What is McDermott’s Magnum Opus?

bubba2018

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Shutting  down the reigning MVP Lamar Jackson to clinch the first Bills AFCCG appearance since the 1993 season. Defensive masterclass.

I don't think it was that impressive because Lamar had a clear weakness passing the ball outside of the hash marks.

Credit given for shutting him down, but let's not pretend he shut down a true elite QB. Lamar is still a limited passer that doesn't dissect a defense if we are being honest 

6th, 18th, 1st, 2nd, 18th

2nd, 16th, 1st, 2nd, 4th

The first row is Bill Belichick's defensive rankings in total points allowed during their first wave of SBs (01-05).

The second row is McD's defensive rankings in total points allowed during our last five seasons.

I also like our 2020 game vs. Ravens as a nominee for Magnum Opus.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I don't think it was that impressive because Lamar had a clear weakness passing the ball outside of the hash marks.

Credit given for shutting him down, but let's not pretend he shut down a true elite QB. Lamar is still a limited passer that doesn't dissect a defense if we are being honest 

He was the reigning MVP, finished the game with 162 passing yards, 34 rushing yards, 1 pick and 3 sacks.

Come on man.

5 hours ago, bills6969 said:

4 straight division titles

Yea it might actually be the last 7 games including the Steelers of this season. 

6-6.  Come back to win the division at 11-6.  

Win another playoff game.  

I’m still just dejected about the Chiefs not angry.  I can live with losing - I can’t stand losing down our dawgs like this.  It’s absolutely soul sucking.  

And make no mistake, if Milano White and Bernard and Benford are here - we’re playing Baltimore this week. 

The thing about their injuries tho - if they did play all year, does Dorsey ever lose his job?

2024 season can’t get here fast enough.  

I love our core - on O - Allen Diggs Kincaid Shakir Cook Knox the Oline.  On D - Milano Bernard Dorian (you’ll see) Benford Douglas Oliver Von Rousseau Taron

Get a safety.  

A WR 1

A Manny Sanders FA type 

Resign Daquan Jones

Get another 2 DEs and rotational DTs

The WR 1 will be the toughest the others are very doable.  

• Like (+1) 2

Got 8 wins out of a Tyrod Taylor led Bills team to the play with a little help from the Bengals. That team had no business winning 4 games much less 8. Since then, he has been a very good regular season coach which is good, but the playoff failures suggest a new voice is needed to lead this team if they ever want to get to and win a Super Bowl with Allen as the QB.

• Disagree 1

It seems to me, that the defense is what always falls short in the playoffs. Ofcourse it'll always seem that way in a loss, but that's what stands out to me. Houston in 2019, giving up a 16 point lead. 2020 against kc in afc championship, just got absolutely pummeled, had zero pass rush. 2021 against kc, absolute enbaresment giving up the lead with 13 seconds left. 

No clue what happened last year with the bengals. The team didn't even show up. And then this year again, the defense couldn't get a stop. Kc was matching our offense all night 

And exactly what poor coaching decisions did he make in the game Sunday against the Chiefs that cost them the game?

The reality is that one team went into the game mostly healthy. The other team had a depleted defense and was missing their WR2 -- and STILL went toe-to-toe against the defending Super Bowl champs. The difference in the game? One team's receivers who had struggled with drops all year caught everything that hit their hands -- the other team (with one of the highest paid receivers in the NFL) dropped multiple key catchable passes.

Hard to see where McD can be blamed for the loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Very good regular season coach. Can build a culture of very goodness. Can win a lot of regular season games with many defensive backups filling in. 

idk, dude got pansted by Mac Jones who can’t make it a half vs other teams and caught a break to get past the Tyrod Taylor led G-men

He’s still highly sus at times 

13 hours ago, BattlinBill said:

Another McDermott thread, how original....

Mcclappy is the preferrred nomenclature dude 

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

idk, dude got pansted by Mac Jones who can’t make it a half vs other teams and caught a break to get past the Tyrod Taylor led G-men

He’s still highly sus at times 

Mcclappy is the preferrred nomenclature dude 

You mean the guy we obliterated in the 2021 Wild Card for the first perfect game ever? That Mac Jones?

13 hours ago, QB Bills said:

He didn't get the chance to choke away that game as Lamar didn't play in the 4th quarter.

McDermott sucks. It's plain as day to most fans. Unfortunately the one person who can do something about it doesn't know any better.

idk, gotta give him credit for that one 

Lamar looked terrible the whole time 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You mean the guy we obliterated in the 2021 Wild Card for the first perfect game ever? That Mac Jones?

2024 Mac Jones.  The one that pansted him recently and had us out of the playoff picture 

14 hours ago, QB Bills said:

He didn't get the chance to choke away that game as Lamar didn't play in the 4th quarter.

McDermott sucks. It's plain as day to most fans. Unfortunately the one person who can do something about it doesn't know any better.

We should hire a young and talented head coach like Matt Ruhle or Arthur Smith. Offensive coaches are always better.

Edited by Roundybout
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, bubba2018 said:

I want people to list off some of McDermotts best coaching moments that you can remember which directly impacted the outcome of a game in a positive way. You guys think McDermott deserves another year? Prove it and post each scenario/evidence as to why you believe McDermott deserves another shot. 

He has been a winning coach since he's been here.  I guess you forgot how horrible we were before that.  My work here is done.

16 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

His defensive coaching against Lamar and the Ravens in the 2020 playoffs win against them was great. Shutdown a Pro Bowl caliber QB who routinely burned opponents to 3 points. McDermott seems to have the Ravens number (beat them in 2022 too). That win in 2020 got us to the AFC title game. Allen didn't do much that game.

Other than that, nothing. Allen has carried us in other post season victories. 

I think the weather gave defense the edge in both our wins vs baltimore....playoff game winds were gusting to 50mph...Tucker couldn't even kick a 30 yard fg and missed another

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Taron Johnson pick 6 vs Baltimore 

Yeah this is what I was going to say. Probably a top 3 play in franchise history and it was a perfect McDermott red zone defense. 

51 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

He has been a winning coach since he's been here.  I guess you forgot how horrible we were before that.  My work here is done.

Don't recall Josh Allen on the drought teams 

And remember he played Peterman on the road when Bills were in playoff hunt. 

1 hour ago, Nuncha said:

He has also had the benefit of an owner with deep pockets, which is something only Wrex Ryan had before him. I guess you forgot the "cash-to-cap" spending days and the "I refuse to spend money on a coaching staff" days of previous ownership during that drought. McDermott has done what he's done with a roster and staff that drought era coaches could only dream of.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

It seems to me, that the defense is what always falls short in the playoffs. Ofcourse it'll always seem that way in a loss, but that's what stands out to me. Houston in 2019, giving up a 16 point lead. 2020 against kc in afc championship, just got absolutely pummeled, had zero pass rush. 2021 against kc, absolute enbaresment giving up the lead with 13 seconds left. 

No clue what happened last year with the bengals. The team didn't even show up. And then this year again, the defense couldn't get a stop. Kc was matching our offense all night 

Our JV D was Playing their Varsity O

Edited by BuffaloMatt
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Uh...What are Billichecks.  What are Reids.  What are Sabans.  There are no best single moments in coaching.  Its establishing a culture, and many other things that cant boil down to a "coaching moment"

I'm not going to go searching, but there are examples for all of those coaches. I will give you one that hits home re: Belichick the DC. Do you think the Giants were a better team than the Bills in SB XXV? There's no way that Giants team should have beaten the Bills... but for Belichick coming up with a defensive gameplan that confused the Bills for the duration of that game.

Belichick gameplans to hide his team's deficiencies... or at least he used to. It's exactly what McDermott failed to do the other night against KC. He took an undermanned team and played his same old defense and watched it get smoked all night long. It was enevitable it was going to fail... I mean he actually tried to cover Kelsey with AJ Klein, FFS... the gameplan was to shorten the game on offense, keep it close and hope to pull it out on offense in the end. If the defense was destined to fail so spectacularly where would the harm have been in throwing a few wrinkles in to at least TRY to keep KC off balance. Was he afraid KC would score in 2 plahys instead of 3? If it didn't work the result would have been no different than what happened anyway. But nope, same old same old that he'd been doing all year.

It was like watching the Levy era Bills with the mantra of "we'll just do what we do and out execute them"... completely ignoring the fact that the team on the other side of the ball was also a championship caliber team.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And remember he played Peterman on the road when Bills were in playoff hunt. 

You forgot how bad Tyrod was the game before, he needed to be benched. That being said Dick Jauron would have take this team as far as McDermott has if he had a Josh instead of a JP

44 minutes ago, transient said:

I'm not going to go searching, but there are examples for all of those coaches. I will give you one that hits home re: Belichick the DC. Do you think the Giants were a better team than the Bills in SB XXV? There's no way that Giants team should have beaten the Bills... but for Belichick coming up with a defensive gameplan that confused the Bills for the duration of that game.

Belichick gameplans to hide his team's deficiencies... or at least he used to. It's exactly what McDermott failed to do the other night against KC. He took an undermanned team and played his same old defense and watched it get smoked all night long. It was enevitable it was going to fail... I mean he actually tried to cover Kelsey with AJ Klein, FFS... the gameplan was to shorten the game on offense, keep it close and hope to pull it out on offense in the end. If the defense was destined to fail so spectacularly where would the harm have been in throwing a few wrinkles in to at least TRY to keep KC off balance. Was he afraid KC would score in 2 plahys instead of 3? If it didn't work the result would have been no different than what happened anyway. But nope, same old same old that he'd been doing all year.

It was like watching the Levy era Bills with the mantra of "we'll just do what we do and out execute them"... completely ignoring the fact that the team on the other side of the ball was also a championship caliber team.

This plan actually worked.  The offense had the ball on the 27 yard line with 2 1/2 minutes and timeouts.  The plan gave the team a chance to win, despite the depleted defense.  Unfortunately, the offense was not able to covert.

I'm getting really tired of the piling on McDermott.  The guy may not be the 2nd coming of Vince Lombardi, and yes, maybe the Bills need a fresh voice to help get the team over the hump in the playoffs.  But the idea that McDemott is a complete incompetent and horrible coach is ridiculous.  The guy has had a lot of success with the Bills.  Other teams have great QBs and have not performed as well as McDermott's Bills have.  For a recent example, how have the Chargers done with Justin Herbert?  How many Super Bowls did Don Shula win with Hall of Famer Dan Marino?  McDermott may not be the best coach in the business, but he's not a horrible coach.  McDermott has won 4 division titles and 5 playoff games.  He got a team with very limited talent to the playoffs before Josh Allen arrived.  He somehow managed to get a 6-6 team that was left for dead to win 5 straight games, including the final game on the road against its biggest rival to win the division and then win a playoff game.

There may be better coaches out there than McDermott, and maybe the Bills would be better off with one of them, but the idea that he's a terrible coach is a fallacy.

4 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

This plan actually worked.  The offense had the ball on the 27 yard line with 2 1/2 minutes and timeouts.  The plan gave the team a chance to win, despite the depleted defense.  Unfortunately, the offense was not able to covert.

I'm getting really tired of the piling on McDermott.  The guy may not be the 2nd coming of Vince Lombardi, and yes, maybe the Bills need a fresh voice to help get the team over the hump in the playoffs.  But the idea that McDemott is a complete incompetent and horrible coach is ridiculous.  The guy has had a lot of success with the Bills.  Other teams have great QBs and have not performed as well as McDermott's Bills have.  For a recent example, how have the Chargers done with Justin Herbert?  How many Super Bowls did Don Shula win with Hall of Famer Dan Marino?  McDermott may not be the best coach in the business, but he's not a horrible coach.  McDermott has won 4 division titles and 5 playoff games.  He got a team with very limited talent to the playoffs before Josh Allen arrived.  He somehow managed to get a 6-6 team that was left for dead to win 5 straight games, including the final game on the road against its biggest rival to win the division and then win a playoff game.

There may be better coaches out there than McDermott, and maybe the Bills would be better off with one of them, but the idea that he's a terrible coach is a fallacy.

I don't think he's a terrible coach. I also don't think he's an upper echelon coach. I think he could win a SB with a stacked team and good luck on the injury front. I don't think he's an innovator that is going to scheme away deficiencies. I was disagreeing with a post about Belichick, Saban, and Reid not having signature coaching moments, if you will, and making the analogy that if there was ever a time for McDermott to show he could be that coach, it was with a defensively undermanned team against KC. Who knows, maybe he was saving it for after the Bills scored...

2 hours ago, Nuncha said:

1 hour ago, transient said:

He has also had the benefit of an owner with deep pockets, which is something only Wrex Ryan had before him. I guess you forgot the "cash-to-cap" spending days and the "I refuse to spend money on a coaching staff" days of previous ownership during that drought. McDermott has done what he's done with a roster and staff that drought era coaches could only dream of.

Plus, none of those other coaches had Josh Allen.  I could make a reasonable argument that a Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey could have squeezed out 3 or 4 more wins a season with the rosters they had plus a Josh Allen.  And made the playoffs.  How many games does McDermott win with a Kyle Orton or EJ Manuel utilizing his "process", culture, and vastly superior football intellect with the roster at his disposal? 

I say all this about McDermott but I also have to say Beane is accountable for blunders and oversights that have put Sean in some tough spots which have mostly been covered over by extraordinary play from the QB.  But that gripe is a story for another topic. 

imo he hasn't written it yet, if it is to come.  if he did something like change as needed on D vs kc to allow guys like elam and williams to contribute since our starters were all hurt, and it had some kind of effectiveness vs kc, then we win that game and he looks like a genius.

he needs to deliver that in a post season game for me to say he's shown his best.

ironically, our d got way tougher when williams went in over the ghost of klien (yes i know they swapped 25 and maybe slightly dift positions and assignments, but the room was made on the pitch).  elam made a huge play in the prior week too.  

It's cumulative. How can you break it down to individual moments in a specific game and draw conclusions from that? It's like isolating a few minutes in your life and defining who you are by that.

6 playoff appearances in 7 years.

4 straight division titles.

Double digit win totals in spite of massive losses to injury. 

Using the same rationale of the 'Fire McDermott' crowd, Harbaugh should be canned if his team loses this week to the Chiefs.  How many times have the Ravens missed the playoffs, not made it past wildcard round? It's been what, 12 seasons since they made it to the Superbowl?  Only 3 playoff wins in that period of time. Harbaugh must go, right?

Referencing the playoff wins and Championships won in a similar span of time, Tomlin, Shanahan, McCarthy, LeFleur should all be fired by that logic.

If the instant-gratification crowd ever grasps how difficult it is to get into the late rounds of the playoffs, let alone get on the tournament in the first place, maybe then they'll shut up about firing McDermott. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nuncha said:

I'm fine with keeping McD, but the argument above has always been a failing one.

And it works in no industry outside of sports.

Imagine a company that long endured the struggles of an ineffective salesperson. This individual consistently faltered, often unable to progress beyond even an initial handshake. Their consistent failures in reaching the negotiation table nearly drove the company to bankruptcy. Eventually, the company replaced this salesperson with a far more competent individual. This new hire excelled in navigating past gatekeepers and securing meetings in the coveted C-suites. However, despite their remarkable improvement in reaching the negotiation table, they failed to close any deals. The disparity in skill between the two salespeople was immense, yet the outcome remained unchanged. The company, unable to turn these opportunities into actual sales, ultimately faced closure. The stark reality was that, regardless of the new salesperson's superior abilities, the end result mirrored that of their predecessor – a lack of sales, leading to the company's demise.

Summary: "The previous employee was worse", is never a good excuse to keep doing what you are doing.

19 hours ago, bubba2018 said:

I want people to list off some of McDermotts best coaching moments that you can remember which directly impacted the outcome of a game in a positive way. You guys think McDermott deserves another year? Prove it and post each scenario/evidence as to why you believe McDermott deserves another shot. 

obviously so many to choose from for any with even a partial brain, but...

Just this year, realizing he made a horrible choice in Dorsey and firing him in the middle of the season, knowing Dorsey was incapable, and clearly listening to his QB and players on this move.

Saved the season, became what they were destined to be this year, one of the top teams in the league.  Went from 6-6 to 7-1, an almost miraculous turn around.

And taking a defense missing some of its best players at every level and somehow making it into not just a passable defense, but molding it into a championship level one. 

If a g good coach's primary goal is to win by moving his players to their maximum potential, then he may be the best in the league right now based on the evidence from this year alone, a remarkable achievement.

After seeing what he did this year there is no current head NFL coach I would rather have for next year.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.