The Ken Dorsey Over/Under HC Interviews Poll

FireChans

How many HC interviews will Dorsey get this offseason?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Over/Under set at 1.5

So we know that the easiest way to get a head coaching position (besides being a waterboy for Mike Shanahan and paying your dues for 30 years) is to be an OC for a team with an established franchise QB. Doesn't matter if the HC is an offensive or defensive guy, if you put out a decent product with a QB who is great, even if they were great without you, you will get looks.

We have seen this prove true over the years. Hackett, Gase, Nagy, McDaniels, Daboll, etc etc etc.

So, in theory, if our offense is actually doing awesome because the EPA/play says so, and our offensive coordinator is actually doing awesome, the expectation would be that he would be a pretty hot head coaching candidate this offseason, right?  The league would recognize it and say, "yeah that Josh Allen is a great player, but that coordinator of his is special too and they are doing special things together," and teams like the Panthers or the Bucs would be pretty interested in a guy like that, historically.

Now, again in theory, if the rest of the NFL actually thinks, "hm, there's something wrong with that offense in Buffalo and we know Josh Allen is great so something else must be the problem," they would probably point to coaching. The League may dispute that while the EPA/play is elite, scoring points 10 points through 55 minutes is actually less so. In that instance, maybe Ken wouldn't be that popular as a candidate.  Which would be quite damning, as we have seen a lot of hack coaches do pretty well with great QBs.

So this is the official O/U topic of his interviews.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

We should sell teams on a buy one get one free package. If you take McD, we’ll pay for Dorsey’s salary and you get him for free. 

I actually almost made a "who would get hired first if both were fired tomorrow" topic but I thought the answer was so clearly one-sided it wouldn't have been interesting.

Edited by FireChans

This is a great topic @FireChans!! I have the number 2 stuck in my head. When I opened this thread 1.5 I was taking over, 2 I was taking push and 2.5 I was going under. 

I don’t think Dorsey is good. I also think that he’s a young offensive mind that has worked with a franchise QB. His offense has scored a lot despite the current flaws. There will be roughly 7 HC openings and 5 or 6 (at least) will go to offensive minded people. It isn’t crazy to me that 25% of the open jobs request a Dorsey interview. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a great topic @FireChans!! I have the number 2 stuck in my head. When I opened this thread 1.5 I was taking over, 2 I was taking push and 2.5 I was going under. 

I don’t think Dorsey is good. I also think that he’s a young offensive mind that has worked with a franchise QB. His offense has scored a lot despite the current flaws. There will be roughly 7 HC openings and 5 or 6 (at least) will go to offensive minded people. It isn’t crazy to me that 25% of the open jobs request a Dorsey interview. 

Who are the seven openings? I see one certain one in LV, two probable ones in CHI and the Chargers. All of the other bad teams have just hired coaches.

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Who are the seven openings? I see one certain one in LV, two probable ones in CHI and the Chargers. All of the other bad teams have just hired coaches.

That’s just a rough number because that is about what there always is. You can add New England and Washington off the top of my head. The Saints are definitely replacing Allen. Carolina is a maybe (I think Reich is the betting favorite to be the next fired). That’s 7. Arizona? Indy? Giants? Titans? Tampa? 

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s just a rough number because that is about what there always is. You can add New England and Washington off the top of my head. The Saints are definitely replacing Allen. Carolina is a maybe (I think Reich is the betting favorite to be the next fired). That’s 7. Arizona? Indy? Giants? Titans? Tampa? 

Tampa is a definitely. They will interview around but the rumor is that they are gonna toss the horrific HC (edit Todd Bowles, could not remember him for the life of me) and install their OC, like they did with Lovie and Dirk Koetter years ago.

Also, blast from the past tangent, the Bucs QB coach is none other than Bills legend Thad Lewis.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I voted over, but not with a lot of confidence. 

I think his temper will hurt him more than anything else. 

I also went over, but agree the temper part could hurt him.

I took the over mainly because offensive minded coaches always get a boost and overall the Bills offense stats are much better than many here like to give credit to.  Admittedly the stats don't completely agree with the eye ball test.  But ifthe team turns things around, could se him gettign some interviews.

Was just reading an article this morning about issues in Carolina with Reich and the article mentioned that Dorsey had interviewed for that job, didn't remember that.

• Agree 1

Will likely get none.

You don't lead a room full of talent to underperform and then get a promotion.

The gig is up on Dorsey. Everyone knows Josh is making things work, just look at expected comp% vs actual it's dramatic, and tells the story that Dorsey does not fundamentally understand calling plays in the NFL. He understands individual plays, but doesn't "get" how they interact with other plays in a given series or game, or for the entirety of the year. They are like tracks on an album, that when you listen to it they go together. But Dorsey only sees the album for it's collection of tracks.

This offense is doing what it's doing successfully despite Dorsey, not because of him.

And I would venture a guess the people doing the hiring can see that as well.

Common sense would say under, but this is the NFL, with slots so specialized that even failed retreads get new chances time and again on a merry go round carousel of mediocrity because there’s sometimes just not enough new names to choose from. And if the head of your current coach needs to be axed to satisfy the masses, sometimes any old change is good, so that is how Dorsey easily will be able to score interviews at the very least, imho. 

6 hours ago, Cash said:

Under. Most owners aren’t willing to give a HC job to someone who was just fired from his OC job. 

image.jpeg.4f94c4730f6c2d47a7e73afc6b94362b.jpeg
           "Hello dere!"

That claim might not be 100% accurate, but remember, it's Mark Davis we're talking about.  The man currently paying 2 coaches for nothing.  Unless the 'Chuckie Situation' has been settled.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Tampa is a definitely. They will interview around but the rumor is that they are gonna toss the horrific HC (edit Todd Bowles, could not remember him for the life of me) and install their OC, like they did with Lovie and Dirk Koetter years ago.

Also, blast from the past tangent, the Bucs QB coach is none other than Bills legend Thad Lewis.

God, flashbacks to that 2013 season, Marrone’s first.   Lewis, EJ Manuel, Tuel & Tavaris Jackson.   The next preseason, Marrone screamed at Whaley to get him a QB, which gave us The Year of Orton.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.