Special Teams Staff

ngbills

How do they get a free pass? The unit has been weak all season. Last night they were just as guilty in losing the game. The 12 man is just part of it, there were also two terrible punts that gave DEN the ball at the 48 resulting in a TD and another at the 46 that was DEN other TD. So both crappy 17 net punts giving DEN the ball at midfield and the only TD's of the night. 

• Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How do they get a free pass? The unit has been weak all season. Last night they were just as guilty in losing the game. The 12 man is just part of it, there were also two terrible punts that gave DEN the ball at the 48 resulting in a TD and another at the 46 that was DEN other TD. So both crappy 17 net punts giving DEN the ball at midfield and the only TD's of the night. 

Who is this punter who kicks short line drives. He can’t kick in cold windy climates and our HC gets burned every week by him. Our punt coverage team doesn’t lock up .and takes bad angles. That’s why our defense deserves credit, they made up for some sloppy football last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Or the 40 yard kickoff return with 5 missed tackles.  

I guess you can’t start firing and cutting everyone because then the finger only gets pointed back at 1 person, but short of a turnaround miracle McDermott will be gone come January.  This is all just window  dressing and McDermott having earned the right to coach for his job the next 7 games.  

26 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The irony is the broadcast had celebrated our Special Teams coach earlier in the evening, as he is a veteran.

Punting isn't about line drives.  I can live with those.  BUT THEY CAN'T BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD!!!  It gives the PR too many options.  Pin them to one side of the field, and the sideline is your friend.  Any punt that Martin doesn't get downed inside the 20 is straight down the middle.  I said it last night in the GDT, time for the Bills to make it right with Araiza.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

I still say the Bills should pursue the exonerated Matt Araiza. Just because he was a horn-dog at 21 doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to get an NFL job now.  I have news for everyone, all the pro athletes are horn dogs!

This was the biggest event in Matt Araiza's life; this would also just have been another Wednesday for Jim Kelly. Bring him back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

We need a new punter. He has horrible punts at the worst times.

I thought it was idiotic that they kept punting the ball to their returner. Kick away from him. He was killing us all night.

Obviously the 12 men on the field call was atrocious.

Really bad all around on special teams yesterday.

24 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

I still say the Bills should pursue the exonerated Matt Araiza. Just because he was a horn-dog at 21 doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to get an NFL job now.  I have news for everyone, all the pro athletes are horn dogs!

If you’re a healthy, fit athlete in your early 20s, plenty of $$, nice wheels, …lots of very attractive women will be available for your pleasure. You’re either a horn dog or just not into chicks. Not too many other choices. 

Edited by SoMAn

48 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Punting isn't about line drives.  I can live with those.  BUT THEY CAN'T BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD!!!  It gives the PR too many options.  Pin them to one side of the field, and the sideline is your friend.  Any punt that Martin doesn't get downed inside the 20 is straight down the middle.  I said it last night in the GDT, time for the Bills to make it right with Araiza.

It’s the only way to lift the curse. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

Obviously the 12 men on the field call was atrocious.

It was un ***** believable it wasn't a guy who just couldn't get off the field in time, the 12 were right there in the middle of the field like they all thought they were supposed to be there, we also had timeouts though it would probably have functioned the exact same way of giving them two tries at the FG.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just b/c no one was fired TODAY doesn't mean they get a free pass.

Most of this change should come at the end of the season; they will also all be gone automatically if McDermott is gone.

Have to see how things develop.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Who is this punter who kicks short line drives. He can’t kick in cold windy climates and our HC gets burned every week by him. Our punt coverage team doesn’t lock up .and takes bad angles. That’s why our defense deserves credit, they made up for some sloppy football last night.

Yes our ST is incredibly weak beyond Bass.  Punt coverage is either missing tackles or falling over each other.  Mims had a field day last night.  We're lucky if Shakir can return a kick to the 18.  It's a very weak unit and Cam Lewis is not worth what we're paying him.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just terrible some of guys that the Bills pay decent money and only play special teams

14 minutes ago, gjv said:

If the Bills fired or cut everyone associated with the team for a bonehead play this year, they would have to suit up Terry Pegula and 21 of his closest friends.

At least Terry wouldn't play 8 yards off the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Just terrible some of guys that the Bills pay decent money and only play special teams

Another egregious mistake this staff has continued to practice.  Find a bunch of league minimum backups to play ST.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes our ST is incredibly weak beyond Bass.  Punt coverage is either missing tackles or falling over each other.  Mims had a field day last night.  We're lucky if Shakir can return a kick to the 18.  It's a very weak unit and Cam Lewis is not worth what we're paying him.

Other than Oliver, can you name a player who stands out as having a difference making year. Jones and Milano were productive for 1/3 of the season and Diggs is an All Pro, but this roster is full of old guys that aren’t great. Cook and Kincaid will be stars but we haven’t run it enough and until Knox went down, Kincaid wasn’t involved. Beane never replaced Hines as a return guy and the offense is Josh making plays as he gets flushed. Now Douglas is good add but our safeties are injury prone and older. We need a really good off season to build talent but the Miller signing hurts, and Josh’s #balloons next year. 

7 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Other than Oliver, can you name a player who stands out as having a difference making year. Jones and Milano were productive for 1/3 of the season and Diggs is an All Pro, but this roster is full of old guys that aren’t great. Cook and Kincaid will be stars but we haven’t run it enough and until Knox went down, Kincaid wasn’t involved. Beane never replaced Hines as a return guy and the offense is Josh making plays as he gets flushed. Now Douglas is good add but our safeties are injury prone and older. We need a really good off season to build talent but the Miller signing hurts, and Josh’s #balloons next year. 

Other then Allen/Diggs the roster is filled with averaged talented players.  Some me a player with freak level talent or skills that can just take over games

17 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Other then Allen/Diggs the roster is filled with averaged talented players.  Some me a player with freak level talent or skills that can just take over games

There aren’t any players that can do that but how many Chase, AJ Brown, Lamb, Jefferson, Hill or McCaffreys are there. I don’t know that you need one of those to win rather a multitude productive players.

14 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

There aren’t any players that can do that but how many Chase, AJ Brown, Lamb, Jefferson, Hill or McCaffreys are there. I don’t know that you need one of those to win rather a multitude productive players.

Look at the difference in SF when Deebo Samuels plays.  His presence on the field makes a big difference in the way Purdy plays, even when he's being pressured...although that occurs less when Trent Williams plays.

The 12 man debacle was just mind blowing, as the Bills had just used TWO timeouts (After the PI on Johnson was called, the Bills called TOs after Denver’s 1st down and 2nd down kneel downs by Wilson). So they obviously knew the FG was coming up very soon, and they had plenty of time during the two TOs to “get their ducks in a row”, yet they didn’t.

Seems obvious to me that one player screwed up big time. I assume that the FG defensive unit is always the same 11 guys, so unless one of those guys was injured, who was the 12th guy who shouldn’t have been out there? Or maybe the FG defensive unit is just whatever 11 guys are out there on 3rd down? Who knows, but I would like an explanation, just for s**ts & giggles.

OK, I just rewatched the end of the game. After Wilson did a kneel down on 3rd down, the Broncos had to run their FG team out there (as the clock was running) and the Bills ran at least FIVE guys from the sideline out there, so they must have a designated FG defensive unit.

Edited by Bob Jones

37 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

The 12 man debacle was just mind blowing, as the Bills had just used TWO timeouts (After the PI on Johnson was called, the Bills called TOs after Denver’s 1st down and 2nd down kneel downs by Wilson). So they obviously knew the FG was coming up very soon, and they had plenty of time during the two TOs to “get their ducks in a row”, yet they didn’t.

Seems obvious to me that one player screwed up big time. I assume that the FG defensive unit is always the same 11 guys, so unless one of those guys was injured, who was the 12th guy who shouldn’t have been out there? Or maybe the FG defensive unit is just whatever 11 guys are out there on 3rd down? Who knows, but I would like an explanation, just for s**ts & giggles.

OK, I just rewatched the end of the game. After Wilson did a kneel down on 3rd down, the Broncos had to run their FG team out there (as the clock was running) and the Bills ran at least FIVE guys from the sideline out there, so they must have a designated FG defensive unit.

All good observations but as I’ve been saying, why were the Bills doing ANY of that? None of it made any strategic sense at all!  They didn’t have enough time outs to delay the Broncos and get the ball back. They saw that Denver was content where they were. And finally there was ZERO reason to sub anyone in at all! If the kicker misses the field goal, or if it’s blocked….you win! The Bills could’ve literally sat on their hands. Unbelievably poor game management on the part of McD. He should be gone! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Up until the PI was called on Johnson, the Bills were in good shape. It was 3rd and 10 from about midfield when the PI was called, and that stopped the clock at :35, and then the Broncs had the ball at the 17 yard line. The Broncs had no timeouts going into the 3rd down, so once they got the PI and were down in easy FG range, it did make sense for McD to try and save time (by calling those 2 TOs after 1st & 2nd downs) in the hopes that Denver might spike the ball on 3rd, make the FG and then kickoff to the Bills with about 20 secs. left. ALSO, they could have fumbled the snap on 2nd & 3rd down.....stranger things have happened. In THIS instance, using those final 2 TOs did make sense, but as it turned out, Denver ran another kneel down play on 3rd down, ensuring that the clock would keep running and it would leave the Bills with very little time after the made FG anyway (was 4 seconds left when the first FG went wide right).

Edited by Bob Jones

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

They directly cost the team the Jets game too. Smiley will be gone after the season. I doubt he’ll get a pass.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It was un ***** believable it wasn't a guy who just couldn't get off the field in time, the 12 were right there in the middle of the field like they all thought they were supposed to be there, we also had timeouts though it would probably have functioned the exact same way of giving them two tries at the FG.

We sign free agents because they are good on special teams…I guess they all just wanted to get in the game.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just resign Matt Ariza the ,  Sam Martin never really got noticed last season because out offence did not have so many 3 & outs. Martin has been very average and not very effective in flipping the field. 

13 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Special teams was a mess yesterday.  There does need to be some accountability here.

I think it's been a mess all season. The punt and kick coverage has been really bad, but beyond that the blocking on punt and kick returns is worse. They're constantly returning the ball and getting to short of the 20 on kicks and get very little of anything on punt returns. This is after they signed a former all pro returner. 

11 hours ago, gjv said:

I would think that bringing  Matt Araiza in for a tryout is the right thing to do, both morally and perhaps for the betterment of the team.

This.  If nothing else it would show the league that the Bills consider him rehabilitated, even if they don't sign him.

I have a lot of trouble with teams cutting players on the basis of unproven allegations.  I think my high school civics teacher used to talk about "innocent until proven guilty" (or some other quaint 18th century expression) but I guess that doesn't apply in sports.

so let’s be clear D and O coordinators fired in last 10 months. And why isn’t Smiley fired??? 

Nobody wants to be McD coordinator today. 

So.  No way McD lasts past January. It’s either him or Diggs. I think we’re at that ugly place. 

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.