So are we just done expecting Von Miller to do anything?

dayman

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I was giving Von until after the bye to really judge him, he tore his ACL just over a year ago at Thanksgiving. It's kind of shocking he was able to be activated after missing just the first four games. That being said we are now after the bye and while I think he showed some signs of life against KC my expectations of him this season are super low. It is possible by the playoffs he will look like a more serviceable player, against KC he at least showed something out there so there is some progress. 

Just overall I am not so sure he is going to be that much better than he currently is maybe next year they can get one more good season out of him. 

The trouble is, he's taking someone else potentially more effective off the field, say another pass-rusher or DB. If he can be handled by a single tackle on all but two of his snaps, that works a lot better for the other team than for the Bills. 

I realize the Bills are trying to strike a balance between getting him back into form and playing an ineffective player. Given their record since he's been playing, I'm not sure the investment has paid off. But if they make the playoffs, and Miller gets back even close to being the player he was, it probably will have been worth having him basically do his rehab on the field all this time. 

• Disagree 2

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is done but there were a couple of flashes on Sunday late in that game where he got pressures and it was the first game without the knee brace, so fingers crossed Beane's plan which was to slow play him and have him ready for the stretch run pays dividends. 

He looked phenomenal on the Chiefs’ final two possessions. As Bill Walsh said, what often separates winning from losing is the ability to get late 4th quarter pressure from the d-line. Miller, Oliver, and Floyd all made good pressure plays late.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dayman said:

Idk about the rest of you but it’s basically looking like he’s done. Obviously eating eat huge cap now and in the future, and no signs of ever being a difference maker.

He's a 34 year old coming off a 2nd ACL tear and it was only 12.5 months ago he was injured.

Hell need a little time.

Being the self-proclaimed resident Aggie fan on this board, I know Von and I know he's not slowing down, but ramping back up. He's a highly motivated, hungry, and determined dawg who will make an impact for us.

Cut him a little slack. The body doesn't heal quite as quickly as when he tore his ACL a decade ago.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dayman said:

Idk about the rest of you but it’s basically looking like he’s done. Obviously eating eat huge cap now and in the future, and no signs of ever being a difference maker.

After KC game and no brace anymore, I feel like he's close to being all the way back. Guessing Buf was waiting til bye week to take off brace. But Von had a few nice pressures finally Feeling optimistic about him

2 hours ago, BRH said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's had this game circled for awhile.  Dallas?  Heir apparent in Parsons on the other sideline?  If he has anything left I expect him to bring it all this weekend.

Im not getting the whole Dallas Parsons thing?

11 hours ago, dayman said:

Not sure what game you watched against the Chiefs.  Must not have been paying attention.

File this under "I am going to look pretty dumb in about 4 weeks"

Not sure how you just watched Tre come back from the same injury and saw how long it took him to look right(pretty much up until the end of last season and into this year) and expect that it some how should be different with Von's injury. Or literally hundreds of other players who have had the same injury.  This is what happens and they have to play thru it until they get back to where they were pre-injury.  

Really tells you who actually watches football and who just casually observes it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

My expectations for Von are unfortunately low based upon the injury and what we are seeing on the field. While he looked “better” against KC at times remember he was going up against a backup rookie OT. 

Anything we get from Von down the stretch is an added bonus. I’m not sure what they do in the offseason but that contract vs impact is bad.

Almost all of Von's snaps come at LDE.  He again looked pretty ineffective but then they moved him to RDE and he was getting pressure.  I'm not sure if it better suits his injured leg coming off the right side or who was playing left tackle for the Chiefs but switching sides made a big difference.

6 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

My expectations for Von are unfortunately low based upon the injury and what we are seeing on the field. While he looked “better” against KC at times remember he was going up against a backup rookie OT. 

Anything we get from Von down the stretch is an added bonus. I’m not sure what they do in the offseason but that contract vs impact is bad.

I think you'll be changing your tune in about 4 weeks...it really is utterly amazing how common these injuries are, how frequently we see players take many weeks of playing to get things looking "right", and how we literally just watched the same process play out with Tre last year where he looked slow and terrible for week after week until he suddenly just didn't...and yet people still think it will be like Madden and when the player comes back from injury he will be 100% instantly.

I mean how do people not understand what the process is and how long these take to actually come back and look right is by now?  It's only been a few decades of watching the same thing over and over again.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RiotAct said:

He showed signs of improvement in the Chiefs game.  Collapsed the pocket decently on at least a few of his snaps.

Agreed. He is not confident coming around the edge yet, but he was using the bull rush more effectively in this game than I have seen all season.  He is getting closer to making an impact.  

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think you'll be changing your tune in about 4 weeks...it really is utterly amazing how common these injuries are, how frequently we see players take many weeks of playing to get things looking "right", and how we literally just watched the same process play out with Tre last year where he looked slow and terrible for week after week until he suddenly just didn't...and yet people still think it will be like Madden and when the player comes back from injury he will be 100% instantly.

I mean how do people not understand what the process is and how long these take to actually come back and look right is by now?  It's only been a few decades of watching the same thing over and over again.

I truly hope that is the case. 

People expected too much from him too early. He got rushed back into service because we were desperate for bodies on the DL. In all honesty I didn't expect Von to be back till late November, I was shocked he was activated as early as he was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Im not getting the whole Dallas Parsons thing?

He's from Dallas.  Parsons is who he was years ago, the acknowledged best DE/LB pass rusher in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had some extra motivation to show out for that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Miller is playing better.  It's Rousseau who's gone radio silent.  Almost never hear his name called.  I think the Bills are playing Rousseau more on the interior which shows the team's need at DT now that Jones is out and Settle and Ford aren't doing much, and Joseph has also evaporated after an encouraging start.  Anyway this might explain why we don't hear about Rousseau.  But we need AJE and Miller back, badly.

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Miller is playing better.  It's Rousseau who's gone radio silent.  Almost never hear his name called.  I think the Bills are playing Rousseau more on the interior which shows the team's need at DT now that Jones is out and Settle and Ford aren't doing much, and Joseph has also evaporated after an encouraging start.  Anyway this might explain why we don't hear about Rousseau.  But we need AJE and Miller back, badly.

He had some nice man to man coverage on a wheel route in one play this past week! Would sure be nice to see some more pressure though.

• Like (+1) 1

Geez, when Tre returned from an ACL  injury & a year off, people gave him the benefit of the doubt and all the time in the world. 

But when Von comes back an ACL injury at an even older age (and with less recovery time), it's all "get him out of here, he's washed up!"

How about letting the 1st ballot HOFer continue to build up game strength & conditioning, and hope he'll be at his peak right in time for a playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Geez, when Tre returned from an ACL  injury & a year off, people gave him the benefit of the doubt and all the time in the world. 

But when Von comes back an ACL injury at an even older age (and with less recovery time), it's all "get him out of here, he's washed up!"

How about letting the 1st ballot HOFer continue to build up game strength & conditioning, and hope he'll be at his peak right in time for a playoff run.

Because it's been frustrating to watch him play patty cake out there for half the season?

Until last week, the Bills have been rushing the passer with 3 and covering with 7.

28 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Yeah Groot has been a big disappointment. Some fans will keep using the injury excuse with him, but reality is he's just not very good outside of his run defense and ironically he's pretty much following Shaq Lawson's career trajectory in terms of a guy projected to be a pass rusher but ends up excelling in run support.

As for Miller, still think any chance this team has of making the playoffs and going on a run is having him making an impact and at least he showed flashes of that on Sunday against the Chiefs.

13 hours ago, dayman said:

I gather you didn't watch the Chiefs' game.  There were plenty of signs of his being a difference maker. 

I don't get why people hear things but ignore them.  Like, for example, the dozens, literally dozens of times fans have been told that full recovery from an ACL typically takes more than a year.  Last year at this time White was just getting back on the field.  

Miller was activated when he was because he was medically fit to play and was not at risk if he played, but it was and is a known fact that being medically fit to play comes months before being fully recovered.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Tre didn't want to be out there unless he was 100%, even if he could still help the team at a lesser percentage.  I understand that because a CB1 is on the field 100% of the time.

With a rotational DE, you're more able to pick spots in which he can ramp up without necessarily hurting the team.  My issue is that he's been on the field in the wrong situations too often, which has led to the "he's washed up" complaints.

Are we still #3 in the league in sacks? I don’t think this is the problem people are trying to create. Von is at least willing to be back on the field without coaxing, so he’s ahead of where Tre was at this point in the recovery. He was very productive before then injury just over 12 months ago. I expect him to sharpen his game as we move forward, and pray he gets a chance to play and shine in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Are we still #3 in the league in sacks? I don’t think this is the problem people are trying to create. Von is at least willing to be back on the field without coaxing, so he’s ahead of where Tre was at this point in the recovery. He was very productive before then injury just over 12 months ago. I expect him to sharpen his game as we move forward, and pray he gets a chance to play and shine in the playoffs. 

Yes.  I was really excited to see what he did Sunday.    Three weeks ago, he looked like he was going through the motions.   Fourth quarter on Sunday, he was competing, he had a bull rush, he had his classic bend.   None of it was as good as we saw last season, but the fact that in three weeks he went from not being able to do any of that to actually having an impact in the pocket was very, very encouraging.  I think his first post-injury sack is coming very soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dayman said:

When will Groot Show up?   Was hoping he would be our version of Chris Jones...   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.