This will be the first game I miss in 27 years. Thanks NFL

Heavy Kevi

13 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have watched every game for decades. Literally.

Even gotten free trials of fubo, downloaded apps, got up at absurd times to see London games, etc.

But this game isn't on LOCAL ROCHESTER MARKET because piddly little peacock is trying a money grab. 

All the other "exclusives" had free trials, were simulcast on a real network, or even in the case of prime- everyone already has it. But peacock, tiny little bullschitt peacock with nothing worthwhile to offer? The NFL not only isn't afraid, they actively don't like us.

So I can't. I just can't. Sure, I could afford the subscription; but I can't positively reinforce negative behavior by the NFL trying yet another way into fans' pockets. 

They will take our tax money to build the brand new stadium for a billionaire, but we can't even watch the effing game. Pathetic.

$1.99 for Peacock right now. I know I know it is principle. Tell that to season ticket holders. We moved to SC after having seasons for many many years and now have the NFL ticket. We even came up for the Jets game - that was a 4k trip after it was all said and done. Get Peacock for dirt cheap or dont watch - it is really that simple unless you go west a little for the game and spend more in gas, tolls, food et al.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are you on a computer? You can hear the Bills games on the website. They block phones.

Yes I am on a computer.  I have cell phone, a bigger button one for people with poor vision, but never use it for watching or listening to live events.

12 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

$1.99 for Peacock right now. I know I know it is principle. Tell that to season ticket holders. We moved to SC after having seasons for many many years and now have the NFL ticket. We even came up for the Jets game - that was a 4k trip after it was all said and done. Get Peacock for dirt cheap or dont watch - it is really that simple unless you go west a little for the game and spend more in gas, tolls, food et al.

$1.99 for Peacock deal expired except for students.

12 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This is “ Working Capitalism “

The NFL wields the power to be allowed to continue their monopoly…..

The politicians get taken care of and they pander to those with the fat wallets while they’ll the rest of us what we want to hear….. so long as the money keeps flowing 

Well that’s corrupted or crony capitalism. That’s what happens when governments/politicians interfere with the capitalist market, protecting existing entities, creating regulations to block new entities from entering and competing with the market, denying people in the market with free choice. 

Its only in these corrupted capitalist systems (ironically created by people who don’t believe in capitalism in the first place) where monopolies that punish their customers can survive. 

But that’s just the basics that everyone knows so I’m sure I’m not teaching you anything. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

How is it different?  Let me paraphrase/summarize:

”Hi, everyone!!  I own a Bills Backer bar!  We will be showing the Bills game LIVE for all of you local Bills fans!  

I’m probably gonna make a shitton of money from all of you and I thank you!

However … I am not here for your patronage … I am here for your pity. 

Yes … I could come to my own bar and watch the game with all of you. But I’d really rather watch it at home. 

But apparently the taxes that I pay somehow DO NOT INCLUDE free access to a paid streaming service that is necessary to have access to if I want to watch the game. 

Sure … my bar has access. Sure … I have a login and a password that I can use at home. 

But … after DECADES of supporting a team that has generally been horrible, now that they’re actually GOOD, I will be DAMNED if I will let the NFL dictate that I actually log in to paramount.tv!!!

The time has come to take a stand!!!

For what, you ask?  

I don’t f*cking know.

BUT THIS IS THE TIME!!

P.S. - I’ll be watching the game at home if you want to pop over.”

A lot of folks are crapping on OP - and while I get that the particulars for OP are sketchy I'm sympatico to the over-arching point. Does anyone who isn't watching their favorite team on an illegal stream actually support the current trend? If so, why? 

Just in case the OP doesn’t sort out his viewing of the game , at least he has the option that he can always follow the game day thread right here for a calm discussion of what is unfolding ….particularly if the Bills get off to a slow start and McD starts calling a few unnecessary time outs and challenges …

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Even gotten free trials of fubo, downloaded apps, got up at absurd times to see London games, etc.

But this game isn't on LOCAL ROCHESTER MARKET because piddly little peacock is trying a money grab. 

All the other "exclusives" had free trials, were simulcast on a real network, or even in the case of prime- everyone already has it. But peacock, tiny little bullschitt peacock with nothing worthwhile to offer? The NFL not only isn't afraid, they actively don't like us.

So I can't. I just can't. Sure, I could afford the subscription; but I can't positively reinforce negative behavior by the NFL trying yet another way into fans' pockets. 

They will take our tax money to build the brand new stadium for a billionaire, but we can't even watch the effing game. Pathetic.

Waaaaaaah

you can find deals on most of these subscriptions. I pay 2 dollars a month for it and if I watch one movie once every couple of months that’s easily worth it.

I get not wanting to have all these apps but find the deal sign up and it’s not that bad

or for this scenario 6 dollars to watch the bills play and it probably covers playoffs that seems worth it and fair 

what isn’t fair is people charging 1-2 dollars to add cheese or dripping sauce 😂

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

A lot of folks are crapping on OP - and while I get that the particulars for OP are sketchy I'm sympatico to the over-arching point. Does anyone who isn't watching their favorite team on an illegal stream actually support the current trend? If so, why? 

I doubt anyone likes it. 

During the drought, I spent most Sundays belly up to a bar so I could watch the Bills. I’m in Jets/Giants territory. 

As much as I disliked it … I got it. 

I haven’t had to go to a bar in years now that the Bills are good and the NJ teams are trash. 

Ots just the way the cookie crumbles. This is nothing new. 

I probably averaged $40 every time I went out to see a Bills game. 

Im gonna pay $5.99 to watch them on Saturday. 

I think it’s all about perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

So - you could watch the game very easily if you wanted to, but won't?

How much would it cost?

Us old schoolers missed a ton of games in the 80's and 90's (and before) due to local blackouts. About once every year or two, a large corporation like Bells or Tops bought out the remaining tickets on Wednesday or Thursday so we could watch the game on TV (usually NBC). But the primary alternative for most was Van Miller's call on the radio.

Ahhh...the (not so) good ole' days.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2

NBC/Peacock bid for the right to televise games.  They won and that is the market.  There are solutions handy besides complaining.  Living in Indiana now, I had to pay for all the Bills games until they got hot and are on national TV.  It is a minor inconvenience. 

Here’s a thought: Go outside. Take a walk. Visit a museum. Call an old friend. Volunteer. Help a stranger. Daydream. 

#1 - Perspective. It’s a football game. I love the Bills, too, but there’s more to life. Don’t let missing a sporty ball game ruin your week. 

#2 - This feels like an easy fix. Spend a few bucks. If the game is available on Peacock, pay $6. If you can watch a game every Sunday for decades, you can afford $6. If it’s not available because of some weird TV issue, drive somewhere it IS available. A bar. Another city. Whatever. If you care that much (and again…perspective), then prove it and drive three hours to watch it in another market. Don’t rant about the lengths to which you’ve gone to keep the streak alive and then tell me you can’t make a road trip with a buddy. 

#3 - Rage against a different machine. The world is full of problems in need of fixing and people who are hurting. You wanna stand for something? Stand your ground on something that matters. Help make the world a better place. If your moral line in the sand is “The NFL and the cable company screwed me out of my god-given right to free sports,” you’re not holding a moral compass…you’re just throwing a tantrum. You wanna fight for the little guy? Fight for the guy who doesn’t complain about apps because a phone is a luxury he can’t afford. Fight for the guy who wakes up at 4am to take the crosstown bus to work so he can give his kids a better life, not the guy who wakes up at 4am to watch a football game. Fight for someone who’s medicine is too expensive, no someone who’s entertainment is too expensive.

Don’t worry: If you miss the game, we’ll have another one next week. I’ve talked to the league about this and they’ve assured me we’ll have at least one more chance to see the Bills play this year. 

Edited by WickedGame
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I guess I'm impressed with the run- and then to think it just end over $5.99- like there wasn't a funeral or a party you had to go to for a really long time? Good job

21 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

So you got to see all the black out games over the years? When we didn't sell out

21 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I own a Bills Backer bar.

That's not the point.

They don't though. They did up until a couple weeks ago, but not now. They made the cutoff significantly before this game on purpose to stop people from being able to watch for free.

But I pay taxes that are being taken to build the stadium.

I hear there is a place on Facebook 😎

8 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Well that’s corrupted or crony capitalism. That’s what happens when governments/politicians interfere with the capitalist market, protecting existing entities, creating regulations to block new entities from entering and competing with the market, denying people in the market with free choice. 

Its only in these corrupted capitalist systems (ironically created by people who don’t believe in capitalism in the first place) where monopolies that punish their customers can survive. 

But that’s just the basics that everyone knows so I’m sure I’m not teaching you anything. 

Again, For those in the back:

Capitalism in it’s text book form does not exist.

The forms it does exist in, including the American Version are corrupted by the power that wealth it eventually endows the holder with.

Everyone wants to blame the politicians solely. Clearly they are( mostly) feckless little tw@ts who enrich themselves while making short term, empty promises. However, the non politicians with the money are the ones driving the system. Pick your person or conglomerate , Bezos, Musk, OPEC, The big banks….. The NFL 

But, I assume you knew that😉

okay, just wanted to quickly point out something

(1) apparently peacock has a wild card game this year.  i didn't even realize that until reading this thread.

(2) lots of people are recommending to buy peacock for the Bills game and then cancel right afterwards.

if you buy peacock today, your month subscription would cover the wild-card game (which very well may involve the Bills).  wild card weekend is Jan 13-15.

i'd illegally stream both, but if you're going to buy peacock, then NO, don't cancel it right after Saturday.

Edited by harryS

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

okay, just wanted to quickly point out something

(1) apparently peacock has a wild card game this year.  i didn't even realize that until reading this thread.

(2) lots of people are recommending to buy peacock for the Bills game and then cancel right afterwards.

if you buy peacock today, your month subscription would cover the wild-card game (which very well may involve the Bills).  wild card weekend is Jan 13-15.

i'd illegally stream both, but if you're going to buy peacock, then NO, don't cancel it right after Saturday.

Thank you, Harry.  Do you need to buy premium plus ($11.99) to get the game or will the base subscription ($5.99) cover it?

23 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Go out to a local watering hole man …. Have an adult beverage, bond with like minded fans … enjoy life my friend 

8 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Go out to a local watering hole man …. Have an adult beverage, bond with like minded fans … enjoy life my friend 

personally, I don’t mind paying (I do, but whatever) either for an antenna (lost my last one) or for peacock premium plus (briefly).

I have a young child, though, and I really don’t want to drag her out to a bar at close to her beer time to watch her Bills.

It is so confusing to figure out what channel the game is on.

It’s a good thing we love the Bills and football, because if same TV shows were on 10

different channels- no one would watch.

Try living in Massachusetts and trying to find the Sabres game.  

Thankfully we have the internet.  Power to the people 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

personally, I don’t mind paying (I do, but whatever) either for an antenna (lost my last one) or for peacock premium plus (briefly).

I have a young child, though, and I really don’t want to drag her out to a bar at close to her beer time to watch her Bills.

If it’s close to her BEER time, then it’s perfect! 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The forms it does exist in, including the American Version are corrupted by the power that wealth it eventually endows the holder with.

Everyone wants to blame the politicians solely. Clearly they are( mostly) feckless little tw@ts who enrich themselves while making short term, empty promises. However, the non politicians with the money are the ones driving the system. Pick your person or conglomerate , Bezos, Musk, OPEC, The big banks….. The NFL 

I don't blame the NFL at all. In 10 years my bet is the only way to watch games will be streaming. It's already starting with the Thursday game. Just think you will eventually have to subscribe to Peacock, Amazon and ESPN+ to watch any football. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Mango said:

What is the proper internet message board response for a guy who threatens to miss his first Bills game since before the drought because he won’t pay $6 for a subscription, only to have it turn out that he likely has not 1 but 2 subscriptions for the product. A product that by the way, he’ll likely be showing for a profit at not one, but two different bar/restaurants.

And what I’m really curious about now is, does this guy have a Peacock Sports Pass (for business) or is he just using the standard consumer version?Based on a total lack of self awareness I’d be willing to put a good amount of cash on he’s using a single consumer license at both establishments. 

When you lay it all out it’s hard to believe that this is even true. I’m not sure this guys even a real person. 

Maybe ignore it? As a fellow Bills fan who has already said that he agrees that it's a racket, why lead the charge to 18 pages of dumping on the guy? Seems like a crappy way to treat one of our own,  no?

Edited by Tenhigh

7 hours ago, stinky finger said:

So - you could watch the game very easily if you wanted to, but won't?

How much would it cost?

It won't cost him anything it turns out.  He owns a Bills Backers bar that has a Peacock subscription, but he refuses to watch the game.  

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I doubt anyone likes it. 

During the drought, I spent most Sundays belly up to a bar so I could watch the Bills. I’m in Jets/Giants territory. 

As much as I disliked it … I got it. 

I haven’t had to go to a bar in years now that the Bills are good and the NJ teams are trash. 

Ots just the way the cookie crumbles. This is nothing new. 

I probably averaged $40 every time I went out to see a Bills game. 

Im gonna pay $5.99 to watch them on Saturday. 

I think it’s all about perspective.

Yeah, I get it too. It's our choice whether to plunk down the $5.99 for the game on Saturday. I live in Jets/Giants territory too and my choice during the drought was to not see the games - because I wasn't going to a bar at 1 PM on a Sunday and I wasn't going to pay for the Sunday ticket. Looking back it probably saved me a lot of misery, lol.

I'm just getting fatigued  having to figure out if I have access to a game and on which service. And it's not just football. Last night I was expecting to watch the Islanders until I hunted around and found that I didn't have access. I've also watched some pretty crappy broadcasts - last year the video quality on Amazon was pretty bad and the Apple TV baseball broadcasts teams have been God awful.

48 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Well…it seems like I can get it.  I may have to test it out first with the early game, but it allowed the search and it allowed me to save the game to my stuff.

i signed on last night after i learned we had it free with instacart.  it certainly seems like you can watch it on the basic package as i saved it like you did. i clicked on a movie to see the picture quality, and i had to sit through 160 seconds of commercials.  once that was over the movie started and i didn't see any more interruptions after about 30-45 mins of watching.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Isn’t that latter part capitalism? 

1 minute ago, teef said:

i signed on last night after i learned we had it free with instacart.  it certainly seems like you can watch it on the basic package as i saved it like you did. i clicked on a movie to see the picture quality, and i had to sit through 160 seconds of commercials.  once that was over the movie started and i didn't see any more interruptions after about 30-45 mins of watching.

Hallmark Christmas movie? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.