Game Postponed! - To be played Monday at 4:30pm

phypon

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I live here

I drove by Ralph Wilson stadium earlier today

My point is it was playable from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. today if the league switched it to Saturday

This is hindsight. Forecasts during the week were not predicting this much snow and wind, and certainly not a state of emergency.

It's a logistics nightmare to move games up. The new NFLPA CBA has strict practice rules that would limit coaching schedules/planning. Even small things like the Personnel Injury Report Policy (requires 3 reports per week the last one being no later than 48 hrs before game time) would have to be altered among many other things. 

It's rare to move a playoff game up last minute. I think I remember it happening in 2004 or 2005 during the season due to an impending hurricane.

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Here’s a Twitter post with video of driving by the stadium this evening. 

I was really surprised to see the House filled to capacity at the Sabres game! “Don’t these people know they won’t make it home??”

Sorry if already covered, but with the postponement, the Bills went from a 9-pt favorite to a 10-pt favorite, and the total went from 33 to 37.5 (crossing the key number of 37).  It's probably true that the Bills have a better chance of beating the Steelers playing it Monday but given that we were big favorites either way, I'd have liked that extra day of rest to prep the Chiefs.

8 minutes ago, harryS said:

Sorry if already covered, but with the postponement, the Bills went from a 9-pt favorite to a 10-pt favorite, and the total went from 33 to 37.5 (crossing the key number of 37).  It's probably true that the Bills have a better chance of beating the Steelers playing it Monday but given that we were big favorites either way, I'd have liked that extra day of rest to prep the Chiefs.

we've played the Chiefs enough to know them....Unless we have have injuries tomorrow I don't think that day will make too much of a difference. 

19 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

And the chiefs will have an extra day of rest if we play them again. It’s just comical. These guys approved of a new outdoor stadium in Buffalo New York and then postpone games when weather hits. Just put a damn roof on it then. I understand the game would be a mess, but it just seems ridiculous.   And they’re ok with playing the game in kc at -30 wind chill with fans there?? Yeah ok

The issue was the traffic the game would generate in near white out conditions, not the fact that the game would be played in snow.  A dome it not the issue here.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

we've played the Chiefs enough to know them....Unless we have have injuries tomorrow I don't think that day will make too much of a difference. 

That's true.  I should've added I just don't want the Chiefs to have 2 extra days of rest.  They also basically had a bye Week 18.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

I'll be getting out of teacher in-service right about then. It would be great if they let us out early!

Cancel it! You're not looking good, I think you should go home early.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

TV reporter at th stadium said at 7:30 AM it was clear. Now at 8 AM- whiteout.  Driiving ban lifted in extreme  southern Erie County- Sardinia, Concord, etc.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Wacka said:

TV reporter at th stadium said at 7:30 AM it was clear. Now at 8 AM- whiteout.  Diving ban lifted in extreme  southern Erie County- Sardinia, Concord, etc.

I can’t see across the street.  I’m a few miles east of the stadium.  It was the right call to postpone. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I can’t see across the street.  I’m a few miles east of the stadium.  It was the right call to postpone. 

Of course it was.

You don’t put people’s lives in jeopardy for a football game.

Keep it in context.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

Do you think at a certain point the nfl says to the bills you have to play in another stadium since weather isn’t improving?

tomorrow will be better...colder but less wind and snow....as far as I know

• Like (+1) 2

The people posting here yesterday suggesting it was “soft” not to play the game? Totally misses the point. Not the game itself but travel.
 Many of those posters live elsewhere too ( I noticed) 

Edited by Since1981
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

If this is true, Hochul and Polencarz did Buffalo a favor

I would have been fine with that if the NFL had made the call earlier .

If you tell us Wednesday/Thursday that's plenty of time to fly out Friday. But no, the NFL played chicken 

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I would have been fine with that if the NFL had made the call earlier .

If you tell us Wednesday/Thursday that's plenty of time to fly out Friday. But no, the NFL played chicken 

I know it’s got to be super frustrating for people with plans affected by this, but it’s weather, not a math formula with a simple answer. It is by nature uncertain, so it’s hard to have the perfect answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

At 1:00 p.m. it was perfectly safe to get to orchard Park... I've been all over Western New York today before 8:00 p.m.

It was nothing that we are not used to

Now drive out there today at 1pm and let us know how it compared to yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Do you think at a certain point the nfl says to the bills you have to play in another stadium since weather isn’t improving?

It will be better by tomorrow.  The big issue is going to be getting the steelers into town for Tuesday.  The should have been here on Saturday, but they held off a day. Maybe they can bus in up the 219 (or the 90, depending on where the lake snow is falling) - I'm not sure.  But flying in today might be a problem at the airport.  I'm not sure whether the airport is or will soon be open. 

Edited by SectionC3

19 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

The people posting here yesterday suggesting it was “soft” not to play the game? Totally misses the point. Not the game itself but travel.
 Many of those posters live elsewhere too ( I noticed) 

Always the way. They have no concept of what this even looks like. For most it would be the worst winter weather they ever faced and where they live it would go down as a "storm of the century" that people would be talking about for the next 100 years.

Here, it's just a part of life and we respect Mother Nature, stay indoors and then clean up after.

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It will be better by tomorrow.  The big issue is going to be getting the steelers into town for Tuesday.  The should have been here on Saturday, but they held off a day. Maybe they can bus in up the 219 (or the 90, depending on where the lake snow is falling) - I'm not sure.  But flying in today might be a problem at the airport.  I'm not sure whether the airport is or will soon be open. 

They won't fly into the main airport, likely the one in Niagara Falls which should be fine.

Edited by Big Turk

I am surprised how many folks there and on social media don’t understand how lake effect snows work.  Some folks on social media claiming it’s OK where they are should realize the band will drift up and down the lake all day.  Anyone from WNY should know that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The issue was the traffic the game would generate in near white out conditions, not the fact that the game would be played in snow.  A dome it not the issue here.

plus the fact that there is a driving ban in effect as well as the closure of pretty much major roads and highways leading to the stadium. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am surprised how many folks there and on social media don’t understand how lake effect snows work.  Some folks on social media claiming it’s OK where they are should realize the band will drift up and down the lake all day.  Anyone from WNY should know that.

I know!  Here’s what it looks like outside my front door in Syracuse.  

IMG_2024-01-14-093525.thumb.jpeg.f8b9a853be4c148f7dc6d037ce3f44c1.jpeg

28 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I think the NFL is big time upset that Kathy Hochul  played their hand by issuing the state of emergency and travel ban. The NFL wanted a playoff game to be played in a blizzard so badly.  The ratings would have been through the roof.

It appears the NFL actually wanted to move the game to Atlanta vs playing in a blizzard. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It appears the NFL actually wanted to move the game to Atlanta vs playing in a blizzard. 

I would have ok with that.  There’s enough transplants in the area and surrounding states that it could feel like a home game for the Bills. 

The news stations are ridiculous. They're showing previously recorded video right now on wgrz and the abc show. 

They're showing ridiculous footage that can be proven wrong by the ny thruway cam system and other weather cams

Having just made the rounds at Channels 2, 4, 7 (online), it sounds like the storm band formed further to the north than expected!  It's going to slowly move south throughout the day.

But right now, no reason not to be playing football in OP at 1pm today. People from the north would have trouble getting to the stadium, but it really wouldn't be bad in OP. 

Ironically, the delay will shift game time much more into the time zone when the storm hits SOUTH in OP.

Sounds like the weather folks didn't nail this one.

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

…and always possible that a narrow band may not move for hours on end. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.