Building opinion that Josh is not committed to the Bills/football?

UKBillFan

After every defeat - and sadly there has been a few this season - it feels like people make jibes at Josh’s work ethic, and that he doesn’t do enough off the field to help himself on it.

For me, if that is the case (and I’m not someone who subscribes to that line of thought) then surely that indicates he has been at best distracted, or at worse has lost passion, for football and/or the Bills?

So I guess my question for those who say that Josh’s approach to the pre-season and possibly since has affected him going forward, are you concerned that Josh does lack commitment to either the Bills and/or football and, if so, what can be done to get it back?

ETA after a couple of reactions - I do not think this. But I've seen so many comments made about watching film and his post season routine last time out that I want to see if some fans are willing to accept that, when saying he doesn't do enough work, it's accusing him of something deeper.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 8

IMHO, listening to Josh speak about the nuances of offensive scheme, et al, it certainly seems like he's studying. The work he's put in to improve his game all through college and in past offseasons with Jordan Palmer and so forth has become the stuff of legend.

None of that means he's actually putting in all the requisite work, but I see no evidence to the contrary. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think he trusts anything going on out there.  

We also don't have the talent people want to believe we do.  Diggs, Kincaid & a good OL should be enough to be way better than we've been, but outside of that he's throwing to a RD4 WR and RD5 WR.   They're ok.. but it's getting to the point where Shakir may be a more reliable option than Davis.. which isn't saying much. 

Combine that with our OC seeming incapable of adjustments or any semblance of cohesive game-flow and we get what we've been seeing. 

....which makes Josh Allen look like what the OP alludes to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Just now, SCBills said:

I don't think he trusts anything going on out there.  

We also don't have the talent people want to believe we do.  Diggs, Kincaid & a good OL should be enough to be way better than we've been, but outside of that he's throwing to a RD4 WR and RD5 WR.   They're ok.. but it's getting to the point where Shakir may be a more reliable option than Davis.. which isn't saying much. 

Combine that with our OC seeming incapable of adjustments or any semblance of cohesive game-flow and we get what we've been seeing. 

....which makes Josh Allen look like what the OP alludes to.

I’ve landed on coaching and staleness.  I’m with you.  What we have should be enough to get it done.  But it’s not working.  Too many bubbling comments from players questioning strategy and approach.  The diggs frustration last year was real and warranted.  McD always seems to find a way back.  This way back might involve canning the offensive staff.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Punch said:

IMHO, listening to Josh speak about the nuances of offensive scheme, et al, it certainly seems like he's studying. The work he's put in to improve his game all through college and in past offseasons with Jordan Palmer and so forth has become the stuff of legend.

None of that means he's actually putting in all the requisite work, but I see no evidence to the contrary. 

Where is Jordan Palmer these days?  Seems like he was a fixture in Josh’s development to stardom.  Now nothing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I've often wondered if he is going to announce leaving football to pursue a career in golf.  Scares me but it has crossed my mind.

In all seriousness, he probably realizes that his dream of winning a SB in Buffalo is getting further and further away.  I don't think he ever fully recovered from leaving the field a winner and then 13 seconds happened.  He was in a QB zone the likes we've never seen and the man never saw the ball again.

• Haha (+1) 3

It’s like a bad relationship that you want to last.  We all know this iteration of the Bills is over.  Maybe Dorsey is gone.  Maybe it’s Dorsey and McD.  Or maybe it’s them and Diggs and Allen, too.  

I gave them a pass last year because of the reported and unreported nonsense that occurred.   But maybe that was too gentle.  We just don’t have it.  The only hope is that Allen goes on an out of his mind heater and we luck into something.  But otherwise, this group ain’t it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To me, it feels like that’s where some fans are, even if they’re not saying it explicitly.

I believe these fans are nincompoops. 

Look, Josh isn’t without fault, but anyone bailing on him or bagging on him for “not being committed to football” is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I've often wondered if he is going to announce leaving football to pursue a career in golf.  Scares me but it has crossed my mind.

In all seriousness, he probably realizes that his dream of winning a SB in Buffalo is getting further and further away.  I don't think he ever fully recovered from leaving the field a winner and then 13 seconds happened.  He was in a QB zone the likes we've never seen and the man never saw the ball again.

He sucks at golf. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Is it possible that he’s frustrated with actually doing the work, putting in the effort, and then Dorsey doesn’t execute. Or Davis doesn’t execute. And it’s wearing on him?

We all have bosses that screw up and make us look bad. Co-Workers that don’t do their part. And on those days, none of us come home happy or excited to go back. I imagine that Josh is the same way. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

Those fans are imbeciles.

1 minute ago, Blank Stare said:

I believe these fans are nincompoops. 

Look, Josh isn’t without fault, but anyone bailing on him or bagging on him for “not being committed to football” is ridiculous. 

It all stems from the post season - "he spent too much time filming adverts, dating an actress, playing golf rather than concentrating on football."

In truth, after the mess of 2022 and what happened to Hamlin, I wouldn't blame any Bills player if they wanted a complete break from the game for the post season.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Where is Jordan Palmer these days?  Seems like he was a fixture in Josh’s development to stardom.  Now nothing.  

That's a good question, I've seen him do some interviews every now and then discussing his time with Josh but I don't know if they still speak. Then again, I don't know how common it is for an NFL veteran to continue that sort of mentorship.

I'm critical of Josh, but I don't think this is the issue.

If anything, he may be putting added pressure on himself to work harder & improve, which has resulted in uncharacteristic play. He knows last year was a struggle, especially the 2nd half & the playoffs. He knows people blamed HIM for the Diggs situation. He knows he leads the league in turnovers the past several years. 

So knowing all that, he's likely trying to make changes & play differently. Unfortunately, it's still not working out, and I'm not sure the surrounding players/play calling are helping him with that. Josh is still turning it over, but so are others. Along with the penalties, still no commitment to running the ball, dropped passes, etc. it's only adding to the difficulties Josh is having.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

He will pull a Andrew Luck soon

• Sad 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Punch said:

There are different levels of commitment.  

Just watch the Quarterback documentary on Netflix.  

Patrick Mahomes eats, sleeps and breathes football from the moment he wakes up.  Then you have Kirk Cousins, who clearly puts in the effort to be good.  But he's also dedicated to his family and doing charity work in the community.  Then you have Marcus Mariota studying his plays on flash cards with his wife at the kitchen table.  

I don't think fans are accusing Josh Allen of being the second-coming of Jamarcus Russell.  But that doesn't mean he's putting in the same effort as his peers around the NFL, or that he's putting in the work he did earlier in his career.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Golf ???? He's got no shot at playing pro golf - zero. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm starting to think that maybe Josh has the same line of thought that the fans do. He knows they haven't given him any help, whatsoever. Kincaid, yes, but still a rookie. Maybe he realizes he is going nowhere with these coaches and he knows Stefon is about to walk. If he loses Diggs, this team is virtually done. Which I think they are with this coaching staff anyways. Terry needs to wake the ***** up, if he really cares. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Blackbeard said:

Link?  

If not, just stop.   Last thing we need is more media speculation.  

Not in the media - on here. Take a look at the Why Does Josh hesitate now thread.

"He is not doing the work leading up to the games and pre-snap so he has to find solutions during live fire."

"Josh isn't prepared like a top-end NFL QB should be with justification that he doesn't need as much prep because teams play him different than other QB's.  Not ideal."

"A couple weeks ago there was a story mentioned on ESPN about Joe Burrow's parents being in Cincinnati between games and calling Joe for a visit.  He reportedly turned them down and said he didn't have time and needed to concentrate on the upcoming game.  So he blew his parents off.  That's a douchey move imo.  Seeing the link made me thing of that!  ESPN made it sound like Joe is so laser focused on football and wanting to be the best, that's all."

"I don't believe Josh Allen is putting in the work needed anymore to become a great Quarterback, and has become totally reliant on his physical abilities."

8 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

If anything, he may be putting added pressure on himself to work harder & improve, which has resulted in uncharacteristic play. He knows last year was a struggle, especially the 2nd half & the playoffs. He knows people blamed HIM for the Diggs situation. He knows he leads the league in turnovers the past several years. 

So knowing all that, he's likely trying to make changes & play differently. Unfortunately, it's still not working out, and I'm not sure the surrounding players/play calling are helping him with that. Josh is still turning it over, but so are others. Along with the penalties, still no commitment to running the ball, dropped passes, etc. it's only adding to the difficulties Josh is having.

Yes.  And we should also let 2 Bills Drive coach and GM the team.

Read through this forum right now.  The most INSANE things are being written.

1 minute ago, Bubba Gump said:

He knows they haven't given him any help

Two new guards which have made a marked improvement on the OL, Kincaid, the WR depth in theory is better this year than last...at least on paper.   Maybe the WR's are a wash...I expected more out of Harty and Sherfield.  The Bills outspend the cap most than almost any other team, you cannot say they have not given him help and be serious.  You really think if you replace Gabe with Tee Higgins, the whole thing changes?   

• Haha (+1) 1

The problem is the coaching staff much like the fans think Josh playing out of his mind is enough to get over the hump.    Its clearly not realistic to put your entire ability to win 100% on one player no matter how talented he is  They have had 6 years to figure out short yardage running and still using him as a battering ram  Still no creativity or ability to scheme up easy yards for the offense   .They have had 3 years to add  a real NFL talent to Diggs  on the outside   Still waiting  ....  OL still cant muster a run game   Meanwhile the defense has gotten old

Mahomes can have a sub par or mediocre game and the Chiefs will find a way to win  Josh has to be very good to fantastic for the team to have a chance to win and sometimes (13 seconds) its still not enough.  

We can all speculate all day long but there’s clearly something wrong with the Bills this year. The question is does management see it too. As of right now I’m not so sure that they do. I loved last week’s free agency signings…but we’ll see how the team reacts. If nothing changes on the field something significant has to be done. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

I think that very few people really know how much work JA is putting in off the field.

But his inability to make the correct pre-snap read of the defense, and/or his inability to find the open receiver, and/or his inability to make the proper moves in the pocket (getting happy feet in the pocket when there’s no need to), all make one wonder if he's just lazy, or maybe something else is at play. In his 6th year, one would think he'd have the aforementioned things mastered.

24 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Everyone has to be themselves.  Lean into what makes us who we are.  That’s it in a nutshell.   I appreciate trying to help extend Josh’s career, and some moderation in his out of pocket activity is good.  But he’s a football player, not a QB, first.  So let him run around and hit people and do his think.  Let him play with emotion.  Let’s go back to having fun.  Because this robotic careful nonsense is not going to cut it.  He, and we, will not win a Super Bowl with this style.  So cut it loose and let the chips fall where they may and let’s go down swinging. 

48 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

For me, if that is the case (and I’m not someone who subscribes to that line of thought) then surely that indicates he has been at best distracted, or at worse has lost passion, for football and/or the Bills?

Yeah, I am going to have to call BS on the bold in an attempt to cloak your true feelings based on what "others are saying".  Man up and speak your truth and not hide behind the skirts of others.  

total nonsense.  

This team has no running game what so ever.  They have a changeup scat back as their lead guy and they give him the ball 8 times a game topps.  Any run that is not given to him where he has to immediately run between the b gap he turns and heads to the sideline trying to outrun everyone.

No qb in the nfl now or ever can win without a running game.  Cincy was able to play their defense last night with no fear of buffalo running the ball.  That is nuts.

The offensive line went backwards at the snap all night last night.  This creates a situation where allen has to be superman...there is zero margin for error.  

I can not believe people blame allen for the troubles of the offense.  It blows my mind.  Someone yesterday said they should trade him for picks as if Josh Allen's are in every draft.  

The philosophy of this team needs to change.   You have to be able to run the ball into big fronts even when you are losing or you create the situation we saw last night.

11 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I think that very few people really know how much work JA is putting in off the field.

But his inability to make the correct pre-snap read of the defense, and/or his inability to find the open receiver, and/or his inability to make the proper moves in the pocket (getting happy feet in the pocket when there’s no need to), all make one wonder if he's just lazy, or maybe something else is at play. In his 6th year, one would think he'd have the aforementioned things mastered.

I don't think he trusts his protection, his receivers, or the game plan.  But there are plays out there to be made and he isn't making the right decision.  His body language increasingly looks like a guy who is checking out.  There is something fatally wrong with this team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.