Firing Dorsey did not solve Bills' number 1 problem: Sean McDermott (damning Warren Sharp article)

Logic

22 minutes ago, Cubanmist 1 said:

I’m not on the “Fire Sean” train as the real reasons are being recklessly neglected. The glaring issues on why the offense has been out of whack is obvious to me. Here are my observations.

1) Daboll knew how to unlock Allen, Dorsey didn’t.

2) Dorsey is not Daboll nor was he creative

3) Beane, needed to give Allen a #2 WR. The year that the Bills almost won it all they had a very talented WR in Sanders opposite of Diggs and next to Davis. He could have easily been a #2. A body like that was useful, but was never replaced after Sanders retired.

4)  Last but not least, Josh Allen just has not been himself. He needs to learn to stop trying to throw those tight throws, if they aren’t necessary. Take Tom Brady’s advice and go to the alternative target….even if it yields you 3-5 yards.

Sean does have a little blame in this, but not entirely. My only issue is that he takes too long to fire staff members when needed. Still waiting for him to fire Smiley.

I would add that Daboll held Allen accountable.  As fans, we saw it on the sidelines at times.

I think McD doesn't want Allen to run out of fear of injury.  I get it to some degree but Allen needs to run some in order to give the defense something else to defend.  Bills offense is too vanilla right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Nobody blamed Daboll in 2021.  That premise alone is completely wrong.

He was the hottest coaching candidate in the league.

My reading isn't that anyone blamed Daboll, it's that he and McDermott didn't see eye to eye, which is why he jumped at the HC opportunity. 

I mean, I think McD's time here should come to a close.  I still feel he was a pretty good head coach, but he doesn't embrace the talent of Josh.  I don't have a problem with him wanting things done "his way." Thats the entire point of being a head coach.  He is the leader. I just don't think his way is the right way in the NFL. 

I think McD is what is in Josh's head and why Josh has taken a step back this year.  Josh can't play his way and it takes the special out of him.  Maybe that isn't the case but thats how it feels and looks to me.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

i’ll sum up my feelings about McDermott that is a correct analysis.

Fired his ST coordinator after 13 seconds.

Leslie “took a year off” after 2022.

Dorsey fired mid-season, 2023.

At some point the buck needs to stop with the man that assembled this coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ya, TBH, I really didn't like the article that much. I do however agree with it's conclusions.

Is McD a control freak that has infected the freedom of our offense? It seems likely

Has McD struggled to either hire qualified or get along/build with his assistant coaches? Unequivocally

Has McD put players in the best position to win with his on down and clock management? Unequivocally no

It stands to reason he is at serious risk of losing this team. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

If the Bills won the Superbowl in 2021, we wouldn't be talking about how McD ruined the Bills lol.

We can both play that game.

He is paid to make decisions that work out in the teams best interests. Pointing out that things would be different if he did his job better? Sort of the point isn't it?

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It just feels like the writing is on the wall for McDermott, and holding onto him another season would be delaying the inevitable.

As others have pointed out, he's now fired a special teams coordinator, (possibly) a defensive coordinator, and two offensive coordinators. The third offensive coordinator left of his own accord, but clearly has a fractured relationship with McDermott.

It's hard to see how someone who has overseen that much turnover is suddenly gonna right the ship and once again oversee a stable, winning coaching staff.

Further, the thing I agree with most strongly and find most damning is that for a guy that preaches accountability so loudly and so often, McDermott sure seems to lack it.

The way he responded to 13 seconds (or, more accurately, DIDN'T respond to it) -- the way he completely refused to take ownership, the way he refused to quash the loud chorus of discontent among fans and media by simply standing at the front of the room and being a man and saying "it all comes down to me, I'm the head man and I didn't get the job done" immediately changed my opinion on him, and has had me watching his actions with suspicion ever since. Nothing he has done since that time has shown him to practice what he preaches with regard to accountability.

I hope the Bills can turn it around, go on a run, and make some noise in the playoffs, because the Bills winning football games is always the number one thing I root for. But failing that? I hope Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane have the stones to "relieve Sean McDermott of his duties", because I think I've finally seen enough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes and everybody with the exception of Dawkins & Torrence are terrible.  Morse is no where near the center he was in KC.  You've basically just listed a bunch of garbage olineman that validate our poor OL ranking since 2018.  Come on Chan....it's about quality,  not quanity.

Then say they didn’t get enough good linemen, not “refused to draft” them. 

47 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

My reading isn't that anyone blamed Daboll, it's that he and McDermott didn't see eye to eye, which is why he jumped at the HC opportunity. 

He jumped at HC opportunities because almost everyone does.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the argument about the effect of McDermott's proclivities on Josh Allen is plausible.

I also believe that folks have innate tendencies that don't change. McDermott would be happier with a Bob Griese at qb,

given his psychology and preferred football strategies. The Bills need to draft more o-line and wr early. And they need a gifted offensive playcaller as HC.

Go get Ben Johnson, Terry Pegula, and stop risking ruining the once-in-a-lifetime franchise qb you were fortunate enough to draft.

• Like (+1) 2

I can appreciate the "outsiders" insight, and unfortunately I'm on my work laptop, so I can't access the entire article... That said the author is conflating the loss in the 2020 AFC Championship game with the 13 Seconds loss in 2021.  

If you're going to make a valid point anywhere, at least verify that you have your facts straight.  And wasn't this the same guy who stated that the Bills "running backs room is in shambles" prior to this season?

• Like (+1) 1

Off topic, I guess, but I was just reading about the Texans' OC, Bobby Slowik, and drooling at the thought of this type of offensive creativity in Buffalo.

Since the Bobby Slowiks and Ben Johnsons of the world can't make a lateral move at OC and thus could only come to Buffalo as head coach, well, it brings us back to the notion of letting McDermott go and bringing in someone new.

To wit:

"Slowik has given Stroud the confidence to push the ball downfield with exceptional spacing and three-level route combinations, while injecting a screen threat and gradually establishing the physicality on the ground customary to any balanced modern attack.

He is utilising Dalton Schultz as the seam focal point of 3x2 empty spread looks with double flat and hitch routes that open up the middle of the field for the tight end, and drawing on the snappy release and accuracy of Stroud in smash fade concepts on the outside. His twins formation (two receivers lined up on one side) have meanwhile hopped between double-dig routes with a checkdown option, a one-out-one-in split with a checkdown option, and double-out floods that manipulate the nearest hook/curl linebacker.

Without boasting an embarrassment of offensive riches, Slowik is putting Stroud in positions to be himself and to, ultimately, succeed. He is dialling up trick play running back throws and side-arm flips passes near the goalline; he is freezing defenders with delayed routes and finding ways to turn Nico Collins into a problem downfield."

I mean..."giving [his quarterback] the confidence to push the ball downfield with exceptional spacing and three-level route combinations", "utilizing [his tight end] as the seam focal point of 3x2 empty spread looks", and "putting [his QB] in positions to be himself and to...succeed" "without an embarrassment of riches"...

How welcome does all of THAT sound right about now?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Probably fired Dorsey because he thought we should have run the ball even more the other night

I will criticize McDermott as much as anyone, but the bolded is objectively true. Every drive that we stopped running the ball was a bust. Our best looking drive of the night featured zero pass plays.

I don't understand the resistance to running the ball on here. Look at the highest scoring offenses in the league this year and you'll see an elite run game. It's the natural response to how defenses across the league are now playing.

• Like (+1) 3

Logic - great find, hard to argue facts. While some people may not agree, it really boils down to head coach, and lets be honest here - got lucky, drafted a QB that is generational talent and if Allen was a bust, we'd still be hoping for wildcard births while sitting in the middle of the pack every year. 

Thanks for the read brother  

This is all I need to know about Sean Mc*****Face from this article. He will never change at being wimpy and playing not to lose. Josh Allen's prime years are being wasted by this loser:

"Allen finished the 2020 season ranking:

#1 in passing success rate (54%)

#3 in EPA/dropback (+0.19)

#5 in completion rate (69.2%)

Threw 37 touchdowns (#5 most) with only 10 interceptions (the NFL’s #7 best TD:INT ratio)

The Bills won in the Wild Card Round.

The Bills won in the Divisional Round.

But the Bills fell short to the defending Super Bowl Champion Chiefs in the Conference Championship Round.

It should be noted that the Bills led 9-0 in the AFC Championship Game before allowing 3 TDs. They were trailing 21-9 with a 4th & goal from the KC four-yard line, and McDermott opted to kick a 20-yard FG to trail 21-12 at halftime.

In the third quarter, he opted to kick a FG on 4th & 3 at the KC eight-yard-line to cut a 12-point deficit to 9 points.

That wasn’t on Brian Daboll. That wasn’t on Josh Allen. Those were Sean McDermott’s decisions."

• Like (+1) 1

Answer to the two high safety zone ?

let Josh Run and have options challenging those safeties to make a choice. Let Josh gash you and stay home in deep coverage. Commit to cut Josh off and he wrecks you deep. Dorsey lost his job because he would not adapt. Stayed with the same tired predictable offense. No creativity at all. Hope Brady can adjust.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Then say they didn’t get enough good linemen, not “refused to draft” them. 

He jumped at HC opportunities because almost everyone does.

Ok, I can play this game too Chans....Sean didn't select Beane as GM....Beane didn't do a poor job drafting quality olineman,  giving Josh a fighting chance at a run game since 2018.  None of this comes back to Sean because in your eyes he's untouchable.  Got it.....

46 minutes ago, Chaos said:

One can argue the details. But Sharp has accurately identified the key problem. 

Nothing many of us didn’t already know but I like some of the supporting detail he put around it.

McD has always been a control freak. He is set in his philosophy. I was frankly shocked that he let Daboll open up the offense in 2020 or it’s possible that Daboll went rogue, thus the friction between them. And there is no doubt in my mind that he had a hand in Dorsey’s offense. And I’m pretty sure I know what will happen with Brady’s offense….

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ok, I can play this game too Chans....Sean didn't select Beane as GM....Beane didn't do a poor job drafting quality olineman,  giving Josh a fighting chance at a run game since 2018.  None of this comes back to Sean because in your eyes he's untouchable.  Got it.....

I didn’t say he was untouchable.

if you want to present some arguments that he needs to get fired, I probably won’t disagree with a lot of them. But it’s silly to be a part of the mob mentality and spout things that don’t stand up to even basic scrutiny.

10 minutes ago, Jukester said:

Nothing many of us didn’t already know but I like some of the supporting detail he put around it.

McD has always been a control freak. He is set in his philosophy. I was frankly shocked that he let Daboll open up the offense in 2020 or it’s possible that Daboll went rogue, thus the friction between them. And there is no doubt in my mind that he had a hand in Dorsey’s offense. And I’m pretty sure I know what will happen with Brady’s offense….

At this point, with McDermott's seat getting hotter and the offense not working well enough so far this season, why would he meddle in Brady's offense when while he was meddling (if he was), it wasn't working?  And if it continues not to work, he'll probably be fired.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes and everybody with the exception of Dawkins & Torrence are terrible.  Morse is no where near the center he was in KC.

That must be why his fellow players in the NFLPA recently voted him as the 5th best center in the entire league.

But I'm sure you know better than the guys he goes up against every week. <_<

• Thank you (+1) 1

Couldn’t finish reading it, seems like bad fanfic. No issue moving away from McDermott, but this article seems crap.  Even the fans used to cry when we ran Josh. Whatever, dude got his engagement with this *****.  We barely ducking run the ball and he spends multiple paragraphs talking about our focus on it, lol

I wish Beane would see these points  and realize it’s McD that’s killing this team and the one who forced the SB window closed with his stubbornness. The OL has played great this year though, so I can’t get on board with that. I will say McD is ruining Allen and wasting his prime years 

Edited by PauleeeWalnuts

2 hours ago, juno999 said:

I would add that Daboll held Allen accountable.  As fans, we saw it on the sidelines at times.

I think McD doesn't want Allen to run out of fear of injury.  I get it to some degree but Allen needs to run some in order to give the defense something else to defend.  Bills offense is too vanilla right now.

Nobody wants Allen taking unnecessary hits. But he can make much better use of his mobility and playmaking ability than he has in Dorsey’s offence. Its not that he can’t execute from the pocket. He can and should. Nor does it mean that the Bills shouldn’t rely on their RBs more.

He has the ability to be creative as a playmaker with the ball in his hands outside the pocket. I think as a physical player he needs that to get the best out of his game. This doesn’t make him a running back, just a more impactful quarterback. 

3 hours ago, warrior9 said:

The funny thing about all of this is Josh is having the lowest percentage of turnover worthy throws in his career with the highest completion percentage.

This is a result of us doing what the fans have wanted and going all short passing all the time. It's great for completion percentage but it also creates long meticulous drives with a lot of chances for something to go wrong. Defenses have no reason to fear this group of pass catchers getting behind them so they can squat on short and intermediate routes which means they're getting tackled at the catch point. The margin for error is too low in that kind of offensive structure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a result of us doing what the fans have wanted and going all short passing all the time. It's great for completion percentage but it also creates long meticulous drives with a lot of chances for something to go wrong. Defenses have no reason to fear this group of pass catchers getting behind them so they can squat on short and intermediate routes which means they're getting tackled at the catch point. The margin for error is too low in that kind of offensive structure.

People were SCREAMING last year for fewer deep shots, higher comp%, more checkdowns

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

People were SCREAMING last year for fewer deep shots, higher comp%, more checkdowns

They still are! 70% completion percentage, 3rd highest in the league even with all of the drops, and they want him to take LESS risks. It's crazy.

It's a no-win situation with this personnel though. We can't throw the ball downfield, and our pass catchers have no YAC potential. Basically our only avenue to success is run the ball effectively and try to work down the field meticulously.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I didn’t say he was untouchable.

if you want to present some arguments that he needs to get fired, I probably won’t disagree with a lot of them. But it’s silly to be a part of the mob mentality and spout things that don’t stand up to even basic scrutiny.

I've been giving arguments for him to get fired since 13 seconds.  I'm tired trying to convince the hard core McD supporters to "see the obvious".  And why is it when over 80% of Bills fans now want him replaced,  that becomes a mob mentality?  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.