Broncos benching Wilson

Dablitzkrieg

$37M is a lot to pay a middle-tier QB who's aged well past his prime.  They probably figure they can sign a young QB for a third of that amount and get just as good production.  Sure there will be a cap hit when they cut him but there would be one sooner or later, so why not just take the hit now and get it over with.  

The Denver trade with Seattle was a disaster for Denver.  Just like the Seattle trade with the Jets for Adams was a disaster for the Seahawks.  I think the Broncos went all in on winning last year, have been reeling through a hangover this year, and for a New Year's resolution they're going to be good from now on.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Did. Not. See. that. coming.

Is there precedent for a team benching their starter when they are still mathematically alive for the playoffs?

I grant that after the last two losses, their odds are apparently very low

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-playoff-picture-broncos-arent-technically-eliminated-yet/ar-AA1m2PHq

Not sure but I do know of a team that benched their starter going into the playoffs.

• Haha (+1) 2

Honestly, we see why they never let Russ cook. Dude is just a game manager. Payton looks very overrated as well though. 

might be the worst trade in history given the cost and his salary.  

his ego is too big to not be a problem as a backup. I could see the Steelers kicking the tires on him. He actually might be a good fit there.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I see him as a washed QB who has to have the right system to be average. 

No team is going through all that for a 1-2 year bandaid. 

Especially with his reputation of being a diva (competing with his wife) and someone who cannot teach his skills to a newbee I cannot see him being resigned unless it is a coach who has worked well with him before.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, boater said:

Who has a bigger problem?

• the Broncos with Wilson (5 yrs/$245 mil)
  • or, the Bills with Von Miller (6 yrs/$120 mil)

Seems to me that the Broncos have the much bigger problem. Though, neither position is enviable.

Bills deal with Von is essentially a 3 year deal as structured. Was never intended for him to be a Bill past that. With legal issues , maybe he’s gone a year early. Wilson deal is worse. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They are running a varient of the Shanny offense too. That requires playing WITHIN structue.

Right.  I forgot to add that as the main reason they wouldn’t consider Wilson as that’s not his strong suit.

13 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Zach Wilson, beats the Bills gets benched

Mac Jones, beats the Bills gets benched

Russel Wilson, beats the Bills gets benched

How is it that the Bills are the highlight of the season for these bums?

Broncos are 6-3 after a 1-5 start.  

Russ' strength is evading pressure and hitting a guy in the hands long.  When he was in Seattle they called the play in the huddle and practiced it in practice.  He can't throw over the middle cuz he's too short and can't see over the DLine.  

Yet Coach Hackett and now Coach Payton have tried to shoehorn him into dink 'n dunk offense with bad results.

If you want Russ to be successful on your team, have a good run game. Get him on some roll outs.  Practice and then call the scramble drill once every 6 or 7 plays.

Edited by reddogblitz

4 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Pete Carroll was an absolute genius who was able to mask Russ' deficiencies over the years while in Seattle and then "sold high" while he could. Look at what Carroll turned Geno into after being a career JAG. 

Give Russ a little more credit than that.  It was just 2020 when he threw 4200 yards and 40 TD passes.  

In 2018, "out of the 5,286 total yards the Seahawks offense accumulated, Wilson accounted for 4,571 of them. Wilson was responsible for an astonishing 86 percent of Seattle’s total offensive output for the season, which is an NFL record."

He was great, once upon a time.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

this is pretty wild---force feeding him yet another contract renegotiation all season.  he rightly says no, we signed a contract.  now they are willing to toss a chance at the playoffs to POSSIBLY save money down the road.

Where is the NFLPA? lol

A contract he’s wildly underperforming and a playoff shot that is quite slim…

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dan said:

And herein lies the lesson for the Fire McDermott crowd.   Typically a new HC wants.. his guys.. not that his guys are necessarily better than the guys he inherited; but new HC hires always mean massive roster overhauls.  

I'm not saying Josh would be gone if a new HC came in, but you can bet 75% of the roster will be within 2 years, while we hope to tread water and claim success.  New HC’s are always risky!  And the more “established” they are… the more they usually ***** up to do it their way.  

SP may end up being the guy to end Denver’s misery, but how long and at what cost?  It seems with benching Wilson, they’re firmly treading water on a hope a prayer. 

with the cap, 75 percent may be gone in 2 years anyway.  And Payton is a particularly egocentric guy. 

1 hour ago, boater said:

Seems to me that the Broncos have the much bigger problem. Though, neither position is enviable.

Den for sure.  Mess up the QB spot like this creates major long term issues.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

this is pretty wild---force feeding him yet another contract renegotiation all season.  he rightly says no, we signed a contract.  now they are willing to toss a chance at the playoffs to POSSIBLY save money down the road.

Where is the NFLPA? lol

I see the majority of posts bashing Wilson, but I totally agree that he is getting shafted. The team signed a deal, now want to change it so that they can make sure they have the least possible cap hit when they dump him, and Wilson is supposed to agree? 😂

He may not be playing like he was in his prime but I’m sure he’s playing his heart out and doesn’t deserve this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

Is the NFL turning into college football with the power the head coaches are wielding. 

Payton comes in and moves the freaking franchise to get what he wants. Damn. That’s serious power. What in the hell was Denver thinking doing this Wilson deal without the input of a guy like Payton, when your next move was to go and get a Payton. 

Wilson is so freaking odd, he put in a fairly good season this past year despite the slow start they got back into it. It would be far easier for the Broncos to cut him after next season and they could simply draft a QB and give Russ the opportunity to start next season and then cut him in 2025 or 2026 when it would be easier to cut him cap wise.

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think you are serious with this argument. You can do better than that.

The point is that this isn’t the season he’s wildly underperforming, so yes…it is a serious argument.  he’s not being benched for his performance this year, as you know

16 minutes ago, vincec said:

I see the majority of posts bashing Wilson, but I totally agree that he is getting shafted. The team signed a deal, now want to change it so that they can make sure they have the least possible cap hit when they dump him, and Wilson is supposed to agree? 😂

He may not be playing like he was in his prime but I’m sure he’s playing his heart out and doesn’t deserve this.

they tried to do this in October and he obviously said no way—NFLPA and his agent got them to back off.  They did it anyway. 

Then likely high Sean  Payton serves up an insane load of BS by saying he’s benching a healthy Wilson for Stidham because the most important thing is winning games. 

That franchise is becoming a bigger joke than the two in New Jersey. 

29 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Give Russ a little more credit than that.  It was just 2020 when he threw 4200 yards and 40 TD passes.  

In 2018, "out of the 5,286 total yards the Seahawks offense accumulated, Wilson accounted for 4,571 of them. Wilson was responsible for an astonishing 86 percent of Seattle’s total offensive output for the season, which is an NFL record."

He was great, once upon a time.  

And what did Geno do last year after doing absolutely NOTHING for an entire 8 year career? 69.8% completion rate, almost 4,300 yds, and 30 TD's. Sorry. No, I will not give Russ more credit. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Wilson is so freaking odd, he put in a fairly good season this past year despite the slow start they got back into it. It would be far easier for the Broncos to cut him after next season and they could simply draft a QB and give Russ the opportunity to start next season and then cut him in 2025 or 2026 when it would be easier to cut him cap wise.

The coach doesn't want him starting next year.  He wants to have a younger QB room that Payton can groom the way he wants them to play.  Russ is too set in his ways for Payton and Payton may be too set in his ways for Russ.  

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Had he made 2025 not guaranteed for injury, that may have been the plan but they weren’t risking him for two more years 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, we see why they never let Russ cook. Dude is just a game manager. Payton looks very overrated as well though. 

might be the worst trade in history given the cost and his salary.  

his ego is too big to not be a problem as a backup. I could see the Steelers kicking the tires on him. He actually might be a good fit there.

They beat us 

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Pete Carroll was an absolute genius who was able to mask Russ' deficiencies over the years while in Seattle and then "sold high" while he could. Look at what Carroll turned Geno into after being a career JAG. 

It's interesting.

Carroll is a defensive coach and yet he was able to create an environment where Wilson was very successful and where Geno resurrected his career.

Both Carroll and McVay have somewhat rebuilt their reputations.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Zach Wilson, beats the Bills gets benched

Mac Jones, beats the Bills gets benched

Russel Wilson, beats the Bills gets benched

How is it that the Bills are the highlight of the season for these bums?

That's a good question.

50 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Russ' strength is evading pressure and hitting a guy in the hands long.  When he was in Seattle they called the play in the huddle and practiced it in practice.  He can't throw over the middle cuz he's too short and can't see over the DLine.  

If you want Russ to be successful on your team, have a good run game. Get him on some roll outs.  Practice and then call the scramble drill once every 6 or 7 plays.

The egotistic Payton is not the kind of guy who's going to build an offense around a QB... especially one who he inherited and is overpaid. Payton is gonna want to find someone to run his system.

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He’s having a better season than Mahomes, who has not been benched 

That's pretty funny.

19 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Is the NFL turning into college football with the power the head coaches are wielding. 
Payton comes in and moves the freaking franchise to get what he wants. Damn. That’s serious power. What in the hell was Denver thinking doing this Wilson deal without the input of a guy like Payton, when your next move was to go and get a Payton. 

• On January 27, 2022, Hackett was hired to become the head coach of the Broncos.
  • On March 16, 2022 Wilson was acquired by the Broncos.
  • On September 1, 2022, Wilson signed a five-year, $245 million contract extension with the Broncos.
  • On December 26, 2022 Hackett was fired by the Broncos.
  • On February 3, 2023, Payton was hired by the Broncos.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point is that this isn’t the season he’s wildly underperforming, so yes…it is a serious argument.  he’s not being benched for his performance this year, as you know

they tried to do this in October and he obviously said no way—NFLPA and his agent got them to back off.  They did it anyway. 

Then likely high Sean  Payton serves up an insane load of BS by saying he’s benching a healthy Wilson for Stidham because the most important thing is winning games. 

That franchise is becoming a bigger joke than the two in New Jersey. 

so we are arguing that Payton is benching him for 2022? 

come on Weo, I know you’ve got better in there 

2 hours ago, boater said:

Kind of like asking, what's worse 3 years in prison or 5? Lol

It's in jest honestly, but neither position is something to envy 🤣

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.