Josh Allen Slowing?

Bad Things Man

Funny how people have come around on this. 

Beginning of 2023 it was outlandish to suggest that Allen could be working harder on his physical fitness, to Allen himself saying he needs to train harder and become more disciplined at 2023 Training Camp, to now 9 games in fans saying he is slowing down. 

I don't think he's slowing down. I think he doesn't run as much - designed or scramble - and his coaches are all over him to not run - let alone the constant media saying he is going to hurt himself and become Newton. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's not a premature XXXXXXXXXX like he was when he was young. Can hold off now and this really satisfies McDermott to no end. Sean was always critical of Josh not being patient enough and just going off too soon in the past. Now he loves it.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

25 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

So this week we've learned that Josh Allen is:

Slowing down

Not going through his progressions

Seems a bit depressed

Misses his ex

Still isn't studying film

Only wanted Dorsey because he's his buddy

Has an allergy to pistachio's (talk about bad luck)

Has lost his passion for the game

I may have missed a few.

Just how many ladders did this guy walk under in the offseason?

Funny how all the evidence contradicts the idea that Allen is the problem here.  People seem to want to create all sorts of far fetched & bizarre theories centered on Allen as to why the Bills offense struggles at times.  Of course if they simply looked at the stats and watched the games Allen is the LEAST of our problems.  If I had to pick just a few:

*  Bad O line.  Hey I'm going by what the experts are saying and what my eyes are telling me and this O line is below average, at best.

*  Lack of play makers not named Diggs.  Sure Kincaid is showing signs of becoming an elite play making TE but he's not there yet which leaves only Diggs.  Look at the other legit SB contenders and all but KC have multiple elite play makers and KC has a much better O line and offensive coaching then the Bills. And for the record Allen & Mahomes are having an almost identical year in production & TO's.

*  Defense dominates the Bills coaching DNA.  Where every other serious SB contender has directed the lions share of resources to surround their stud QB with the best possible talent McD/Bean have gone in the other direction. McD's idea of "complimentary" football is the offense sacrificing what works for it to help the D out.  This is a patently absurd approach which could only lead to a schizophrenic O.

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Slowing down

Seems a bit depressed

Misses his ex

I may have missed a few.

Wait, can you guide me to the pistachio allergy discussion? I missed that one!!

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

I may have inserted that so I could see who is paying attention

He does want to plant 1,000 acres of Pistachio trees on his father's farm. Kind of a strange desire for a guy that has "gone Hollywood."

https://www.on3.com/pro/news/josh-allen-has-plans-to-grow-1000-acres-of-pistachios-for-second-income-stream/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Joe Burrow is only 198 days younger than Josh and gets a serious injury every year. Is their window closing?

I was joking-- My Cousin Vinny reference.  Allen has tons of football left in him at 27.  Look at Brady and Rodgers.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Slowing down

Seems a bit depressed

Misses his ex

I may have missed a few.

Madden was all it took.

His first few years lineman would rush him aggressively and almost pass his depth in the pocket. Teams would not have a spy and it would open the center of the line like the red sea. He would just gash teams.  Teams are not rushing him like that anymore. They almost always have a LB waiting for him. He needs to be much more tactical about how he is rushing. I still think he moves just fine. That TD he had against Tampa Bay he turned it on. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 3

I ahve thought he looked slower on several occasions.  He has been caught from behind a few times by Dlinemen who never would have touched him in previous years.  Although it likely has more to do with the fact that he is less decisive when running and defenses are spying him so that he can't hurt them scrambling.  When he took off against Tampa he was decisive and looked like the same guy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I agree. 
   I also don’t think he has as much zip on his ball anymore. (I know, the announcers talked about him bruising hands on one crosser to Kincaide) He has decidedly been arching balls he use to throw on a rope , since the beginning of the season. Maybe it’s on purpose but I’m suspecting maybe not.

This league takes a toll.

His throw at the end of the Jags game (that Diggs dropped) was probably the hardest thrown, most absurd pass I’ve ever seen.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Slowing down

Seems a bit depressed

Misses his ex

I may have missed a few.

He orders Ranch when he gets his Wings.  

SMH 

• Sad 1

This is a fundamentally flawed offense, of course and obviously, to almost all who have payed attention.

One of the problems going forward is that they will not be able to make good personnel evaluations if Dorsey finishes the year.

When you have these kind of fundamental problems your eyes WILL deceive you, as things are not as they should be--almost everyone will look worse and start taking on new flaws.   Allen is dejected, almost devastated, that this is happening and it shows in his demeanor and game.

Do we really know what we actually have with Gabe Davis??

5 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Slow Fat Broken Josh Allen is not the problem.  Short bus Dorsey is.

Josh and Dorsey both carry very significant amounts of the blame.

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

This is a fundamentally flawed offense, of course and obviously, to almost all who have payed attention.

One of the problems going forward is that they will not be able to make good personnel evaluations if Dorsey finishes the year.

When you have these kind of fundamental problems your eyes WILL deceive you, as things are not as they should be--almost everyone will look worse and start taking on new flaws.   Allen is dejected, almost devastated, that this is happening and it shows in his demeanor and game.

Do we really know what we actually have with Gabe Davis??

I think we do know.

He's a guy with strengths and weaknesses we're all pretty aware of. He'll never be a #1. He's a solid but not exceptional 2, and he blocks really well, which is often discounted. He doesn't appear to be sudden enough to do much damage short but does well in the deep and intermediate range.

Edited by Thurman#1

It does seem the aggression in Allen’s game has tapered off. Multitude of possible reasons: coaching, scheme, injuries, weight, confidence, defensive adjustments, etc. The problem is that Allen no longer dominates physically and the mental part of the game isn’t compensating.

Defenses have learned how to contain him in the pocket. Other than poorly coached defenses like the Bucs, teams are not giving him free lanes to run through. I think the whole "Allen needs to run more" thing is way overblown. The angles to scramble away just aren't there anymore.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Bad Things Man said:

Is it just me or does Josh look a lot slower running the ball.  Back in his rookie or second year some of his runs were clocked in the 20 mph range and he was making d-backs and LBs look silly running by them.  Seems like now when he finally does run he has trouble beating defensive line. Anyone else notice this?  

You want your quarterback trucking defensive linemen? Do you want your quarterback to see the field by his 30th birthday? 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Josh and Dorsey both carry very significant amounts of the blame.

I think we do know.

He's a guy with strengths and weaknesses we're all pretty aware of. He'll never be a #1. He's a solid but not exceptional 2, and he blocks really well, which is often discounted. He doesn't appear to be sudden enough to do much damage short but does well in the deep and intermediate range.

I agree.

You would think maybe they would call plays for him that appeal to his strengths, in the intermediate range (which may open and facilitate more of the deeper routes as well)),

But this OC does not seem to care or know how to do things like this, with one player after another...

Beyond all of his other fundamental flaws, one that in itself means he will not be able to win in this league or even on most college teams as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.