Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

Head coach changes

Panthers fired Reich 

Chargers fired Staley

vegas fired coach— HIRED PIERCE ( had interim title)

Belicheat leaving Pats ??? —HIRED MAYO

Commanders fired Rivera 

Atlanta fired coach 

Vrabel out as head coach in Tenn.  —HIRED Bengals OC Callahan

Dallas keeps McCarthy ( short rope, first coach fired?)

—- Pete Carroll in Seattle  is stepping aside and being an advisor.

—Tomlin is not under contract after next season. Could he step away/ take a break

Alabama has a HC vacancy….the cicada flew off sfter 17 years.

HIRE— Jerod Mayo hired by Patriots 

Edited by djp14150

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Could Pete Carrol finally hang em up? 

Albert Breer has been beating that drum for a while. Wonder what he’s actually heard. 

• Like (+1) 1

All ready open:

Panthers

Chargers

Raiders

All but certain to make a Black Monday move:

Patriots

Commanders

Other spots to watch:

Falcons (Arthur Smith)

Seahawks (Pete Carroll - retirement)

That would be seven openings again. The league can't sustain this level of coaching turnover. The talent pipeline isn't capable of re-stocking at this speed.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All ready open:

Panthers

Chargers

Raiders

Patriots

Commanders

Other spots to watch:

Falcons (Arthur Smith)

That would be seven openings again. The league can't sustain this level of coaching turnover. The talent pipeline isn't capable of re-stocking at this speed.

Yeah, the college system can't produce enough quality QBs and HCs. I'd say there's enough talent for a 28 team league.

People, like Goodell, talking expansion are nuts.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think that should be at least on the table there but it seems like he is safe. 

Agreed. Think that 7–10 buys him one more year. For the sake of that franchise I hope if he is retained he takes a long hard look at getting a replacement if the Fields experiment falters again. 

Do you feel they go QB or ride the pine another year?

39 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I feel like after the way the Pats lost today, there isn’t a doubt in Krafts mind that he needs to move on from Bill. And he’s right. 

Jerod Mayo is the reported front runner to replace BB. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I feel like after the way the Pats lost today, there isn’t a doubt in Krafts mind that he needs to move on from Bill. And he’s right. 

I know a team where he will be welcomed!  If only I owned it.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

No offense but he mite have a heart attack  before that.

He needs to lose weight and get eating right for heath and welfare

Say that again, but this time with some nuggies

• Haha (+1) 7

58 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Head coach changes

Panthers fired Reich 

Chargers fired Staley

Belicheat leaving Pats ???

Commanders firing Rivera ??

Another name to watch: Mike Vrabel. I feel like he should be back, ownership has said they want him back, but wouldn't shock me if he left for another opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All ready open:

Panthers

Chargers

Raiders

Patriots

Commanders

Other spots to watch:

Falcons (Arthur Smith)

I mean it doesn't really sustain it there's terrible teams every year.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Agreed. Think that 7–10 buys him one more year. For the sake of that franchise I hope if he is retained he takes a long hard look at getting a replacement if the Fields experiment falters again. 

you have to reset the clock on the qb cap hit while you have the top pick 

the only way you can pass on a qb is if you are 100% on fields. Otherwise deal him and avoid purgatory 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Another name to watch: Mike Vrabel. I feel like he should be back, ownership has said they want him back, but wouldn't shock me if he left for another opportunity.

He should. Guy has kept them a competitive team and they’re only a year removed from the #1 seed. 

QB play is the be all-end all and he’s at least trying to get a replacement for Tannehill and looks to be willing to move on from the project if it isn’t up to par. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Personally I'd have done what they did ladt year, traded out, stocked picks... because there were enough flashes from Fields as a playmaker. He makes out of structure plays at times that probably only Allen, Mahomes and Jackson can match.... but the in structure stuff isn't developing. The bread and butter QB skills are no further enhanced to my eye this year. 

So I think if I am content Williams checks out personality wise I'd pick him were I the GM and they will still get someone willing to trade for Fields and give them a day 2 pick back possibly.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I'd have done what they did ladt year, traded out, stocked picks... because there were enough flashes from Fields as a playmaker. He makes out of structure plays at times that probably only Allen, Mahomes and Jackson can match.... but the in structure stuff isn't developing. The bread and butter QB skills are no further enhanced to my eye this year. 

So I think if I am content Williams checks out personality wise I'd pick him were I the GM and they will still get someone willing to trade for Fields and give them a day 2 pick back possibly.

I share the same sentiment and is the only reason I’d be moving on if I had some choice in that scenario. Like you said, there isn’t much development there. He has a place  but it certainly isn’t one where they are reliant on winning the game by arm talent alone with him. 

If they feel Williams isn’t the best option, who is next for them in your eyes? Maye? Penix Jr.?

Wow, Saints players decided to call their own play and overruled Dennis Allen to score a TD rather than kneel down.

Winston called it a "team decision" and has no regrets. Said they wanted to honor their teammate by getting him a TD for his selfless play all year. 

That's pretty unusual I would think. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

I think they pretty much have to go QB in the draft due to Fields’ contract status and the relative lack of development in terms of pocket presence/pocket passing. 

Having said that, I’m halfway through my scouting of Caleb Williams (haven’t hit this most recent season yet but did study his Heisman campaign) and he is not someone I’d be comfortable taking at the top of the draft personally. The physical tools and creativity are extremely captivating though and I generally favor those types of prospects but it’s legitimately rare to see him simply run the play that is called and do it on schedule.

We’ll see how it shakes out once I finish his tape but right now I’d probably grade him as a mid to late 1st rounder based purely on his play. I tend to think a lot of the off field stuff people are getting hung up on is overrated but I’ve been shocked by how much I’ve disliked his on field play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

As tempting as stock piling picks would be, they'd be dumb to pass up Caleb. Unless somehow they can land work out a deal that gets them  #2 (Maye) and a top 5 that lands Harrison. Sounds crazy but we saw Houston pick #1 and #2 or something like that recently, so maybe but proli no lol

29 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Wow, Saints players decided to call their own play and overruled Dennis Allen to score a TD rather than kneel down.

Winston called it a "team decision" and has no regrets. Said they wanted to honor their teammate by getting him a TD for his selfless play all year. 

Usually, but jameis is the weirdest dude in the league lol I could see it being his idea, 10 other saying NOOOO and him audibling to the play anyways 😆😆😆

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, scuba guy said:

No offense but he mite have a heart attack  before that.

He needs to lose weight and get eating right for heath and welfare

I mean, you’re not wrong, but this is a guy who put his coaching career ahead of the physical and psychological well being of two of his sons.  Why would he put his own physical well being ahead of his coaching career?

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The Arthur Smith situation is why you absolutely have to take a big swing on a QB within probably the first 2 years of your tenure, let alone 3. 

That really has to suck for him knowing he didn’t even give himself a shot with a possible franchise QB. 

At least he set all sorts of records for pouting and whining.  

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Did he have an incentive I'm guessing?

Either way that's still ridiculous, what he ran it in when the other team thought it was an agreed ending of the game yippee, is he an NFL player or a Make a Wish Kid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.