Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly think we will see a defensive heavy draft this year.  Fully expect WR (or 2), maybe an OL player...but I think the bulk of our picks are going to be on both getting younger and filling out the roster on the defensive side of the ball.  We have most key players returning on offense and few holes left outside the biggest need at WR.  

Of course if the board falls right, I would love to go WR, and than safety with back to back picks. I believe safety is far and away our biggest need, and typically you can still find some high end prospects on day 2. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Last season they made a big deal that Hyde was around the team while on IR with his neck. They kept saying how he was an unofficial "Coach". He seemed to take to it and enjoy that role as well. 

I'm seriously wondering if that's something in his future and if so I think McDermott would happily offer him an Assistant DB coach role. Hyde is one of his favorite players. It's almost a no brainier if it's something Hyde wants to get into.

That would be great for us if that’s what he thinks is best for him and his family. Would love to have him as a coach. 

He might want to step away for a year or two first and then get the itch to come coach. But either way would be a great addition to the staff. And it seems like his wife really likes Buffalo as well which is great. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

38% of Allens INT's the past 2 years are on throws to Davis.  Davis was out last 2 games...Allen had 0 interceptions.  

Along with Davis miscues, if you include the out to the stick, that got jumped 3-4 times this year because we ran it so often, Allen would have half as many interceptions.  Once Dorsey got canned you did not see that pick again.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

Actually Beane told me personally. DM  @Augiefor details ….

Hey now! Leave me out of this! Beane only shared his draft board with me because I promised him I would be super discreet! 

12 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Of course if the board falls right, I would love to go WR, and than safety with back to back picks. I believe safety is far and away our biggest need, and typically you can still find some high end prospects on day 2. 

Agreed, especially with how important safety play has been in this defense.  I think it is close to a certainty that Hyde is gone and probably retires and Poyer is near the end too even though I think he will play his last year out here next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

He opens the press conference by congratulating himself on all his success. I wish I was joking. 

That's not what I heard.  McD was acknowledging the effort of the entire staff...coaches, players etc.  He pointed out it was NOT the outcome they wanted but it was a good season from the standpoint of winning the AFCE and getting to the divisional round.  He was not congratulating himself.  I swear people hear what they want to hear to fill their personal narratives.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

That's not what I heard.  McD was acknowledging the effort of the entire staff...coaches, players etc.  He pointed out it was NOT the outcome they wanted but it was a good season from the standpoint of winning the AFCE and getting to the divisional round.  He was not congratulating himself.  I swear people hear what they want to hear to fill their personal narratives.

Yeah, it’s called confirmation bias. Its just so much worse now that we have instant access to any and all information. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thought it was interesting Beane said the defense didn’t play well vs KC. I know it’s not shocking but still an interesting comment to make.

The entire defensive line save Von and Groot were MiA on Sunday. KC is known to have bad tackles that are getting flagged for holding and yet...nothing by Buffalo.

0 sacks, 4 pressures on 25 dropbacks by Patty, and 2 hits the entire game. 

As much as Buffalo attempted to keep the ball away from Mahomes with all the running the Bills did (39 for 182, 2 TDs) and with ToP 37:03 vs 22:57. KC was ripping that defense a new one every second-half series. They would target the 200lb defensive player to block for the run and bowl him over. Klein should have loaded his RV and gone on vacation...oh wait, he played like he did. 

Douglas wasn't right. Injuries killed the Buffalo LBers and CBs. Williams and Elam should have been in there. 

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Did anyone else catch that he said that "Stef was a phenomenal teammate" using past tense?

Maybe I am reading into that and it was just worded weird...but maybe that was a slip of the tongue...

Well, technically, the Bills' season is over, so past tense would be appropriate.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I didn't hear the presser and I'm not a McD apologist (I think he has a lot of strengths, but also several weaknesses), but even without hearing it, I have no doubt that McD did NOT kick off the presser by congratulating himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Yeah, it’s called confirmation bias. Its just so much worse now that we have instant access to any and all information. 

That is exactly right, but that runs both ways. 

He's never going to not ***** his pants in playoffs. He's just not. In the complete history of this team no coach ever squandered away playoff wins like this guy. 

5 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

Wow we're officially in cap hell

Not really. There are plenty of levers for Beane to pull and cap magic to work.

We can get to $20M, $40M, maybe even $60M under the cap if we really needed to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh boy, some seriously childish whimpering going on in this thread, somebody needs a cookie, a nap, and their diapers changed, talk about sh-ting yourself…, 

GO BILLS!!!

There's must be a morale issue in that locker room trusting in McD's "process" by this point.  His personality is already abrasive and he lacks the credibility to keep doing the same thing without people questioning it.    

He can spin things for fans, but inside that locker room with more disappointments it's not going to go far.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

That is exactly right, but that runs both ways. 

He's never going to not ***** his pants in playoffs. He's just not. In the complete history of this team no coach ever squandered away playoff wins like this guy. 

I don't think that he ***** his pants this time. I think that Chris Jones made a play. Also, if the BIlls had won the game you could say that the Andy Reid ***** his pants with that trick play call on the goal line. Run Pacheco straight ahead and it's a sure 7 points and probably the game.  Listen, I would not shed a single tear if Pegula fired McDermott today. I think that he's pretty good as a leader of men but I don't like his game management skills and I want someone who could bring some of that Shanahan magic. I think that Josh needs a new voice and a completely new offensive system. Not because what the Bills are doing is not working, but I think there needs to be a shakeup. But I also don't think that McDermott was the absolute cause of this loss. The Bills were not "embarrassed" and Reid didn't "completely outcoach" McDermott. Both offenses moved the ball pretty much at will, but the Chiefs made a few extra plays. I will give you that the Chiefs made better HT adjustments, but that's because they had to. We were winning at the half and running the ball with ease. In the end, it was a close game between two good teams. Again, Jones made a heck of a play driving Dion into Josh, or else the Bills may have won the game. That was, BTW, the first great play that Jones made all game. But people on this board are talking like the BIlls got boat raced like the Cowboys did. I get the frustration. I tore my Bills hat apart in the heat of the loss and declared that I was no longer a fan of the Buffalo Bills (I do this every year). My 18-yo daughter broke down in tears. My son didn't call me for 2 days and I still haven't spoken to my mother about the game. But after a few days now I am ready to move on. I also know that Pegula is not firing McDermott so getting worked up about that is futile. I will say that if the Bills draft that white CB from Iowa I will lose my 💩.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

There's must be a morale issue in that locker room trusting in McD's "process" by this point.  His personality is already abrasive and he lacks the credibility to keep doing the same thing without people questioning it.    

He can spin things for fans, but inside that locker room with more disappointments it's not going to go far.  

Agreed, I laughed when Beane said vets will come here for less because they want to win.  I'm sure guys are clamoring to win 1 playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Brady could leave for an OC job I believe, if he wanted to. 

Let him go.
This offense is broken. The details of the routes are why Josh doesn’t have “open throws” like other QBs. Routes are bunched, players are tripping over each others. Josh is making amazing throws, and escaping the pocket but he is very rarely getting any help from the OC. So may reads are hard, so may routes are blocked or congested.  And like him or lump him, Kurt ran the greatest show on turf, won a superbowl MVP and doesn’t have half the talent of Josh. Josh’s talent will come back to the mean now is the time to set him of got the back nine of his career. 

McClappy is not the guy to do this. A quality OC will challenge him too much, besides the game Sunday was another one of his wet dreams, ball control kinds games and the result was the same. I think of Elway’s career and him not winning it till the coach and team was built to win and not built to rely on his “magic”.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

The thing is, of course we're all happy with the success this team has, but with Josh Allen everyone knows you have to get a Super Bowl(s).

And when we keep bowing out in the Divisional Round, that means we're drafting mid 20's every year.  

Where's Cinci drafting this year?  

We were able to jump Dallas for Kincaid, and they then took Mazi Smith.  Kincaid looks like a future elite TE.  Mazi Smith looks like a JAG.

KC jumped us for McDuffie.  McDuffie is a top tier CB.  We took Elam.  Still don't know if he's anything heading into Year 3. 

Draft position matters.  In back to back years, our first round picks have been getting an elite guy because we got ahead of Dallas and losing an elite guy because KC got ahead of us. 

How do posters still not see Elam is a bum?

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane said he fully expects to compete again for the Championship  in 2024 

We should. I don't think we will lose anybody on offense. 

The more I spend time with it the more I spend time with this roster after the season is wrapped, I think we devote a good portion of the draft to defense. 

I think we likely keep Diggs, we just have an immediate need at the outside, plus some depth. I expect a WR in the 1st and/or second. But after that I think we likely go hard at safety and pass rusher help in the top 3-4 rounds. After that it is likely depth at both OL and DL. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Beane should’ve said we have to get better receivers so that teams can start calling about Diggs. He too expensive for the way he played. That drop in a big spot ended it for me. 2 or 3 years ago he makes that play. He just wasn’t aggressive and edgy from the 2nd half of the season. 27 million on the cap, no thanks.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

The more I spend time with it the more I spend time with this roster after the season is wrapped, I think we devote a good portion of the draft to defense. 

I think we likely keep Diggs, we just have an immediate need at the outside, plus some depth. I expect a WR in the 1st and/or second. But after that I think we likely go hard at safety and pass rusher help in the top 3-4 rounds. After that it is likely depth at both OL and DL. 

They could get a mid tier WR in FA this year ( Darnell Mooney for example) AND a guy in the first round and maybe a C in rounds 3-4 … This is all the required spend  on the O in my opinion…

I couldn’t care if every other Draft Pick was on the D 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I'd be surprised if we draft any OL.  We have our entire starting line returning. As well as all our depth from this year.

We might decide to release Morse and promote Bates, or vice versa, and need a backup interior OL. But those are easy to find in FA (cheap compared to DL) and we have Broeker coming back.

We definitely need DTs, so I expect at least 1 DE and 1 DT drafted. Maybe even 2.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

So who thinks Allen wants out after failing in the divisional round a few more times ?

When is Allen going to perform in the regular season to get a first round bye?  I'm not a huge fan of Mcdemott, but if it wasn't for him and the D, this team doesn't even make the playoffs.  More games were won by the defense this year, than Allen.  This whole boo hoo Allen nonsense is pitiful.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Let him go.
This offense is broken. The details of the routes are why Josh doesn’t have “open throws” like other QBs. Routes are bunched, players are tripping over each others. Josh is making amazing throws, and escaping the pocket but he is very rarely getting any help from the OC. So may reads are hard, so may routes are blocked or congested.  And like him or lump him, Kurt ran the greatest show on turf, won a superbowl MVP and doesn’t have half the talent of Josh. Josh’s talent will come back to the mean now is the time to set him of got the back nine of his career. 

McClappy is not the guy to do this. A quality OC will challenge him too much, besides the game Sunday was another one of his wet dreams, ball control kinds games and the result was the same. I think of Elway’s career and him not winning it till the coach and team was built to win and not built to rely on his “magic”.

Kurt doesn’t understand athletic QB’s.  Instead he’s drawn to QB’s who play the same way he did like Tua and Brock Purdy.  I take what Warner says with a grain of bull####

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

I think he retires.  

I kind of hope for his sake, that he does.  Between the neck surgery last season and then being out a lot with "neck" or "stinger" this season, I feel he's one wrong landing or wrong hit away from permanent disability.

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be surprised if we draft any OL.  We have our entire starting line returning. As well as all our depth from this year.

We might decide to release Morse and promote Bates, or vice versa, and need a backup interior OL. But those are easy to find in FA (cheap compared to DL) and we have Broeker coming back.

We definitely need DTs, so I expect at least 1 DE and 1 DT drafted. Maybe even 2.

Do you honestly feel Spencer Brown is good enough in pass protection at RT? 

Edited by Beck Water

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bernard is the real deal. What a player.

Listen to this story. He tried so hard to play in the Chiefs game that he cried when the Doctors told him he couldn't play:

Cool.  He wasn't going to help that dline that got virtually no pressure.   I'm so jaded at this loss it's unreal.  I doubt any defense has sucked this badly over 3 playoff games.  I'm betting it's historically bad.

Edited by L Ron Burgundy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.