Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

Something was definitely up in that first half. Those calls weren’t just unfairly lopsided, they were blatantly bias toward the Eagles. 

At the same time…

No NFL official told Gabe Davis to run the wrong option on his route in overtime. That wasn’t a fix, unless you think David was in on it. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I am not going to answer your questions, because I would like for you to think for yourself. 

Here’s a better conspiracy for you.. 

How is it that a multi-billion dollar industry suffers from league wide poor officiating year after year, and yet do “nothing” about it? 

Why is it an automatic fine (and usually the most costly) when players and coaches speak out about the officiating? 

Why don’t the officials have to talk to the press after each game like the coaches and players? Surely the press would have some questions for them as well, since they largely impact the outcome of each game.. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve always said the officials should have to face the media like everyone else and explain why certain calls are made.

I don’t think anything can improve officiating. It’s a very difficult job and they will get it wrong at times. I think the key is to make certain penalties less impactful on the outcome of the game. Defensive fouls are way too impactful. 

54 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why would you need thousands of people to stay quiet? You would need the refs and maybe a couple people in the league office. The players and coaches get in trouble if they call out the refs at all. That’s a huge red flag. 

Why just a couple people? Refs are protected for this exact reason. They get death threats. Fans think they were paid off if they make a bad call.

One thing I’ve always wondered is why no one has created a PFF like site for officiating. Maybe I should, lol. It would get a lot of clicks.

6 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Remember the replacement refs in 2013 or whatever? Everyone made fun of those guys. Then when the union signed a deal I remember the first game where smug Steratore made the first call with the "real" refs back. He got a standing ovation. I puked in my mouth a bit at that moment. Those replacement refs would have been fine long term and drained the scum from the pond at the same time. Now Steratore is a schill for cbs and he still sickens me. Fixed or general incompetence, the NFL sees no reason to fix it or acknowledge it is a problem.

The replacement refs actually did a better job, it was obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

(Please don't merge this with the thread complaining about the Bills/Eagles officiating.  This is different, with wider scope, and not limited to the Bills.)

no it isn't.  this dumb conspiracy stuff gets posted all season long.

congratulations on skipping the "search" option...

5 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Something was definitely up in that first half. Those calls weren’t just unfairly lopsided, they were blatantly bias toward the Eagles. 

At the same time…

No NFL official told Gabe Davis to run the wrong option on his route in overtime. That wasn’t a fix, unless you think David was in on it. 🤷‍♂️

But then they made the biggest call of the game favor the Bills with the roughing call in OT that should’ve gave us the win.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why just a couple people? Refs are protected for this exact reason. They get death threats. Fans think they were paid off if they make a bad call.

One thing I’ve always wondered is why no one has created a PFF like site for officiating. Maybe I should, lol. It would get a lot of clicks.

Why just a couple people? If you’re trying to keep something quiet do you tell every single person you come across or do you tell the least amount as possible?  

Just now, phypon said:

Not sure why people say it can't be done.  It's happened in baseball and the NBA.  Of course it could happen in the NFL.

People don’t want to believe they’ve been tricked. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why just a couple people? If you’re trying to keep something quiet do you tell every single person you come across or do you tell the least amount as possible?  

People don’t want to believe they’ve been tricked. 

I just don’t know who is benefiting from rigging the game. Why would the owners agree to it? Why would they want the Eagles to win? 

The one thing about officiating I never understood is fans and media accept the calls that aren’t made a lot more than the calls that are made. Letting them play always wins over more flags. So why not just let them play?

I would love to know the entire process of grading officials and what punishment they receive from the NFL. I believe there’s internal grading that happens every game. But this is also secret. It seems like a lot of calls are very weak and could go either way. I understand protecting officials but I think it makes it worse. If somehow they could stop making those weak calls.

Marv Levy always had the best line. “Over-officious jerk!”

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If you really do think it is fixed,  why do you watch?

Same reason I watch the Royal Rumble or a television show, because it is something to do that I can talk about with friends. 

Do you not watch movies or tv shows? They also have predetermined outcomes. 

What a peculiar question. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

ESPN now has their own betting thing, right?

Any time money is involved, corruption will follow suit.

It was clear that Shawn Cockuli has funds coming in from places other than just the NFL after that 10 penalty first half.

The worst call favored the Bills and should’ve won us the game.

Nope.  It is not.

The rules are setup to keep these games close....If you have a big lead it is not safe and if you are trailing late it is never insurmountable.

Unlike MLB where you really earn your wins, (there are no Flags thrown after a walk off home run or a double play turned in the bottom of the 9th where the offense gets another crack at it because a player was 6 inches out of position before the pitch having nothing to do with the play...and yes i know they put in rules against the shift and how far over the ss and 2b can be)  anyway.  The NFL competition committee wants the game this way exactly.

4th and forever late in the game down 4 or 6 just heave one up and the officials will call anything close a penalty to give you another chance.  This is how the competition committee wants it and this is how they call it.

Yesterday was an atrocious day for the over officious jerks...they missed three shots to the heads of bills players, blatant PI and a ridiculous horse collar....Nothing will come of it and no one will care in a few days or weeks after the next thing grabs the headlines.  

As long as people are watching and the games are close the NFL Owners are winning.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Again, let me be clear...

I am not just talking about the Bills/Eagles games, or just the Bills.  I am referring to bad officiating all over, all season.

The Bills were even on the receiving end vs. the Giants this season.  That was a blatent penalty in the end zone, and other teams have been screwed over by the refs as well.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The worst call favored the Bills and should’ve won us the game.

The horse-collar turned into intentional grounding favored the Bills? 🤔

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Was the game outcome “fixed” - I doubt it.  They wouldn’t have called the Kelce false start in crunch time to move them back if it was truly scripted.

Are refs taking money to impact betting lines -  it would amaze me if it wasn’t happening given the amount of money involved.

Yesterday there were egregiously bad calls made.  New York needs to step in during these moments and correct the on field errors.  The technology and systems exist. It’s worth “slowing down the game” to make the correct calls in my opinion.

That is my thinking and my wife even asked about it. I told her absolutely its not only possible, but odds are they are getting paid.  WAY too much money esp. with betting on NFL games being legal and hell even encouraged. Look at the commercials during the games for betting sites.   

I never wondered this for even a moment.   Now, idk.  Last night to me was insanity.   I've never seen any sporting event called so one-sided.  I've always thought the league wouldn't do it because if they get caught that's it.  People would completely stop watching.   But could the refs have money on the game?  It was so bad that I don't think it can simply be an inept crew.

• Like (+1) 1

I've watched a decent amount of Eagles games over the past two years and it's ridiculous how many calls they get in their favour, it's pretty sickening and I definitely question how legit the officiating is.

Side note: my dad complains about NHL refs affecting the games but I tell him they've got nothing on the NFL, I'm glad he doesn't watch much football. 

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If it was rigged .. wouldn’t they want the Bills to win this game?

Eagles are 9-1 and cruising home ..

Bills still have some big games coming up.., so now they are going be “out” already…?

No they want to guarantee philly gets homefield..they want the kelce butt brother bowl and kelce gf serenading him for the halftime show duh

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

No they want to guarantee philly gets homefield..they want the kelce butt brother bowl and kelce gf serenading him for the halftime show duh

Why should homefeld be important ?

Just rig the playoff game to get them into the SB

Edited by Aussie Joe

No I don’t think the NFL is fixed. Think about it logically with social media today that would get out and spread like wildfire on social media. There is always someone that would be a whistleblower and spill the beans if the NFL games were fixed. So no I don’t think the NFL games are fixed. The Buffalo Bills were one kick in Super Bowl 25 from being Super Bowl champions. If the NFL games were fixed there is no way the NFL would let the Buffalo Bills near one Super Bowl much less four Super Bowls in a row as such a small market.

The problem with the Buffalo Bills are we aren’t good enough. Noticed the Philadelphia Eagles made mistakes yesterday too but they are championship tested like the old 1990’s Bills teams. The reality the Eagles found a way to win and the Bills just aren’t at that level right now unfortunately to overcome the referees bad calls. It has nothing to do with NFL games being fixed. The 1990’s Bills were like the current Eagles last night they found a way even when they aren’t at there best. The current Bills team is lacking that in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

Agreed that it would be way too complex. Way too many moving pieces. These people prove themselves to be regularly incompetent, you can't then assume that they're such maniacal geniuses that they could pull something like that off in front of millions. I think that's largely what you're seeing with the refs - just regular every day incompetence and stupidity.

Although with the extreme rise in gambling you could get a few more bad apples Tim Donagy style. Not enough to fix anything, but lone wolf enough to do some weird damage to a game's outcome.

Too complex? The game is almost always won on momentum. Momentum can be manipulated. Rouges acting independently get caught. "Vegas" is the worlds best watchdog.  

10 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I wonder if there's a correlation to the NFL getting in on sports betting & the apparent rise in poor officiating?

The NFL was founded by shady types and a tight knit club. Sports betting has always been there. You can just see it now.

13 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I wonder if there's a correlation to the NFL getting in on sports betting & the apparent rise in poor officiating?

They been doing this since Namath somehow upset the Colts

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

No I don’t think the NFL is fixed. Think about it logically with social media today that would get out and spread like wildfire on social media. There is always someone that would be a whistleblower and spill the beans if the NFL games were fixed. So no I don’t think the NFL games are fixed. The Buffalo Bills were one kick in Super Bowl 25 from being Super Bowl champions. If the NFL games were fixed there is no way the NFL would let the Buffalo Bills near one Super Bowl much less four Super Bowls in a row as such a small market.

The problem with the Buffalo Bills are we aren’t good enough. Noticed the Philadelphia Eagles made mistakes yesterday too but they are championship tested like the old 1990’s Bills teams. The reality the Eagles found a way to win and the Bills just aren’t at that level right now unfortunately to overcome the referees bad calls. It has nothing to do with NFL games being fixed. The 1990’s Bills were like the current Eagles last night they found a way even when they aren’t at there best. The current Bills team is lacking that in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I normally think this but that first half yesterday was something else entirely.  They threw every ticky tacky penalty they could at us and we still mostly overcame them but easily could’ve had 7-10 more points from more even officiating alone.

of course we had our chance to win it anyway despite that and couldn’t execute but that doesn’t excuse the horrendous officiating imo 

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

There is and it does. Ever hear of Jerry Rice? Dwight Smith? Rasheed Wallace. People don't pay attention to that. They put Cook on their fantasy team 🤡

I don't know...if the refs/NFL really wanted Philly to win so badly, I can't imagine them really making that roughing-the-passer call against Josh in overtime. I mean, that was a serious acting job, and it was (er, should have been) a huge game-influencing penalty on the Philly side of the field.

• Agree 1

The NFL is not rigged against Buffalo.

The NHL is not rigged against Buffalo.

Yet fans still think that there is a script.. they then proceed to watch every game and still complain which I can’t get my head around.  You watch a sporting even that is supposedly already decided.  You supposedly already know and accept this.  Then you complain about it while putting money in NHL and NFL owner pockets.  Queue the Twilight Zone theme.  

This theory that sports leagues are hellbent on not allowing Buffalo to win are so rampant and widely accepted by our fanbase that some people should get together and film a documentary about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

The NFL is not rigged against Buffalo.

The NHL is not rigged against Buffalo.

Yet fans still think that there is a script.. they then proceed to watch every game and still complain which I can’t get my head around.  You watch a sporting even that is supposedly already decided.  You supposedly already know and accept this.  Then you complain about it while putting money in NHL and NFL owner pockets.  Queue the Twilight Zone theme.  

This theory that sports leagues are hellbent on not allowing Buffalo to win are so rampant and widely accepted by our fanbase that some people should get together and film a documentary about it. 

The NHLs Blues winning the cup that year they won would be like the Giants winning it all in the NFL this year. Out of nowhere just not mathematically toast. Any sport with a betting line has some level of chicanery. 

I do not think that it is fixed, but that the officiating is more involved in the games than needed.

It isn't impossible for the other team to win when this happens, but I think that for example, when you play the Chiefs in a prime time game, you have to play well enough to win by 10 in order to offset the calls that they will get. 

My opinion is that some refs are just incompetent, but others like Shawn Hochuli have an extended history of favoringthe larger team and need to be investigated.

Edited by dgrochester55

I don't think the games are outright fixed, but I do think there's a bias that influences officials' decisions.  Yesterday's game was extremely poorly officiated and the Bills almost overcame it.  The one call they did get was the roughing the passer late in the game.  Up to that point, it was horribly one-sided.  If it was properly officiated, the Bills probably would have had the game well in hand.  I give the Bills a ton of credit for overcoming it, but they still fell short in the end.

I have a feeling the refs got a call from the shield at halftime and were told not to be so blatant, so obvious in the second half.

Then again, watch any NFL game and it's always the same, the officiating is dreadful in every game. By not improving the officiating it seems like they want it that way. Other sports leagues would fix a problem, not the NFL.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree.  Been saying this since the Brady years. The NFL can very easily steer games in any direction. And they've been doing it for years.  10 penalties to 1 half way through the 2nd qtr.

Seriously?

and several egregious non calls on Philly

• Like (+1) 1