Nothing Is Over!

theRalph

This loss...is being compared to 13 seconds in some of the McDermott criticism. It's appropriate, as the devastating loss to the Eagles felt like a playoff disaster—maybe even a Super Bowl. Comparing this game to 13 seconds is also spot-on when talking about wasting another amazing performance by Josh Allen.

But that's where the comparison ends. Because unlike 13 seconds, this season is not over. And where the Bills of 13 seconds had to clean out lockers the following day, these Bills get to start—not end—their playoff run starting at KC...with an extra week of rest and preparation. The Eagles are amazing. So are the Bills. They played an instant classic and, with what the Bills are discovering on offense with JB, they might have a rematch on a neutral field. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, theRalph said:

But that's where the comparison ends. Because unlike 13 seconds, this season is not over. And where the Bills of 13 seconds had to clean out lockers the following day, these Bills get to start—not end—their playoff run starting at KC...with an extra week of rest and preparation. The Eagles are amazing. So are the Bills. They played an instant classic and, with what the Bills are discovering on offense with JB, they might have a rematch on a neutral field. 

lol what on earth do you imagine McD will come up with in another week of prep?  Come on folks, no bad ideas when we're brainstorming

• playing Von for more downs? 
  • 20 carries for murray? 
  • 1st quarter time outs to give the guys a break?
  • punt on 3rd down?
  • Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, theRalph said:

This loss...is being compared to 13 seconds in some of the McDermott criticism. It's appropriate, as the devastating loss to the Eagles felt like a playoff disaster—maybe even a Super Bowl. Comparing this game to 13 seconds is also spot-on when talking about wasting another amazing performance by Josh Allen.

Mathematically, you are correct. Nothing is "over" and anything can happen. Realistically, though there are a lot of factors that have to go juuuuuust right at this point. 

Sure would be nice to win one of these "instant classic" games though, right?

• Like (+1) 1

People give up so easily. The team and players are still fighting hard, thankfully.

The odds are damn slim now, but not impossible. IDK if 10-7 will cut it, but I admit 11-6 seems like a looooooong shot.

So far, they've been unlucky except the Gioants game. Who knows. Many teams, including the Bills, have had long W streaks to enter the playoffs in recent years. Odds are slim, but of course they can do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

It seems similar to the TB game in 2021 where we lost the game in OT and caught our groove winning the last 4. Hopefully that’s the case this year but there is no margin for error. 

Only thing is after that TB loss, we played 4 terrible teams to close out the season. All were fighting for a top 10 draft slot.

This year we have to face the SB championships, a top NFC team, the highest scoring team in the NFL, etc.

Tougher uphill road this time.

What would you rather have at this point?

Option 1) The Bills win 4 out of the next 5 games and sneak into the playoffs. They have to play the #2 seed on the road and lose. McDermott gets to say he gutted out a tough season with many injuries and he survives another year. The Bills hold the 20th-24th pick in the draft.

Option 2) The Bills lose 2+ games and miss the playoffs. The season is a failure and McDermott is fired. The Bills hold the 15th-20th pick in the draft.

Many of us would choose option 2 simply because we can't imagine a scenario where McDermott's team not only guts out 4-5 more wins in a row, but then goes on the road for the entirety of the playoffs, then Super Bowl and wins it all.

• Disagree 3

1 hour ago, EffKCChiefs said:

It seems similar to the TB game in 2021 where we lost the game in OT and caught our groove winning the last 4. Hopefully that’s the case this year but there is no margin for error. 

Yeah it feels similar but the remaining schedule this year vs. 2021 is a lot different.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor…, 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

That loss hurts bad, but going into the week with 6 to go, we thought 5 wins... in, 4 wins... likely in.

If we HAD to lose 1 (or 2), better to lose to the NFC teams. 

We need to win the remaining AFC games (KC, LAC, NE, MIA) and hope the conference record (7-5) beats the likes of Cle, Pit, Hou, Ind.

Beating Dallas would be welcome gravy on top of those 4 wins.

We lose in two weeks to KC, then I'm ready to officially throw in the towel.

If they play against the next five opponents like they did against the eagles, you know, the best team in the league, then I can see them winning out. The chiefs are not the chiefs of old. Dallas? We’ll be home and I think we are a better team than they are. Then the pats and the chargers who are not very good should be a win. Then close out against the dolphins, which might be for the division lead. 
I don’t get all this talk about the season being over. Ask the players if they think the season is over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills outplayed the beat team in the league right now. Anything can happen, except they can’t leave points off the board and can’t rely on the defense to hold off their opponents during one score games. Offense has to win the next 5 with a flood of TDs. 

But I’ll be taking the Chiefs on the moneyline just to be safe. 

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Barring a mahomes injury, i have no reason to believe the Bills aren't run out of that building.

Chiefs seem to be as beatable as they have been over the past 5-6 years. The Bills will be up for that game and usually play well after the bye. 

The Eagles are the best team in the league and the Bills out played them the majority of the game in their house. Joe Brady has unlocked the Josh Allen of old and he’s playing great ball right now. I’m pissed we waited so long to fire Dorsey because we wouldn’t even be in this position. If we go 4-1 down the stretch I believe we get in. The bye week comes at a perfect time right before we play KC who isn’t playing all that great right now. McDermott is great coming off a bye. If we can steal that game in KC. We can be on our way to helluva run to close the year. It’s not over yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Barring a mahomes injury, i have no reason to believe the Bills aren't run out of that building.

It depends on how much their much-improved defense can limit our offense.   This is the first time Allen faces a KC defense that is actually good.

Because we can't depend on our defense to stop Mahomes, especially at the end of the game, if it comes to that (again).

Last year, this was the Von Miller game, to me.  He had 2 sacks and the pressure on Mahomes that caused the game-winning turnover for Bills.  

It's a shame we don't have that anymore.  Who is going to step up in Von's place?  

26 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

It depends on how much their much-improved defense can limit our offense.   This is the first time Allen faces a KC defense that is actually good.

Because we can't depend on our defense to stop Mahomes, especially at the end of the game, if it comes to that (again).

Last year, this was the Von Miller game, to me.  He had 2 sacks and the pressure on Mahomes that caused the game-winning turnover for Bills.  

It's a shame we don't have that anymore.  Who is going to step up in Von's place?  

While Mahomes is a tad down statistically, in truth the only thing stopping Mahomes is his WR cast. Just like it appears the only thing stopping JA was Dorsey.

KC is a tad vulnerable this year. 

4 hours ago, EffKCChiefs said:

Defiantly parallels to that game but McDermott still hasn't learned his lesson with these damn timeouts he calls at the end of the game that always backfire.

I mean I just can't....  

It may not be over but it is pretty close.  That being said, and in the spirit of keeping hope alive, there are reasons to be optimistic.  The way we have played, offensively, the past few weeks will give us a strong chance to beat anyone in the league.  We boat raced one of the best defenses in the league and then pushed the best team in the league to the limit, on the road, with numerous, somewhat fluky things working against us.

If we can come out of the bye and keep this level of offensive performance up, we have a decent shot of winning out. 

For the sake of the argument, we go into KC and win.  We have done that in the past against better KC teams than this year's.  Then we come home to play Dallas and win.  We have played well at home all year.  Now we are on a nice two game winning streak and the narrative starts to change.  We head out West and put the Chargers out of their misery.  Come home for the revenge game against, who-the-hell-knows at QB Patriots.  Josh beats Miami the way he usually does and we are the hottest team going into the playoffs that no one wants to play.

The eternal optimist that I am is trying to still see the light but it has dimmed significantly.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.