Steelers fire Canada

loyal2dagame

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What??  Not even the Steelers never firing people during the season could save his job...there must have been some behind the scenes stuff going on as well...

The weird thing is Tomlin just defended the play calling on the final “drive” against the Browns where every play was a pass. He said that he had no problem with the play calls, but also made it clear that they were Canada’s by saying he did not intervene. I guess that was some BS and they were the final straw. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Going with the 2 coordinator role? I know it's happened before....can't remember anytime it's ended well. 

Ah yes, the ol' Judge/Patricia combo. I mean at least for the Steelers the two coaches are offensive position coaches and not a ST coach and a former DC.

• Agree 1

I think sometimes as fans we forget how hard it must be to fire someone who work so close with. People were unhappy with Canada for a while but I saw plenty of plays that could have been made by players that weren’t as well (Pickett has been so so bad). 

but the good thing is the new OCs can’t be worst.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think sometimes as fans we forget how hard it must be to fire someone who work so close with. People were unhappy with Canada for a while but I saw plenty of plays that could have been made by players that weren’t as well (Pickett has been so so bad). 

but the good thing is the new OCs can’t be worst.

I agree. Canada was bad, But Pickett has been terrible too. He is just inaccurate or missing reads. He has no pocket presence either.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree. Canada was bad, But Pickett has been terrible too. He is just inaccurate or missing reads. He has no pocket presence either.

I wanted to like him but he made me worried as a prospect. Mediocre measurables, baby hands.  Older guy who had one good season in college. I thought he had backup all over him and he went in the first. You can only do so much with a limited qb.

• Agree 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wanted to like him but he made me worried as a prospect. Mediocre measurables, baby hands.  Older guy who had one good season in college. I thought he had backup all over him and he went in the first. You can only do so much with a limited qb.

I have a buddy who is a Pitt alum and fan, and was not crazy about him for those reasons.

He’s looking like he has a Matt Schaub ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

True. It's actually a great success story, getting to over .500 after 10 games with a QB this bad.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2023/11/20/browns-mike-tomlin-matt-canada-najee-harris-jaylen-warren-diontae-johnson-george-pickens/stories/202311200046

“There’s literally nobody there. I’m so confused.” — Ben Roethlisberger, on the “Footbahlin” podcast, watching the only Pickett pass that traveled at least 20 yards from scrimmage, then watching it land with not a single player from either team close enough to appear on the television screen (likely the result of another miscommunication with Diontae Johnson).

This is a disaster. I don’t care if the Steelers beat Jake Browning and the Bengals 12-9 next weekend. I don’t care if they beat the Patriots, Cardinals and Colts and sneak into the playoffs. This season is pointless (almost literally). This offense is a laughingstock.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What??  Not even the Steelers never firing people during the season could save his job...there must have been some behind the scenes stuff going on as well...

Very public complaining by the main offensive skill position players for most of the season. They had stopped trying to keep it in house.

19 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

They had to. Najee Harris and George Pickens publically complained about the play calling. Pickens on Instagram/X and Harris in a post-game press scrum. Canada had lost the confidence of the players.

WR Diontae Johnson was also quite publicly unhappy and went after one of the offensive coaches on the sidelines during the Browns game. O-lineman Broderick Jones actually ended up picking him up and carrying him away to defuse the situation.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Going with the 2 coordinator role? I know it's happened before....can't remember anytime it's ended well. 

That was exactly my first thought - "oh, didn't the Dolphins under Brian Flores try that one year?  I don't think it worked."

Edit: 2021.  They finished 9-8 and Flores was fired.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.