Firing Dorsey did not solve Bills' number 1 problem: Sean McDermott (damning Warren Sharp article)

Logic

46 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

At this point, with McDermott's seat getting hotter and the offense not working well enough so far this season, why would he meddle in Brady's offense when while he was meddling (if he was), it wasn't working?  And if it continues not to work, he'll probably be fired.

Why?? I point you to the first line of the article:

“A tiger cannot change his stripes.”

The man is stubborn.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They still are! 70% completion percentage, 3rd highest in the league even with all of the drops, and they want him to take LESS risks. It's crazy.

It's a no-win situation with this personnel though. We can't throw the ball downfield, and our pass catchers have no YAC potential. Basically our only avenue to success is run the ball effectively and try to work down the field meticulously.

I said a couple weeks back I didn't think McDermott was very bright: I submit an HC who drones on about complementary football and demands a meticulous ball control type offense (unsuited to our personnel) while simultaneously blitzing like there's no tomorrow in the biggest spots as exhibitA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

The funny thing about all of this is Josh is having the lowest percentage of turnover worthy throws in his career with the highest completion percentage.

This means that balls are being dropped, interceptions happening aren't on Josh, etc, etc.

Or he’s making less turnover worthy plays and a higher % of them are actually being intercepted. I can only think of a couple that went through the receivers hands. A lot were just terrible throws and decisions by Josh. 

Its just a bunch on baseless speculation and theorycrafting by a guy who doesnt even care or know about the Bills but who everyone suddenly thinks is so profound. If only McDermott was puppetmastering Dorsey it would make everything so simple but the reality is the Bills have a myriad of complex problems on multiple fronts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

https://www.newyorker.com/sports/sporting-scene/a-gambling-sharp-breaks-into-the-nfl

There is, of course, more than one way to succeed. Sharp’s multiple revenue streams—gambling, talking about gambling, advising other gamblers, and consulting for N.F.L. teams—all bring their own rewards. Sharp has a young son, and he told me the story of watching an N.F.L. game with him on TV, last winter. As one team approached the opponent’s goal line, he told his son to keep an eye on a rarely targeted tight end, who, on the very next play, caught an improbable touchdown. “I’m embarrassed to say I jumped up and started swinging my jacket in the air,” he told me. “I was so happy.” Days before, Sharp had sent the team’s offensive play-caller a weekly memo with strategy suggestions, including that pass. I phoned the coach to ask about the play. He chuckled, perhaps hesitant to disclose a secret weapon, before confirming that he had, indeed, run a Sharp special. “We talk at least once a week,” the coach said. “I have a lot of respect for Warren. I like surrounding myself with intelligent people. Football is a thinking man’s game, too.”

• Like (+1) 1

As many have pointed out, the Sharp column could cut more ways than simply Sharp’s opinion of McDermott killing off the Offense. Seems like he let his opinion run the story even when the stats had other interpretations.

Dorsey has been the agent of horrible playcalling while he also failed at adopting his concepts completely to a talent level at QB Dorsey may not get to work with again. Allen has his handicaps, the biggest being his short range touch that will never allow him to have a deadly screen/short game like some of his peers, but at the same time his ability to extend plays and laser throwing through tight lanes are best in the league. Allen wants to see himself as a Peyton Manning scanning the field and making decisions on the fly but that’s not ever going to be his strength and his OC must control that. There are a number of ways to limit that, not the least of which is to call more plays under center, where statistically Allen is at his best. Seeing us on the 1 yard line in the red zone with Allen in shotgun over this despicable stretch of ball this season showed me Dorsey does not have the understanding to work with Josh Allen. Dorsey earned his firing in the worst way.

The frustration with McDermott that may end up being his undoing is his inability to improve on his worst impulses. It’s surprising from a martial arts guy- those are disciplines where you do not move forward in your art until you have learned to overcome your weakest skill. Maybe he just can’t get enough reps in a sport with only 17 chances every season? Instead of getting better at his disastrous end of game coaching McDermott can’t keep from falling all over himself. Between that and the indications he may be losing the players he is definitely skating on the swift edge of the river. I’d been thinking for the past few weeks if he didn’t get to 11 wins this year the owners would move on.

There will be lots of former coaches chomping at the bit to come in, but the pain of the roster makeover might be as brutal as the horrible product we are putting out there these last 6 games. Good time to be a drinker if you’re on our side.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

McCoach blathers on about "accountability" but that apparently is a hollow word when he looks in the mirror.

McCoach has thrown others under the bus to deflect from his own issues. I hope Terry makes McCoach accountable.

After all, we can say that firing McCoach was part of the "process."

Karma is a B--ch.

McCoach!?!? Really!?! What are you, 8 years old?

I wish all this juvenile name calling would end already. Bunch of clowns. 
Sincerely, 

McDopey. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I loved this article and the historic review that came with it. McDummy peaked at 13 seconds but he's hung on doggedly by scapegoating both players and coaches.  It's been downhill ever since. He continues to waste a generational talent at QB. Can't wait until McDummy is gone. 

I unfortunately think it’s going to be after next year.

Going to waste another year of josh Allen’s prime 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They still are! 70% completion percentage, 3rd highest in the league even with all of the drops, and they want him to take LESS risks. It's crazy.

It's a no-win situation with this personnel though. We can't throw the ball downfield, and our pass catchers have no YAC potential. Basically our only avenue to success is run the ball effectively and try to work down the field meticulously.

Mostly agree except I think Cook, Kincaid, Diggs, Shakir, and (if ever he were to get the ball) Harty provide average to above average YAC potential as far as each of their individual talents are concerned. 

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The Bills are actually ranked as the #1 OL in terms of pass blocking in the entire league.   I heard that today and was shocked

They have mostly been decent.  They have bad plays and when they do they are really bad.  Like the lineman might as well not be there bad, but they have also been very good too.  It's weird.  They just aren't consistent.  It isn't just Brown either.  Everyone on that oline has had bad moments.  I thought they played real well against Denver but I dunno how good Denvers pass rush is because I haven't watched them at all.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a result of us doing what the fans have wanted and going all short passing all the time. It's great for completion percentage but it also creates long meticulous drives with a lot of chances for something to go wrong. Defenses have no reason to fear this group of pass catchers getting behind them so they can squat on short and intermediate routes which means they're getting tackled at the catch point. The margin for error is too low in that kind of offensive structure.

I've been banging this statement all year long. 

Other thing is Josh is no threat to run.  Even when he thinks about running it, it's too hesitant and too late. Defenses know he isn't going to run it no more so they don't even have to worry about it. His throws have been hesitant.  His throws on the run have been bad this year which is odd because he excelled at that.  It's just mental.  Its coaching in his head.  I think that is McD personally and Dorsey just coaching as McD wanted.  Dorsey had more problems and I agree with the fire, but I think it does stem further up the chain.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure I agree with that.  You don't need Hill speed to get guys downfield.  Just the right play design.  One thing I did agree with in Warners video was that Josh from shot gun really isnt taking that drop so he is ready to throw the ball long before those long developing routes even happen.  It made perfect sense watching the tape while he explained it.

As far as YAC... yeah we don't have great guys but the offensive system itself doesn't seem to really give good opportunity for YAC.  Lots of curls, comebacks, and outs to the sideline.  Lots of "stop here" and wait for ball.  YAC comes from guys catching the ball on the move.  Most of our catches are not like that.  They are mostly standing still catches or headed out of the sideline like catches.  At least from some of the stuff I seen anyways.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Or he’s making less turnover worthy plays and a higher % of them are actually being intercepted. I can only think of a couple that went through the receivers hands. A lot were just terrible throws and decisions by Josh. 

Some of the ones included in that are probably balls tipped at the line and things like that.  "A lot" were not just terrible throws and decisions.  Some of them for sure were though.

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've been giving arguments for him to get fired since 13 seconds.  I'm tired trying to convince the hard core McD supporters to "see the obvious".  And why is it when over 80% of Bills fans now want him replaced,  that becomes a mob mentality?  

Because they say obviously incorrect things like “he doesn’t draft any OL” lol

17 hours ago, Logic said:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-ken-dorsey/

A tiger cannot change his stripes.

Ultimately, neither can Sean McDermott.

The 2020 Bills came so close to winning it all. Their offense was nearly unstoppable. It didn’t resemble anything Buffalo had seen in decades. And it was the first time they made it to the AFC Title game since 1993.

But instead of running it back with minor tweaks, McDermott said in his post-season press conference that he wanted to “start over” and do so by “running the ball better.”

The direction of the Bills has been a downward spiral ever since that fateful day.

Want to know why that 2020 season seems so different and magical than what the Bills have seen since, particularly in recent years?

Because that was the only year McDermott truly took a step back from the offense and let someone else give it a spin with full impunity.

As I’ll detail below, that was OC Brian Daboll’s ticket to ride anything at the park. Super Bowl or bust. But if it busts, regardless of whether it got *this close* to a Super Bowl, the fun is over. Back to basics.

And since that AFC Championship loss, the blame from the top has gone everywhere:

First, it was Daboll. He left after 2021.

Then it was defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. He left after 2022.

Now it is Ken Dorsey, who was fired at the midpoint of this 2023 season.

Ironically, Dorsey’s firing came after a home loss to the Broncos that was both predictable and ultimately the fault of the head coach....

------------------------

That's just the beginning of the article, but I highly suggest reading the whole thing. 

Yikes.

I am not surprised at all. It fits very well with something I noticed. The Bills have gotten new coordinators four times since 13 seconds - McDermott taking over the DC job, OC twice and Specials once. All replacements have come from within. I knew that it was not a good thing. No new ideas or differing viewpoints are brought in that way. What we got was McDermott either doing the job himself or promoting someone that he knew would do the job the way he wanted it done. The Bills are not going to get better under McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Logic said:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-ken-dorsey/

A tiger cannot change his stripes.

Ultimately, neither can Sean McDermott.

The 2020 Bills came so close to winning it all. Their offense was nearly unstoppable. It didn’t resemble anything Buffalo had seen in decades. And it was the first time they made it to the AFC Title game since 1993.

But instead of running it back with minor tweaks, McDermott said in his post-season press conference that he wanted to “start over” and do so by “running the ball better.”

The direction of the Bills has been a downward spiral ever since that fateful day.

Want to know why that 2020 season seems so different and magical than what the Bills have seen since, particularly in recent years?

Because that was the only year McDermott truly took a step back from the offense and let someone else give it a spin with full impunity.

As I’ll detail below, that was OC Brian Daboll’s ticket to ride anything at the park. Super Bowl or bust. But if it busts, regardless of whether it got *this close* to a Super Bowl, the fun is over. Back to basics.

And since that AFC Championship loss, the blame from the top has gone everywhere:

First, it was Daboll. He left after 2021.

Then it was defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. He left after 2022.

Now it is Ken Dorsey, who was fired at the midpoint of this 2023 season.

Ironically, Dorsey’s firing came after a home loss to the Broncos that was both predictable and ultimately the fault of the head coach....

------------------------

That's just the beginning of the article, but I highly suggest reading the whole thing. 

Yikes.

great article but whenever I see this guy's name my mind reads Warren Sapp and I wonder how articulate and thoughtful he has become. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2020: 40.0% of drives made it to the red zone

2021: 41.4%

2022: 33.9%

None of this is surprising. 

When McDermott came to Buffalo in 2017 he was asked about his offensive philosophy. 

It was all the same buzzwords: toughness, physical run game, snowy Buffalo weather. 

We all know he wants to run the ball and stay ahead of the sticks, 3rd and manageable. 

The article said it once, but it needs to be highlighted, and Beane owns some of this too: the Bills have not drafted a WR higher than the 4th Round since 2017 (2nd Round - Zay Jones). So in the Josh Allen era, Gabe Davis at 128th overall is their highest draft investment at WR. 

Ray Ray McLoud #187

Austin Proehl #255

None

Gabe Davis #128

Isaiah Hodgins #207

Marquez Stevenson #203

Khalil Shakir #148

Justin Shorter #150

That's your WR investment with Josh Allen as your QB. 

So you get what you deserve Buffalo. You're getting what you have invested in - running backs and tight ends. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When McDermott came to Buffalo in 2017 he was asked about his offensive philosophy. 

It was all the same buzzwords: toughness, physical run game, snowy Buffalo weather. 

We all know he wants to run the ball and stay ahead of the sticks, 3rd and manageable. 

The article said it once, but it needs to be highlighted, and Beane owns some of this too: the Bills have not drafted a WR higher than the 4th Round since 2017 (2nd Round - Zay Jones). So in the Josh Allen era, Gabe Davis at 128th overall is their highest draft investment at WR. 

Ray Ray McLoud #187

Austin Proehl #255

None

Gabe Davis #128

Isaiah Hodgins #207

Marquez Stevenson #203

Khalil Shakir #148

Justin Shorter #150

So you get what you deserve Buffalo. You're getting what you have invested in - running backs and tight ends. 

Imagine if they had done what EVERY fan wanted them to do when they traded up for Cody Ford and instead drafted Metcalf.

That was Beane's "maybin over orakpo" moment. And it changed the trajectory of the team, just like the maybin bust.

The swing from Cody Ford to DK would have been massive 

And I won't get into the endless parade of could-have-been-Bills WRs via trade or FA. It's criminal, and the one thing that really gives me pause about Beane is flat out ignoring the WR position after getting diggs 

• Like (+1) 3

I mean, I may be wrong in this line of thinking, but why wouldn't McDermott want to run the type of offense that is most successful for this team, moves the ball best  and scores the most points?  If that happens, you win football games and that is the ultimate goal.  People say he wants to run the ball, but he runs a defense scheme that is suited better for stopping the pass than the run.  So he knows the league has evolved to more of a passing league.  So why would he be the opposite in his philosophy of the offense and want to run the ball?  Unless he wants to go against the grain and run more because teams are going smaller on defense to defend the pass, which I don't think is true, then the whole McDermott wants more ball control and less passing and high tempo just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I mean, I may be wrong in this line of thinking, but why wouldn't McDermott want to run the type of offense that is most successful for this team, moves the ball best  and scores the most points?  If that happens, you win football games and that is the ultimate goal.  People say he wants to run the ball, but he runs a defense scheme that is suited better for stopping the pass than the run.  So he knows the league has evolved to more of a passing league.  So why would he be the opposite in his philosophy of the offense and want to run the ball?  Unless he wants to go against the grain and run more because teams are going smaller on defense to defend the pass, which I don't think is true, then the whole McDermott wants more ball control and less passing and high tempo just doesn't make sense to me.

He wanted a run game because the offense had become Josh playing Superman every drive.  Everyone could see the offense needed something other than Josh playing hero ball. The run game was the obvious solution. 

I don’t think he wanted the Bills to become a running offense, he just wanted a competent run game to complement Josh. 

Unfortunately, Josh hasn’t been playing Superman consistently this season, which leaves very little for this offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Imagine if they had done what EVERY fan wanted them to do when they traded up for Cody Ford and instead drafted Metcalf.

That was Beane's "maybin over orakpo" moment. And it changed the trajectory of the team, just like the maybin bust.

The swing from Cody Ford to DK would have been massive 

And I won't get into the endless parade of could-have-been-Bills WRs via trade or FA. It's criminal, and the one thing that really gives me pause about Beane is flat out ignoring the WR position after getting diggs 

Yes, yes and yes. 

I, like you, was screaming at the TV - DK Metcalf - after that Draft lead up????????? After that Combine? 

In 2019 it was Cole Beasley and John Brown - and that got the Bills to respectable (but again Cole and John were 30/29 years old when we picked them up, so they gave you the last bit the could. 

In 2020 it was the Diggs trade, still had Beasley and Brown, it was the fuel to get to the AFCCG. 

2021 was where it started to come off the rails for me - because we went back to the well and signed Emmanuel Sanders on the fringe of retirement. And look at the game logs, he was out of gas 7 games into that season. 

2022 was the year WRs were on the move everywhere and we didn't get one (I don't blame them for not getting Hill, I don't think the Chiefs were trading him here, but there were others. Also, this is the boneheaded Von Miller contract which sucked all the rest of the cap space. 

45 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

He wanted a run game because the offense had become Josh playing Superman every drive.  Everyone could see the offense needed something other than Josh playing hero ball. The run game was the obvious solution. 

I don’t think he wanted the Bills to become a running offense, he just wanted a competent run game to complement Josh. 

Unfortunately, Josh hasn’t been playing Superman consistently this season, which leaves very little for this offense. 

I'll say one thing, the only drives against Denver that relied heavily on running resulted in all 3 of our tds.  Whether Josh likes it or not, we have to run more.  If for no other reason than take pressure off 17.  The problem is we have a weak run blocking OL.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'll say one thing, the only drives against Denver that relied heavily on running resulted in all 3 of our tds.  Whether Josh likes it or not, we have to run more.  If for no other reason than take pressure off 17.  The problem is we have a weak run blocking OL.

Denver has a bad run defense. Unfortunately the run game disappears against better d lines. Maybe Brady will have a better strategy for running the ball and a more creative mix of runs. It could really turn things around. 

On 11/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ray Ray McLoud #187

Austin Proehl #255

None

Gabe Davis #128

Isaiah Hodgins #207

Marquez Stevenson #203

Khalil Shakir #148

Justin Shorter #150

I would suspect those red zone percentages got skewed last year with so many long TD passes by Allen meaning many of those drives never made it to the red zone because they scored before they ever got there. Seems disingenuous to  try and spin it like it was something bad in terms of red zone percentage.

Edited by Big Turk

On 11/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, zow2 said:

I like this one quote: "McDermott’s defense has been terrible on opening drives and early in games (#29 defense on opening drive yards allowed, #31 defense in points allowed the first two drives of games)."

So let me get this straight, McDermott's defense has been terrible at the beginning of games...and in all 5 losses it's been pretty awful at the end of games, unable to get the crucial stop to either win, or give the offense the ball back for a chance to win.  Man, that's a problem!  I'd say even the Giants game was technically a stop at the end, but the Bills got lucky.

Defense is getting stops missing 6-7 starters most games.  We have the highest cap percentage on IR and it’s all on defense it’s honestly pretty crazy.

If we had one of jones/white/Milano/von miller without a clunky knee brace we’d probably be 7-4 or 8-3 right now with no real defensive question marks 

the defensive has honestly exceeded expectations given the circumstances…only real stinker they had was NE

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I would argue this game was damming for Warren Sharp and Kenneth Dorsey.

I don't know after the Broncos game I became less certain about McDermott, things were definitely wrong with the team and there needed to be a change. I'd definitely hesitate to just clear McDermott's name because of one game I'd like some consistency first. It was definitely either a bad night or certainly an awkward night for Dorsey, generally you'd think if he got along well with his players he'd be happy they played well, but it definitely painted him in a poor light.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, BufBills83 said:

I’m sure he wants to be able to run on the cover 2 shells we frequently see as he should.  This whole bills fans criticizing him like he wants to run the ball at all cost no matter the situation is getting a little out of hand imo 

schematically we should be able to run fairly easily on a lot of the looks we see and we haven’t been able to in years past. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I would suspect those red zone percentages got skewed last year with so many long TD passes by Allen meaning many of those drives never made it to the red zone because they scored before they ever got there. Seems disingenuous to  try and spin it like it was something bad in terms of red zone percentage.

Yup you’re right. 

Disingenuous intentionally on my part.

By all means you’re right, let’s get Dorsey back.

4 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

The entire article consists of one sentence paragraphs.  Never trust anyone who can't write a paragraph with more than one sentence.

It seems to be the way of the world in online journalism these days, for better or worse. Modern readers have such short attention spans and will click away from something incredibly quickly if it doesn't immediately grab their attention, or so the theory goes, anyway.

Gone are the days of erudite and eloquent journalism or of journalism as art, at least as it relates to sports writing. Dr Zimmerman, Sharp is not. Unfortunately, it's all about clicks and "minutes spent on website" and ad revenues these days.

Edited by Logic

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

I would argue this game was damming for Warren Sharp and Kenneth Dorsey.

Let's hold off on that assessment until we see how they look against the Eagles, KC and the Cowboys. Eventually the tapes on how Brady calls games will be dissected and countered, and we will see if Brady can continue to adjust in game. I look forward to it!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Let's hold off on that assessment until we see how they look against the Eagles, KC and the Cowboys. Eventually the tapes on how Brady calls games will be dissected and countered, and we will see if Brady can continue to adjust in game. I look forward to it!

Also, it was more or less universally accepted that the Jets game was a bad day at the office for the QB. He was toasted in almost every A22 review and Dorsey was given a lot of credit for calling a very good game. 

I think Saleh was pretty insightful yesterday, they were basically waiting for Josh to self destruct. He didn’t, he had a great game. 

That said, getting Josh to do that is also part of the job of OC. So credit to Brady for sure. But like you, I am slow to call this “a new offense”.

EDIT: Hoping for Joe Brady to be the truth. We need it down the stretch. 

Edited by Mango
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

That said, getting Josh to do that is also part of the job of OC. So credit to Brady for sure. But like you, I am slow to call this “a new offense”.

EDIT: Hoping for Joe Brady to be the truth. We need it down the stretch. 

I'm really not shocked at all the national media is not giving the Bills a shot in the next three games... we seem to be at our best when we are underdogs, and this month is certainly the month for Brady to prove he can be the man.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.