Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

Just now, BigAl2526 said:

I just have one thing I wonder about.  How comfortable will he be if the Bills play him versus the Bengals?  Yes, I read the post about him coming in and playing right away last year at Philadelphia, but I don't know how similar the defenses are.  Is Buffalo's defense pretty similar to what he's played in the past?  At his age, I imagine the Bills would view him as a rotational player.

It's important to remember that while the whole defense might not be the same he only has to learn one aspect of it, the D-line.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Success said:

We could really use him & Douglas against the Bengals. It will be interesting to see how much both play, if at all.

This is such a key game for the season.  We have left little margin for error with bad losses to the Jets & Pats. Now, the pressure is on to beat the better teams on our schedule.  Feels like we have to win 2 of 3 out of Cincy, KC & Philly..

I’d prefer if the game @ CIN was next week rather than just days after the deadline but it is what it is. These moves are for the stretch run.  Not expecting to see both these guys out there Sunday night but will be pleasantly surprised if they are. 

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I just have one thing I wonder about.  How comfortable will he be if the Bills play him versus the Bengals?  Yes, I read the post about him coming in and playing right away last year at Philadelphia, but I don't know how similar the defenses are.  Is Buffalo's defense pretty similar to what he's played in the past?  At his age, I imagine the Bills would view him as a rotational player.

Defensive line isn't too bad.  Most of what you have to know is gap integrity, and a 1T has a pretty clear gap.  Other than that its "see the ball, get the ball".  

Stunts/twists are possible?  But i doubt he'd be too heavily involved in those types of plays as they really brought him in to be stout at the interior point of attack.  

• Like (+1) 1

TBD Posters:  

"Bills suck"

"Bills have no chance"

"Bills window has closed"

"Bills should be sellers at the deadline"

"Bills won't make the playoffs"

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

Beane: "Hey Linval, we are trying to win a Super Bowl, do you want to come join us?"

Linval Joseph: "Hell yeah! Where do I sign?"

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

He is obviously older but takes fantastic care of himself. My favorite all time ECU Pirate and an awesome human being. For what we are going to ask him to do he will be a great fit.

How many really good ECU players have their been ?

QB Jeff Blake had a solid career. 

Did former Titan RB Chris Johnson play at ECU?

And didn’t Zay Jones also?

13 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

How many really good ECU players have their been ?

QB Jeff Blake had a solid career. 

Did former Titan RB Chris Johnson play at ECU?

And didn’t Zay Jones also?

David Garrard was a very underrated QB, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

At one point in my life I was a very very fit, 6'2, 160 pound, 20-something year old who likely couldn't run a 40 in 5.04. 

I am always amazed how twitchy these NFL players are. It is remarkable. 

I ran a 40 at a scouting event in highschool. I was a 6'1" 195 lb safety. I ran a 5.12 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Hell yes!!  Huge body in the middle that can clog up running lanes!!

This is the player I wanted them to get...will give us what we are missing from DaQuan against the run at least, not as much pass rush upside but whatever, he can off the field on 3rd downs...

Elam to IR was kinda foreshadowed by Beane yesterday

Unless I'm much mistaken, pass rush isn't so much what's wanted from the 1TDT in McD's defense.  That DaQuan was doing his job AND generating some stats (tackles, sacks) was gravy.  Keep the backers clean and get some push up the middle against the pass, clog up blockers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

He is tailor made for us.  We needed a true 1 technique, not as good as Daquan, as Jones doesn’t just clog the interior, he penetrates.  Joseph will at least clog up the middle for Oliver and Phillips to hunt.  Interior pressure is key to McD’ s defense.  That and the defensive backs.  Well, we just replenished badly needed bodies in these areas.  In time with snaps Williams will grow at the Wil and Bernard has shown already his progress since year 1.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

He is tailor made for us.  We needed a true 1 technique, not as good as Daquan, as Jones doesn’t just clog the interior, he penetrates.  Joseph will at least clog up the middle for Oliver and Phillips to hunt.  Interior pressure is key to McD’ s defense.  That and the defensive backs.  Well, we just replenished badly needed bodies in these areas.  In time with snaps Williams will grow at the Wil and Bernard has shown already his progress since year 1.

Huzzah, my friend.

My goodness so many on this Board have slandered you through the years with stating you are lazy, dangerous, insane, glutenous, bifurcated, obscene,  sexually deviant, careless, heartless, ruthless, toothless, mirthless, brash, swarthy, condescending, prickly, cantankerous, boisterous,  egotistical, geriatrical, complicated, rude, obnoxious, demeaning, critical, clinical, technical and even mayoral...

...and where are they all now after such a great post above?

👀

I say bravo to you...bravo.   

😉

BTW, Beane...ya done good, Sir.  You done real, real good the last couple of days.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I guess I approve but isn’t this what Poona was supposed to be doing? 

Yes, but sometimes things dont always work out as planned. And Im not sure anyone would have ever made the argument that Ford was better than Joseph. But only one was willing to start playing in July

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I love DaQuan and he certainly provides more pass rush than Linval. 

But, I think Linval is probably better at consistently taking on 2 O-Linemen

Yes, this should free up Oliver 

How about a few fronts with Von lined up as the "OLB" 

Von      Floyd Joseph Oliver Rousseau 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.