Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, honestly. Maybe it would be better if he was just the DC, but I think he's clearly built a winning culture, which is huge. And I don't know where everyone gets off blaming him for dropped balls, interceptions, fumbles and missed tackles. It's not an NFL head coach's job to teach fundamentals - this isn't Pop Warner. No, McD is not the best situational strategist, but his defense has performed admirably this year in the wake of a massive wave of injuries, plus their having to spend 2/3 of every game on the field because the O can't hold onto the ball. 

I am fully willing to accept that the troubles on Offense are more on Dorsey and the players than McDermott. If you want to fire McDermott for hiring Dorsey and other sub-standard assistants in the first place, I guess that's one way to look at it. But I don't blame him for the poor performance on the field. 

And I can't believe everyone is acting like the 12 men on the field thing is the reason why the Bills lost the game last night. It's like blaming Scott Norwood for losing SB 25 to Jeff Hostetler's Giants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

If he were to become available, it would be great if Pegula went all in on hiring Harbaugh out of Michigan. Dude resurrected Alex Smiths career, got Kaepernick paid and actually had his team , the 49ers, in a Super Bowl where they pretty much lost because the league wanted the Ravens to win in Ray Lewis's final season. The Super Bowl was very close and basically one or two plays cost them. His 49ers team also almost went to a back to back super bowl but lost on a final play against the champion Seahawks......McDermott has never come this close.

Plus Harbaugh is willing to cheat if necessary and seeing as the league doesn't really care about punishing cheating (or else the Pats would have been stripped of super bowls and the league wouldn't be so hard in favoring the Chiefs right now such as in the Vikings game) , I say give it a try. Precedent is if we get caught later, as long as the super bowl trophy is ours, ***** don't matter. Allen and the Bills will then be much more marketable. Eric Cartman made a valid point about cheating in South Park and I say we take this up if necessary ..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

So let me get this straight, everyone wants to fire the coach that has taken us to the playoffs 5 out of 6 years and won the division 3 years in a row all because we are 5 - 5 just over the halfway mark this year (who has a .639 winning %).

I believe McDermott is a victim of his own success as Bills fans now expect so much more. Late 90's, 00's and 10's fans be like D amn you be upset because of what now !!!

Holly recency bias Batman!  

• Like (+1) 1

His time has come and passed. He still drives the ship and the offense certainly felt his influence this year and in general the team seems to no longer be responding to him.

24' offseason will realistically define what happens to Allen long term in terms of talent around him. He is in the prime of his career and probably has 5-6 good-great years left before hitting 33-34 when QBs really start to slow. They have 9 picks and can open upwards of 40-50 mil in capspace while realistically letting some long term vets leave also. At this point I don't think McD should get another kick at the can with that type of resources to reshape the roster and coach. You can finally get an offensive head coach to see if they can max what Josh does and the offense rather then risking every few years a new OC whether fired or hired elsewhere. 

All of that mixed with it looks like the program is past its prime and Marvin Lewis esq in terms of ceiling makes me want to do the change when it still is prime.

I think he's (McD) a top rate defensive mind and just needs a really strong up and coming OC to complement him. I think the dropoff from Daboll to Dorsey was bigger than we wanted to admit. Let's face it, it was such a nice narrative to have continuity between Allen and Dorsey. 

As much as McDermott is not perfect, I think he's good enough with the right OC and personnel. One more year's worth of draft picks with an established OC would be my preference. Also, Beane/McD seem like a package deal and I'm not sure I'm ready to start anew (remembering past GMs and coaches makes me think we're better with the devil we know).

Edited by Ballhawk

Dorsey is gone.  No more blame the OC. McD ought to give someone the defense on game day and he should focus on being the head coach.  Let's see what happens on Sunday, if he can turn chicken sh$t into chicken salad then we will know what the problem was.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We will find out if Dorsey was the problem on offense.  If we don’t see a change after terminating Dorsey, then the house needs to be cleaned.

Lotta people gonna be REALLY disappointed when the turnovers continue.

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Lotta people gonna be REALLY disappointed when the turnovers continue.

It’s not going to magically change, he needs more than 6 days in season to put his fingerprints on this offense. Maybe we get lucky.

My hope is for a more focused offense and better situational playcalling. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

I don't know. I am leaning towards no. In part because this is an old roster and I am at the stage where I don't think we can win with it. So why bother keeping a Head Coach and General Manager who at best would be in the last chance saloon for the start of a reload / mini-rebuild?

On McDermott specifically I also think the DC / HC jobshare has been a failure. He is not doing either job as well as he is capable of as a result. And I just don't see him swallowing his pride and giving the play calling up. 

I will however repeat I remain sceptical of the view that swap out coaching and everything is rosey. I think the Bills have roster issues and Quarterback who is struggling mentally. I think fresh leadership could trigger a reset. But it is absolutely not a given. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know. I am leaning towards no. In part because this is an old roster and I am at the stage where I don't think we can win with it. So why bother keeping a Head Coach and General Manager who at best would be in the last chance saloon for the start of a reload / mini-rebuild?

On McDermott specifically I also think the DC / HC jobshare has been a failure. He is not doing either job as well as he is capable of as a result. And I just don't see him swallowing his pride and giving the play calling up. 

I will however repeat I remain sceptical of the view that swap out coaching and everything is rosey. I think the Bills have roster issues and Quarterback who is struggling mentally. I think fresh leadership could trigger a reset. But it is absolutely not a given. 

I agree with this.  

We are in a transition period with the roster, in 2024.  Alot of critical decisions, likely some vets being let go/not retained.

Its a better time to make a head coach switch.  

That said, McD is a good defensive coach.  My opinion, but he's held together a group that's had unbelievable injuries to key players/groomed a new starting MLB, and we lacked speed already in the secondary.  He has his flaws, gets too aggressive/veteran players sometimes given roles over younger, more talented players (he'd rather have assigment sound players).  I think we would have seen a top 5 unit, if we stayed healthy.

But the tradeoff is much greater to find an offensive minded head coach, and get a fresh def coordinator (more options there)

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What did you think about sending the house on that 3rd and 10?  It was stupid wasn't it?  I generally am not too emotional during Bills games, I mean I celebrate TD's but when a bad play happens, I just roll my eyes....when I saw McDermott bringing everyone - I screamed profanity so loud my dogs thought they were in trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

My answer is no, but only if they can lock in someone who has a solid chance of being better.

Firing anyone without that, even todays, is stupid without someone better to step in.  

The BS firing today satisfies some fans blood lust, nothing more.

Edited by CodeMonkey

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What did you think about sending the house on that 3rd and 10?  It was stupid wasn't it?  I generally am not too emotional during Bills games, I mean I celebrate TD's but when a bad play happens, I just roll my eyes....when I saw McDermott bringing everyone - I screamed profanity so loud my dogs thought they were in trouble.

Yep. Awful call. 

No I don’t think so. Appreciate what he’s done but I think we’re all realizing now or should be realizing that we have gone as far as can with him. He is an upgraded Marvin Lewis. Thats OK, it happens. Now will pegula be smart enough to realize it is the question? He might give him a shot to get out of this mess. You have to remember that beane will most likely have to go too, they are a package deal. I would be shocked if McDermott were fired and beane wasn’t as well

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

For the small minority that still believes McD should be the head coach here next year....I'd love to know your reason for this without citing the previous 17 years before he came here or the lucky 4th down TD by the Bengals that sent the Bills to the playoffs in 2017.

62% career winning percentage, 3 Division titles in 4 years. 4 straight double digit win seasons. Only one losing season and that was a rebuild year with a new QB, Defense has consistently been a top ten 10 unit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

No I don’t think so. Appreciate what he’s done but I think we’re all realizing now or should be realizing that we have gone as far as can with him. He is an upgraded Marvin Lewis. Thats OK, it happens. Now will pegula be smart enough to realize it is the question? He might give him a shot to get out of this mess. You have to remember that beane will most likely have to go too, they are a package deal. I would be shocked if McDermott were fired and beane wasn’t as well

I love that a majority of fans consider Beane / McDermott a package deal.  That just validates how Sean must have influenced draft picks over the years.  Besides McD was always the alpha.

For Christs sake give the guy some respect for where he has brought this team . He and his ways have brought a new stadium to WNY & i feel his leadership has helped immensely in bringing that new building for the fans & the team .

Things have changed since Dabol left . Could last years offense be the result of  a all Dabol Offensive scheme with Dorcey running it & this year is the real Dorcey Offense ? 

Kind of looks like that to me in some ways . It's been like he would find something that worked real good & not use it or any version of it again on the next opponent .

Each year McD & Beane for all that matters learn from the year before and with change i guess some pain must come with it . Brady was brought in because of his history & being one of the possible young up & comers so now is how time to take a hold of the chance & bust it !! 

But this has to stop somewhere .

15 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

My answer is no, but only if they can lock in someone who has a solid chance of being better.

Firing anyone without that, even todays, is stupid without someone better to step in.  

The BS firing today satisfies some fans blood lust, nothing more.

The firing had to be done.  This offense hasn't been at its potential in over a year now.  It wasn't getting better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, boater said:

This is a question better asked at the end of the season. 

Everybody has an emotional hot head today, that's a piss poor time to be making big decisions.

Has nothing to do with emotion; McDermott has needed to go for quite a while now.  It's just that some of us see it sooner than others.

Hell, I said Dorsey would be fired at the end of this season at the end of LAST season...got that right too, just had the timing a bit off.

• Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The firing had to be done.  This offense hasn't been at its potential in over a year now.  It wasn't getting better.

I agree with the bolded part.  But is this interim OC going to make big changes and turn the offense around?  Why fire someone mid season without a better replacement is my point.  It does nothing to help the team except but put a few dollars back in Pegulas pocket.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

No team in the history of the NFL ever won a Super Bowl where its the same HC and QB together for 5 years. One of them has to go. It's not Josh Allen 

I think it's time that Bills Mafia hire out every billboard in Buffalo, simply with this message!

Shows as a fanbase that we support our Unicorn QB, and recognizes that we can't waste his prime years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Absolutely not.

Too many preventable meltdowns in close games... many of them in bizarre fashion.  I have zero faith in McDermott or anyone he puts in his staff to keep things buttoned up.

There are also legitimate questions that he butted heads with dabol's aggressive offense and is hell bent on trying to return to 1978 football

When the interim OC looks as terrible as Dorsey, we'll know it was McDermott.

And that will be Pegula's cue to replace McD at year's end.

Not sure he is smart enough to pick up the cue, however.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is a time and place for the poll that will skew it toward reactionary takes, but even so, it seems to be apparent that McDermott's Process has a life-cycle, and that cycle is past it's peak. He righted the ship like Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, and Marv Levy before him but is regressing from his high-water mark and showing an inexplicable tendency to coach his way into losses, not with one big mistake, but with just barely enough little mistakes to ultimately fail.

.500 (and one uncalled PI from 4-6) with a franchise QB and the talent on the roster, and to lose 4 of those games the way he did to the Jets, Patriots, Jaguars and now the Broncos? That's damning.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

This is a time and place for the poll that will skew it toward reactionary takes, but even so, it seems to be apparent that McDermott's Process has a life-cycle, and that cycle is past it's peak. He righted the ship like Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, and Marv Levy before him but is regressing from his high-water mark and showing an inexplicable tendency to coach his way into losses, not with one big mistake, but with just barely enough little mistakes to ultimately fail.

.500 (and one uncalled PI from 4-6) with a franchise QB and the talent on the roster, and to lose 4 of those games the way he did to the Jets, Patriots, Jaguars and now the Broncos? That's damning.

You said it perfectly. Nothing more to be added.

Sometimes, it's just time for a fresh start. It feels like the Bills and McDermott have reached that point. 

Let McD go turn around another franchise, like the Panthers. Let the Bills be re-invigorated by a new coaching staff.

It's time. It's what's best for both parties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The sooner that beady-eyed, arrogant little Jesus freak is gone, the better. 

He sucks. And he’s the reason the Bills suck. 

I hope his dick falls off tonight. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 3

I’ve been saying for a while now, he has taken this team as far as he can. We are always getting out coached! 

This won’t be popular but I think this team can run the table and lose the rest of the games and that should be enough to get him fired! That is what I’m rooting for for the rest of the season. 

they only win 2 games at best anyway, might as well go all out to leave ownership no choice but to clean house.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

As of right now.  No.  That could change by the end of the year. I hope that it does.

I’m just gonna be sick if we do fire him and Ben Johnson goes to the chargers

Terry better have Ben Johnson on speed dial. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.