So what is the snow situation for this week's game?

Matt_In_NH

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Thinking outside of the box – could they get a plane to fly over and spray de-icer?  It seems like the technology is there, and this could be an easier fix than trying to find enough willing bodies at $20 an hour.

You mean like in Goldfinger when ***** Galore and the girls gassed Fort Knox?

That would be awesome!!!😀

james bond GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's not up to them, Erie County is the one handling that.

That will be the case with the new stadium.

With the current stadium, the Bills control that. Which is why they are always the ones asking for shovelers.

IMG-6669.jpg

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is looking like some kind of serious mismanagement on behalf of the organization. How could they get it wrong for a second week in a row? You have to have crews working on this all week. How is it that NOTHING is being done until the last minute? 

They got nothing wrong. There was another snowstorm and driving ban this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I really don't like that they ask for fans to come do it for 20 bucks an hour. Even if the people don't mind, that shouldn't be how it's handled.

I'd like to see the waiver that they have to sign that says if they have a heart attack and fall over dead while shoveling the Bills are absolutely in no way liable or responsible. Shameful the new stadium won't have a roof.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Actually I agree that Pegula should be able to do better. If we want January home games to be a regular occurrence, get your act together Bills !

Totally, looks to the outside world as an unprepared hick organization! 

Of course, there is the complete idiocy of keeping the site of the new stadium in Ground Zero Snow Bomb!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Of course, there is the complete idiocy of keeping the site of the new stadium in Ground Zero Snow Bomb!

Who cares about the outside noise? They would find something else to critique if it wasn’t the weather. When it’s too snowy for them, it’s just right for us, Marv might say…

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

It's the best site in WNY for the stadium... 

When you take in cost , logistics and infrastructure

We might be 500 million to 1 billion more for a different location that needed infrastructure changes to accommodate the stadium... Like downtown 

All these people  living in arm climates telling us what to do.All the snow removal companies in the area were busy clearing  parking lots and driveways. Not like they were sitting around  twiddling their thumbs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Actually I agree that Pegula should be able to do better. If we want January home games to be a regular occurrence, get your act together Bills !

Agreed.  Starting with - if they didn't hit their target # of shovelers at $20/hr, they need to raise their rate of pay.   And if they hit their target # of shovelers but only got the aisles cleared before the last game, they need a higher target #.

Just now, Wacka said:

All these people  living in arm climates telling us what to do.All the snow removal companies in the area were busy clearing  parking lots and driveways. Not like they were sitting around  twiddling their thumbs.

🥰🥰 "living in arm climates"

As I understand it, the Bills do have professional companies clearing the sidelines, tunnel, and field.  But the steep steps and seat areas have to be done by hand.  What "snow removal company" is going to pay a staff to sit around in case they are needed?  They're going to do just what Jani-King is doing: hire hourly workers.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Agreed.  Starting with - if they didn't hit their target # of shovelers at $20/hr, they need to raise their rate of pay.   And if they hit their target # of shovelers but only got the aisles cleared before the last game, they need a higher target #.

🥰🥰 "living in arm climates"

As I understand it, the Bills do have professional companies clearing the sidelines, tunnel, and field.  But the steep steps and seat areas have to be done by hand.  What "snow removal company" is going to pay a staff to sit around in case they are needed?  They're going to do just what Jani-King is doing: hire hourly workers.

A company can install slides in stairs to dump snow on the ground and remove it.

This is embarrassing $7B owner wants locals  to show up for $20 (lol bring your own shovel) & no ticket to boot.  

1.  Put a roof on the new stadium 

2. Hire a snow removal / contractor company and have them under contract.

This repeated call for help is ridiculous! 

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Why doesn’t this Billion plus dollar operation go to temp labor companies and get people from them?

That's what they've done - the Bills have a contract with a company called Jani-King

https://www.janiking.com/

Jani-King doesn't have a pool of snow shovelers sitting around being paid $20/hr, so they need to hire a bunch of people fast.  One way to get the word out is to ask the Bills to announce it.

The thing is, in this day and age $20 is a bit low for cold, physically demanding work.  Aldi is hiring cashiers (warm, comfortable work) for $18.50/hr.  Home Depot and such paying $17.50 again mostly work inside.  So to bring people in fast, who are willing to work hard and spend more time shoveling than warming up, they need to up the $$ and have some kind of system where you don't see some areas getting shoveled by hard working people and other areas with people goofing off.

Probably $22 would bring in enough people that you could bump the ones who are working hard up to $23 or $24 and send the slackers on their way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I live 5 min from the stadium so take my word for it. The storm is expected to end today. They will have 3 days to get rid of the snow. We have about 15-20 inches. West Seneca and South Buffalo got it the worst, they probably have double what we got

You guys are warriors for dealing with that amount of snow year after year, 4-5 inches is considered alot nowadays in NYC / North Jersey 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

A company can install slides in stairs to dump snow on the ground and remove it.

It's my understanding they do install slides on the aisle stairs that channel the snow down to the field level where it's carted off.  There were some videos of guys goofing around on the slides last week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is looking like some kind of serious mismanagement on behalf of the organization. How could they get it wrong for a second week in a row? You have to have crews working on this all week. How is it that NOTHING is being done until the last minute?

I don't know whether they had crews working on it after the game and through this week, but there was more snow yesterday and today, so that needs to be cleared starting tomorrow.  You can't preemptively clear snow that hasn't fallen yet.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wonder if there will be no assigned seating like last week.

Probably not because if I paid 800 for my seat on the 50 yard line

I'd be damned if somebody was sitting in my spot... I'm surprised it went as smoothly as it did

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Yeah I really don't like that they ask for fans to come do it for 20 bucks an hour. Even if the people don't mind, that shouldn't be how it's handled.

I'd like to see the waiver that they have to sign that says if they have a heart attack and fall over dead while shoveling the Bills are absolutely in no way liable or responsible. Shameful the new stadium won't have a roof.

Sometimes stupidity gets compounded by more stupidity.  They knew decades ago these inseccant lake effect bands line up right over the stadium.  This football team should've had a dome ages ago. Or at the very least relocate north away from the snow band.  And every year like clockwork we banter over this same topic.  Rinse & repeat. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sometimes stupidity gets compounded by more stupidity.  They knew decades ago these inseccant lake effect bands line up right over the stadium.  This football team should've had a dome ages ago. Or at the very least relocate north away from the snow band.  And every year like clockwork we banter over this same topic.  Rinse & repeat. 

There is no banter, only whining.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Is this actually true? My sister told me this yesterday, and I thought she was just pulling my leg. So people who bought tiks in the upper deck were allowed to just saunter in and sit in the lower bowl!? That’s hard to believe….Like mentioned above, the cost difference that people paid for “good seats” vs upper deck seats would be substantial, and I can’t fathom what happened when those people went to go to their seats and saw somebody else in them.

The Bills are getting torched online for asking for snow shoveling assistance, paid, but not offering food and drink this time. Is that true? seems like an easy thing to do for a billion+ organization to give the shovelers some food and avoid negative publicity.

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Bills are getting torched online for asking for snow shoveling assistance, paid, but not offering food and drink this time. Is that true? seems like an easy thing to do for a billion+ organization to give the shovelers some food and avoid negative publicity.

and maybe pay more than $20/hour

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

and maybe pay more than $20/hour

It should be $20/hour + a ticket for 8 hours of work.  Anyone working 8 hours gets pregame on-field recognition (a salute to your shoveling service).

If that's too much, then get some napalm and melt it my way.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Billionaires gonna billionaire.

c2bb61f189b947ebb405a198fb6f313b_w200.gi

So who is offering the $20, the Bills or the snow removal contractor?   Also, does said contractor have a fixed dollar amount contract with the Bills/County, or is this outside of the contract terms, and therefore they are paid for the this “extra” work?

And we’re building a new stadium that will have ALL the same problems.  Not putting a roof on this new project was asinine to say the least, especially given it’s location in the Southtowns which is prone to heavy LE snow bands and winds.

Edited by PayDaBill$

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:
8 hours ago, Einstein said:

this wasn't / isn't true. It's like a airplane. If completely full, no way in hell. But, if 80% you can find maybe a better seat after take-off or halftime. If at half, you see a better row of snow....

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Tuco said:

The biggest problem with the last game is the snow fell the day and night before the game. Not only did that hinder people being able to get there to help clear it, but, as you've probably seen, the way they clear the seats is with chutes that run the snow down to the field and then truck it out. At some point well before game time you have to stop doing that, remove the tarp and get the field ready.

This latest snow should be done by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. That's a lot more time ahead to be able to clear the seats. Although as mentioned above, the snow from before is going to be packed super hard and will probably create issues. Field wise it should be fine with sun, temp in the 20s and minimal wind.

But that didn't stop snow removal experts on Twitter from complaining about the bad job the Bills did. Did you know there are companies that you can contract with ahead of time that will make snow disappear in a few hours? I never got a name or contact info for one of these companies with thousands of employees ready at a moments notice, but I was assured they are out there.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

And we’re building a new stadium that will have ALL the same problems.  Not putting a roof on this new project was asinine to say the least, especially given it’s location in the Southtowns which is prone to heavy snow snow bands.

They'll be a partial roof to cover the seats, so realistically there will be less snow in stadium if this were to occur, that said I'm in the pro dome crowd. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's the best site in WNY for the stadium... 

When you take in cost , logistics and infrastructure

We might be 500 million to 1 billion more for a different location that needed infrastructure changes to accommodate the stadium... Like downtown 

for what we are paying for a stadium that doesn't have a roof, doesn't seem like we got any kind of a lower cost for having it there. my gosh, the raiders built their palace for 1.9!  

Snow shoveling has become a sensitive topic in the last few weeks among fans. I saw someone tweet it's 2024 and we're still asking fans to shovel snow, can't we do something better? Couldn't they tarp over the seats like they do the field? Geometrically and strategically, wouldn't that save shoveling snow by funneling all the snow down towards the field, and then you can just loader that snow through the tunnel and somewhere in the parking lot? 

On another note, this could be a good sign the team is too focused on football at this time. 

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They'll be a partial roof to cover the seats, so realistically there will be less snow in stadium if this were to occur, that said I'm in the pro dome crowd. 

Not to mention a heated field so you won't have to plow it. At least I assume it's how it will work.

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

this wasn't / isn't true. It's like a airplane. If completely full, no way in hell. But, if 80% you can find maybe a better seat after take-off or halftime. If at half, you see a better row of snow....

It’s not? Didn’t think Sports Illustrated and Fox would make that up.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/15/steelers-bills-playoff-game-snow-packed-stadium-nfl-first-for-fans

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/nfl-forced-into-historic-move-as-america-stunned-by-chaotic-scenes/news-story/b2dfe5c994de9931b63d6643741915fb

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.