Yet another choke job by the defense

Bermuda Triangle

21 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Anyone who thinks the defense didn't let the team down by giving up 37 has odd standards for what good defense is.

Agreed. It’s a lot like saying yeah the defense was good for 3 quarters so the offense should have built a bigger lead. Basswood had 2 misses and Allen inevitably was going to have a TO. I think he’s 13-14 in games of 40 passes or more and was picked on pass 40. It’s a big ask to have 0 TOs. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

with the game in their hands - twice - the defense failed miserably.

The secondary and Dodson were horrific today.

Micah looks old and slow. Von is shot…2 missed FG’s, a wrong route by Gabe, bias refs, and McD coaching scared (again). There’s more but this team is infuriating.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Why do we look so good in the first half, like the 85 Bears, and then like a bunch of JV losers on the biggest drives of the game?

WHY? Why do we give up so many great plays to opposing teams? It's like we are timid in the 4th.

What a ridiculous scheme. Why not play the same way as in the first half, when they gave up nothing????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean who the hell makes a 60 yard FG in the rain and wind except against the Bills? 

I'm not sure how many crazy, impossible FG's the Bills have had made against them over the years, but it has to be far more than any other team.  It's craziness...and you sit there and watch all these other games and the same kicks aren't even close to being made.  I just don't understand it. 

This just is not our year...I don't even know what else to say at this point.

I agree. Holding your opponent to a 60 yard field goal in the rain is to be considered a success. More often than not it is. They didn’t choke then but they weren’t very good on the final drive unfortunately. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, skibum said:

To my eyes, it looked like the majority of big mistakes were on the offense. Cook dropped a guaranteed TD pass, Davis goes the wrong way on another sure TD, and they couldn't run the ball all night. I can't remember who all of the 10 first half penalties were on, but that sure didn't help. Neither did two missed field goals. 

Overtime always favors offense, because the D is gassed. The Bills won the coin toss and the offense couldn't capitalize. 

The D was not stellar late, but you can't hang the outcome on them. 

They gave up 30 points in 30 minutes and we were up once in regular time and once in OT. All they had to do was make a stop. Games like this are starting to add up. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

If he wasn’t hit no doubt he re-grips the ball and runs upfield could be the issue was the timing of the hit. If he catches the ball, and is hit .2 seconds later maybe it’s called a fumble. 

9 hours ago, skibum said:

To my eyes, it looked like the majority of big mistakes were on the offense. Cook dropped a guaranteed TD pass, Davis goes the wrong way on another sure TD, and they couldn't run the ball all night. I can't remember who all of the 10 first half penalties were on, but that sure didn't help. Neither did two missed field goals. 

Overtime always favors offense, because the D is gassed. The Bills won the coin toss and the offense couldn't capitalize. 

The D was not stellar late, but you can't hang the outcome on them. 

No.  Four games this year the offense has scored to take the lead with under 2 min left. Four times the D has choked. 

Football is a team game, but the defense is no winning in clutch situations. 

There is no ther way to look at it. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, par73 said:

Playing scared-- like their coach.

The team has taken on the personality of their coach.  They all sound like him during their media interviews before and after games.  They tighten up just like their coach.  I hate watching Allen do almost everything right and we lose like that.  McD finds a new way to lose time after time.  Terrible clock management, terrible usage of timeouts, terrible defensive playcalls in the 2nd half.  A complete defensive collapse by our HC/DC.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is beyond time for him to hand over the DC reigns. That has not worked. 

His game management is truly terrible.  He needs to go.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

with the game in their hands - twice - the defense failed miserably.

The secondary and Dodson were horrific today.

We're they? How many times did Hurst throw the ball away? Actually the defense was fabulous yesterday. What changed was McDermott getting away from applying pressure to playing a soft zone that prevents the long pass play. Also known as death by a thousand cuts 

17 minutes ago, juno999 said:

The team has taken on the personality of their coach.  They all sound like him during their media interviews before and after games.  They tighten up just like their coach.  I hate watching Allen do almost everything right and we lose like that.  McD finds a new way to lose time after time.  Terrible clock management, terrible usage of timeouts, terrible defensive playcalls in the 2nd half.  A complete defensive collapse by our HC/DC.

While there have been games this season - New England, Denver, Tampa - where I think the defensive playcalling has been a significant factor in our defeat I am not sure it was yesterday. The majority of the 2nd half defensive issues were execution issues by the players - especially the secondary. I remain completely underwhelmed by McDermott's work as DC... but that is a broader point than yesterday. I actually think he called a nice game yesterday for the most part (talking purely defensive playcalls rather than TO usage etc) but unfortunately our players really struggled to execute in that second half. 

I think yesterday was a game the Bills players gave away more than anything. I think Xs and Os we won the battle. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The players are the ones that blew it.

We don’t have DBs that can play aggressive. They are good only in a soft zone.

Ok them

keep peddling the mediocrity I guess

McDermott lost that game because he is a coward not just the last drive

he failed to lead and win numerous times in this game

• Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We're they? How many times did Hurst throw the ball away? Actually the defense was fabulous yesterday. What changed was McDermott getting away from applying pressure to playing a soft zone that prevents the long pass play. Also known as death by a thousand cuts 

In the first half, Hurts threw the ball away a number of times.  The defense was applying pressure with the front four.  It’s pretty clear that the Eagles made an adjustment at halftime, as they scored 5 times in the 2nd half and OT. The vaunted and expensive DL was ineffective after halftime.

If the defense’s play was “fabulous” in your opinion, then I guess we have completely different definitions of “fabulous”

Edited by Bermuda Triangle
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Ok them

keep peddling the mediocrity I guess

McDermott lost that game because he is a coward not just the last drive

he failed to lead and win numerous times in this game

I use to think he was scared but now I just think he coaches stupid during critical situations.

Crunch time he called cover 0. Which is a balls out yolo defensive call. Horrible call vs a running QB. Dolphins use to do it vs Josh Allen and would burn them every time.

But a lot of times he had players in position to make a play and they didn’t.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, zow2 said:

Based on the weather conditions and situation some national media are saying it’s one of the greatest kicks in regular season history.  All it took was to play the Bills. Does anyone miss a gargantuan end of game FG against us? 

Yeah I think everyone knew that was going to go in as a bills fan lol so ridiculous 

I saw a stat that said we were the most unlucky team this season by far 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Based on the weather conditions and situation some national media are saying it’s one of the greatest kicks in regular season history.  All it took was to play the Bills. Does anyone miss a gargantuan end of game FG against us? 

Well. When your HC continues to take timeouts and gives the kickers extra time to warm up and collect their thoughts that’s what happens. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

In the first half, Hurts threw the ball away a number of times.  The defense was applying pressure with the front four.  It’s pretty clear that the Eagles made an adjustment at halftime, as they scored 5 times in the 2nd half and OT. The vaunted and expensive DL was ineffective after halftime.

If the defense’s play was “fabulous” in your opinion, then I guess we have completely different definitions of “fabulous”

They were fabulous but couldn't adjust to what Philly was doing at the end. And it was pretty obvious they were playing prevent in the last two minutes and OT.

Our defense hasn’t stopped a game winning or game tying drive all season. If you wanna count the Giants game as a game winning stop I’m not….that was an obvious DPI that was missed. My issue is McDermott’s defense always and I mean always comes up small in big moments. Outside of the Chiefs game last season when has the defense finished a big game for us? I’ve seen Allen many times drive this team down the field for a game winning score only to have the defense give it back 

vs Patriots - Allen 1 yard TD + 2 point conversion, 25-22 Bills with 1:58 left……lose 29-25

vs Broncos - Allen 6 yard TD, 22-21 Bills with 1:55 left…..lose 22-24

vs Eagles - Allen TD pass to Davis, 31-28 with 1:52 left….lose 37-34

18 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Yes, but our coach allowed 12 men to be on the field 😱

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They were fabulous but couldn't adjust to what Philly was doing at the end. And it was pretty obvious they were playing prevent in the last two minutes and OT.

Aside from the last 2:00 and OT, do you consider allowing 20 points in 28:00 “fabulous”?

5 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Our defense hasn’t stopped a game winning or game tying drive all season. If you wanna count the Giants game as a game winning stop I’m not….that was an obvious DPI that was missed. My issue is McDermott’s defense always and I mean always comes up small in big moments. Outside of the Chiefs game last season when has the defense finished a big game for us? I’ve seen Allen many times drive this team down the field for a game winning score only to have the defense give it back 

vs Patriots - Allen 1 yard TD + 2 point conversion, 25-22 Bills with 1:58 left……lose 29-25

vs Broncos - Allen 6 yard TD, 22-21 Bills with 1:55 left…..lose 22-24

vs Eagles - Allen TD pass to Davis, 31-28 with 1:52 left….lose 37-34

Yes, but our coach allowed 12 men to be on the field 😱

https://twitter.com/lifewithmikey52/status/1728980593269256601?s=46&t=5bplTLuS1AHzrnPA9SMGhQ

Bills had a chance to run away with this game.  D was dominant in the first half and gave up 14 points through 3 quarters.  Yes, they completely folded at the end but they gave the offense plenty of opportunities to build a much bigger lead early but many of the opportunities were squandered.   But, of course, no talk of how the defense played for more than half of the entire game.

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While there have been games this season - New England, Denver, Tampa - where I think the defensive playcalling has been a significant factor in our defeat I am not sure it was yesterday. The majority of the 2nd half defensive issues were execution issues by the players - especially the secondary. I remain completely underwhelmed by McDermott's work as DC... but that is a broader point than yesterday. I actually think he called a nice game yesterday for the most part (talking purely defensive playcalls rather than TO usage etc) but unfortunately our players really struggled to execute in that second half. 

I think yesterday was a game the Bills players gave away more than anything. I think Xs and Os we won the battle. 

Jordan Mailata was dumbstruck at how bad this play call was in his post-game interview:

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Aside from the last 2:00 and OT, do you consider allowing 20 points in 28:00 “fabulous”?

https://twitter.com/lifewithmikey52/status/1728980593269256601?s=46&t=5bplTLuS1AHzrnPA9SMGhQ

You are playing a Super Bowl caliber team. They aren't the Jets.

McD crumbled all game he’s aggressive. To close it out with a hot offensive he sits on the 20 seconds, & rolls into ot without taking a shot.  In the ot drive he’s playing aggressive d all game, then defaults to the soft bend don’t break scheme.  Woof.

Edited by PayDaBill$

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.