When Frazier "left" McDermott should have brought in Jim Schwartz

Buffalo Barbarian

"To this point, Cleveland's defense under Schwartz could be the most improved unit in the NFL; the Browns ranked 19th in efficiency last year. This season, they've been dominant."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38625012/how-jim-schwartz-transformed-cleveland-browns-nfl-defense

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Over the past six years the league has passed by McDermott. Jets, Dolphins, Jags, Tennesee, San Francisco, Bengals, Cowboys, Eagles and several others have young coaches all of whom can out coach McDermott. He along with Beane seem to be drafting a 1980s style of personnel. They rely on gimmicks rather than brute force as its evident in both lines. So no running game but they waste time on a double reverse? Seems to me this O Coordinator guy wastes practice time. Were also running the same pass patterns from the Rex Ryan days with Tyrod. Recall that two speedsters also could not get open? So why so many on defense injured? Could be because the D line isnt stopping the opposing beef at the line. 

I had it with this guy at 13 seconds. That D was so weird  to me looked like the game was fixed. But no, we have an idiot running the show. He also lies outright to the fans and press. They never go back and look at anything and fix it. No  running game at 6 years. Penalties are constant. Every time he calls a defensive timeout the other team prevails. 

Pegula at least needs to fire Dorsey as McDermott wont as its the North Carolina CYA Trifecta team in Buffalo. 

So Terry, you better protect yer Asset NOW before hes trashed by these threse clowns. The entire national media knows it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"To this point, Cleveland's defense under Schwartz could be the most improved unit in the NFL; the Browns ranked 19th in efficiency last year. This season, they've been dominant."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38625012/how-jim-schwartz-transformed-cleveland-browns-nfl-defense

But that would still leave McDermott in charge, right?  So what’s the point?

• Like (+1) 1

I was all on board the fire Frazier train for his bend bend and do the limbo but dont break defense for most of last year. But now that McD has taken over our defense is now has done the exact same thing in 2 of our wins as Frazier's and just snapped and broken in 3 of our losses.  As to the Schwartz idea, there was a snowball's chance in hell that was going to happen with McD. There is no way that his ego or stubborn control streak would allow that.  Too bad though, Schwartz is an excellent D coordinator and beloved by his defensive squads. One of my only highlights of the Bill's drought years is Schwartz being carried by his players much to St.Doug's chagrin!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

But that would still leave McDermott in charge, right?  So what’s the point?

That would have been a problem. Schwartz would not have taken a DC job unless it included him being in charge of that side of the ball. And McDermott isn’t (willingly) ceding control of his defense anytime soon so there would be no way for them to coexist. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

When healthy early, this defense was as dominant as any. The injuries have killed us.

• Agree 1

I do think many of McDermott's in-game decisions are poor, but overall I think he'd be doing a lot better as coach if Beane was doing better at drafting.  The main reason so many teams are now better than the Bills is that they've hit on a lot more draft picks.  Epenesa has improved to meh status.  Basham was traded for a bag of donuts.  Elam is on "IR" to stash him in order to TRY to trade him for another bag of donuts down the road.  Harrison Phillips was OK but clearly wasn't going to be the stuffer they needed.  The Bills no longer have better personnel than other teams.  The NFL is largely talent-driven, and the Bills as of today have only two premium players, Allen and Diggs.  NONE on defense now that Milano is out. It's no wonder they aren't winning like they were.  

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Reminds me of Rex Ryan's blind spot as well.  His D, do it his way or the highway as they say.

It was Wrecks who pushed Schwartz out the door.  The Bills D was dominant in the last year before Wrecks arrived, and it immediately collapsed upon his arrival.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I do think many of McDermott's in-game decisions are poor, but overall I think he'd be doing a lot better as coach if Beane was doing better at drafting.  The main reason so many teams are now better than the Bills is that they've hit on a lot more draft picks.  Epenesa has improved to meh status.  Basham was traded for a bag of donuts.  Elam is on "IR" to stash him in order to TRY to trade him for another bag of donuts down the road.  Harrison Phillips was OK but clearly wasn't going to be the stuffer they needed.  The Bills no longer have better personnel than other teams.  The NFL is largely talent-driven, and the Bills as of today have only two premium players, Allen and Diggs.  NONE on defense now that Milano is out. It's no wonder they aren't winning like they were.  

It was Wrecks who pushed Schwartz out the door.  The Bills D was dominant in the last year before Wrecks arrived, and it immediately collapsed upon his arrival.

Real good post Utah John.  Our talent level relative to the rest of the league is nothing special.  3 premium players does not get you to Super Bowls.  Or even close for that matter.  I would argue that Kincaid will become a premium player.  (But have no idea why we invested so much money in Dawson Knox who athletically is easily in the bottom half of starting TE's in the league)  And I think Shakir can become a very good player if used properly.  I would put Cook in the good to very good level as well.  But decent RB's can be found at the local discount store.  Overall the talent is lacking.  And that is on Beane.  But I would add that McDermott and his staff in no way coaches up players to get the most out of their talent.  It seems to be an entire organization fail at this point.  

Any chance your boy Kyle Whittingham wants to leave Utah and become the Bills head coach?  I think his vibe would work wonders for us.  Bring in a good OC with him, and we will be top dog within two years.

McDermott is never going to hire anyone that could potentially replace him, on either side.  

Once Pegula figures that out, meaning that it's incredibly unlikely that McD actually hires a qualified proven competent OC, it's over for McD.  

The question is when Pegs will figure that out, if ever.  Otherwise the Allen-era will be like our Kelly-era, forever wondering what could have been with better coaching.  

20 hours ago, Bagwell358 said:

McDermott was never going to change his philosophy and give up the reigns to his defense to Schwartz 

McDermott is Tony dungy, i would prefer Schwartz to be head coach next year.

20 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Who’s to say Schwartz would’ve even come back??  He wanted the HC position here but was passed over. 

he went to Cleveland as DC and it would be better for his career if he was on a better team like the Bills, even though we are under performing with this current coaching staff.

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Would’ve been great except for one major problem. Schwartz was already hired by the Browns before Bills season ended last year.

dont ruin this with facts 😅😅

17 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

How about Doug Marrone for OC?

marone sucks Schwartz does not

16 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

our players wouldn't fit that system.

our players didn't fit the system when he got here and he fixed our run defense and defense overall.

16 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Should have hired Schwartz as HC instead of Ryan but that ship sailed a long time ago.

i totally thought that.

hard to say were would we be now, but we can make him head coach again

12 hours ago, Utah John said:

Beane definitely needs to draft better, he does good with free agents 

11 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Maybe another change should be in order?

I've been a huge McDermott fan but i think hes that guy who fixes the ship but not the captain to sail it.

Yes, as soon as I saw that he was the OC of Cleveland I knew they would be one of the best defenses in the league.

It is especially important this year, as McDermott cannot adequately address the catastrophic happenings in the offense this year as the HC and defensive coordinator. 

He cannot be in all places at all times and as just the HC he would be more directly on top of this undoing of his team by an extremely incompetent OC.

Edited by Mister Defense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.