Steelers fire Canada

loyal2dagame

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

probably hurts, TBH

It's a good question, but I'm not sure changing OCs makes Pickett's decision making better or faster, or improves the pass protection of their OL.

I would tend towards "push"

OTOH we have seen a change of some sort improve an offense (Fitzpatrick taking over for Trent Edwards at QB when I would have said our OL was pathetic).

Edited by Beck Water

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wanted to like him but he made me worried as a prospect. Mediocre measurables, baby hands.  Older guy who had one good season in college. I thought he had backup all over him and he went in the first. You can only do so much with a limited qb.

It was a really bad year to need a QB

Pickettt

Willis

Ridder

Howell

Corral

Zappe

Thompson

and some dude named Purdy 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The weird thing is Tomlin just defended the play calling on the final “drive” against the Browns where every play was a pass. He said that he had no problem with the play calls, but also made it clear that they were Canada’s by saying he did not intervene. I guess that was some BS and they were the final straw. 

Good coaches don't want to 1) feed the press 2) throw their own people under the bus.  Wasn't McDermott saying positive things about how he had full confidence in Ken Dorsey like, the day before he fired him?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, uninja said:

Ah yes, the ol' Judge/Patricia combo. I mean at least for the Steelers the two coaches are offensive position coaches and not a ST coach and a former DC.

That was just a total CF of a situation in NE.

Miami did something more analogous to what the Steelers are trying in 2021, making TE coach Godsey and RB coach Studesville joint OCs.

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

2 coordinators?

Like the old saying goes, if you have 2 OC you don't have 1

Probably a passing game coordinator and Run game coordinator type deal. I’m sure they will decide who is calling plays as the week goes on. Probably Sullivan as he has done it before. 

Seeing as Canada was so bad, this is likely an improvement 

56 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have a buddy who is a Pitt alum and fan, and was not crazy about him for those reasons.

He’s looking like he has a Matt Schaub ceiling.

It's not a fair comparison because Schaub spent 3 years on the Atlanta bench before getting a chance to start with Houston.  But then he logged several >4000 yd seasons with mid-60s completion % and a couple of pro-bowl appearances back when it meant more.  Then of course injuries finished him in his early 30s.

Totally under-appreciated QB in his prime, though, IMHO.

So far, Pickett hasn't entered the room to look up at Matt Schaub's ceiling.

Just now, Beck Water said:

It's not a fair comparison because Schaub spent 3 years on the Atlanta bench before getting a chance to start with Houston.  But then he logged several >4000 yd seasons with mid-60s completion % and a couple of pro-bowl appearances back when it meant more.  Then of course injuries finished him in his early 30s.

Schaub had a pretty rough ending to his time in Houston, but when he was in his prime he was a very good QB there

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

OUCH! You won’t even give Pickett a chance at a Matt Schaub ceiling.  

(in all seriousness, I agree— Schaub has that stretch where he was a legit starter). 

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good coaches don't want to 1) feed the press 2) throw their own people under the bus.  Wasn't McDermott saying positive things about how he had full confidence in Ken Dorsey like, the day before he fired him?

I understand all that. I thought it was telling when I heard the quotes for exactly those reasons. He basically said that he didn’t disagree with Canada’s calls and then made it very clear that they were Canada’s calls and Canada’s calls alone. 

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

OUCH! You won’t even give Pickett a chance at a Matt Schaub ceiling.  

(in all seriousness, I agree— Schaub has that stretch where he was a legit starter). 

I mean, like I said, it's not totally fair, since Schaub got that Aaron Rodgers/Pat Mahomes bench-and-learn apprenticeship in Atlanta, while Pickett got thrown into the fire Week 4 of his rookie year.

My point was just that a Matt Schaub ceiling is actually a pretty good player.

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I understand all that. I thought it was telling when I heard the quotes for exactly those reasons. He basically said that he didn’t disagree with Canada’s calls and then made it very clear that they were Canada’s calls and Canada’s calls alone. 

OK, I getcha now.  Expressing support, but then dissociating himself.  Did McD do anything similar in his pressers close to the Dorsey firing?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

What??  Not even the Steelers never firing people during the season could save his job...there must have been some behind the scenes stuff going on as well...

So people are saying the offensive players were complaining about Canada and it had reached a place where they weren't keeping it 'in house'

It's an interesting point that I haven't heard speculation about "behind the scenes" stuff with the Bills....is that in part because McDermott and Beane seem to firmly believe "loose lips sink ships" and seem to do a pretty good job cultivating a culture where players "keep things in house"?  But surely there was some...I find it hard to believe that a coach who displayed the emotional control breakdown that Dorsey did up in the booth after the Heat Stroke loss, and that had multiple players talking about "The Holy Spirit comes out of him", didn't have some "in house" stuff going on that came out after some of our close losses.

49 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

All Steeler fans are rejoicing here in Pittsburgh today.

But only the smart/realistic ones understand the problems are primarily tied back to Kenny Pickett.

This may ultimately turn out to be correct, but until they put an NFL caliber offensive line in front of him nobody will truly know for sure whether he is the real problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Tomlin has SuperBowl hardware!

A valid point, but the most recent was what, 16 years ago?  That's a long-lasting aura.

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

This may ultimately turn out to be correct, but until they put an NFL caliber offensive line in front of him nobody will truly know for sure whether he is the real problem.

I don't disagree, I think up thread I pointed out that the new OC-by-committee may be an improvement, but they're still dealing with the same OL and QB.

Still, in the Steelers games I've watched (not that many), I thought that Pickett had chances to get the ball out in rhythm with short passes that would make the OL look better at times - and that he's developed that "happy feet" bailing from a functional pocket young QB get when the OL struggles.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

All Steeler fans are rejoicing here in Pittsburgh today.

But only the smart/realistic ones understand the problems are primarily tied back to Kenny Pickett.  He's Zach Wilson 2.0, with less talent.

Some chatter about Trubisky taking over, if Pickett lays another egg this weekend.

Oh, wow.  Interesting times for the Steeler fans.  Pickett got thrown into the fire last season because "Money Mitch" just looked incompetent.

On the other hand, he had Canada as his OC, so....

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

wasn’t Mike Sullivan with the Bills a while back?

I do not think so,

Jacksonville Jaguars (2002) - Defensive quality control coordinator

Jacksonville Jaguars (2003) - Offensive assistant

New York Giants (2004–2009) - Wide receivers coach

New York Giants (2010–2011) - Quarterbacks coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2012–2013) - Offensive coordinator

New York Giants (2015) - Quarterbacks coach

New York Giants (2016–2017) - Offensive coordinator

Denver Broncos (2018) - Quarterbacks coach

Pittsburgh Steelers (2021–present) - Quarterbacks coach

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Anywhere. It's time for change for both sides.

It would have to be to an organization who shares his apparent disdain for analytics and 'punt first' mentality.

BTW, it's not likely the Rooney family would ever part ways with him unless he inexplicably embarrassed them publicly. Canada was the first coach of any kind that they have let go in-season since...1941. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's just not their m.o.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Going with the 2 coordinator role? I know it's happened before....can't remember anytime it's ended well. 

They did put one of them in charge and the other helping right? They didn't seriously make them like co-coordinators or something stupid like that.....right?

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

They did put one of them in charge and the other helping right? They didn't seriously make them like co-coordinators or something stupid like that.....right?

Listening to Tomlin's presser it sounds like they are Co-Coordiniting. I'm sure Sullivan has a bit more weight being a former OC, but yeahhhh it sounds a lot like it's both of em

2 hours ago, T master said:

WOW ! I guess great minds think a like . When a leader sees a problem they try & correct it . 

Well Tomlin and Coach McD played in college together at  William & Mary a college which has produced a number of NFL coaches and three US presidents.

On reason for firing I am sure this contributed.

Najee Harris: I’m just tired of this *****

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/najee-harris-im-just-tired-of-this-*****

Edited by Limeaid

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.