Per Benjamin Allbright, McDermott's "seat is warm"

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That rebuild is coming no matter what. Hyde and Poyer are done. Von is done. White is probably done. Our foundational pieces are Rousseau, Oliver, Bernard, and to some extent Benford. So now is actually the perfect time to bring in a new coach so he can manage that rebuild himself. Delaying it another year only makes it worse.

Replacing Poyer and Hyde would be a lot easier than replacing the system. 

We don’t have great individual players on defense.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’s mostly the defensive players that blow it. Look at the games we blow at the end and you’ll see Poyer, Hyde, White or Milano getting beat. 

Our best players don’t make plays in crunch time. 

Sure they're part of it, but it's also mind numbingly stupid play calls and fame management by the HC.  The root of all issues with this team is the conservative, gutless, fearful HC who is an absolute cancer to this team as far as I'm concerned.  CARVE OUT THE CANCER!

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Why keep McD?  Honest question.  Ask yourself this, and be honest.

Can you see McD winning the SB next year?  Do you honestly think he can do it, if given another chance?  I don't.  I have zero faith in him doing that, and that is the goal.

Yes, a new coach may not be any better, may even be worse, but if they give us an actul chance to win it all, I will roll the dice.

This 100%

Just now, Preds said:

Sure they're part of it, but it's also mind numbingly stupid play calls and fame management by the HC.  The root of all issues with this team is the conservative, gutless, fearful HC who is an absolute cancer to this team as far as I'm concerned.  CARVE OUT THE CANCER!

I think we let the players off the hook way too often. Over and over again they fail to make a play. 

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And what idiot wouldn't favor Levy or Harbaugh over McD?

Lol I just SPECIFICALLY said that’s not what I’m arguing and yet you keep trying to make it an argument. I’ve probably retyped this response about a dozen times now because I’m actually at a loss for words at how clueless you are. Welcome to the ignore list with the rest of your Harbaugh butt buddies.

17 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

I’m on the fence about it… Part of me wants him gone and then the other part of me says do you wanna go through 2 years of a rebuild… A new coach will want to bring in players to fit his scheme which means possibly dismantling half the roster we already have…

Miami saw an immediate improvement and didnt do any house cleaning when they upgraded from the Defensive-minded, "high character" Brian Flores to the young hotshot Mike McDaniel.

We're going to be flipping a bunch of players next year anyways, especially on D. So good time to do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Miami saw an immediate improvement and didnt do any house cleaning when they upgraded from the Defensive-minded, "high character" Brian Flores to the young hotshot Mike McDaniel.

We're going to be flipping a bunch of players next year anyways, especially on D. So good time to do it.

Yea true that… I guess if we miss the playoffs this year f it let’s get rid of him and move on… 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Has there ever been a HC fired during the season when the team was 6-6?  Honest question.  I wanted McD gone two years ago.  I've been posting and getting flamed for years that he is a fraud.  But I doubt any HC has even been fired during the season when they are at 0.500.  

I don't know.

But I will tell you this... I come from business. And AS SOON AS we identify a problem, it's our responsibility to try and fix it. Many HAVE been calling for mcds head for some time.

Heck I have wanted him gone since end of last year. I thought I was generous giving him a pass on 13 seconds.

But now I think the bulk of the football world is now in the camp of McD is done. And so I think it's widely reasonably true that he has just now been clearly identified as the problem.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't care if it's been done. Let's just rip the damn bandaid off and move onto somebody fresh and hopefully offensive minded.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Question (just asking since I don't know the answer):

Has a team with a known franchise QB that has not won a SB with that QB ever fired their HC and then gone on to win a SB with that same QB?

(Teams like the Packers in 2005 don't count since when Mike Sherman was fired, they had Rodgers, but he wasn't a known franchise QB at the time. The 2002 Buccaneers also don't count since Brad Johnson was not a true franchise QB.)

EDIT: I just thought of Denver firing Dan Reeves after 1992 and then Wade Phillips after 1994 before finally getting Mike Shanahan and winning multiple SB's with John Elway. But Phillips was not the initial solution. It took some time to get it right. And at that time, Elway was almost done and hanging on.

Edited by chongli

43 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I'm torn about firing McDermott.

I see why people would want him fired but who could we hire that would definitely be an upgrade?

Maybe we should give him at least another year before we consider a change.

You want another year of this *****?  It's not getting better next year, we are maxed at cap, have old slow players on contracts, FAs galore leaving next year with no money to replace them.  Get a new staff in here to rebuild while we are screwed anyways.  Let them build an offense and shoot for 2025 when we can dump the Con Miller contract and Knoxs, and possibly have some money for the new staff to acquire 1 or 2 nice players.  The current staff has us kinda ***** ya know

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

Has a team with a known franchise QB that has not won a SB with that QB ever fired their HC and then gone on to win a SB with that same QB?

(Teams like the Packers in 2005 don't count since when Mike Sherman was fired, they had Rodgers, but he wasn't a known franchise QB at the time. The 2002 Buccaneers also don't count since Brad Johnson was not a true franchise QB.)

Colts?  I think Jim Mora coached Manning for 3 years before Dungy took over and won a super bowl 5 years later.  Only one I can think of.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Colts?  I think Jim Mora coached Manning for 3 years before Dungy took over and won a super bowl 5 years later.  Only one I can think of.

Good answer! I hadn't thought of Dungy. Of course, he had to be fired by Tampa Bay after 2021 since he couldn't get Tampa Bay to the SB. Also, I edited my post as you were typing to mention Mike Shanahan with the Broncos, guiding them to two SB wins after both Reevers and Phillips were fired.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, chongli said:

Good answer! I hadn't thought of Dungy. Of course, he had to be fired by Tampa Bay after 2021 since he couldn't get Tampa Bay to the SB. Also, I edited my post as you were typing to mention Mike Shanahan with the Broncos, guiding them to two SB wins after both Reevers and Phillips were fired.

Was a great question.  I had to really think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, chongli said:

EDIT: I just thought of Denver firing Dan Reeves after 1992 and then Wade Phillips after 1994 before finally getting Mike Shanahan and winning multiple SB's with John Elway. But Phillips was not the initial solution. It took some time to get it right. And at that time, Elway was almost done and hanging on.

2015 Broncos 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That rebuild is coming no matter what. Hyde and Poyer are done. Von is done. White is probably done. Our foundational pieces are Rousseau, Oliver, Bernard, and to some extent Benford. So now is actually the perfect time to bring in a new coach so he can manage that rebuild himself. Delaying it another year only makes it worse.

You’re not rebuilding with a franchise QB in his prime. They’ll make changes but a full rebuild? Won’t happen.

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Peyton Manning.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think we let the players off the hook way too often. Over and over again they fail to make a play. 

Agree. Davis running the incorrect route. Cook dropping a surefire TD. Bass missing two kicks. 

it seems like every week this season we commit errors like these. Two years ago none of this ever happened

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Agree. Davis running the incorrect route. Cook dropping a surefire TD. Bass missing two kicks. 

it seems like every week this season we commit errors like these. Two years ago none of this ever happened

If Davis, Cook, and Bass do their jobs, its a Bills blow out.  That is 20 more points if those 3 did theirs jobs. 

Bills dont lose to anyone.  They beat themselves with this type of ***** week in and week out

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Terry Pegula doesn’t know what he’s doing though. It’s happening.

That's what you hope will happen.

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

Why is it dumb? He has failed to find a bona-fide #2 wr...his draft picks have been skewed to underachieving defense picks and he has old vets all over this roster and the cap is tight and no money to replace all the holes that are popping up now morse,hyde,poyer,von,tre,....just the von money would have bought allen his own higgins/waddle caliber wr opposite Diggs..bean has been lockstep with mcclappy and totally built this team opposite of how the modern nfl works..it's an offense driven league and bean has focused too much on the defense for his buddy McDermott 

It's dumb because you are cherry picking mistakes and ignoring the whole picture. Do the Bills have  Super Bowl caliber talent? Well those players didn't just wander into One Bills Drive, did they.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's what you hope will happen.

It's dumb because you are cherry picking mistakes and ignoring the whole picture. Do the Bills have Super Bowl caliber talent? Well those players didn't just wander into One Bills Drive, did they.

I definitely would hire the opposite type of coach. I don’t want anything to do with Belichick.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I definitely would hire the opposite type of coach. I don’t want anything to do with Belichick.

Okay, give me a name. Who's the can't-miss coordinator that's ready for the big job? The next Robert Salah or Brian Daboll?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I've been a big McDermott supporter until now. It sounds simple enough but it's his in game management that is the problem.

The Bills came to this game with an excellent game plan. They had absolutely stifled the Eagles in the first half.

The Eagles just tweaked their game plan a bit to have their runs go just a little more off tackle than they had been, and it really opened things up. McDermott had no answers. 

In post game interviews, even Oliver seemed a little baffled by the soft zone at the end of the game saying they just nickeled and died us down the field...if he could see that why didn't the coaches.

FAILURE to close out games when you have  lead on numerous occasions this season is unacceptable and must be addressed.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay, give me a name. Who's the can't-miss coordinator that's ready for the big job? The next Robert Salah or Brian Daboll?

Johnson? Slowik? If they fail, then the Bills have an easier strength and higher draft pick position in 2025. If they succeed, then everyone's happy.

At the moment, they're in purgatory and McDermott is not learning from his mistakes.

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve said it already that I think we have peaked under McD. A change seems needed at this point and we already have something most times don’t have when they are looking for a new HC: a franchise QB entering his prime. 

Logic says we should be a top team for any potential HC.

If we fire McD then I’d fore Beane as well. 

I agree with the response to my post. However, I think Beane deserves the opportunity to hire his own HC. Gotta remember…it was McD that hired Beane…not the other way around. 

• Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There’s definitely not a hot name. But Seahawks OC Shane Waldron is my guy. Not a top offense but has done enough with turning around Geno Smith’s career to want me to see what he could do with Allen. Also comes from the Sean McVay tree.

The biggest thing though is they need a smart leader. I don’t need just an OC at head coach. They have to be able to lead the entire team. What is the defensive philosophy? Who are DC candidates? It all matters. I’m not just looking for the top ranked offenses.

Wes Phillips is another guy I would definitely talk to. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

McDermott is Marty Schottenheimer 2.0. Good enough to return a moribund franchise to respectability but not good enough to get them over the hump. There is a large enough body of work at this point which shows his incompetence in big game situations and he's either too stubborn or too obtuse to learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately, I don't see Pegula firing his high character, Christian coach and we will witness Josh Allen's career be wasted under Marty McDermott. I'd rather win with the devil than lose with an angel.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott apologists need to stop offering up excuses. This has been a repeated problem over and over again,  so many heart breaking losses in the past 3 seasons and we cannot continue wasting Allen's prime years.  He screws up and makes stupid decisions in crunch time ,  on 13 secs it was everyone elses fault but him.  How about calling a timeout before the kickoff to make sure your kicker knows you want to squib kick it. Special team coordinator gone and his buddy Beanne telling media and fans will get to the bottom of this,  I promise you that Beane told the media the very next day.

As for the injury excuse,  our offence has been healthy all season outside of Knox and defence was healthy first game of the year against Jets and could not get it done making Zach Wilson look good.  They could not get a stop against the Pats on final drive and made Mac Jones look good.  They easily could have lost to both the Bucs and Giants who had final drives that could have had penalties in the zone on final play.  If those games are on the road the refs are throwing the flag.  The could not get a stop against Broncos and then then sent out 12 men on missed FG.

Yesterday Mcdermott wastes second time out trying to ice the kicker rather then saving it for final attempt at FG. You had 20 secs and one timeout and kneel down.  This guy then has the nerve to tell the media "will learn from this" after the game yesterday.  Said the same thing after KC playoff loss but they got into FG with 13 secs,  so what did you learn that day. His buddy Beane has been the enabler, allowing him make himself DC when that just is not practical or allowing him to punish his first round pick Elam because he does not fit well in McDermott's stupid soft zone defence.  We have Elam on IR with a bad ankle for weeks and call up a DB from the practice squad before giving him another opportunity.

Elam is the most athletic and fastest DB on the roster. It was Elam who made picks in both our wins against KC and in Dolphin playoff game.  Sorry but McDermott is not an elite HC and prefers older guys because he has limited coaching skills or he finds a way to get an athletic DB on the field. For those who don't agree then explain why both Hyde and Poyer are still playing into their 30's.  Was there any teams interested in Poyer as a free agent,  neither guy has a athletic ability and both are far too slow to make plays on either TD throw into the zone by Hurt yesterday.

Again after another very painful loss where I could not sleep well I am interested to listen any remaining McDermott supporters on why he should remain HC next season.  

Please be brave and don't hide until after our next win 

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

McDermott is Marty Schottenheimer 2.0. Good enough to return a moribund franchise to respectability but not good enough to get them over the hump. There is a large enough body of work at this point which shows his incompetence in big game situations and he's either too stubborn or too obtuse to learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately, I don't see Pegula firing his high character, Christian coach and we will witness Josh Allen's career be wasted under Marty McDermott. I'd rather win with the devil than lose with an angel.

The reality is we got into the playoff that first season by luck,  Cincy made some amazing late game TD pass and that allowed Bills to get playoff birth.  Once Allen came to town taking the playoffs was no big deal.

We need to stop talking like this guy won 2-3 SUPERBOWLS and deserves a job for life.  Philly fired their HC 3 seasons after winning a Super Bowl and Mcdermott gets a pass after 13 secs.  Look at the season and all the late game losses,  it's time to move on

The NFL should launch an investigation to determine wether or not Sean McDermott is affiliated with any criminal activity.No one and no team is this unlucky and the only way to find out is to fire his a**.,enough is enough of "We have to find the problem and fix quickly"

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Again after another very painful loss where I could not sleep well I am interested to listen any remaining McDermott supporters on why he should remain HC next season.  Please be brave and don't hide until after our next win and you already blew the season

Reading thru these threads, I've only seen one that I can recall. Maybe there are still a few but there are fewer and fewer willing to stay on 'The Island of Misfit Toys'.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.