Ravens/Texans: Are the Texans really being disrespected this badly?

Also keep in mind that the weather in Baltimore on Saturday should be cloudy, mid-20s, with 15 mph winds.

For a dome team like the Texans, that doesn't bode well, especially given that they were 4-4 on the road this year.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Regarding the Texans, the only thing that shocked me was how bad they beat a vastly overrated Browns team. I felt all along this was one of the easier games to pick in the WC round, but didn't see that type of shallacking.

But I still tend to believe that the Texans likely aren't as good as they showed against the Browns and will come back to earth against the Ravens.

But imagine if the Texans do win on Saturday....obviously that means the winner of the Bills/Chiefs gets to host them in the AFCCG next week.

One interesting point is that the browns defense is right up there with the ravens and the Texans absolutely lit them up 

1 hour ago, Heels20X6 said:

Didn't one Pat Mahomes take his team to the AFC Championship in his rookie year?  Stroud is a stud.  He could hit a wall, or he could put up 400 yards and 4TDs as well.  And I know this is a new year...but Lamar has yet to show he's "the dude" come playoff time.  As a bettor, I wouldn't touch this game.

Spot on but I think it was actually Mahomes second or third season as he played behind Alex smith initially.

I agree, as a bettor I wouldn't touch this game.  

19 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

One interesting point is that the browns defense is right up there with the ravens and the Texans absolutely lit them up 

That's what surprised me the most....their defense being a no show.

I think the Browns biggest mistake (which may also hurt the 49ers and Ravens this week) was sitting Flacco and resting most their key guys against the Bengals in the final week of the season. I know most will say it was the right decision but any momentum they had was instantly killed IMO because of the week off before facing a Texans team that had a massive win on the road against a division rival to secure a playoff spot, and ultimately the division after the Jags choked against the Titans.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:53 PM, Rubes said:

Also keep in mind that the weather in Baltimore on Saturday should be cloudy, mid-20s, with 15 mph winds.

For a dome team like the Texans, that doesn't bode well, especially given that they were 4-4 on the road this year.

Whatever McDaniels did to “prep” the Fins for cold weather should be the exact opposite for the Texans…starting with the head coach needs to go  sleeveless on the sidelines. 🤔 

On 1/16/2024 at 3:12 PM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

On the flip side I doubt Lamar craps the bed like Flacco did. The Texans won't get a couple of pick sixes in this game.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

On the flip side I doubt Lamar craps the bed like Flacco did. The Texans won't get a couple of pick sixes in this game.

Lamar probably has the worst playoff tape of all the QB’s left tbh. That’s no gimme.

• Agree 1

And I still think they made a mistake sitting Lamar, 2 weeks off , wouldn't be surprised if he's rusty

26 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

not sure what the line is, but anything over -7 for Ravens seems high. 

I think the Texans can win this.  They are solid on offense, and also have a solid D.  Will be a good, close game, IMO.  

Ravens 9.5 favorites 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lamar probably has the worst playoff tape of all the QB’s left tbh. That’s no gimme.

Still, you can't count on two pick sixes. I think the Texans will put up a fight but in the end, I see the Ravens winning.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Still, you can't count on two pick sixes. I think the Texans will put up a fight but in the end, I see the Ravens winning.

My money would be on the Ravens as well as a team they are top to bottom awesome.

Lamar however in his career is worse than Dak in the postseason so far. If they falter again because of him it will be rough 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

My money would be on the Ravens as well as a team they are top to bottom awesome.

Lamar however in his career is worse than Dak in the postseason so far. If they falter again because of him it will be rough 

I hope they lose so if the Bills win then having the AFCCG in OP would be great.

• Like (+1) 1

With Lamar’s history of coming up small in big moments and the way the Texans D is playing, there is no reason to think they can’t make it a game.  If Stroud continues to walk on water, the Ravens will be sitting at home for the AFC Championship game.  It’s insane to see the Texans where they are, but I’m not underestimating them with Stroud on the roster.

On 1/16/2024 at 3:12 PM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They did, but don’t forget 14pts were from the D and they had short fields a lot of the game.  They played perfect “complimentary football”.

I always thought it had been crazy how disrespected the Ravens have been. 6.5 point dogs against SF?  That might have been the craziest line I've seen this year.  Only 3.5 point home favorites against dolphins?  Beating the brakes off both teams, and STILL not having the shortest odds to winning the Super Bowl? Everything has been wild to me as it relates to the Ravens over the past month or two.  However like others, I am also not one that would do a full week 18 rest of the stars, unless to help heal some injury that they have been playing through etc.  So I may very well eat these words because Texans have been playing good football and have nothing to lose going into this game

Edited by klumzyfule66

On 1/16/2024 at 12:14 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

If the Ravens come out slow and flat after 2 weeks off and Houston can jump out to an early lead it puts the pressure on Lamar to win as a passer. That would be a huge advantage for the Texans. 

If the Texans want to pull the upset this is the game script that gets them there. 

Still shocked they didn’t play starters for a half in that week 18 game….or a couple drives at least 

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 9:04 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

After watching morning coverage, I am astounded as to why everyone is putting the Ravens into the AFC Championship Game in pen as if it's a given. The explosive offense that Stroud provides along with a solid running game with our old friend Singletary should give the Ravens fits.

What say you? I think this game will be a close one and it would not surprise me in the least if the Texans won.

Lamar and the Ravens are the darlings of the NFL this year.  Media wants them to win and typically disrespect newcomers until they prove they can win.  Kind of reminds me of the Jags team that got to the AFCC game back in 2019 and then lost.

I, for one, hope that the Bills do not have to face the Texans in these playoffs.

While revenge for 2020 would be sweet, I don't have the stomach for a Devin Singletary revenge game.

Then, I can see a 2006 Sabres-type scenario unfolding - the Texans exploit the Bills' injury bug to sneak in, while somehow the Packers catch a wave and win the NFC. Green Bay's luck runs out, and the Texans win the SB. 

I've been a Buffalo fan for too long!

20 minutes ago, skibum said:

I, for one, hope that the Bills do not have to face the Texans in these playoffs.

While revenge for 2020 would be sweet, I don't have the stomach for a Devin Singletary revenge game.

Then, I can see a 2006 Sabres-type scenario unfolding - the Texans exploit the Bills' injury bug to sneak in, while somehow the Packers catch a wave and win the NFC. Green Bay's luck runs out, and the Texans win the SB. 

Snap out of it man!! 
giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9524kwjr6ebuoilcqlrsn

😊

27 minutes ago, skibum said:

Is Jerry Hughes Rod Brind’Amour in this analogy?

Main Reason - The Ravens have been excellent this year. They have 8 wins against teams with winning records, all by 14+ points.

1. Texans (Won by 16)

2. Browns (Won by 25 points)

3. Lions (Won by 32 points)

4. Seahawks (Won by 34 points)

5. Bengals (Won by 14 points)

6. Jaguars (Won by 16 points)

7. 49ers (Won by 24 points)

8. Dolphins (Won by 37 points)

Sure, there are "Yes, but..." excuses you could make against some of those wins (like Watson was QB for the Browns game, or the Jags & Dolphins fell apart at the end of the year), but you could make the same excuses against the Bills or any other team.

Secondary Reason - It's because everyone thinks the Texans are way ahead of schedule anyway, and eventually a great rookie season will stop short of the Super Bowl (since no rookie QB has ever done that). Obviously, this week is only the divisional round, but if you can beat the Ravens, you should be able to beat anyone.

I have watched every Texans and every Ravens games. The Ravens do just about everything well. They run it well, Lamar is playing the best of his career passing wise and the defense and special teams are solid to spectacular at times. They will not be easy to beat. 

The Texans are a really fun team to watch and have achieved a ton with their limited weapons. It speaks highly of the coaching staff and of their very good rookie QB

I could see the Texans winning by 20 and I could see the Ravens winning by 20. It’s a hard game to read. Lamar has not played great in the playoffs, can he finally overcome that? I’m not so sure personally, I like the Texans in this game and would not be surprised if they pull of a huge upset

Texans have been pretty consistent this year too and Stroud has been money.

Not sure how they will fair stopping a mobile QB like Lamar. They eeked out a win against the Cardinals, but other than that they have not really run into that many this year and the one game against the Ravens early they lost.

Ravens should not be sleeping on them as they seem to be peaking at the right time, but I don't think they pull it off, but you never know.

A Cinderella year for both the Texans and the Lions and good to see some fresh clubs make it to the post season.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:04 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

After watching morning coverage, I am astounded as to why everyone is putting the Ravens into the AFC Championship Game in pen as if it's a given. The explosive offense that Stroud provides along with a solid running game with our old friend Singletary should give the Ravens fits.

What say you? I think this game will be a close one and it would not surprise me in the least if the Texans won.

Texans are going to win. Bills are going to win and Bills will host AFC championship afterwards. 

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 11:04 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So I've only caught a couple of Ravens and a couple of Texans games. 

I expect the pundits are all-in on the Ravens because Lamar, #1 seed - and they absolutely destroyed the NFC #1 seed 49ers.

Looking under the hood, though, the way a fan with a little bit of football understanding but not deep knowledge about both teams sees it -

The Ravens have the #1 defense in the league, and where it really shines is against the pass.  #1 in NY/A.  It's a bit more mediocre against the run, 26th in the league giving up 4.5 Y/A

The Texans have the #13 offense overall, but it's based on a pretty strong #8 (tie) NY/A passing and a pretty "meh" #28 3.7 Y/A rushing.

So that kind of looks like the Texans offensive strength matches up poorly against the Ravens defensive strength.

On the other side of the ball, the Texans overall have the #11 defense, but it's actually #2 in rush Y/A, very sound - but #27 for NY/A passing.  That would seem bad for the Ravens, who finished the season with the #4 offense on points, #3 for rush Y/A but this year the passing attack is more balanced, #5 for NY/A passing.

So that kind of sounds like the Ravens have a balanced offense which can either go blow-for-blow against the Texans rush defense, or maybe find an advantage in the passing game that could open up the run for them.

I think the Texans have a chance but in the end the Ravens will be too much for them, but I do think it will be more of a contest than many believe.  I think the Ravens are a team that you have to have some experience with to "solve" offensively and defensively, and I don't know if the Texans have that.

14 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

and Jerry Hughes

and Case Keenum

and Scott Quessenberry

and Robert Woods

Don't forget Nick Broeker (Bills 7th round rookie, waived and snapped up)

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Lamar Jackson always lose in the playoffs. This is no exception.

That would be the same non-logic that says "Josh Allen always lose in the Division round, Josh Allen always lose to Pat Mahomes in the playoff.  This is no exception"

I guess we ought to all skip the games, then.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I have watched every Texans and every Ravens games. The Ravens do just about everything well. They run it well, Lamar is playing the best of his career passing wise and the defense and special teams are solid to spectacular at times. They will not be easy to beat. 

The Texans are a really fun team to watch and have achieved a ton with their limited weapons. It speaks highly of the coaching staff and of their very good rookie QB

I could see the Texans winning by 20 and I could see the Ravens winning by 20. It’s a hard game to read. Lamar has not played great in the playoffs, can he finally overcome that? I’m not so sure personally, I like the Texans in this game and would not be surprised if they pull of a huge upset

Every team Ravens have faced in playoffs have been able to craft a defense to neutralized Lamar hence why I think they got a new OC.  Now we see if limitation is Least Valuable Player or coach/scheme.

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think the Texans have a chance but in the end the Ravens will be too much for them, but I do think it will be more of a contest than many believe.  I think the Ravens are a team that you have to have some experience with to "solve" offensively and defensively, and I don't know if the Texans have that.

Agreed.

Lamar has a ton of advantages including home field. Stroud has the advantage of no pressure. Not many expected the Texans to make the playoffs let alone win a game. Now Stroud has as many career playoff wins as the QB he is facing. The pressure is clearly on Lamar. If the Texans jump out to an early lead the Ravens could unravel.  

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Every team Ravens have faced in playoffs have been able to craft a defense to neutralized Lamar hence why I think they got a new OC.  Now we see if limitation is Least Valuable Player or coach/scheme.

Yep, This.  IMO, when I've watched the Ravens I think their offense is a different beast now.  It's not just the LJax show, contain him and cover the TE and Done.  They've stocked up on WR talent in the draft and FA, and Lamar seems very comfortable and decisive in the passing attack they're running.  Like I said #5 for NY/A this season.

What will be interesting is whether essentially 2 weeks off for Lamar and some of their starters has the Ravens rusty.

Ravens are a different beast this year. Not just tricky rush plays and a TE pass here and there. Lots of passing weapons, both mid and long to keep the defense honest in containing Lamar.

The defense is a tricky, chaos inducing, scoring machine as well.

Texans looked scary last week. We'll need to play great to win. Hope to see the awesome Bills in Baltimore the 28th. Kick that KC ass.

16 hours ago, Gregg said:

It's not that lamar never poos the bed. it is that lamar never rises to the occasion.

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

and Jerry Hughes

and Case Keenum

and Scott Quessenberry

and Robert Woods

it's why i am cheering for houston, which hurts.

i do not at all want to play houston in the playoffs. if we lose to the texans at home in the AFCC it would hurt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.