The last 5 years of Bills football

C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

McD is not a top 15 HC. 

Look at what’s happening with HCs (Harbaugh, Billacheat). Put it this way, if McD were on his sofa, would he get a new HC gig? I don’t think so. Fine DC, Ops Mgr but bad O, OC, game Mgr. 

it will be tough to overcome the final 8 with McD

If McD was fired, he’d have a head coaching job tomorrow.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yards per play given up in each of our last 5 playoff losses (kneeldowns excluded):

Chiefs 2024 - 8.5

Bengals 2023 - 6.0

Chiefs 2022 - 7.6

Chiefs 2021 - 7.4

Texans 2020 - 5.6

As a point of reference, the worst defense in the league this gave up 6.0 yards per play. Our best effort on here, 5.6 yards per play, would have ranked 27th.

So there are two possibilities to finally break through in the playoffs. Either our defense stops giving up historically bad yards per play, or we build up our offensive supporting cast so that it can consistently produce historically great yards per play. It's very hard to win games when your yards per play differential is negative.

Has a top ranked regular season defense ever disappeared this many years in a row in the playoffs ?

• Like (+1) 1

I was bored last night and watched replays of the Eagles vs Buccs and Chiefs vs Bills.  The Eagles were an absolute mess.  They had no discipline, cohesion, etc... just a terribly coached team.  The Buccaneers were better, but they were far from great.  The Bills and Chiefs felt like a heavyweight prize fight.  Both teams made mistakes, but they were clearly focused and well coached. 

The difference was striking, and as much as some fans want to deny it, the Bills are a really good team with a really good coach, but the Chiefs are an even better team with an even better coach.  When you refuse to give credit to your opponents, you're always going to assume that every loss is a referendum on your own staff.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How did we not make a Super Bowl: 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-5-years

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 1st in points allowed/ game 

- 3rd in first downs 

- 2nd in 3rd down conversion %

honestly, I have absolutely loved this ride. To have an amazing qb where playoffs are a given every year is such an amazing feeling. But man, a team with that resume should have made more than one championship game. 😢 

just wanted to bum everyone out on a Saturday morning. 

It's simple the Bills did not try to surround Allen with the best available offensive players to fully exploit his skills.  A secondary reason was that the head coach was not up to the task in later round playoff games against better competition.

Because Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs exist, and they are perhaps one of the best teams of all time. The Mahomes and Reid combo is one of the best QB/Head Coaching combos of all time.

They need to get through the Chiefs if they ever want a Super Bowl.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Because Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs exist, and they are perhaps one of the best teams of all time. The Mahomes and Reid combo is one of the best QB/Head Coaching combos of all time.

They need to get through the Chiefs if they ever want a Super Bowl.

Very similar to Manning & the Pats.  That was his nemesis for so long.

Then he broke through in '06, in spectacular fashion, coming back from 21-3.  And didn't really look back after that - he won the last part of that rivalry.

That's what I'm hoping for.  He who laughs last, and all that. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Billl said:

When you refuse to give credit to your opponents, you're always going to assume that every loss is a referendum on your own staff.

Who isn’t giving their opponents credit? All I’ve heard from the players to coaches are praises for the opponents when the Bills lose. If you’re referring to fans opinions here then it’s irrelevant. 

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

just cross your fingers we don’t meet Jacksonville in the playoffs either!

We'll pry go 7-1 at home again next year sweeping the division and beating quality teams like the Chiefs and 49ers.  You know the Jaguars will somehow be the one loss.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Billl said:

I was bored last night and watched replays of the Eagles vs Buccs and Chiefs vs Bills.  The Eagles were an absolute mess.  They had no discipline, cohesion, etc... just a terribly coached team.  The Buccaneers were better, but they were far from great.  The Bills and Chiefs felt like a heavyweight prize fight.  Both teams made mistakes, but they were clearly focused and well coached. 

The difference was striking, and as much as some fans want to deny it, the Bills are a really good team with a really good coach, but the Chiefs are an even better team with an even better coach.  When you refuse to give credit to your opponents, you're always going to assume that every loss is a referendum on your own staff.

That's what I see when I watch so many other games.  There is just some bad coaching out there.  It's hard to find a good coach, and almost impossible to find a great coach.  The Chiefs are lucky.  Reid is at the top of his game, and the best out there.  And Philly fans couldn't wait to move on from him - which shows how easy it is to have a "grass is always greener" kind of mindset.

As for the bolded, I don't think that's so much it, at least here.  It may seem like we don't credit the Chiefs, but that's because most here can't stand them, which is natural given that they're basically the new Patriots for us.  We've had hand-wringing on this board about McDermott for awhile now, and the playoff futility goes beyond just not being able to beat KC. This team has underachieved to this point.

I'm okay w/ McD, but I'd prefer to see them go after Belichick or Vrabel while both are available. Belichick because he's the best (when he doesn't GM), and Vrabel because I think he'd bring a mental toughness that this team needs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Peyton Manning considered a top 3 QB of all time only won 2 himself, the last one being carried by an insanely good Bronco’s defense. Not to mention Elway, Favre, Brees are top 10 QBs and only have one a piece as well. People don’t understand how hard it is to win it all even with an elite QB. 

Some coach once said "It's hard to win in this league". 

IMO many here are so afraid the Bills go back to irrelevant again that they are afraid to change the coach. McDermott has taken this team as far as he can. His philosophy is too old school for what wins in this league now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

honestly, I have absolutely loved this ride. To have an amazing qb where playoffs are a given every year is such an amazing feeling. But man, a team with that resume should have made more than one championship game. 😢 

Curious to know if the other 4 teams in the top 5 of those categories all made a Super Bowl or not

1 hour ago, Success said:

That's what I see when I watch so many other games.  There is just some bad coaching out there.  It's hard to find a good coach, and almost impossible to find a great coach.  The Chiefs are lucky.  Reid is at the top of his game, and the best out there.  And Philly fans couldn't wait to move on from him - which shows how easy it is to have a "grass is always greener" kind of mindset.

As for the bolded, I don't think that's so much it, at least here.  It may seem like we don't credit the Chiefs, but that's because most here can't stand them, which is natural given that they're basically the new Patriots for us.  We've had hand-wringing on this board about McDermott for awhile now, and the playoff futility goes beyond just not being able to beat KC. This team has underachieved to this point.

I'm okay w/ McD, but I'd prefer to see them go after Belichick or Vrabel while both are available. Belichick because he's the best (when he doesn't GM), and Vrabel because I think he'd bring a mental toughness that this team needs.

I agree with the bad coaching part. IMO watching other teams, especially those with top offenses is how easy they move the ball. They also have a lot more explosive plays more often.  All through that winning streak and the game against KC the offense struggled to score most games. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I agree with the bad coaching part. IMO watching other teams, especially those with top offenses is how easy they move the ball. They also have a lot more explosive plays more often.  All through that winning streak and the game against KC the offense struggled to score most games. 

Becauase kc has one of the best defenses in the league! 

Ive posted this elsewhere but you are flat wrong about how easy other teams move the ball.  They also have down games and tough stretches.  You just aren't emotionally invested in them so it doesnt matter as much and you aren't as critical.

Here are the top 5 offenses by ppg (buffalo finished 6th):

Dallas - scored 16 against a bad cards team before kyler came back, and 10 each against sf and buffalo. 

Miami- 17 against philly, 14 against kc (7 in the rematch), 19 against balt, and 14 against buffalo with the division on the line.

San fran - 17 3 weeks in a row against cle, minn, and cin (2 of those 3 didnt make the playoffs).  19 against the ravens.

Balt - 19 against indy and 10 against pitt ( with lamar).

Det - 6 against baltimore, 13 vs chicago, and 19 against dallas.

Buffalo also finished 4th in ypg.

The issue is the team in their way had the 2nd best ypg and ppg against (both better than buffalo) while Buffalo brought an incredibly banged up defense.

19 minutes ago, section122 said:

Becauase kc has one of the best defenses in the league! 

Ive posted this elsewhere but you are flat wrong about how easy other teams move the ball.  They also have down games and tough stretches.  You just aren't emotionally invested in them so it doesnt matter as much and you aren't as critical.

Here are the top 5 offenses by ppg (buffalo finished 6th):

Dallas - scored 16 against a bad cards team before kyler came back, and 10 each against sf and buffalo. 

Miami- 17 against philly, 14 against kc (7 in the rematch), 19 against balt, and 14 against buffalo with the division on the line.

San fran - 17 3 weeks in a row against cle, minn, and cin (2 of those 3 didnt make the playoffs).  19 against the ravens.

Balt - 19 against indy and 10 against pitt ( with lamar).

Det - 6 against baltimore, 13 vs chicago, and 19 against dallas.

Buffalo also finished 4th in ypg.

The issue is the team in their way had the 2nd best ypg and ppg against (both better than buffalo) while Buffalo brought an incredibly banged up defense.

You're flat out wrong. In 8 of 17 regular season games Buffalo scored more than 24 points. 

Det did it 13 times

Bal did it 11 times 

SF did it 12 times

Dal did it 10 times

Miami did it 8 times too but that game they beat Denver inflates their offensive stats. 

Besides points, you watch other offenses and see how wide open WRs get and the YAC they make. 

57 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

You're flat out wrong. In 8 of 17 regular season games Buffalo scored more than 24 points. 

Det did it 13 times

Bal did it 11 times 

SF did it 12 times

Dal did it 10 times

Miami did it 8 times too but that game they beat Denver inflates their offensive stats. 

Besides points, you watch other offenses and see how wide open WRs get and the YAC they make. 

And after they fired dorsey the bills did it 7 of 9 games including playoffs and their lowest output was 20 against that very strong kc defense on the road.

10 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

The problem with these stats is that they're all averages. Yes, it all adds up to great records YoY, and good teams/etc. But in the big moments, against the best teams, this team fails year after year. A lot of that blame I put squarely on the coach. 

I agree.  they made many blunders on that last drive.  They lost their focus and did not play smart. 

The multi-verse shows us just how poor Sean McDermott’s football prospective  really is: McDermott traded the best quarterback in the league —-Pat Mahomes, for a cornerback, Tre White. White will be out of the league next year. Mahomes has kept us out of the championship for the last five years, having NOT been stopped by Tre White or the rest of Sean’s piss poor play off defense. Sean thinks he’s George Halas, but he’s only John Rauch. 

13 hours ago, Process said:

One AFC championship appearance in that span is unacceptable. 

And I honestly don't think McDermott is anywhere close to being on the hot seat. 

Yup. 

If I had to say right now...and this feels unfathomable after that 2020-21 season...I don't think Josh ends up winning a Superbowl here. And it's going to be because of McDermott. 

We're going to have one of the most tragic stories of a superstar of all-time. 

8 hours ago, Success said:

Very similar to Manning & the Pats.  That was his nemesis for so long.

Then he broke through in '06, in spectacular fashion, coming back from 21-3.  And didn't really look back after that - he won the last part of that rivalry.

That's what I'm hoping for.  He who laughs last, and all that. 

It's not similar at all though. Manning was dreadful individually, himself, for a lot of those games before he broke through. Josh has been spectacular in the majority of these big games. 

Peyton was losing those games because of Peyton. Josh is losing those games because of his coach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Maybe next year the Bills can find a way to avoid Mahomes AND Burrow in the playoffs. They can surely make it with that scenario right?

Burrow gets hurt again which for him is very possible.  Kelce retires or continues to fade. Maybe then and only then we can finally have nice things?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

2020 - bad defense

2021 - bad defense 

2022 - bad defense and offense 

2023 - injuries on defense leading to bad defense, not enough at WR, unreliable kicker.

Edited by Dr.Sack
Kicker
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

You got it. We've been a very good team with a great QB that's very good in the regular season but not great in clutch playoff games.

Yes, it beats the drought years, but the funny thing with expectations is the higher you set them the more disappointing it is not to make them.

So, in a weird way losing in the playoffs hurts a lot more than not making them.

I dont know if it hurts a lot more, but it's not a good feeling to see a team in the water of underachivement at this point.

So, we have to be honest: since the beginning, Mcbeane always talk about -being competitive-. Always.

This year in their press conference, it was all about -being competitve-. 

Nothing less than that, but nothing more.

Then, i feel like they achieve their goal. We should be competitive again.

With that kind of team, with that QB, i dont think it should be the goal. 

To say the truth, if you're not competitive with that kind of QB, you're not good at all in your job.

It's not good enough. Underachievement is always a bad feeling.

It seems their goal is still only? being competitive again.  Nothing less, but nothing more, like i said.

20 hours ago, Process said:

One AFC championship appearance in that span is unacceptable. 

And I honestly don't think McDermott is anywhere close to being on the hot seat. 

We should have had at least one Super Bowl win during this span and probably two Super Bowl appearances. Should have played in the big game in 2020 and 2021. 

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yup. 

If I had to say right now...and this feels unfathomable after that 2020-21 season...I don't think Josh ends up winning a Superbowl here. And it's going to be because of McDermott. 

We're going to have one of the most tragic stories of a superstar of all-time. 

It's not similar at all though. Manning was dreadful individually, himself, for a lot of those games before he broke through. Josh has been spectacular in the majority of these big games. 

Peyton was losing those games because of Peyton. Josh is losing those games because of his coach. 

Yeah, Allen’s divisional rounds against KC have been among the best QB performances in league history. It will just get lost in time because we didn’t win anything. Manning and his team had a meltdown whenever they had to leave their dome. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

2020 - bad defense

2021 - bad defense 

2022 - bad defense and offense 

2023 - injuries on defense leading to bad defense, not enough at WR, unreliable kicker.

2020 our offense was terrible too my dude.

Josh and offense really just skating by on one game lmao

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Many owners are in need a HC that can turn around their franchise. Why wouldn’t he be hired for that?

He would be. Are you agreeing with me?

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He would be. Are you agreeing with me?

There were a lot of people on this board who were convinced Doug Whaley would be snapped up if the Bills released him.   I think McDermott would get another HC job eventually. Not sure about "tomorrow".  But mostly not sure the future is predictable on these sort of things. 

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

he toughest opponent for the Bills has been the BILLS.

Cliche talk. 

17 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

add McVay to that list.  Peyton?  Tomlin is a McDermott clone with a SB ring.

Tomlin; let’s not wait 18 yrs on McClapper. Kudos to PIT on loyalty but wow, overkill!!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Are you agreeing with me?

That McDermott would quickly have HC job offers if fired by the Bills? Yes, if that was your point. I’d stop short of saying that he’s still a good fit here though. If that was your point, then no. He did a great job of turning around the Bills, but I have not thought he was the guy to get us a championship since 13 seconds. FWIW I don’t think Andy Reid would have gotten a championship if he’d stayed with the Eagles either. There’s a point when if it hasn’t happened yet with a coach in a given situation, then it’s not going to happen. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

Mcdermott initially coming to Buffalo and adding clear direction to the chaos that was under Rex Ryan was a big positive  - but that is apples and oranges to the coaching needed to take a sold team to the point it can win it all  =  when already given multiple years to do so

Yes Mcdermott has won many games the last 5 years  - but he has perhaps the top QB AND the top spending owner in football - thats massive !!!!

Mcdermott & Beane have both benefited greatly by Pegula being able and willing to write checks to keep the flow of talent in  - that will get you into the playoffs annually  -  does anyone really think with Josh & Pegula in place if we changed from Mcdermott we really would not make the wildcard round of the playoffs?

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

Sean McDermott 

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

CJ Stroud throws for 350 yards and 4 TD’s as the Bills fall 38-35 on a last second 52 yard FG in the 2025 Divisional Round.

(Insert McDermott excuse here)

Allen used to have games like that, and we didn't win some of them.

The real test of a player is if they can still run up number like that after other NFL DC's figure out what you are doing.  

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

The problem is the only team that has a better 5 year resume is KC and is often standing in our way 

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

What's fair is fair right, now do playoffs over the past 5 years.

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That McDermott would quickly have HC job offers if fired by the Bills? Yes, if that was your point. I’d stop short of saying that he’s still a good fit here though. If that was your point, then no. He did a great job of turning around the Bills, but I have not thought he was the guy to get us a championship since 13 seconds. FWIW I don’t think Andy Reid would have gotten a championship if he’d stayed with the Eagles either. There’s a point when if it hasn’t happened yet with a coach in a given situation, then it’s not going to happen. 

I posted in another thread but it fits this one. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 3rd in first downs 

Below are some of the raw stats of the rankings noted in the OP. Not a shock to anyone, our biggest factor in not having been able to get over the hump in any of the last 5 seasons has been the defense failing to live up to regular season performance standard. 

Key:

Red = Poor performing difference greater than 3.0

Green= Positive performing difference greater than 3.0

Blue= Nuetral perfomring difference between +/- 3.0 (with the exception of 3rd down percentage, see note under 3rd down percentage)

Defensive PPG:

Year Reg. Season Def. PPG Post Season Elimination Game Difference
2019 16.2 22 +5.8
2020 23.4 38 +14.6
2021 17 42 +25
2022 17.9 27 +9.1
2023 18.3 27 +8.7

Offensive PPG:

Year Offensive PPG Reg. Season Elimination Game Difference
2019 19.6 19 -.6
2020 31.3 24 -7.3
2021 28.4 36 +7.6
2022 28.4 10 -18.4
2023 26.5 24 -2.5

Defensive 1st Downs Per Game Given Up:

Year OPP. Reg. Season 1st Down Per Game Elimination Game Difference
2019 18.4 19 +0.6
2020 21.9 29 +7.1
2021 16.7 30 +13.3
2022 19.6 30 +10.4
2023 18.4 21 +2.6

Offensive 1st Downs Per Game Gained:

Year Reg. Season 1st Down Per Game Elimination Game Difference
2019 19.6 24 +4.4
2020 24.8 24 -0.8

23 -0.4
2022 22.9 19 -3.9
2023 22.4 27 +4.6

Defensive Opponent 3rd Down Percentage:

Year OPP Reg. Season 3rd % Elimination Game Difference**
2019 35.8% 46.2% +10.4%
2020 39.8% 60% +20.2%
2021 30.8% 61.5% +30.7%
2022 37.5% 60% +22.5%
2023 38.6% 20% * -18.6%*

*KC only faced 5 third downs all game, going 1-5 on third down attempts. They had an explosive offense in this game.

Offensive 3rd Down Percentage:

Year Reg. Season 3rd % Elimination Game Difference**
2019 35.8% 52.4% +16.6%
2020 49.7% 35.7% -14.0%
2021 46.4% 42.9% -3.5%
2022 50.3% 41.7% -8.6%
2023 49.8% 50% +0.2%

**Here, a neutral difference is anything between +/- 10%. There is greater variance in a stat like 3rd down percentage in a single game, so I believe it makes sense in this case to allow for a larger span for neutral performance. 

Simple tally of the above:

Defense: 1 Green, 12 Red, 2 Blue

Offense: 4 Green, 4 Red, 7 Blue

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I’d certainly add McVay to that list.  Peyton?  Tomlin is a McDermott clone with a SB ring.

and Shanahan, Lefluer, Zac Taylor, Pederson and Campbell at this point and whereever Vrabel ends up.

Tomlin is better because he won a SB, he had Ben but IMO Josh is better than Ben. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.