It’s Chiefs week - and the season is on the line

Einstein

5 minutes ago, Realist said:

It's going to need to be up by two scores with 2:00 left in the game. 5 minutes is too much time.

You might right. The other night I watched my Islanders blow a 4-1 lead over the Sharks with 8:30 left in the 3rd period to lose 5-4 in OT. I don't want to have to go through that again with the Bills this weekend.

52 minutes ago, Gregg said:

All I know is I want the Bills to have a two-score when there are 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. If they have a one-score lead, or tied, or losing then I have no confidence in them getting to 7-6. A two-score lead late in the 4th quarter please. My nerves can't take any more of these nailbiters especially since the Bills are losing most of them.

It will be interesting if that's the case. Mahomes hasn't led a fourth quarter comeback with this offense all year. He's had 3 different opportunities to kill teams in the fourth quarter (Lions, Eagles and Packers) and he hasn't been able to get it done because of offensive mistakes. It's been a weird year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some thoughts about the game -

First let me say, I don't feel good about this game at all.  I think the Bills are a very good team that has just had a combination of the worst luck, some very untimely bad coaching decisions, and some untimely mistakes.  All teams have these, but it's just amazing to me how these things have hit the Bills in games this year, at just the most inopertune times, over and over again.  A random spread of bad things happening, and you guys are probalby a 9 win team right now and looking to take the 1 seed.  

With the scenario having played out the way it is though, it would really help the Chiefs overall playoff chances to knock out a dangerous threat now, while you can.  A Bills loss would be ALMOST the nail in the coffin for the playoffs.  I'd really prefer KC to drive that nail home while we can.

That said...KC has some problems.  The biggest one is that this group of recievers have struggled all season to run the Andy Ried offense.  Specifially, Ried asks the recievers to adjust to what the defense does within the route they are running.  The idea is to identify and then run to empty space.  Kelce has been very good at this his whole career.  The rest of these guys not so much.  I've watched a ton of all 22.  Here is a short summary of each WR.

MVS - often sent deep, and when he gets deep it's clockwork that the won't run AWAY from the deep safety...ALWAYS turns toward that safety, and so when Mahomes throws that way, either he misses completely because he expected MVS to run AWAY from the safety, OR since MVS has run back toward coverage, you have a contested throw.  And in the very rare instance MVS gets it right, there is a good chance he'll drop the ball.  He is useless being used this way, and this is the only way they use him.  More on that later.

Skyy Moore - I thought he was worthless before the draft (I have tweets proving as much)  and haven't seen anything in 2 years to change my mind.  I've never seen a dude so lost when it comes to route running.  He makes up for it by being short and unable to jump, unable to separate, and he's not fast enough to run away from anyone either.  A Complete waste of a roster spot who keeps getting snaps.

Justin Watson - People forget he got into Tom Brady's dog house in Tampa and never got out...for done the same crap he does in KC.  Also not a master of reading the D to find open space.  Too often run TO the coverage and not away from it.  Drops too many passes to make up for it.  Not fast enough to run away from anyone.  NOT CLUTCH.  a below average WR whose box score stats look ok because of his inexplicably high target share.

Rashee Rice -  The only guy with real promise...and while he's not been great either at the idea of running away from coverage, he's a rookie and you can at least say it takes time to learn that skill in this offense.  In the mean time, while he has suffered some drops, he has been very effective on slants and crossers.  He brings something of value to the table and is getting better each game.  Wish they would up the snap count.  He's by far the most effective WR they have.

Richie James - Injured most of the year, now back...I'd like to see more of him and more snaps...dude seems to be able to get open if nothing else.

Kadarius Toney - They don't seem to trust him much...but when he is out there AND he's not hurt..he's got electric moves and has had some big plays running slants and crossers....I assume they don't trust his routerunning to do more than that a few snaps a game, but at this point, I'd have him out there way more.  

Ok...so when you read that, you should know that the offense has been MOSTLY what it was last year, the difference being that this group as a whole are drive killers.  They don't perform / execute and this more than any other problem, is why KC has consistently been down in scoring.  Also, I am not telling you that they are about to figure it out and bust out with some 35 point games.  They'd have done it by now.  They are who they are at this point.  A team with WR's who are LIMITED.  They can squeeze a little more out by giving some higher snap counts to Rice and running more stuff that this group CAN do which isn't much, but more short slants, crossers, quick outs, WR screens.  Asking these guys to go out and find a hole in the zone 15 yards downfield is too much to ask these guys to do on a reguarl basis.  In games where they at least catch the balls that come their way, KC can still put up some points, (Riaders, Chargers games) Bad Routes, drops and penalties ALL in the same game and they can't overcome it.  

KC runs the ball OK.  Not great, not terrible.  Some small part of the problem is the poor passing game.  PA doesn't affect LB's VS KC....teams don't respect that PA pass when KC runs it.  KC is frustratingly bad against light boxes..and again from watching alot of all 22...their run play designs call for interior linemen to always double up down linemen...even if there are only 2 of them...the line too often doens't just man up the guys in front of them allowing for the free G/C/T to go find a LB to block.  On plays where they do get the linemen upfield to the next level to block, the run plays are way more successful.  Frustrtating that by design, they don't do this more often.  I will say, Kc's line does a poor job of keeping dudes blocked and often a lineman / LB is able to get off the block and make the play on what often looks like a play with a good hole and space to run.  Too eays to come of the blocker and make the tackle.

For KC to put up some points, they will need to CATCH everything that comes their way and being on the same page as Mahomes by running the right route goes a long way toward that.

Also, it's clear at this point, Pat doens't trust his WR's (for good reason) and will hold off a 3 or 4 throws a game that look open....he just doesn't trust it...and he ends up checking down, running or getting sacked.  Not the same as in the past.

On Defense...for several games, KC had been starting 2nd string MLB Drew Tranquill.  he's been decent...he got hurt VS packers and KC was down to 3rd stringer Jack Cochrane....calling signals.  KC got misaligned a few times.  I believe Bolton will be back...should help that alot.  Kc will be without Bryan Cook...one of the starting Safeties..but Marc Edwards is a capable replacment.  

If the Bills can just keep the pressure off of Allen and limit Turnovers...it could be a long day for KC...and if you can get the run game rolling, even bigger bonus.  

All in all....I don't see KC winning this game.  The Bills backs are up agains the wall.  They are a better team than their record indicates and KC is limited/flawed making this a tough tough matchup for us (Chiefs)  

I don't forsee KC WR/offense doing anything out of the realm of what they've done all season.  Bills 27, KC 20

56 minutes ago, Ryan Simpsons said:

bills will be in with a browns, bronocs loss and a buffalo win i heard

This is entirely incorrect.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Ryan Simpsons said:

bills will be in with a browns, bronocs loss and a buffalo win i heard

28 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

heard this from where?

Doesn't seem like it.

Using this: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I can't get the Bills into a spot after just this weeks results. With a win this week regardless of who I choose for the results of the rest of the games for week 14 they don't move into the top 7.

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Some thoughts about the game -

First let me say, I don't feel good about this game at all.  I think the Bills are a very good team that has just had a combination of the worst luck, some very untimely bad coaching decisions, and some untimely mistakes.  All teams have these, but it's just amazing to me how these things have hit the Bills in games this year, at just the most inopertune times, over and over again.  A random spread of bad things happening, and you guys are probalby a 9 win team right now and looking to take the 1 seed.  

With the scenario having played out the way it is though, it would really help the Chiefs overall playoff chances to knock out a dangerous threat now, while you can.  A Bills loss would be ALMOST the nail in the coffin for the playoffs.  I'd really prefer KC to drive that nail home while we can.

That said...KC has some problems.  The biggest one is that this group of recievers have struggled all season to run the Andy Ried offense.  Specifially, Ried asks the recievers to adjust to what the defense does within the route they are running.  The idea is to identify and then run to empty space.  Kelce has been very good at this his whole career.  The rest of these guys not so much.  I've watched a ton of all 22.  Here is a short summary of each WR.

MVS - often sent deep, and when he gets deep it's clockwork that the won't run AWAY from the deep safety...ALWAYS turns toward that safety, and so when Mahomes throws that way, either he misses completely because he expected MVS to run AWAY from the safety, OR since MVS has run back toward coverage, you have a contested throw.  And in the very rare instance MVS gets it right, there is a good chance he'll drop the ball.  He is useless being used this way, and this is the only way they use him.  More on that later.

Skyy Moore - I thought he was worthless before the draft (I have tweets proving as much)  and haven't seen anything in 2 years to change my mind.  I've never seen a dude so lost when it comes to route running.  He makes up for it by being short and unable to jump, unable to separate, and he's not fast enough to run away from anyone either.  A Complete waste of a roster spot who keeps getting snaps.

Justin Watson - People forget he got into Tom Brady's dog house in Tampa and never got out...for done the same crap he does in KC.  Also not a master of reading the D to find open space.  Too often run TO the coverage and not away from it.  Drops too many passes to make up for it.  Not fast enough to run away from anyone.  NOT CLUTCH.  a below average WR whose box score stats look ok because of his inexplicably high target share.

Rashee Rice -  The only guy with real promise...and while he's not been great either at the idea of running away from coverage, he's a rookie and you can at least say it takes time to learn that skill in this offense.  In the mean time, while he has suffered some drops, he has been very effective on slants and crossers.  He brings something of value to the table and is getting better each game.  Wish they would up the snap count.  He's by far the most effective WR they have.

Richie James - Injured most of the year, now back...I'd like to see more of him and more snaps...dude seems to be able to get open if nothing else.

Kadarius Toney - They don't seem to trust him much...but when he is out there AND he's not hurt..he's got electric moves and has had some big plays running slants and crossers....I assume they don't trust his routerunning to do more than that a few snaps a game, but at this point, I'd have him out there way more.  

Ok...so when you read that, you should know that the offense has been MOSTLY what it was last year, the difference being that this group as a whole are drive killers.  They don't perform / execute and this more than any other problem, is why KC has consistently been down in scoring.  Also, I am not telling you that they are about to figure it out and bust out with some 35 point games.  They'd have done it by now.  They are who they are at this point.  A team with WR's who are LIMITED.  They can squeeze a little more out by giving some higher snap counts to Rice and running more stuff that this group CAN do which isn't much, but more short slants, crossers, quick outs, WR screens.  Asking these guys to go out and find a hole in the zone 15 yards downfield is too much to ask these guys to do on a reguarl basis.  In games where they at least catch the balls that come their way, KC can still put up some points, (Riaders, Chargers games) Bad Routes, drops and penalties ALL in the same game and they can't overcome it.  

KC runs the ball OK.  Not great, not terrible.  Some small part of the problem is the poor passing game.  PA doesn't affect LB's VS KC....teams don't respect that PA pass when KC runs it.  KC is frustratingly bad against light boxes..and again from watching alot of all 22...their run play designs call for interior linemen to always double up down linemen...even if there are only 2 of them...the line too often doens't just man up the guys in front of them allowing for the free G/C/T to go find a LB to block.  On plays where they do get the linemen upfield to the next level to block, the run plays are way more successful.  Frustrtating that by design, they don't do this more often.  I will say, Kc's line does a poor job of keeping dudes blocked and often a lineman / LB is able to get off the block and make the play on what often looks like a play with a good hole and space to run.  Too eays to come of the blocker and make the tackle.

For KC to put up some points, they will need to CATCH everything that comes their way and being on the same page as Mahomes by running the right route goes a long way toward that.

Also, it's clear at this point, Pat doens't trust his WR's (for good reason) and will hold off a 3 or 4 throws a game that look open....he just doesn't trust it...and he ends up checking down, running or getting sacked.  Not the same as in the past.

On Defense...for several games, KC had been starting 2nd string MLB Drew Tranquill.  he's been decent...he got hurt VS packers and KC was down to 3rd stringer Jack Cochrane....calling signals.  KC got misaligned a few times.  I believe Bolton will be back...should help that alot.  Kc will be without Bryan Cook...one of the starting Safeties..but Marc Edwards is a capable replacment.  

If the Bills can just keep the pressure off of Allen and limit Turnovers...it could be a long day for KC...and if you can get the run game rolling, even bigger bonus.  

All in all....I don't see KC winning this game.  The Bills backs are up agains the wall.  They are a better team than their record indicates and KC is limited/flawed making this a tough tough matchup for us (Chiefs)  

I don't forsee KC WR/offense doing anything out of the realm of what they've done all season.  Bills 27, KC 20

This is entirely incorrect.

Still giving me 2.5 or what

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Doesn't seem like it.

Using this: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I can't get the Bills into a spot after just this weeks results. With a win this week regardless of who I choose for the results of the rest of the games for week 14 they don't move into the top 7.

He heard it in High Level Meetings?

33 minutes ago, Kellyhero68 said:

Bills 27 to 17. Dominate the time of possession as Fournette plows through the Chiefs setting up play action bombs to Diggs. 

cook and johnson have been playing very well but now fournette is going to do something those two havent?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

22 hours ago, boilertiger said:

A lot of Chiefs fans online are crazy, but I do not think we are nearly as unhinged as the Bengal fanbase

Good on 'ya for soundness expressed here.

Riddle me this: just checked out ChiefsPlanet, expecting the usual absurdities.

But, the Bills thread is generally, almost, damn near, pretty much...sane.

Wtf is going on over there, and where have you hidden the real Chiefs fans??

[same comment and question to you @Zerovoltz]

Edited by Dukestreetking

A person on my work team lives in KC and is a huge Chiefs fan.  He's been telling me this week that Chiefs fans are worried about this game for 2 reasons:

• The Chiefs receivers have a bad case of stone hands and are dropping everything. 
  • They feel this is the game where the Bills look like a good team again, impress everyone with a win ... then lose out the remainder of the season.

I hope its true for this week, we can deal with the rest of the season after Sunday :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.