as Hyde and Poyer both became All-Pro caliber players. Then he moved to linebacker, where Milano has developed into an All-Pro and Bernard just had an outstanding sophomore season.

I understand ideological frustration with continuity, given that the Bills have yet to win a Super Bowl under McDermott. To complain about this specific move, though, seems like misplaced frustration. Babich is a good coach, as evidenced by his multiple interviews elsewhere, and this is a good hire.

Oh wow, I knew about the LBs but not the safety group.

2017 feels like forever ago when I remember there was skepticism when the Bills went out and plugged in a couple of journeymen (Hyde and Poyer) into safety and it wound up being the most underappreciated safety tandem in the league for years. 

Linebacker this year speaks for itself. I was legitimately worried at the departure of Edmunds, not so much because I thought Edmunds was a runaway All Pro, but feared the drop off in his place. Terrel Bernard stepped in and by Week 2 looked completely comfortable and then played to the point where I still wonder if we win that Chiefs game if he's on the field. And even with those losses Dodson, Spector and a rookie Dorian Williams all looked ready to play. Considering these were 3rd round or lower picks, clearly coaching had something to do with it, they weren't getting into the league with elite measurements.

I would have loved a more experienced guy like Vrabel, but I would prefer to keep young talent if possible. I see a youth movement coming at OBD

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

“we should get rid of all the coaches the players love and respect and play hard for because I’m mad on the internet”

I guess you'd love to come back for another few years on the cheap then? Pretty please?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Bills have consistently ranked in the top 10 and/or top 5 in DVOA and points scored since McDermott arrived.

Babich has been a key cog in the coaching wheel the whole time. First he did great work with the safeties, as Hyde and Poyer both became All-Pro caliber players. Then he moved to linebacker, where Milano has developed into an All-Pro and Bernard just had an outstanding sophomore season.

I understand ideological frustration with continuity, given that the Bills have yet to win a Super Bowl under McDermott. To complain about this specific move, though, seems like misplaced frustration. Babich is a good coach, as evidenced by his multiple interviews elsewhere, and this is a good hire.

He very well could be a great DC but to this point he is unproven at the position just like Dorsey was and just like Brady is.  Not a fan of gambling with these BFF hires.

We need a DC that can scheme to beat the Chiefs…for the next several years, the SB goes through them and through 4 post seasons they own the Bills (see DVOA post).  

There is zero reason to suspect this Bills team can unseat the Chiefs with the retention and repositioning of the coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

1) this is coaching staff, not personnel and 2) neither Babich or Brady were our coordinators at the start of last season, so even your "the same people" comment isn't accurate.  On the staff, sure?  Leading their side of the ball?  Took a few weeks for Brady to get that... :beer: 

yummm cool aid…my fav.

• Haha (+1) 1

This will give McD a chance to devote his full attention to head coaching.  There is a reason teams have coordinators and assistants.  I'd rather have McD squarely focused on his head coaching responsibilities during a game.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As many know I’m far from a McD fan but I think this has to be agood move. McD biggest flaw is REALLY poor in-game management of clock, time outs and general strategy. I’ve got to think taking DC play calling off of his to do list can only help him there. That’s of course assuming that McD seeks help to study the lacking skill set I listed above. Let’s hope and pray! 

Problem is he struggled with these things when Frazier was here. I hope he can correct them but I’m not holding my breath. 

6 minutes ago, Hotdog water said:

Can’t say that I am thrilled about this. I would have liked to have an outsider’s perspective. My fear is that he will be another yes man and we will get more of the same. I hope I am wrong.

I agree.  I'm sick of having a top five defense despite a constant barrage of injuries year after year.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Problem is he struggled with these things when Frazier was here. I hope he can correct them but I’m not holding my breath. 

Which is exactly why I said he better use the extra time to study up on those obvious shortcomings. If not, it’s nothing more than rinse and repeat. 

I hope he can make the jump from position coach to calling the plays. The young man has earned the promotion (and at least 30% of Dodson's next contract). Now let's see if he can avoid the mistakes of McDermott's 4 minute defense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.