Bills at Chargers, Game Week Thread Sat. 8 pm on Peacock (7 pm for us Flyover Folks)

Beck Water

3 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I'm worried too short week cross country and know this team has lost to Mac Jones and Zack Wilson, but McDermotts D usually eats up these qbs like Easton Stick.  

Agreed I think they still win but it will be closer than any of us wish it will be.

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

I gotta wonder if that was the plan going in or if they made a quick adjustment when they realized that Parsons was compromised.

It was immediately clear within a few snaps that he had minimal jump, no power and he was clearly sucking wind before the Bills even hit midfield on the first series.

When some guy on his couch 150 miles away can see it right off the bat, could somebody on the Bills staff have picked it up and got into Brady's ear about it?

I'm pretty sure that the plan was to run to some extent.  As someone pointed out, the Cowboys defense relies on their intense DL and excellent secondary.  Their LB are only "OK".  I'm not a college football follower, but my understanding is that Parsons in college was originally noted as a "force" as a run-defending off-ball LB who developed into an unstoppable pass-rusher with Dallas.

So independent of Parsons sucking wind, I think the Bills looked at the Dallas defense - something like #4 against the pass but #20 in rush YPC - then looked at NT Johnathan Hankins being out for the game - and said "we're gonna have a good try to run on these guys".  Weakness: run D  Strength: Pass rush and secondary, take-aways.  Sounds like a plan!!!

I don't think that the Bills intended to run as much as they did, but Brady is apparently willing to be opportunistic and say "we're gonna do this until you prove you can stop it".  And I'm pretty sure the Bills quickly honed in on Parson's condition as something they could exploit in their specific choice of plays.

• Like (+1) 1

If we lose to Easton Stick with no Keenan Allen, no Bosa, and a 3rd string center then this team is as much a fraud as Dallas or Miami

Not enough credit is being given to the effect Josh’s potential to run had on the run game success. Almost every counter we ran had a free rusher who was concentrating on taking Josh out if he ran the ball which allowed the RB to not even have to dodge him before hitting the hole.

Props to Brady for sticking with the run when Dallas had an incredibly light defense and never tried to adjust. Their safety’s and LBs were giving up close to 100 pounds when being blocked by our O-lineman

James showed patience and vision better than any game I’ve seen him plays so far. 

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

We lose every tie breaker with just about every afc team because of our conference record is awful. We can only have 2 of the browns, bengals, texans and colts reach 10 wins for us to make the 7 seed.

If 3 of them reach 10 wins we need to be 11-6 which means the only way in is winning the division 

Even going 11-6 doesn't guarantee winning the AFCE, since Miami has only 4 losses now.  We need them to lose one other game.

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He may not have made huge plays on the qb but he is still a tank in the middle of the line. 

Actually I'll take this a step further.  Phillips NOT making huge plays in the backfield has been a sign of improved play *within the Bills scheme*.

Phillips weakness as a DT has always been "chasing stats" at the expense of maintaining gap integrity and run defense.  When you see a guy like Tre Edmunds giving Phillips an earful on the field after giving up a big run play, you KNOW he ain't doing it right (which I saw at least twice last season).

This season, to my admittedly inexpert eye, Phillips has done a much better job at "minding the store" and playing within the scheme.

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

If we lose to Easton Stick with no Keenan Allen, no Bosa, and a 3rd string center then this team is as much a fraud as Dallas or Miami

I don't think Miami is a fraud.  You'd have to state your case for that to persuade me.

But I do agree with the others who say that if the Bills can't beat the Herbert and Keenan Allen and Bosa-less Chargers, even going on the road on a short week while the Chargers have extra rest, we don't deserve playoffs.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I gotta wonder if that was the plan going in or if they made a quick adjustment when they realized that Parsons was compromised.

It was immediately clear within a few snaps that he had minimal jump, no power and he was clearly sucking wind before the Bills even hit midfield on the first series.

When some guy on his couch 150 miles away can see it right off the bat, could somebody on the Bills staff have picked it up and got into Brady's ear about it?

The only tell I see is that they are already leaving him unblocked early in that first series. I didn't even notice it during the game but now looking back- and what couldn't have been missed by our D team in the box- is that Parsons is getting a breather by the 5th or 6th play of that drive. Maybe going in they thought he was on his heels, and as you point out it would have surely been confirmed during that first drive.

Edited by AKC

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

True, but the colts and Texans play each other so it is only possible for 3 of them to get to 11 wins.  So, we the simplest way is we just need the Bengals to lose and if we win out we are in.  Other possibilities are if Miami loses a game and we win the division or if Cleveland loses 2....or if the team that wins the Colts/Texans game loses a game before this.  Also, need to put Jaguars in the mix.  If they lose one more they'll have 7 losses which means the Colts/Texans winner gets the wild card (taking them out of the division).  I agree that we really want to have 11 wins, even if Miami wins the next two so that doesn't win us the division...but there are still a LOT of permutations.

Jags can easily lose to the Bucs and if the Browns beat the Texans, a Bills win puts them in the 7th seed.

Of course, the Colts would need to beat the Falcons to move in the division lead.

Browns also play the Bengals the last game of the season.  Easiest path to a non-division playoff berth for Bills is having the Browns win

those 2 games and clinch the 5th playoff spot.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Actually I'll take this a step further.  Phillips NOT making huge plays in the backfield has been a sign of improved play *within the Bills scheme*.

Phillips weakness as a DT has always been "chasing stats" at the expense of maintaining gap integrity and run defense.  When you see a guy like Tre Edmunds giving Phillips an earful on the field after giving up a big run play, you KNOW he ain't doing it right (which I saw at least twice last season).

This season, to my admittedly inexpert eye, Phillips has done a much better job at "minding the store" and playing within the scheme.

Eh, i'm a big Phillips fan, but overall he hasn't played well this year.

More than his play, I think we may miss his energy and physicality for a few games.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Eh, i'm a big Phillips fan, but overall he hasn't played well this year.

More than his play, I think we may miss his energy and physicality for a few games.

Physicality? Like when he gets muscled all game long and is a giant liability in the run game? I don't think I've ever seen such a soft large human in my life. He used to add quickness/agility in the pass rush, but even that has sucked this season aside from last week. 

• Agree 2

Just now, wjag said:

No Allen, No Williams, No Herbet, No Bosa, No excuses.

Many of you are too young to remember the 2005 Steelers game. All we needed was a win to make the playoffs; the Bills were on a five-game winning streak. The Steelers had clinched a playoff spot and made it known early in the week they were sitting their starters--which they did--and we still lost 29-24.

Never count your wins before the game is played!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CSBill said:

Many of you are too young to remember the 2005 Steelers game. All we needed was a win to make the playoffs; the Bills were on a five-game winning streak. The Steelers had clinched a playoff spot and made it known early in the week they were sitting their starters--which they did--and we still lost 29-24.

Not me, I was in the stands for that game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Physicality? Like when he gets muscled all game long and is a giant liability in the run game? I don't think I've ever seen such a soft large human in my life. He used to add quickness/agility in the pass rush, but even that has sucked this season aside from last week. 

Being overpowered =/= physicality.

His attitude and mentality. McDermott actually talks about it often.

19 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

You are wrong.  You can’t just ignore all his good play and conclude that what’s left is useless.  

9 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This is a different team.  I would be shocked if they come out flat.  At some point we have to leave the past failures of this franchise ..in the past. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Many of you are too young to remember the 2005 Steelers game.

How young do you think the crowd here is? :)

Yes, the Steelers had some backups in. But they were VERY GOOD backups. 

James Harrison, an All-Pro and potential HOFer.

Willie Parker, who had three straight thousand yard seasons and multiple pro-bowlers, after that game.

Antwaan Randle El.

Tommy Maddox.

etc.

We lost that game because our statue of a QB fumbled and the Steelers returned it for a TD.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I wish I was too young to remember this 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, theAteam said:

Agreed I think they still win but it will be closer than any of us wish it will be.

58 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am not taking the point spread. I think the Bills win, but I think just getting out with a win is enough

That's not really the Bills' M.O., however.  When they are "on" they tend to blow out the bad/mediocre teams.  The Chargers may come out of the locker room with energy Saturday night but if (when) they fall behind by two scores I simply don't see them fighting to stick around.

Also -- McD tends to own inexperienced QBs.

Gonna go ahead and lay the points myself.

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

How young do you think the crowd here is? :)

Yes, the Steelers had some backups in. But they were VERY GOOD backups. 

James Harrison, an All-Pro and potential HOFer.

Willie Parker, who had three straight thousand yard seasons and multiple pro-bowlers, after that game.

Antwaan Randle El.

Tommy Maddox.

etc.

We lost that game because our statue of a QB fumbled and the Steelers returned it for a TD.

We lost because Josh Reed got called for a very shaky OPI right when the Bills were on the verge of going up 24-16. Ryan Lindell then missed a 28 yard FG. 3:03 mark of the third quarter: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501020buf.htm. A TD there and they win the game.

• Angry 1

55 minutes ago, wjag said:

Not me, I was in the stands for that game.

I was driving back to NC from Buffalo - made a plan to stop somewhere outside Piit and watch the game then continue on.  Stopped and watched it at an Applebees - my kids were seven - what a miserable game and rest of drive home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Chargers have opened the 21 day window to activate Joey Bosa.  😱 

If they just did that then he practices what 1 day? Yeah he's not playing, and I guess it doesn't matter when they do it at this point there's less than 21 days left before there last game.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.