Tim Graham for The Athletic: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

QCity

Graham: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a primetime bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 primetime record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Remember those F-you plays? Showing up the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense right after their “Renegade” hype song? Throwing a touchdown pass to rookie backup tackle Tommy Doyle while already beating the New England Patriots by 30 in the fourth quarter? John Brown and Cole Beasley chucking touchdowns, Josh Allen catching them? Defensive tackle Kyle Williams getting touches? Isaiah McKenzie capering about?

Buffalo used to exude confidence. It was cocksure, defiant, downright giddy in their dominance.

All that’s gone lately.

-------

“A lack of big plays has taken some of the energy out of it,” Davis admitted. 

Chunk plays are fun. So, too, are trick plays.

The Bills don’t do those anymore either.

In the 27 games Ken Dorsey has been offensive coordinator, no one other than a quarterback has attempted a pass, and no one other than a running back, receiver or tight end has caught.

Under Daboll, non-quarterbacks completed six of eight passes for 104 yards and four touchdowns — not counting special teams chicanery. Brown threw two touchdowns, Beasley and McKenzie one apiece.

Non-skill players under Daboll caught six of eight targets for 46 yards and five touchdowns. Left tackle Dion Dawkins has two career TD receptions.

The universe smiles upon fat guy touchdowns.

-------

“Of course, there’s the fun factor of it,” Mitchell Schwartz, the Chiefs’ former All-Pro right tackle, once told The Athletic for a story about the power of unusual plays, “but mentally knowing your coach is going to listen to you, find ways to let you do things you normally don’t get to, not succumb to monotony and make sure guys are having fun and engaged, that mentality goes beyond just a single play here or there.

“It really bleeds down into the overall work environment, and everyone feels more engaged.”

A pretty interesting read for The Athletic subscribers basically summarizing what most of us see - that the offense exudes all the swagger and fun of someone who is about to get audited by the IRS. 

Edited by QCity
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 11

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

A pretty interesting read for The Athletic subscribers basically summarizing what most of us see - that the offense exudes all the swagger and fun of someone who is about to get audited by the IRS.

I always though Tim Graham should be working for IRS and would love being an auditor with thumbscrews in briefcase "just in case".

• Haha (+1) 7

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Well, here's the thing. Back when this run started players were younger and had no expectations or pressure on them Once they made the AFCCG the pressure set in and it went from a game with buddies to a very business like approach.

The other thing worth pointing out is the natural progression of maturity in Josh Allen. Seeing a franchise QB grow up in front of us is something we really have never seen in Buffalo. Yes, we had Kelly however he had a few years to grow up in the USFL and by the time he came here he is who he was as a person. With Allen we are watching him go from a smaller NCAA QB who grew up on a farm to multimillionaire, face of the NFL. That's a huge change to take place in a timeframe of your early 20s to mid to late 20s. 

We like to think that all things should stay the same but often forget that these guys are often young human beings that are finding generational wealth and that brings about change. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

Josh needs a haircut 💈, and this team needs some new life in it.

This has been a depressing sludge of a season so far.  Can't even hang your hat on anything anymore.  I need a drink 🍻!

Edited by Negan
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's been the least enjoyable year to watch the games in a while.  From the opening kick i just feel like I want the team to get through it, try not to have a flag on every decent play...and cringing for more injuries when i see hard hits.  If they can scrounge out a W (like NYG and Bucs) it's gravy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

In the 27 games Ken Dorsey has been offensive coordinator, no one other than a quarterback has attempted a pass, and no one other than a running back, receiver or tight end has caught.

Under Daboll, non-quarterbacks completed six of eight passes for 104 yards and four touchdowns — not counting special teams chicanery. Brown threw two touchdowns, Beasley and McKenzie one apiece.

Non-skill players under Daboll caught six of eight targets for 46 yards and five touchdowns. Left tackle Dion Dawkins has two career TD receptions.

I've been harping about this for a while now. 

I think we finally attempted a gadget play last game with a double flea flicker or something... and of course the defense didn't bite even a little bit and it failed miserably. 

Trick and gadget plays are a a noticeable weakness of Dorsey's. Can't scheme them, can't call them. I feel like the poor screen game - which is at least something of a trick play conceptually - may be connected to whatever is holding back his ability to coordinate these types of plays. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, here's the thing. Back when this run started players were younger and had no expectations or pressure on them Once they made the AFCCG the pressure set in and it went from a game with buddies to a very business like approach.

The other thing worth pointing out is the natural progression of maturity in Josh Allen. Seeing a franchise QB grow up in front of us is something we really have never seen in Buffalo. Yes, we had Kelly however he had a few years to grow up in the USFL and by the time he came here he is who he was as a person. With Allen we are watching him go from a smaller NCAA QB who grew up on a farm to multimillionaire, face of the NFL. That's a huge change to take place in a timeframe of your early 20s to mid to late 20s. 

We like to think that all things should stay the same but often forget that these guys are often young human beings that are finding generational wealth and that brings about change. 

The chiefs, who have won two super bowls, always look like they are having fun. You can do both 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of the fun is definitely gone … I get up at 430a for work, but I never minded sacrificing a day of being tired at work for a prime time Bills game. Monday night, I’m actually considering setting the DVR and going to bed at the half, and watching the remainder of the game later, IF it’s worth watching. That would have been unthinkable previously. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I've been harping about this for a while now. 

I think we finally attempted a gadget play last game with a double flea flicker or something... and of course the defense didn't bite even a little bit and it failed miserably. 

Trick and gadget plays are a a noticeable weakness of Dorsey's. Can't scheme them, can't call them. I feel like the poor screen game - which is at least something of a trick play conceptually - may be connected to whatever is holding back his ability to coordinate these types of plays. 🤷‍♂️

They should fire Dorsey for refusing to throw TDs to O-lineman alone, is what I'm saying....

• Haha (+1) 1

What a very strange sentence and odd gripe about an NFL football team. 

I can get behind the premise that the team isn't having very much fun, but I am not sure WR's throwing passes and QB's/OL catching them are a meaningful way to convey they. 

Also nobody is having fun in jersey because they stink and Daboll is an absolute blowhard. I wish we would stop looking backwards all the time. 

That said, I think the general morale puts us on a crash course for a reset next year. 

they're not having fun playing, we're not having fun watching, they're barely above .500

BUT

THE PROCESS

so, you may not like how it looks, but this is peak PROCESS, so pour yourself a big cup of shut up and take it

4 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Can't even scheme up Spencer Brown to get the big man open in space, smdh 

what are you talking about he's always open in space, nary a defensive lineman in front of him

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

What a very strange sentence and odd gripe about an NFL football team. 

I can get behind the premise that the team isn't having very much fun, but I am not sure WR's throwing passes and QB's/OL catching them are a meaningful way to convey they. 

I think it demonstrates a lack of creativity, and when you're talking about a sample size of 1 1/2 seasons I do think it's at least noteworthy to consider if it speaks to a broader lack of Dorsey's ability to evolve the offense and target specific weaknesses of an opponent. 

See Daboll is almost the flip-side of that, as it felt like sometimes he would force in trick plays to the detriment of the offense when we were humming along just fine without them. But when those plays work to great effect, it almost feel like "stealing" points from the defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The chiefs, who have won two super bowls, always look like they are having fun. You can do both 

That’s because They like and trust their coach who they know can get them over the top … and won’t slave drive them only to choke when it matters most. That’s the difference. Reid is creative and adaptable and McD just goes around and around in circles driving the same square peg in the same round hole. The Cheifs are married to winning the Super Bowl, and the Bills are married to some mythical process and a belief that if you just keep trusting, you’ll get there (while other teams grow and adapt and kick us in the nuts)

Edited by drummernut74
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

I think it demonstrates a lack of creativity, and when you're talking about a sample size of 1 1/2 seasons I do think it's at least noteworthy to consider if it speaks to a broader lack of Dorsey's ability to evolve the offense and target specific weaknesses of an opponent. 

See Daboll is almost the flip-side of that, as it felt like sometimes he would force in trick plays to the detriment of the offense when we were humming along just fine without them. But when those plays work to great effect, it almost feel like "stealing" points from the defense. 

Daboll seemed addicted to gimmicky plays where as Dorkey went and found a pop warner mighty mite playbook and dumbed it down

I expect i complained about Daboll but boy howdy i'd take him back now and dorkey can go back to scraping gum off the restroom floor or whatever he was doing before becoming OC

• Haha (+1) 1

He's not wrong.  Bills fans get more fun, fire and intensity from the retired players leading the charge. 

The entire team, coaches included, absent a few, all look like they are just there to collect the paycheck and not get injured this year.   In the midst of a Super Bowl window.  

Bills fans get treated to week after week of their star quarterback staring into space on the bench, and the head coach befuddled and mystified at how to fix problems, and also spending a lot of time staring into the space his star quarterback uses.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

He's not wrong.  Bills fans get more fun, fire and intensity from the retired players leading the charge. 

The entire team, coaches included, absent a few, all look like they are just there to collect the paycheck and not get injured this year.   In the midst of a Super Bowl window.  

Bills fans get treated to week after week of their star quarterback staring into space on the bench, and the head coach befuddled and mystified at how to fix problems, and also spending a lot of time staring into the space his start quarterback uses.  

Well put dpberr.  McD is not the man for the moment.  Why they're letting Allen sit there in his own head drive after drive, game after game is literal malpractice

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The social media team sure does a great job at making sure they look like they are having fun at practice, yet they look miserable come game time.

it needs to be the other way around, and mcdorsey is running outta time to steer this ship in the other direction.

I don’t see it happening this season. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Agree 1

The usage of players is a major issue here too. 

For whatever reason, McDermott has certain guys who are nailed to the bench and are never going to get a real chance to do something. 

Elam is the most recent example, along with guys like Harty and Sherfield, who Beane signed as weapons and just aren't used. Last year it was Hines who they traded for and refused to do anything with. Cook was barely part of the offense last year as well. 

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I see your point, however I would argue that winning the first time took pressure off a fair amount as well. 

Or added more to repeat as champs. How much you have has a lot to do with the coaches and the atmosphere they create. Andy Reid puts plays in that his lineman draw up. Keeps the team engaged and excited 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, QCity said:

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a primetime bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 primetime record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Remember those F-you plays? Showing up the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense right after their “Renegade” hype song? Throwing a touchdown pass to rookie backup tackle Tommy Doyle while already beating the New England Patriots by 30 in the fourth quarter? John Brown and Cole Beasley chucking touchdowns, Josh Allen catching them? Defensive tackle Kyle Williams getting touches? Isaiah McKenzie capering about?

Buffalo used to exude confidence. It was cocksure, defiant, downright giddy in their dominance.

All that’s gone lately.

-------

“A lack of big plays has taken some of the energy out of it,” Davis admitted. 

Chunk plays are fun. So, too, are trick plays.

The Bills don’t do those anymore either.

-------

“Of course, there’s the fun factor of it,” Mitchell Schwartz, the Chiefs’ former All-Pro right tackle, once told The Athletic for a story about the power of unusual plays, “but mentally knowing your coach is going to listen to you, find ways to let you do things you normally don’t get to, not succumb to monotony and make sure guys are having fun and engaged, that mentality goes beyond just a single play here or there.

“It really bleeds down into the overall work environment, and everyone feels more engaged.”

Ive been screaming about this for weeks. The Bills dont do trick or deception plays any more because Dorsey enjoys his vanilla offense. He also apparently doesnt trust the offense to execute them either. Last week in Cincy they actually attempted one and it looked like they had made it up in the huddle. Josh ended up throwing deep to nobody. Actually come to think of it, I'm surprised those useless officials didnt call a 2nd intentional grounding call on that one.  What used to be a very successful option in their offense has now completely been removed and so has the swagger of the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Or added more to repeat as champs. How much you have has a lot to do with the coaches and the atmosphere they create. Andy Reid puts plays in that his lineman draw up. Keeps the team engaged and excited 

Yes, even read a story where Andy put a play in that the custodian drew up as well. That does keep things fun and interesting for sure.

However I liken it to "pretty lady syndrome" Unscientific observation tells me that life in general is easier for a pretty lady than one with warts all over her face. Winning 2 Super Bowls means people give them the benefit of the doubt when things are bad. This year alone, their offense has been brutal at times and flat out not good. But they aren't hearing their coordinator should be fired. They aren't hearing a new HC is needed. Makes it far easier to operate and figure things out than it does for Dorsey, Allen and McDermott because they have the warts of never winning before. 

For KC, they can have fun and figure it out as the heat isn't as high and they aren't under the microscope. It helps. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Ive been screaming about this for weeks. The Bills dont do trick or deception plays any more because Dorsey enjoys his vanilla offense. He also apparently doesnt trust the offense to execute them either. Last week in Cincy they actually attempted one and it looked like they had made it up in the huddle. Josh ended up throwing deep to nobody. Actually come to think of it, I'm surprised those useless officials didnt call a 2nd intentional grounding call on that one.  What used to be a very successful option in their offense has now completely been removed and so has the swagger of the offense.

The analogy i've used is you've got a really amazing Italian restaurant that has a remarkable menu that everybody loves even if now and then someone gets served a less than perfect or cold dish.

Along comes a new owner that wants to make a more consistent experience, even if it costs the overall appeal and uniqueness of the place, but he's so in love with his own ideas, because he considers himself a genius, that he proceeds to ruin the restaurant and nobody goes there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't recall ever seeing McDermott looking like he was having fun. 

Allen had fun for one play during the Bengals game and got a flag for it. 

in fairness to everyone

they've played a shitton of NFL games the last 4 years

those $40k playoff game checks probably aren't enough to keep you from feeling worn down 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.