Tim Graham for The Athletic: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

QCity

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It's been the least enjoyable year to watch the games in a while.  From the opening kick i just feel like I want the team to get through it, try not to have a flag on every decent play...and cringing for more injuries when i see hard hits.  If they can scrounge out a W (like NYG and Bucs) it's gravy.

These next 2 games will have to be scrounge out a win games.  If Dorsey had any stones, he'd challenge McD like Daboll did and say we're running up tempo 11 personnel all game until they adjust.  Be he won't do that and I hardly see Josh going rogue with his own plays.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Hmmm there's a specific reason for this....I just can't seem to put my finger on it. 🤔

They're not a cohesive team any more.  Some of them probably get along, but there's nobody in charge.  It's like when GgReGggGgG tried the tough guy act and lost the locker room right away

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Sheesh… when can I expect the ‘save the date’ in the mail? 

I know, right??? He is uptight and throws a tantrum and leaves TBD in a huff and now he's writing an article about how the Bills aren't having fun anymore?

I didn't even get halfway down the first page of replies when I read the instant defense of Tim Graham... just weird.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, here's the thing. Back when this run started players were younger and had no expectations or pressure on them Once they made the AFCCG the pressure set in and it went from a game with buddies to a very business like approach.

The other thing worth pointing out is the natural progression of maturity in Josh Allen. Seeing a franchise QB grow up in front of us is something we really have never seen in Buffalo. Yes, we had Kelly however he had a few years to grow up in the USFL and by the time he came here he is who he was as a person. With Allen we are watching him go from a smaller NCAA QB who grew up on a farm to multimillionaire, face of the NFL. That's a huge change to take place in a timeframe of your early 20s to mid to late 20s. 

We like to think that all things should stay the same but often forget that these guys are often young human beings that are finding generational wealth and that brings about change. 

I would add this, getting a ring and going the distance eliminates the pressure of the business type approach that settles in as you try to climb the ladder. Even making the SB is a badge of sorts that you can at least have some swagger of going the distance.

You hit the nail on the head that the pressure has come as expectations and success has grown. Kelly was 100% different because his first 3 years were in the USFL and when he came to Buffalo he already was a thing and it was more how long will it take to build with him. Kelly almost had the benefit of the doubt that he could have the swagger of a 1000 man from day 1, Josh had to earn it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, even read a story where Andy put a play in that the custodian drew up as well. That does keep things fun and interesting for sure.

However I liken it to "pretty lady syndrome" Unscientific observation tells me that life in general is easier for a pretty lady than one with warts all over her face. Winning 2 Super Bowls means people give them the benefit of the doubt when things are bad. This year alone, their offense has been brutal at times and flat out not good. But they aren't hearing their coordinator should be fired. They aren't hearing a new HC is needed. Makes it far easier to operate and figure things out than it does for Dorsey, Allen and McDermott because they have the warts of never winning before. 

For KC, they can have fun and figure it out as the heat isn't as high and they aren't under the microscope. It helps. 

The Chiefs are 7-2, leading the AFC, and playing great defense.  That will generally draw less criticism than being 5-4, losing to the dregs of the NFL, and with the easiest part of the schedule behind you.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

It's been the least enjoyable year to watch the games in a while.  From the opening kick i just feel like I want the team to get through it, try not to have a flag on every decent play...and cringing for more injuries when i see hard hits.  If they can scrounge out a W (like NYG and Bucs) it's gravy.

Hard to imagine the state we are in now after we hammered Miami by 28.

would any of us have believed we would be where we are now?

The thing I’m holding onto for this season is just finding any way to get the seven seed and how enjoyable it would be to knock off the two seed who could be a KC or Baltimore.

that would totally make the season worth it for me, regardless of how they performed in the divisional round.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The Chiefs are 7-2, leading the AFC, and playing great defense.  That will generally draw less criticism than being 5-4, losing to the dregs of the NFL, and with the easiest part of the schedule behind you.

The difference between the Chiefs and Bills this year has been the health of their defense. That's the difference between the 7-2 and 5-4. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Graham: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a primetime bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 primetime record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Remember those F-you plays? Showing up the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense right after their “Renegade” hype song? Throwing a touchdown pass to rookie backup tackle Tommy Doyle while already beating the New England Patriots by 30 in the fourth quarter? John Brown and Cole Beasley chucking touchdowns, Josh Allen catching them? Defensive tackle Kyle Williams getting touches? Isaiah McKenzie capering about?

Buffalo used to exude confidence. It was cocksure, defiant, downright giddy in their dominance.

All that’s gone lately.

-------

“A lack of big plays has taken some of the energy out of it,” Davis admitted. 

Chunk plays are fun. So, too, are trick plays.

The Bills don’t do those anymore either.

In the 27 games Ken Dorsey has been offensive coordinator, no one other than a quarterback has attempted a pass, and no one other than a running back, receiver or tight end has caught.

Under Daboll, non-quarterbacks completed six of eight passes for 104 yards and four touchdowns — not counting special teams chicanery. Brown threw two touchdowns, Beasley and McKenzie one apiece.

Non-skill players under Daboll caught six of eight targets for 46 yards and five touchdowns. Left tackle Dion Dawkins has two career TD receptions.

The universe smiles upon fat guy touchdowns.

-------

“Of course, there’s the fun factor of it,” Mitchell Schwartz, the Chiefs’ former All-Pro right tackle, once told The Athletic for a story about the power of unusual plays, “but mentally knowing your coach is going to listen to you, find ways to let you do things you normally don’t get to, not succumb to monotony and make sure guys are having fun and engaged, that mentality goes beyond just a single play here or there.

“It really bleeds down into the overall work environment, and everyone feels more engaged.”

A pretty interesting read for The Athletic subscribers basically summarizing what most of us see - that the offense exudes all the swagger and fun of someone who is about to get audited by the IRS. 

Only buffalo media member who has stones.

Sell out puppets like cappacio, Schoop, and his puppy are all bought and paid for. Everything is great in their eyes.

Good job Graham

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hard to imagine the state we are in now after we hammered Miami by 28.

would any of us have believed we would be where we are now?

The thing I’m holding onto for this season is just finding any way to get the seven seed and how enjoyable it would be to knock off the two seed who could be a KC or Baltimore.

that would totally make the season worth it for me, regardless of how they performed in the divisional round.

Miami was our Super Bowl, like KC was last year

A team of discipline and integrity

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The difference between the Chiefs and Bills this year has been the health of their defense. That's the difference between the 7-2 and 5-4. 

Winning is all that matters.  Everyone believes the Chiefs will figure it out like they have done in years past because they're still winning.  The Bills look lost and it shows in the L column.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I know, right??? He is uptight and throws a tantrum and leaves TBD in a huff and now he's writing an article about how the Bills aren't having fun anymore?

I didn't even get halfway down the first page of replies when I read the instant defense of Tim Graham... just weird.

Well I would never expect you to understand, so I get it. I'll break it down for you, I am simply saying that he is a good writer and able to write a solid piece journalistically. He is a lot different than a lot of the clickbait authors and talking heads. Agree or disagree with him: He has talent.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The chiefs, who have won two super bowls, always look like they are having fun. You can do both 

No, not even close. They struggle through games too. Mahomes looks angry and frustrated out there all the time. Kelce looks pissed and tired most of the time.

I don’t care about the trick plays really. The article makes them sound great but I remember being pissed when Daboll dialed one up in the wrong moment and it failed miserably and killed the drive. 

fun will come with winning and playing good football. They arent. having fun because the offense sucks. Josh needs to get back to his superstar self and running the football. It’s the only thing that is going to open the passing game back up. 

Edited by Scott7975

19 hours ago, boyst said:

Tim Graham is a phenomenal writer. He can construct and convey a story like few others can do even if we don't like his stories or people have a personal dislike for him. 

He’s a dick. 

But he’s spot on with this one. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The on field demeanour, performance and record is reminiscent of the drought era Bills with Allen being the sole difference. Imagine this team without Allen at QB. 

The problem is that Allen isn’t part of the difference; he’s part of the problem. 

I can’t think of a player who looks more disengaged than Josh when the chips are down. 

As a supposed leader, the rest of the team feeds off of that. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The problem is that Allen isn’t part of the difference; he’s part of the problem. 

I can’t think of a player who looks more disengaged than Josh when the chips are down. 

He was totally engaged in the 13 second game, trying to fire everybody up, especially on defense. Fat lot of good that did.

14 minutes ago, Rubes said:

He was totally engaged in the 13 second game, trying to fire everybody up, especially on defense. Fat lot of good that did.

That game was the beginning of the end, IMO. 

I’m more specifically referring to the last half of last season and all of this season so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He also completely ripped off the premise of his article from a tweeted video this week that showed literally every play he listed.  I can't find the link nor remember the name of the video's creator, but it was damn near plagiarism.

WGR's guys do the same thing with posts on this board.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MJS said:

They have fun when they are scoring TD's and winning games. It is not some big secret. Struggling sucks. Losing sucks.

There isn't some deeper meaning behind it all. It is a simple thing.

Disagree. There is something more. For example how great was the 13 seconds game to watch(minus the last 13 secs). Point is even in a loss they were fun

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, QCity said:

Graham: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a primetime bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 primetime record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Remember those F-you plays? Showing up the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense right after their “Renegade” hype song? Throwing a touchdown pass to rookie backup tackle Tommy Doyle while already beating the New England Patriots by 30 in the fourth quarter? John Brown and Cole Beasley chucking touchdowns, Josh Allen catching them? Defensive tackle Kyle Williams getting touches? Isaiah McKenzie capering about?

Buffalo used to exude confidence. It was cocksure, defiant, downright giddy in their dominance.

All that’s gone lately.

-------

“A lack of big plays has taken some of the energy out of it,” Davis admitted. 

Chunk plays are fun. So, too, are trick plays.

The Bills don’t do those anymore either.

In the 27 games Ken Dorsey has been offensive coordinator, no one other than a quarterback has attempted a pass, and no one other than a running back, receiver or tight end has caught.

Under Daboll, non-quarterbacks completed six of eight passes for 104 yards and four touchdowns — not counting special teams chicanery. Brown threw two touchdowns, Beasley and McKenzie one apiece.

Non-skill players under Daboll caught six of eight targets for 46 yards and five touchdowns. Left tackle Dion Dawkins has two career TD receptions.

The universe smiles upon fat guy touchdowns.

-------

“Of course, there’s the fun factor of it,” Mitchell Schwartz, the Chiefs’ former All-Pro right tackle, once told The Athletic for a story about the power of unusual plays, “but mentally knowing your coach is going to listen to you, find ways to let you do things you normally don’t get to, not succumb to monotony and make sure guys are having fun and engaged, that mentality goes beyond just a single play here or there.

“It really bleeds down into the overall work environment, and everyone feels more engaged.”

A pretty interesting read for The Athletic subscribers basically summarizing what most of us see - that the offense exudes all the swagger and fun of someone who is about to get audited by the IRS. 

He’s not wrong.

11 minutes ago, BRH said:

He also completely ripped off the premise of his article from a tweeted video this week that showed literally every play he listed.  I can't find the link nor remember the name of the video's creator, but it was damn near plagiarism.

WGR's guys do the same thing with posts on this board.

And to add:  I don't have a problem with Timmy writing an article like that as long as he acknowledges the inspiration.  Something like "@soandso tweeted a video the other day and it got me thinking..."  Some of these guys seem to see it as a sign of weakness to give credit to non-journalists for story ideas or phrasings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Well Gug, you'd be disengaged too if your coaches told you to run 3 different offensive styles at the same time.  "We need you to be safe and checkdown more".  "We need you to open things up and run more".  "And we need you to find a happy medium on top of all this".....

There's no offensive leadership from either Dorsey or McDermott.  It's like they're winging it every week.  We have no identity as we run this predictable 1 dimensional O.  Daboll wouldn't have pulled this stunt.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well Gug, you'd be disengaged too if your coaches told you to run 3 different offensive styles at the same time.  "We need you to be safe and checkdown more".  "We need you to open things up and run more".  "And we need you to find a happy medium on top of all this".....

There's no offensive leadership from either Dorsey or McDermott.  It's like they're winging it every week.  We have no identity as we run this predictable 1 dimensional O.  Daboll wouldn't have pulled this stunt.

I agree that it is a coaching problem - as well as a GM problem, because he keeps drafting and acquiring players who seem to have nothing to offer to the coaches. 

But Allen should be hyping his teammates up despite the clear coaching issues. 

He’s not. He’s pouting, sulking and sucking. 

And for anyone who wants to throw cute stats in my face, I would counter with one word: “WHEN?”

It ain’t when it matters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

55 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is not unique to this team.  The early 90s Buffalo team with Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Don Beebee etc. did the same thing. They had the hurry up passing thing. But when they got ahead by a coupla TDs in the 4th quarter they'd go into slomo mode. Running time off the clock between plays and pounding it in with Thurman.

Wonder Boy should be able to execute with a smile whatever the coaches call.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

it's only fun when your winning !

I wouldn't say that I don't mind being beaten, but it's easier to take when you get beaten after playing your absolute best, or at least knowing that your team showed up fully prepared and looked the part.  

We've seen everything but that.  

Our team has shown up looking as if they don't even know who they are, as if the first half is practice before the "real game" begins in the 2nd half, play-calling not matching situations, despite the mindless blathering that "we're playing situational football" when we're obviously not, running plays that make no sense in key situations, on both sides, etc.  

Imagine what Pegula would think if we those going to games paid $7 up front and said that they'd leave the rest in a bucket once they got in under the honor system.  

Most of it points to coaching, and the entire teay is disarrayed and dysfunctional, and it's obvious.  That's no fun, and even if we win like that because Allen has a huge game, sure, it's a win, but it's still leaves dissatisfying elements in it.  

Just my two cents.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.