Will McD get out of Nickel base early enough to win?

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I hope they sit Von again and activate Linval Joseph.  I don't see Von getting much push or speed on a slick field.  Better another wide body to clog the line of scrimmage and stuff the run.

And Joseph is paid 2 millions for half a year.... to stop the run. With him and Jones back, hopefully they stuff the run. Sure in a video game, you put more LBs in. But in real life, you have to drill this alignment the Bills almost never use. Hopefully, McD and others learned a few tricks from that "wind game" against the Cheats.

I’m definitely not taking Taron off for a LB. Agree with everyone saying taron is great against the run, and our next LB up is not gonna be as good overall. 

if taron comes off I want a iDL in. Poot Ed DQ and ford in the middle with Rousseau and Shaq/Floyd in a bear front against 13 and maybe even 12 personnel (Washington might be too much for us to run nickel). If they wanna throw drop into a cover 3 with one of the DEs covering a flat or hook to curl. 

I think this is the chess match of the game really. If they play 11 cool we’re in nickel and I trust our DL with single high coverage to stop the run. If they lean into big personnel to run as people expect how do we counter.  

12 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There is no reason to be in Nickel base defence in this game. Against Mason Rudolph in the wind and snow they will not be passing the ball. They are going to run and run over and over. I feel like it will take McD having a couple TD’s scored against him to get out of Nickel and hope it’s not too late when points will be at a premium. It’s the only way Pit can win.

Go heavy and stop the run for the win. Also absolutely no need for Von Miller out there. Use Shaq and Kingsley and secure the edges go big.

He’ll be out of the nickel early especially because they activated Klein from the practice squad. Linval Joseph will be important in this game.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I’m definitely not taking Taron off for a LB. Agree with everyone saying taron is great against the run, and our next LB up is not gonna be as good overall. 

if taron comes off I want a iDL in. Poot Ed DQ and ford in the middle with Rousseau and Shaq/Floyd in a bear front against 13 and maybe even 12 personnel (Washington might be too much for us to run nickel). If they wanna throw drop into a cover 3 with one of the DEs covering a flat or hook to curl. 

I think this is the chess match of the game really. If they play 11 cool we’re in nickel and I trust our DL with single high coverage to stop the run. If they lean into big personnel to run as people expect how do we counter.  

put in Taron to the OLB position.

Think 3-4 with Taron playing Sam. He would be covered and not required to play contain - therefor he is the nickel CB in the LB position closer to the LOS.

The Will spot would/should be Dobson since is already Will and can tackle. Inside we put Spector who would be natural as a spy on the backfield.

With 4 DL these guys should be able to freely move around the backfield for most downs.

On obvious passing downs we can substitute Spector for Poyer.

We have essentially been doing this all season at various points but more commonly of recent.

51 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

He’ll be out of the nickel early especially because they activated Klein from the practice squad. Linval Joseph will be important in this game.

Klein has not been activated. He was only signed to the practice squad likely as depth insurance in the event that Dotson isn't ready to go on Sunday. Smart move by Beane to get him a few practices, but this does not mean he'll be active on Sunday.  I fully agree that Joseph should be active for the Steelers and will be an important piece. I also expect McDerrmott to play primarily nickel and use #7 & 21 in run blitzes early and often. 

I'm no McD fanboy. But, I trust McD on D totally and to play run but adapt fast. We have the personnel, which is HUGE.

We just need our O to be patient, score >14 and no turnovers. Brady needs to play a Dallas 2.0 but with less Cooking.

Edited by Since1981

23 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

Klein has not been activated. He was only signed to the practice squad likely as depth insurance in the event that Dotson isn't ready to go on Sunday. Smart move by Beane to get him a few practices, but this does not mean he'll be active on Sunday.  I fully agree that Joseph should be active for the Steelers and will be an important piece. I also expect McDerrmott to play primarily nickel and use #7 & 21 in run blitzes early and often. 

Klein will be active with Dodson unable to go. With only Williams available as MLB (play caller responsibility) Klein will be useful.

Going heavy for the Bills usually means pulling one or both safeties close to the line.  They're not as big as most LBs but they, and Taron Johnson, tackle like fiends.  It will be up to the Steelers to show us what we need to do.  If they try passing a lot, then keeping the safeties back is a good idea with Pickens in the house.  But if it's run run run, then I'd expect Hyde to line up closer to the LOS.

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think there’s as big of a distinction between a big time regular season game and a playoff game as people make it sound.  We’ve been playing playoff football for weeks now against playoff teams battling for seeding and the defense has played well.  

All the talk about Pitt has been interesting to me…you’d think they are calling the army offense and just running every play lol. Really their running game has been mediocre and they’ve been getting it done throwing when the box gets crowded 

So we already won the SB then with the winning streak? 

Yes it makes a difference. It's still a different animal. 

I get a kick out of people with .01% of the football knowledge of an NFL coordinator who try to suggest X and O concepts.  As if some intern is going to come across this thread and sprint to McDermott's office to tell him that the Steelers will try to run the ball and, oh, by the way, nobody showed up to Mason Rudolph's birthday party.

"So you have no frame of reference, Donny.  You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie."

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol yeah playoffs are no time to trust the HC. It’s the ramblings of know-nothing fans that should rule the day.

Trust your eyes. Go back and look at the Bills playoff games. It's right there for you to see; especially, the last two years which is glaring...

15 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

There is no reason to be in Nickel base defence in this game. Against Mason Rudolph in the wind and snow they will not be passing the ball. They are going to run and run over and over. I feel like it will take McD having a couple TD’s scored against him to get out of Nickel and hope it’s not too late when points will be at a premium. It’s the only way Pit can win.

Go heavy and stop the run for the win. Also absolutely no need for Von Miller out there. Use Shaq and Kingsley and secure the edges go big.

"Get out of nickel" he says. It'll be fun, he says.

17 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

You better hustle over the Coach's meeting before they close the offices for today. It's Friday afternoon, hustle.

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Steelers will use 3 TEs and Harris a lot in this game.  Bills had a lot of injuries in game vis Fish.

image.png.db692c77c4c6d1b43e7aaf0d46490b1f.png

If Bills are able to throw the ball they can keep game out of reach of them however.

https://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report/

Outside of Watt, the Steelers are looking quite healthy given the time of year.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.