So how are we feeling about Coach McDermott?

I’m happy for him.  He’s been the defensive play caller that we’ve needed.  He needs to keep it up.  I’d fire him if we miss the playoffs, but I realize that is not going to happen.  

I like the guy.  Always have.  He’s done a good job this month but I think we should make our determination after the season is over.  Let’s see how he does in our last game of the season 

54 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

His best timeout of the season was this weekend when they were in shotgun on 3rd and 1.  You know he talked to Josh and said "whatever Brady called, ignore it.  Get it yourself"

He also said something to Stef in that timeout. Maybe to throw off the Pats, or because he's a captain too, but he was intentional in finding him and talking to him at that timeout. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

McDermott can't do anything right.  Allen can't do anything wrong.  Am I doing it right?

You forgot "Ralph is cheap" but other than that you did great.

My opinion of him hasn't changed. Nor has the likelihood that he will be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills next season. Even if we lose and miss the playoffs. That's because Terry Pegula's opinion of him likely won't change. 

Right now the biggest question I have (aside from the potential playoff run) is what he does at OC and DC. That's really the storyline heading to next season IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

All I know is we’re 5-1 since Brady has taken over. 

McD still has his head scratchers, but from a coaching perspective, the 12 men on the field loss was the best thing that could happen (though I’ll never know how McD spun that loss into being the final straw for the OC,  it was the best thing to happen to the team this year.)

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You forgot "Ralph is cheap" but other than that you did great.

My opinion of him hasn't changed. Nor has the likelihood that he will be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills next season. Even if we lose and miss the playoffs. That's because Terry Pegula's opinion of him likely won't change. 

Right now the biggest question I have (aside from the potential playoff run) is what he does at OC and DC. That's really the storyline heading to next season IMO. 

He desperately needs to find someone to get the Quarterback on track.   Josh still makes plays no one else on the league can make, but this is the third year in a row his passing yards and tds have decreased.  Maybe that's due to the Wideouts not getting separation but they have to figure it out.

I took a look at the offensive stats since Brady took over and Josh has been less productive under Brady.  It seems like there has been an effort to take the ball out of his hands.  Rushing stats are up and turnovers are down the last 6 weeks.   Rather than trust your superstar QB to win games they are trying to run and play defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

His best timeout of the season was this weekend when they were in shotgun on 3rd and 1.  You know he talked to Josh and said "whatever Brady called, ignore it.  Get it yourself"

If this is really how it went down, why didn’t he veto Dorsey the 48 times he called it? 

• Agree 1

This team with all of the talent that it has, and particularly given how the D has played given the injuries and new starters, should be 13-3 at minimum with the 1st Seed and HA locked up.  Yet it isn't.  

McD has this team coming into games comatose too often, has it performing way too inconsistently, etc.  

Again, if we win a Super Bowl things change, but until then, we need to stop underachieving in the playoffs and losing for stupid reasons or to inferior teams.  

This is a prime opportunity for him to shine in that regard.  The only team that's arguably better than we are is Baltimore, arguably.  

We have more talent on offense to be sure however.  

But if we make a Wild-Card or Divisional round exit again, losing to a team that doesn't have our talent, or Allen, then that should paint the determining picture quite clearly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

This was exactly what popped in my mind when that timeout was called. I thought it was a very good timeout

• Like (+1) 2

Nothing has changed.  He's got his strengths and weaknesses. I'd prefer an offensive HC to emphasize Josh's skills but the team did rally around him. We've just played so poorly against weaker teams.  Elite coaches don't have this issue. Whether he ever leads this team to a championship is probably unlikely. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has anyone changed their opinion of him over the last month?

This will be an emotional weekend. I’m prepared for a lot of McDermott threads Sunday night if things go poorly. I want to see how we’re feeling entering the biggest regular season game of his head coaching career.

No. I still want an offensive HC who brings in a WCO. 1st round pick must be WR.  Heck, maybe even our 2nd rounder.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

My opinion has changed ZERO.  Nothing that has occurred since the firing of Dorsey has changed McDermott in any way.

Back when we were losing, MANY posters here said "At this point, we have to win the AFC Championship game for me to reconsider my position with McDermott" or similar.  

I really hope McDermott remains on the hot seat regardless of how this season plays out.

The goal here is not to heroically make the playoffs...the goal should be winning MULTIPLE SUPER BOWLS while Josh Allen can still play football.

McDermott remains an "0 for" in that regard, and this season is likely to be the same.

The reality is he was never on the hot seat.

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

This team with all of the talent that it has, and particularly given how the D has played given the injuries and new starters, should be 13-3 at minimum with the 1st Seed and HA locked up.  Yet it isn't.  

I fundamentally don't agree with that statement. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Nothing has changed.  He's got his strengths and weaknesses. I'd prefer an offensive HC to emphasize Josh's skills but the team did rally around him. We've just played so poorly against weaker teams.  Elite coaches don't have this issue. Whether he ever leads this team to a championship is probably unlikely. 

Andy Reid is not an elite coach?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He has his moments, but it seems he doesn’t know the first thing about clock management. 

I feel he has been better with this in the last month. Have you seen something where you wouldn't agree?

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m happy for him.  He’s been the defensive play caller that we’ve needed.  He needs to keep it up.  I’d fire him if we miss the playoffs, but I realize that is not going to happen.  

I like the guy.  Always have.  He’s done a good job this month but I think we should make our determination after the season is over.  Let’s see how he does in our last game of the season 

I would also still consider firing him if we miss the playoffs if I were the owner. It isn't going to happen and it was never going to happen beyond a total collapse. 

I don't think my view has changed that missing the playoffs with this team is an underachievement and while I do think there are circumstances that come into play I think it is fireable. 

The one area I have changed my view is coming out of Denver I thought he had to give up defensive playcalling (or Terry had to make him). In that middle stretch of the season he was doing a terrible job of it. But give him his due post bye his defensive gameplans and playcalling have been totally on point. 

• Agree 2

If you wanted him fired a month ago you should want him fired now. I don't see why anything that has happened would change your mind. 

Playoffs were never the goal. Anything less than an AFC championship game appearance is a complete failure. 

Let's revisit this in February...

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Interesting that no one brings up the Jets loss. We win that first Jets game (which Josh lost for us), and we’re tied with Miami for the division lead and have the tiebreaker. But, hey, can’t be a Josh problem. Was the 12 men on the field a coaching issue? Sure. Was the Jets game a Josh issue? Yep. By the way, Josh has started a new interception streak. 

So are you advocating that we move on from Allen instead of McD?

Trying to plan for the worst and expecting a Billsy loss Sunday night.  A win, and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.  As for McD, I think his strength will always be his level of preparation prior to a game.  Once the game begins, it’s a matter of how far that will carry the team through a game, among other factors.  This is as good a year as any, to see if what he brings to the table can take this team to the next level.

Bottom line is this team is sniffing the playoffs because of McDermott and his undermanned defense. And he’s certainly returning as head coach next season.

I do still think he’ll be under less pressure next season missing the playoffs altogether at 10-7 as opposed to getting blown out in a couple weeks.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Totally understandable. What fans fail to understand is we have the expectation of Super Bowl because McDermott has built those expectations.

Just because you laid the foundation doesn't necessarily mean you're the right person to see it through.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I feel like we would have had the division clinched two weeks ago and vying for the #1 seed if we had a better head coach. 

To have the division clinched two weeks ago we would have to have been 13-1 at that point. Do you really think this roster is a 13-1 roster? Particularly on this schedule? Personally I think that is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He desperately needs to find someone to get the Quarterback on track.   Josh still makes plays no one else on the league can make, but this is the third year in a row his passing yards and tds have decreased.  Maybe that's due to the Wideouts not getting separation but they have to figure it out.

I took a look at the offensive stats since Brady took over and Josh has been less productive under Brady.  It seems like there has been an effort to take the ball out of his hands.  Rushing stats are up and turnovers are down the last 6 weeks.   Rather than trust your superstar QB to win games they are trying to run and play defense.

I think that's a bit deceiving.

Yes, rushing stats are up. Cook's touches are up as a result. But one of the reasons for the slide in pass stats to a boost in rush stats is also because under Brady, Josh has been used as a rusher far more. 

So, yes rushing stats are up but Allen's rushes are as well and the ball is still in his hands.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

My opinion has changed ZERO.  Nothing that has occurred since the firing of Dorsey has changed McDermott in any way.

Back when we were losing, MANY posters here said "At this point, we have to win the AFC Championship game for me to reconsider my position with McDermott" or similar.  

I really hope McDermott remains on the hot seat regardless of how this season plays out.

The goal here is not to heroically make the playoffs...the goal should be winning MULTIPLE SUPER BOWLS while Josh Allen can still play football.

McDermott remains an "0 for" in that regard, and this season is likely to be the same.

If Josh plays like he has quite a few games this season that will be difficult. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would also still consider firing him if we miss the playoffs if I were the owner. It isn't going to happen and it was never going to happen beyond a total collapse. 

I don't think my view has changed that missing the playoffs with this team is an underachievement and while I do think there are circumstances that come into play I think it is fireable. 

The one area I have changed my view is coming out of Denver I thought he had to give up defensive playcalling (or Terry had to make him). In that middle stretch of the season he was doing a terrible job of it. But give him his due post bye his defensive gameplans and playcalling have been totally on point. 

💯 

His late game defensive play calling vs Denver, jax and NE had me worried that he just wasn’t that good after a great start to the season.  

He’s been blitzing less while keeping the opposing O wondering if the blitz is coming as well as WHO is coming (and how they’re coming).  He’s been dialing up a lot of stunts which have been ultra productive.  

the tough part about firing him is losing him as our dc.  I feel our d is in great hands.  It’s the main reason we’re in position to win the AFCE 

There is a subset of posters here who have the knives out for McDermott. This past couple of weeks have been very hard on them because it's hard to be negative when the team is winning, even ugly winning. They've had to bite their lip when comes to talking smack about McDermott.

Don't be mistaken. The haters are still out there and are chomping at the bit to mouth off with their negativity and I told you so's. Nothing short of a Superbowl win will shut them up. Even then, some will still b----.

In all likelihood, the end of the 2023 season is going to be dominated by acrimonious McDermott haters. It's kind of a drag.

By the way is warm and fuzzy a choice…

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To have the division clinched two weeks ago we would have to have been 13-1 at that point. Do you really think this roster is a 13-1 roster? Particularly on this schedule? Personally I think that is ridiculous. 

Do you really think a better-coached team would have lost to the Jets, Patriots and Broncos?

• Like (+1) 1

Cons: He leads a team that continually struggles against poor teams.  His team lacks discipline and his clock management and game management in the 4th quarter is extremely poor. 

Pros: He is an exceptional human being with high character and leadership skills.  His players love and play hard for him.  He is a well above average DC, and has done a great job considering the major injuries to multiple star players.

Conclusion:  He had poor game management skills prior to assuming the DC/HC role and it looks to have amplified things.  I think he is spread to thin, and this is a big reason this team is frequently sloppy.  Unfortunately, I don’t think he has what it takes to lead the Bills to a championship (I’ll gladly eat crow) and because of this I’m still of the opinion the Bills need to find an Offensive HC in the offseason (well aware this won’t happen). 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Do you really think a better-coached team would have lost to the Jets, Patriots and Broncos?

With a Quarterback playing as Allen did against the Jets - yes. That game was on 17. The Patriots and Broncos games I completely agree coaching was the major fallibility and said so at the time and ever since. But even give us those two wins and have us 12-4 now we don't have the division wrapped up going into week 18, let alone by week 15. The Dolphins have won 11 games. The playoffs would be sealed and the #1 seed would still be in play but the division wouldn't be sealed.

• Like (+1) 2

I think his flaws would be more forgivable relative to his strengths if the strengths didn't disappear almost every time they play an elite offense.

The Dolphins game is a positive aberration to this, but every time Burrow comes in and kicks the living ***** out of them to the point where they don't appear to belong on the same field, it makes you wonder if he's good enough as a defensive head coach to justify having instead of hunting for multi-year continuity with an offensive coach alongside Allen.

It doesn't feel like this team will ever be able to win consecutive playoff games against top talent. It's hard for fans to know if that's because of our player talent or coaching, but obviously it always feels better to believe it's coaching

Edited by Fetou

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I fundamentally don't agree with that statement. 

Fundamentally, why not?  

Fundamentally there are two primary points there.  First, that the D has played very well considering the injuries.  Secondly, that we have more talent all around than just about every team of the teams that we've lost to.  

Do you take issue with the notion that our d has played incredibly well given the injury situation?  

Or do you take issue with that notion that we do not have more talent than at least three of the teams that we've lost to?   Jets, Pats, Denver, Jags, Eagles, or Bengals?  

Curious where the disagreement is.  

If we miss the playoffs, he should be fired. No chance Pegula does this. If we make the playoffs, he should be kept, but actually having some real postseason success should be the expectation instead of a choke job loss.

Edited by MWK

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.