DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

2 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Can we fire John Butler to not teaching our corners to turn around and find the ball ? 

I am a Penn State guy the and less I have to think about John Butler the happier I am.

(also Taron Johnson should be mad at bow badly he got beat off the LOS not the DPI call. Hell don’t even blame McDermott. That’s a big legged kicker. Get them ALL the way out. Taron Johnson should know the only way he gets beat in 2 seconds in a cover 0 is over the top. Like it is unfathomable he gets off the LOS in that situation)

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Given that a big part of our problem is Josh Allen right now, I am wondering who had a bigger negative effect on Josh - the OC (Dorsey) or the QB Coach (Brady).

I guess we will find out shortly.

I'm sure if the GM and Coach felt like Brady was having a negative impact he'd be gone as well 

48 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Defense was not really a problem until they played the WHOLE GAME defending short fields.

Agree with this. Despite 4 turnovers, the Broncos only got 6 points from them.

Look at the time of possession. The defense was gassed. Tough to put that loss all on them.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

This year alone the Bills have lost to the Rodgers-less Jets, the Jags, the Pats and the Broncos. They haven't lost to a team that's worse than them in terms of personnel? Really?

You just changed your goal posts from playoffs to regular season 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Taking an organization who hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years, and then getting them to the playoffs 5 of 6 years is a huge accomplishment.  Anyone who says otherwise is letting their emotions get in the way of what McDermott has accomplished here.  

This is true and is why McD should get a shot at turning this around. Pegula owes him that much and the Bills will need to win at lest 5 of their last 7 games to win the Division and make the playoffs. 

At the same time it's been clear since "13 seconds" that McD has reached his professional plateau.  He will never coach the Bills to a Super Bowl and he's on the cusp of ruining a generational QB talent in Allen.  If he screws Allen up McD will be the reason the Bills enter another decade long period of frustration and losing. Since I don't expect the Bills to win the division (which is their only realistic way to make the playoffs) I expect McD will be fired at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It's going to sound harsh, but Josh cost Dorsey his job. 

Dorsey has had plenty of issues, but he didn't make Josh & Co. turn the ball over so many times... It got to the point where fans were saying Josh was throwing the game.

Dorsey's gameplan was actually solid last night. Execution sunk it. Receivers dropping passes, poor decision making, fumbles on top of INTs... all soured huge improvements to the run game & overall balanced approach.

OK, so stick to the run game. Don't throw the ball when the QB and receivers are so out of sync and the Broncos couldn't stop the run. So what did they do? Return to the pass game.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

At least re yesterday, the problems were with execution not really the coaching on the O side. We had 3 fumbles, 2 picks, 1 near pick, and like 5

drops. 

Forcing pass plays instead of taking advantage of the run game, which was working, was madness.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Taking an organization who hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years, and then getting them to the playoffs 5 of 6 years is a huge accomplishment.  Anyone who says otherwise is letting their emotions get in the way of what McDermott has accomplished here.  

He cleaned up a mess, and he also had a once in a generation QB talent land in his lap. 

They peaked in the 2020 season with the AFC Title Game. 2021 season was 13 seconds (Divisional round) and 2022 season was a wildcard beatdown at home. 2023 season will likely be no playoffs at all.

That's 4 years where the team went backwards. Now the defense is old, broken down and expensive, and we have a defensive HC who seems to want to spend most of the assets on defense instead of surrounding the QB with weapons. 

This only ends one way. The only question is how many of Allen's prime years we waste. 

Being paired with a defensive minded HC is a major disadvantage for Josh Allen that the other top QBs do not have.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, boater said:

All these people celebrating "McDermott on the hot seat"  ...LOL.

He's on no hot seat. He has a guaranteed contract through 2027. He's not sweating anything.

Dig another oil well Terry, 'this isnt a money grabbing venture'. chalk it up as a loss. ill root for mcd elsewhere!

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Part of me wonders is the issue with Diggs was that he decided to speak to someone like Beane or even Pegula about McDermott on behalf of some of the players but Josh didn't back him up.

That might explain his reaction after "meetings" this offseason. 

Sadly, because of what happened with Josh McDaniels I doubt McDermott would hold a "airing of grievances" meeting at this point. LOL 

If an airing of grievances happens on any other day than December 23rd, it's a very bad sign for who ever is a leader and in charge 

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Have you not watched a single analyst coverage or all 22 from the Bills this year? Our guys have been running wide open all season. Allen isn't throwing to them. He's keying in on his first read like a true freshman running an air raid offense.

That's true too. But the play calls suck and there's no flow to this offense.

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Okay…please explain Mr. Nostradamus 

Pegula loves McD, and believes he is a great leader of men. You don’t believe me, revisit this post come September of next year, and let me know who is standing on the sidelines as the Bills HC. 

Edited by LabattBlue

53 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I thought we witnessed that last night?? Losing to a bad team at home in primetime, with your franchise QB looking like Uncle Rico and your head coach making middle school coaching mistakes.

How dare you? If Uncle Rico had been put in 4th quarter, he would've won state. Learn some football before making asinine comments like that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

Also, wouldn’t go too far with Allen being a problem:

https://x.com/davemyersbib/status/1724459444514456011?s=46&t=b_6DEUCIOVykcHVZYqq8jg

People going after the franchise QB in a passing offense that didn't make any sense are nuts. Talents like Allen are insanely rare and it's up to the coaching staff to match his level of talent.  

Dorsey had to go, I think McDermott ultimately has to go as well because I don't see a path to recovering from these blunders. This is a step in the right direction at least. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You are absolutely wrong on all accounts.  

So the OC - despite being here just a year and a half, is the reason that Allen Has led the league in turnovers sicne he was drafted? It's the reason he has more career fumbles after 5 1/2 years of play than Montana did over 15? He has 127 turnovers in 87 games played. Do you understand how insane that is?

• Disagree 1

It’s a just a bandaid at this point. Mcd was probably not getting fired at this time. My guess is that  Pegula will give him the chance to turn this season around just like he turned around the Franchise.

Of course I don’t see that happening so McDermott will still need  to be removed after the Season. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Not necessarily the "wrong person"...but we all know what he means. McD and him were the problem, McD being the bigger one. 

grain of salt here, spaine has been a problem more than one spot and has direct beef over benching/cut. he immed became a locker room problem

i agree with spain, just think hes the wrong messenger

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

In all honesty, I truly believe Dorsey is being scapegoated.  

McDermott, imo, is the problem and I hope he proves otherwise with a hot streak here to end the season and make the playoffs.

Also, the players, for whatever reason.. are not executing.. at all.   Allen right there with everyone else.. and I hope he understands that he is a big part of the reason that the guy he vouched for to get the OC position, just got fired because of his reckless and careless play this season.  

Allen is the face of the team, and is making far too much money to be throwing the same sideline interception every other game, along with mind numbing plays like the fumble in an attempt to execute a simple handoff. 

Guys like Gabe have been put in a position they are not capable of, and that's on the FO/Staff for believing they could do it.  Someone like Allen has needed to be much better this season, and instead, he's been part of the issues. 

Having a Defensive-minded HC, with musical chairs at OC due to the lack of offensive HC stability, is also likely leading to Allen's regression. 

Is he being scapegoated?? Yes.  Are their deeper problems? Yes. Did he deserve to be fired? YES. It's not always so black and white.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Pegula loves McD, and believes he is a great leader of men. You don’t believe me, revisit this post come September of next year, and let me know who is standing on the sidelines as the Bills HC. 

McD is a great leader, but he’s not a head coach that will win you championships.  

• Agree 1

IMHO

Dorsey deserves some blame

Allen deserves some blame

everyone on offense not named Diggs deserves some blame

in the end Dorsey was the only thing that could be released today, and if things do not improve the rest of the season McD better be shown the door as well.

SEEMS like yesterday so many were worried we would lose Dorsey to a HC job after his 1st season as an OC (which I never understoood)

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Have you not watched a single analyst coverage or all 22 from the Bills this year? Our guys have been running wide open all season. Allen isn't throwing to them. He's keying in on his first read like a true freshman running an air raid offense.

All the analysis I’ve seen shows pitiful route concepts and terrible scheme. Josh isn’t God. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Joe Brady was the "passing game coordinator" and play-caller at LSU when Burrow, Jefferson, and Chase steamrolled all of college football in 2019. Then he got the OC job in Carolina and got fired there, but they had no players besides a very injured CMC.

also that chode coaching Nebraska was in LITERALLY exact scenario McD was in late last night. lets see what the kid has, Carolina fans werent happy he was let go at the time

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So the OC - despite being here just a year and a half, is the reason that Allen Has led the league in turnovers sicne he was drafted? It's the reason he has more career fumbles after 5 1/2 years of play than Montana did over 15? He has 127 turnovers in 87 games played. Do you understand how insane that is?

Dorsey sucks, which is why he was fired.  

• Haha (+1) 1

The necessary move to make.  The Bills are taking the first step in the process to cleaning house.  If Brady comes in and they turn it around, great.  If they dont, I expect McD to be gone, and the Bills become the hottest coaching ticket out there.

Something had to give, and this was the first step

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.