Yet another choke job by the defense

Bermuda Triangle

I mean who the hell makes a 60 yard FG in the rain and wind except against the Bills? 

I'm not sure how many crazy, impossible FG's the Bills have had made against them over the years, but it has to be far more than any other team.  It's craziness...and you sit there and watch all these other games and the same kicks aren't even close to being made.  I just don't understand it. 

This just is not our year...I don't even know what else to say at this point.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean who the hell makes a 60 yard FG in the rain and wind except against the Bills? 

I'm not sure how many crazy, impossible FG's the Bills have have made against them over the years, but it has to be far more than any other team.  It's craziness...and you sit there and watch all these other games and the same kicks aren't even close to being made.  I just don't understand it. 

The Eagles have a good kicker, and ours is currently a headcase.

Maybe don't allow the Eagles to make it down the field to the 40?  How many tough throws did Hurt make on that drive?

• Thank you (+1) 2

How can Sean survive games like this? Their defense was so soft and allowed the Eagles to march  down the field on every possession, playing off the receivers. If you’re only rushing four why are these receivers so open with seven in coverage. How can a receiver on 3rd and 14 get behind Hyde in the end zone. The secondary is bad and old. Sean is a bend don’t break losing coach and can’t win a big game anymore. Our season is over and we’re wasting a great young QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

The Eagles have a good kicker, and ours is currently a headcase.

Maybe don't allow the Eagles to make it down the field to the 40?  How many tough throws did Hurt make on that drive?

I would be willing to bet the chance of making that kick when factoring in weather conditions was under 5%. Hell....maybe under 3%.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'm not sure how many crazy, impossible FG's the Bills have had made against them over the years, but it has to be far more than any other team.  It's craziness...and you sit there and watch all these other games and the same kicks aren't even close to being made.  I just don't understand it. 

https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1728974611138974008?s=20

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lions lost a game in a similar fashion against the Ravens when Tucker hit like a 62 yarder or something....Bills are in Lions cursed territory. 

agree. That was my main takeaway too. Way too snake bit this year. We have to take our lumps And re-set.

that FG was a joke. Frankly, same with that TD throw by Hurts, which was basically a hail Mary. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Nope.  Not on the defense.  Should have scored a few more times and it’s a moot point.

Offense lost the game.  Davis “miscommunication” lost the game.  Period.

How many teams score that much against the eagles and in philadelphia no less?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To my eyes, it looked like the majority of big mistakes were on the offense. Cook dropped a guaranteed TD pass, Davis goes the wrong way on another sure TD, and they couldn't run the ball all night. I can't remember who all of the 10 first half penalties were on, but that sure didn't help. Neither did two missed field goals. 

Overtime always favors offense, because the D is gassed. The Bills won the coin toss and the offense couldn't capitalize. 

The D was not stellar late, but you can't hang the outcome on them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

As long as McDimwit is around, it's likely never going to be our year.  

It's stunning that he has the support that he still currently has.  

• Agree 3

Just now, skibum said:

To my eyes, it looked like the majority of big mistakes were on the offense. Cook dropped a guaranteed TD pass, Davis goes the wrong way on another sure TD, and they couldn't run the ball all night, save for the one drive late. I can't remember who all of the 10 first half penalties were on, but that sure didn't help. Neither did two missed field goals. 

Overtime always favors offense, because the D is gassed. The Bills won the coin toss and the offense couldn't capitalize. 

I always say kickers never miss long kicks against the Bills - its almost like the longer the kick the more likely it is to be made - it's crazy

• Sad 1

I'd love to know opposing teams' FG percentage against the Bills since 2000.  I bet it's 8-10 percentage points higher than the league average over that time.

Former Cowboy Nick Folk certainly comes to mind.

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agree. That was my main takeaway too. Way too snake bit this year. We have to take our lumps And re-set.

that FG was a joke. Frankly, same with that TD throw by Hurts, which was basically a hail Mary. 

Yes that looked almost identical to the "Hail Murray".  

28 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Lions lost a game in a similar fashion against the Ravens when Tucker hit like a 62 yarder or something....Bills are in Lions cursed territory. 

That was in a dome at least!

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Depends which way the wind is blowing. Somehow the Bills coaches made sure the Eagles had their preferred wind for the 2nd & 4th quarter and overtime. Not as egregious as the 3-pass loss vs NE where they did the same, but The Process doesn’t take learning from that into account, I guess.

McDermott does the same crap every big late drive.   Off coverage, soft defense.. allow the team to coast up to midfield, hoping they make a mistake.  

Then he decides to play defense.. at which point, the opposing offense has a few first downs and rhythm. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

I don’t blame the players or defense

McDermott I’d a coward and most that game

The players are the ones that blew it.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

McDermott does the same crap every big late drive.   Off coverage, soft defense.. allow the team to coast up to midfield, hoping they make a mistake.  

Then he decides to play defense.. at which point, the opposing offense has a few first downs and rhythm. 

We don’t have DBs that can play aggressive. They are good only in a soft zone.

2 hours ago, skibum said:

To my eyes, it looked like the majority of big mistakes were on the offense. Cook dropped a guaranteed TD pass, Davis goes the wrong way on another sure TD, and they couldn't run the ball all night. I can't remember who all of the 10 first half penalties were on, but that sure didn't help. Neither did two missed field goals. 

8 games have gone to OT this year and only 2 have ended with an opening drive TD. The Bills were the first team to score in OT this year and still lose the game.

The defense was a horror show after half time. Note that this happened despite the offense running the ball successfully and chewing up the clock to 41 minutes TOP. 

Eagles possessions in 2nd half:

Punt

TD

TD

TD

Punt

FG

TD

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The Defense,  scheme and coach are really bad.  Obviously losing Milano & DQ hurts. Von has no business playing even 1 snap.  You have witnessed this defense fail late in a game dating back to Houston.  Sean's defenses have zero endurance. I've literally lost count of how many late JA game winning drives have ended with our defense collapsing.

Enough

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The stat I would like to see is how many 3rd and long plays the McD regime has given up.  It seems we let up way more 3rd and longs than any other team.  I'd bet he has some historic lead in that stat.

3rd and 18 is our sweet spot. We LOVE giving up conversions on 3rd and 18.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, skibum said:

Offense scored 34. Excellent performance 

Defense gave up 37. Crap performance 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.