Falcons hire Rams DC Raheem Morris as head coach

Draconator

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Genuinely the fit I like best of all the hires so far is Mayo succeeding Belichick. And I did NOT expect to be saying that. 

I don't like any of the other fits of Head Coach and Franchise.

Mayo is a plug, nothing impressive about his press conference whatsoever, maybe he ends up being a good coach, we’ll see how it plays out.

5 minutes ago, julian said:

Mayo is a plug, nothing impressive about his press conference whatsoever, maybe he ends up being a good coach, we’ll see how it plays out.

It all hinges on who they hire as a GM... to hire the head coach before the GM is a calculated gamble... if the Cheatriots continue to engage in hiring the people within a small circle they will continue to fail.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, julian said:

It is not a ringing endorsment of Mayo. But I think all the other hires feel like bad mesh of person, team and situation.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Belichick can't even get a job. Wild!

Probably because of his recent goofy staff/coordinator situations in NE. 

His son Steve still isn’t confirmed on Mayo’s staff.

Curious if Bill is trying to get some language in his contract around Steve being the heir apparent.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Genuinely the fit I like best of all the hires so far is Mayo succeeding Belichick. And I did NOT expect to be saying that. 

When Ben Johnson goes to Washington, that will be a great fit. 

Interesting choice.

Surprised it want one of the hot young candidates or “proven” vet HC’s.  Just another retread.

Vrabel should get a shot.  Good coach that meshes with players. I kinda get the feeling he lost a power struggle on Tenn.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Idk who had the worse hire. falcons, titans, or panthers. 

Chargers did well and the pierce hire made sense for the raiders.

otherwise, must have not been much to choose from for these franchises? Idk, over half of these hires seem sus 

I’ll take shiny object evaluations for $500 Alex.

Oh thank Christ no swiping Brady. No OC desperation hires

12 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Interesting choice.

Surprised it want one of the hot young candidates or “proven” vet HC’s.  Just another retread.

Vrabel should get a shot.  Good coach that meshes with players. I kinda get the feeling he lost a power struggle on Tenn.

Vrabel for Bills DC

I honestly think Morris may be better this time around due to the time he spent with McVay. The key to his success or failure will be the staff he puts together on the offensive side of the ball. Don't be surprised if he poaches a couple guys from LA. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Im not a huge Jim Harbaugh fan but I think that he’ll make a success out of that franchise for a few years, drop to mediocrity and then move on. 

Now granted he had an outstanding defense but there was success offensively with both Alex Smith & Kaepernick. 

Kaepernick was a better runner than Herbert but I think he’s no slouch there… Definitely a better passer. Who knows if it was just Roman’s system or the combination of that and Harbaugh that made Kaep’ a success but the wheels certainly came off his career when Greg and Jim left SF. 

Do you feel he’s going to be a success in LA or is it the wrong choice?

Falcons fans seem to be taking this well…

My favorites are the ones saying they need Governor Kemp to get involved and ban the Falcons GM from the state of Georgia. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Low Positive said:

When Ben Johnson goes to Washington, that will be a great fit. 

See I'm not even sure about that. He is coming from a situation with a vet QB who is good at understanding and playing within a structure and the best offensive line in football. He goes the Washington with no QB, a bad oline and only one legit weapon on offense. And then for good measure their defense finished the year last in yards and points. 

I know why the Commanders brass have gone for Johnson. It is a coup in their first hiring cycle to get the hot young OC. But to me Washington was a spot I'd have said hire an experienced HC. The best spot for Ben Johnson was LAC or even Atlanta where get a QB and that offense could click quickly. 

If Washington is patient and gives Johnson time it could work out. But if he doesn't win early (and it is a tough division) will the new ownership group wanting some momentum stay the course?

7 hours ago, BBFL said:

I feel him and the Spanos family is an explosion waiting to happen. He will be successful, he is a very good coach. But it will be short lived.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BBFL said:

Im not a huge Jim Harbaugh fan but I think that he’ll make a success out of that franchise for a few years, drop to mediocrity and then move on. 

Now granted he had an outstanding defense but there was success offensively with both Alex Smith & Kaepernick. 

Kaepernick was a better runner than Herbert but I think he’s no slouch there… Definitely a better passer. Who knows if it was just Roman’s system or the combination of that and Harbaugh that made Kaep’ a success but the wheels certainly came off his career when Greg and Jim left SF. 

If Harbaugh’s success is only short lived but they win a SB, then it’s all worth it. Quality, not quantity.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BRH said:

I guess Belichick bombed his interviews?

They probably thought he was a Gen z'er when he showed up to the interview in a hoodie and spoke monotone lol. 

Washington won't hire him maybe he'll come here and run the D? I'd be on board bringing him in just to infuse the cold situational awareness and work attitude that wins SBs. The man is a film genius, and could gameplan a defense like no other. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See I'm not even sure about that. He is coming from a situation with a vet QB who is good at understanding and playing within a structure and the best offensive line in football. He goes the Washington with no QB, a bad oline and only one legit weapon on offense. And then for good measure their defense finished the year last in yards and points. 

I know why the Commanders brass have gone for Johnson. It is a coup in their first hiring cycle to get the hot young OC. But to me Washington was a spot I'd have said hire an experienced HC. The best spot for Ben Johnson was LAC or even Atlanta where get a QB and that offense could click quickly. 

If Washington is patient and gives Johnson time it could work out. But if he doesn't win early (and it is a tough division) will the new ownership group wanting some momentum stay the course?

I feel him and the Spanos family is an explosion waiting to happen. He will be successful, he is a very good coach. But it will be short lived.

The new ownership in Washington is the most patient in professional sports. This regime will be given the space and resources for a full rebuild. The Process originates with Josh Harris’ Sixers. 

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The new ownership in Washington is the most patient in professional sports. This regime will be given the space and resources for a full rebuild. The Process originates with Josh Harris’ Sixers. 

If they stay the course he has a shot. But man that is a tough gig. 

5 hours ago, stuvian said:

I'll be shocked if Vrabel gets completely shut out. Starting to wonder if the Titans have sullied his name in league circles as difficult to work with.

Their loss would be our gain. I really want Vrabel to come here.

16 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Miami wanted Brandon Staley but now with the Rams DC job open I wonder if he goes there?

Come on Miami, back up the Brinks truck for Staley!!!

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If Harbaugh’s success is only short lived but they win a SB, then it’s all worth it. Quality, not quantity.

That's true but the salary cap situation in LA is going to make short term success tricky. And he is in a division with some fella name Mahomes. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If they stay the course he has a shot. But man that is a tough gig. 

I think it is the best opening this year. #2 pick, lots of other high picks, mountains of cap space and a clean slate with a patient owner. Even their fans don’t expect to win right away. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That's true but the salary cap situation in LA is going to make short term success tricky. And he is in a division with some fella name Mahomes. 

He will win with Herbert though. On paper the Chargers should have been able to challenge the Chiefs. But as we know on paper means nothing. Let's see if Harbaugh can get the Chargers to reach their potential on the field. If he can then the Chiefs will have a big challenge in the AFCW.

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

he would cast a major shadow over Clappy 

Is that...a bad thing, necessarily considering the number of people who want him gone? :P

But seriously, McDermott had previously been framing himself as a CEO coach. While he was a defensive coach up until this year he had handed off play calling to Frazier (so 6 years). I don't think Vrabel's previous time as a HC has such greater success than McDermott that he's being upstaged.

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He will win with Herbert though. On paper the Chargers should have been able to challenge the Chiefs. But as we know on paper means nothing. Let's see if Harbaugh can get the Chargers to reach their potential on the field. If he can then the Chiefs will have a big challenge in the AFCW.

But that team that they had on the field is old, expensive and based a lot on reputation and not recent performance. I think they are a bit where the Bills were a year ago..... they need some young guys to hit and become key players. 

16 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think it is the best opening this year. #2 pick, lots of other high picks, mountains of cap space and a clean slate with a patient owner. Even their fans don’t expect to win right away. 

But with a terrible roster, no guarantee of hitting the right QB, and in a difficult division with two of the most talented teams in football. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Falcons fans seem to be taking this well…

My favorites are the ones saying they need Governor Kemp to get involved and ban the Falcons GM from the state of Georgia. 

It's a no win situation for the fans. Even if Morris turns out to be decent, they will have to endure a never-ending revolving door of OCs like Bills fans. I can't believe that any front office in this day and age would even consider hiring a defensive-minded person as their HC. Have fun, Atlanta.  

I believe that this would make the fifth current NFL HC that came from the 2013 Mike Shanahan Washington staff (aka the pissboys):

Kyle Shanahan - 49ers 

Sean McVay - Rams

Matt Lafleur - Packers

Mike McDaniel - Dolphins

Raheem Morris - Falcons

Wow. Impressive. 

Edited to add: Bobby Slowik will make six if he gets a HC gig. 

Edited by BarleyNY

A black retread head coach! The nfl is so progressive now! 

I would be a little nervous if I was a falcons fan because defensive coaches make me nervous. But if he can pluck a McVay OC and get a QB, there is some legit talent on that team and it’s a garbage division. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.