Building opinion that Josh is not committed to the Bills/football?

UKBillFan

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Yeah, I am going to have to call BS on the bold in an attempt to cloak your true feelings based on what "others are saying".  Man up and speak your truth and not hide behind the skirts of others.  

I think the issues with Josh are deeper and commitment to the role is nothing to do with it. I think last year affected the whole franchise badly mentally and I'm not sure whether everyone is fully with it. My belief is Josh made exactly the right decision taking a step back from football across the post season, and those saying "he's not working hard enough" are using it as a quick excuse rather than looking at deeper issues at Two Bills Drive which go well beyond the QB.

But those who claim he isn't working hard enough should own it and what they're actually alluding to. Not the cheap "Hollywood" jibes which are starting to get under my skin.

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't think he trusts anything going on out there.  

There's quite possibly something to that.  

He's got confidence in his arm.  He's gotta be wondering why his choice of Dorsey isn't dialing up the plays that make his peers perform better and much more consistently.  

That's what would be going through my mind if I were in his shoes.  

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Two new guards which have made a marked improvement on the OL, Kincaid, the WR depth in theory is better this year than last...at least on paper.   Maybe the WR's are a wash...I expected more out of Harty and Sherfield.  The Bills outspend the cap most than almost any other team, you cannot say they have not given him help and be serious.  You really think if you replace Gabe with Tee Higgins, the whole thing changes?   

Yes, I can. Tee Higgins changes this whole offense. Why was everyone pining for Hopkins all off-season? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he cares a ton and he wants so badly to win.  I also think he is a headcase who struggles to get out of his own head and just play.  He talks about it all the time (the Sinatra music before games, having to keep himself calm, etc.) that it is such a THING now...he has given it so much power.

Wonder if Allen isn't being distracted by what I call the Ryan Miller syndrome (former Sabres goalie)

Ryan hooked up with a Hollywood actress who decided she didn't want to be in Buffalo..Miller asked for a trade to the west coast so she could be closer to her work.

In at least 2, or maybe 3 interviews I've seen with Allen very recently, he has mentioned how the team is close because they get together a lot as there is really nothing to do in Buffalo..no nightlife...never heard him complain about that before.

May not be at the core of his problems, but could certainly be a distraction

• Eyeroll 2

Ill tell you what hes sick of....

sick of this staff....sick of these play calls.....sick of being told to dial it back when its only thing that will probably give this football team a chance to win these games.

I promise you hell be smoking stogies and having a ball with the newly installed basketball hoop in the lockeroom.

Get rid of the staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He is at the top or near the top on every statistical category for QBs.  People insisting that is not good enough is just stupid. 

this

There is no metric that suggests he's performing at anything other than a top1-3 level in the NFL

So of course the narrative will be that he doesn't watch enough film and is lazy/uncommitted/playing poorly

Allen is one of the few things on the team working properly this season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it's the opposite. To me, Allen (and McDermott) both come across as wanting more than anything in the world to win for this team and this city. 

What I've noticed is that Josh just sounds defeated.

I keep saying it, but Josh's "same s*** different day" comment right after the week 1 loss to the Jets was a window into his mindset. 

Same ***? It was week 1! It's one game and already the "here we go again" stuff was there.

That tells me there is long-term frustration and discontent that is real and not something we can wish away when national reporters (who ALWAYS have Bills scoops over the local Buffalo guys) report on it. 

I think that comes from not knowing what to do to fix things and get the offense back, and the frustration that comes from that. To work like crazy, prepare, study, practice and then come up with those results on a regular basis now has got to eat away at you. 

You can "work harder" all you want but if your effort is going in the wrong direction it doesn't matter. 

• Agree 1

The offensive problems could very well be Josh Allen’s fault, and it’s possible he’s not as dedicated to his craft as he should be, but it doesn’t really matter. Josh has proven what he’s capable of and Dorsey and McDermott are ultimately responsible for getting the most out of him.  If it’s not happening, they need to go and we try something else.  There are about two people on the planet with Josh Allen’s skill set; guys like Dorsey and McDermott are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of talented coordinators and coaches who would love to work with Josh Allen. We need to get rid of these clowns now, before they further de-value the franchise’s prize asset.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't think he trusts his protection, his receivers, or the game plan.  But there are plays out there to be made and he isn't making the right decision.  His body language increasingly looks like a guy who is checking out.  There is something fatally wrong with this team.

its called Dorsey and maybe McD

2 hours ago, Shemp said:

This is the scouting report on Josh from Univ. Wyoming. Has much changed?

https://tdscouting.com/allenreport

He's cleaned up the accuracy for the most part with some regression but hard to say if injury related.  the rest of if about mental approach was better with Daboll than Dorsey but existed with Daboll and is running scott free with Dorsey.

Without being in the meeting rooms or watching films knowing the play design none of us can really answer these questions. There is no question about Josh's athletic ability. Its about how he is playing the position of QB. He has a skillset that can turn bad decisions into positive outcomes. The issue is if he is not making the right reads or adjustments then he is hurting the team. Its not going to always show by us simply watching the game. Its like in basketball you watch some guy go off for like 40 points and the team loses. On the surface you can see it was not because of him. But maybe he was not getting other guys involved or doing certain things on defense that actually hurt the team. Allen has the ball in his hand every play. He is an elite athlete so will always look like a star. But if he is surviving on that alone it could be detrimental. Again, not saying this is the case. But none of us really know. Just watching it looks like he is doing everything he can to win. Makes more good plays than bad. Yet overall something is not right either with him, the coaches or the supporting cast because its failing. 

2 hours ago, Punch said:

That's a good question, I've seen him do some interviews every now and then discussing his time with Josh but I don't know if they still speak. Then again, I don't know how common it is for an NFL veteran to continue that sort of mentorship.

IIRC Brady kept his for a long time and both of the Mannings worked with their college coach.  

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

After every defeat - and sadly there has been a few this season - it feels like people make jibes at Josh’s work ethic, and that he doesn’t do enough off the field to help himself on it.

For me, if that is the case (and I’m not someone who subscribes to that line of thought) then surely that indicates he has been at best distracted, or at worse has lost passion, for football and/or the Bills?

So I guess my question for those who say that Josh’s approach to the pre-season and possibly since has affected him going forward, are you concerned that Josh does lack commitment to either the Bills and/or football and, if so, what can be done to get it back?

ETA after a couple of reactions - I do not think this. But I've seen so many comments made about watching film and his post season routine last time out that I want to see if some fans are willing to accept that, when saying he doesn't do enough work, it's accusing him of something deeper.

you must be new here- Everything is everyone else’s fault. The $250 million man is a flawless bargain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The one shot at saving this season IMO is to let Dorsey go right now, and give the next guy up a shot at calling plays and making the game plan. Good chance that won't work, and it could get even worse. But what we're doing right now seems to be a sure path out of the playoffs.

I've lost faith in McDermott as the guy who can bring a championship. We're in big trouble next year with overpaid, older players who aren't living up to their contracts. In the meantime Allen and Diggs just keep getting older every wasted season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm critical of Josh, but I don't think this is the issue.

If anything, he may be putting added pressure on himself to work harder & improve, which has resulted in uncharacteristic play. He knows last year was a struggle, especially the 2nd half & the playoffs. He knows people blamed HIM for the Diggs situation. He knows he leads the league in turnovers the past several years. 

So knowing all that, he's likely trying to make changes & play differently. Unfortunately, it's still not working out, and I'm not sure the surrounding players/play calling are helping him with that. Josh is still turning it over, but so are others. Along with the penalties, still no commitment to running the ball, dropped passes, etc. it's only adding to the difficulties Josh is having.

I think this is mostly it.  Allen is feeling incredible pressure to make a play because the offense is struggling.  Too many draft picks on defense and too much FA money on defense.  Only this year did the first 2 picks go offense.  Beane messed up at WR last year thinking Davis and McKenzie were WR2 and Wr3 capable.  Beane missed on Cody Ford and he missed on Brown too.  Kincaid and Torrence look good so far but now the defense is starting to age out.  So they have holes on both sides of the ball.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

this

There is no metric that suggests he's performing at anything other than a top1-3 level in the NFL

So of course the narrative will be that he doesn't watch enough film and is lazy/uncommitted/playing poorly

Allen is one of the few things on the team working properly this season

numbers and eye-test don't match once again.

He was electric in weeks 2,3,4,5. Was not in 1,6,7,8 and 9.

Think the numbers are skewed by the 4 good weeks.

• Agree 1

Sometimes we see Josh on the sidelines with a blank stare like he is completely not there. I know that look because I do it too as a defense mechanism.

Now having said this, Josh is on the very bottom of the list of problems with this program (if he even is a problem).

he cares and tries crazy hard on game day.

im not sure what his off season and week to week stuff looks like, but ill bet he is not as dialed in as brady was, for exmpale.

he keeps making the same friggen mistakes, and in the same situations.  he makes terrible decisions leading to turnovers at least once a game.  and i'm not talking about forcing the ball to win, i mean another guy was open and he just forces it out of frustration.  at the end of the day, i blame coaches for that, but it isn't possible that josh is doing absolutely everything he can to prepare and these things keep happening.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

He is at the top or near the top on every statistical category for QBs.  People insisting that is not good enough is just stupid. 

Josh Allen is always going to be a statistical monster.

That doesn't mean he's got what it takes to WIN the Super Bowl.  

Dan Marino destroyed the record books when he was playing.  Joe Montana was the one that won the rings.

Tom Brady's stats were average compared to many of the other greats during his time (Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees).  But he won more championships than all of them combined.

• Eyeroll 1

I really think Allen plays his best when the Bills are playing complimentary football, forcing turnovers on defense and Allen capitalizes on them. In all over our “blowout” wins you would see this. The fact is, even when the Defense is playing well, we never get turnovers anymore, and that hurts…. A lot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shemp said:

This is the scouting report on Josh from Univ. Wyoming. Has much changed?

https://tdscouting.com/allenreport

Remarkable…. It’s him in a nutshell… especially where they tie accuracy to decisions making. While he clear improved throwing mechanics, a lot of the rest of it is spot on. 

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

What evidence is there for this?

Well I suppose leading the league in turnovers since 2018 is a start.......but it's more often what he doesn't do.........and we just write it off because he's our guy.

6 years in the league and on his second OC and they still can't execute a screen play.   Never draws opponents Offside with cadence.    These aren't the primary problems but they should illustrate the degree of lack of attention to detail in his game.   Which shows up more notably in his shaky field vision and pre-snap reads,  poor decisions in setting protection and directing run plays etc..    

He doesn't have the grasp he should for the 6th year in the system.    When you have to admit that he has to operate an up-tempo no-huddle ultra-simplified gameplan to be effective you know the QB just isn't playing smart football.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Something happened to Josh after the Demar situation.  He also broke up with his longtime girlfriend around that time. He‘a shown glimpses of  greatness since but has never completely returned back to his old self IMO.  Pure speculation on my part. 

She broke up with him after he got a bartender pregnant. Yes, a bartender. Then, he starts dating someone from Hollywood, I think. Word is he's dating an actress. Not laying blame, just trying to clarify the break up. 

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s like a bad relationship that you want to last.  We all know this iteration of the Bills is over.  Maybe Dorsey is gone.  Maybe it’s Dorsey and McD.  Or maybe it’s them and Diggs and Allen, too.  

I gave them a pass last year because of the reported and unreported nonsense that occurred.   But maybe that was too gentle.  We just don’t have it.  The only hope is that Allen goes on an out of his mind heater and we luck into something.  But otherwise, this group ain’t it. 

It’s really been over since 13 seconds. The denial now is just wasting time. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

She broke up with him after he got a bartender pregnant. Yes, a bartender. Then, he starts dating someone from Hollywood, I think. Word is he's dating an actress. Not laying blame, just trying to clarify the break up. 

Yes thank you Brittany 😂

Edited by Shanahan's Horseshoe

15 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Josh Allen is always going to be a statistical monster.

That doesn't mean he's got what it takes to WIN the Super Bowl.  

Dan Marino destroyed the record books when he was playing.  Joe Montana was the one that won the rings.

Tom Brady's stats were average compared to many of the other greats during his time (Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees).  But he won more championships than all of them combined.

Allen put the Bills in their best position to win a Super Bowl since 1993 and then 13 seconds happened.  That alone proves that Allen has what it takes to lead a team to a Super Bowl win.  Thirteen seconds should have opened all our eyes to where the REAL problem lies with this franchise and it's not with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.