Will McD get out of Nickel base early enough to win?

There is no reason to be in Nickel base defence in this game. Against Mason Rudolph in the wind and snow they will not be passing the ball. They are going to run and run over and over. I feel like it will take McD having a couple TD’s scored against him to get out of Nickel and hope it’s not too late when points will be at a premium. It’s the only way Pit can win.

Go heavy and stop the run for the win. Also absolutely no need for Von Miller out there. Use Shaq and Kingsley and secure the edges go big.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

30 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There is no reason to be in Nickel base defence in this game. Against Mason Rudolph in the wind and snow they will not be passing the ball. They are going to run and run over and over. I feel like it will take McD having a couple TD’s scored against him to get out of Nickel and hope it’s not too late when points will be at a premium. It’s the only way Pit can win.

Go heavy and stop the run for the win. Also absolutely no need for Von Miller out there. Use Shaq and Kingsley and secure the edges go big.

We should hire you to be HC as you clearly know more than McDermott does.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Send your resume over to OBD stat!

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Who are you, my cousins in Kingston want to know…, 

• Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Except Steelers run 3 WR 75% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Who are you putting out on the field after you take Taron off? 

McDermott has been great this year as defensive coordinator, especially given all the injuries. You still don't trust him? Have a little faith. McDermott knows what he is doing.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 2

Play 44 defense.

4 DL 4 LB 3 DB

The 4 LB's mix Spector/Poyer/Dobson. Even Klein to keep bodies fresh. We can get banged up defensively.

Ford, Joseph need to be up. Miller, for his knees sake, isn't needed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Play 44 defense.

4 DL 4 LB 3 DB

The 4 LB's mix Spector/Poyer/Dobson. Even Klein to keep bodies fresh. We can get banged up defensively.

I am assuming you are calling Taron Johnson a LB since you only named 3 LBs and he is one of the best at diagnosing plays and tackling.

Or you forgot to include Terrel Bernard.

Tyler Matakevich will likely be playing in relief as well.

They did sign AJ Klein so I think there’s a chance they show a true 4-3 but it’s not teams haven’t tried to run when Taron is on the field.  He’s just very good and he allows them to stay in Nickel without getting victimized. 

• Agree 2

I hope they sit Von again and activate Linval Joseph.  I don't see Von getting much push or speed on a slick field.  Better another wide body to clog the line of scrimmage and stuff the run.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Agree. Ditch the nickel base defense and load the box. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Our defense has been pretty dominant

Maybe let the experts do their work

Come playoff the McD has been disappointing. 

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Except Steelers run 3 WR 75% of the time.

So what. I doubt the Steelers pass game can beat the Bills. 

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

McDermott has been great thus year as defensive coordinator, especially given all the injuries. You still don't trust him? Have a little faith. McDermott knows what he is doing.

It's playoff time. This isn't the time to trust McD. Sorry but it's true. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I am assuming you are calling Taron Johnson a LB since you only named 3 LBs and he is one of the best at diagnosing plays and tackling.

Or you forgot to include Terrel Bernard.

Tyler Matakevich will likely be playing in relief as well.

Bernard is a given. Poyer or Johnson in the box as a safety. Rapp can come in too, or play deep man. 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I hope they sit Von again and activate Linval Joseph.  I don't see Von getting much push or speed on a slick field.  Better another wide body to clog the line of scrimmage and stuff the run.

This.  Von going to look like he’s on the ice playing for the Sabres getting pushed around there, if they activate him.  This is not the game to hope he’s going to turn into HOF Von. 

11 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There’s a very good reason - his name’s Taron Johnson.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Lol yeah playoffs are no time to trust the HC. It’s the ramblings of know-nothing fans that should rule the day.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

While Rudolph isn’t a great QB, he has plenty of arm strength. That won’t be what holds him back in this game. 

• Disagree 1

Taron Johnson plays the run well.  So does Cam Lewis if Rapp is out.  So does Poyer.  And Spector played well for Dodson last week.  

If guys are out then make Joseph active.  With him and Daquan et al up front we should play the run just fine.

We don't need to get out of nickel personnel. Because taking Johnson off the field for another linebacker (a position at which we are already thin) definitively makes this defense weaker. People talk like Taron struggles against the run. He is one of the best run defenders on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You know that Taron Johnson is one of the best tacklers on the team. Right?

That being said, with Douglas likely on the DL for this game, do we play Taron and Benford as the two corners in our 4-3 base?

5 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

That being said, with Douglas likely on the DL for this game, do we play Taron and Benford as the two corners in our 4-3 base?

Benford and Jackson outside. Taron is NOT an outside CB. He plays the slot and just isn't suited for boundary.

11 hours ago, boyst said:

Play 44 defense.

4 DL 4 LB 3 DB

I don't think we have 4 healthy starting caliber LBs on the roster to pull that off. Toss in Pittsburgh's WR of Johnson and Pickens can be sneaky good so playing just 3 DBs makes no sense. 

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don’t think there’s as big of a distinction between a big time regular season game and a playoff game as people make it sound.  We’ve been playing playoff football for weeks now against playoff teams battling for seeding and the defense has played well.  

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't think we have 4 healthy starting caliber LBs on the roster to pull that off. Toss in Pittsburgh's WR of Johnson and Pickens can be sneaky good so playing just 3 DBs makes no sense. 

All the talk about Pitt has been interesting to me…you’d think they are calling the army offense and just running every play lol. Really their running game has been mediocre and they’ve been getting it done throwing when the box gets crowded 

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

the linebackers aren't neccessarily linebackers. poyer and johnson up in the box posing as linebackers would be worthwhile.

infact, i like siran neal some this week because he is a sound tackler and i don't want anyone on defense hurt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.