Rasul Douglas to Bills - per Rap

SCBills

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And we are getting a 3rd round pick for Edmunds leaving.  So it's a player and a 5th round pick for a late-ish 3rd rounder and will have another 3rd round pick that they have available equating to a 4th after the trade.

What's the issue?

Not neccearily an issue, but worth noting. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can imagine Rasul’s reaction today:

”Rasul, you’re being traded. Best of luck to you!”

”Thank God!  I’m finally leaving this motherflucking icy wasteland!  Where am I going?”

”Ummm………..Buffalo”

”MOTHERFLUCKER!!”

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After reading his bio from the Bills I'm an even bigger fan

Benford and Jackson have been doing pretty well and we have our safeties. Douglas will be a nice player for the defense and didn't cost a ton.

I'm shocked Elam is still here, so MAYBE he flashes when given a chance (if that ever occurs) and suddenly we have a room full of solid CBs.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

There were two prices in that trade to happen.  Bears and the players.  Bears wanted a lot and Johnson wanted to get paid with an extension.

Bears likely wanted a 1st (considering where the Bills first rounder was going to be), which I think Beane would have been fine paying, but unlikely he was gonna give Jalon Johnson Denzel Ward Money (~20M AAV), for someone who's been mostly good to ok for his first 3 years, and closer to elite for 7-8 games this year

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. Dude would have been a monster here though. 

No question.  I'm sure everyone would have liked him over this trade which is why people are being salty but only way it would have worked would be to give him the Watson deal where he makes nothing his 1st year and then 15m next year. 

Even then, it would have been pretty hard to swallow with Josh, Diggs and Von hitting hard on the cap next year and we need to think about the future.  Keeping and having more picks is the right move to try to hit on something to replace Hyde and Poyer as well as others.

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Rasul Douglas:

6 INTs in the 4th quarter or OT since 2021

Most among all CBs

i think this might be it.

a guy who has the hardscrable story mccoach loves, along w strong play when the game is on the line, it means he doesn't shrink in the moment, which our D has specialized in for some time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I can imagine Rasul’s reaction today:

”Rasul, you’re being traded. Best of luck to you!”

”Thank God!  I’m finally leaving this motherflucking icy wasteland!  Where am I going?”

”Ummm………..Buffalo”

”MOTHERFLUCKER!!”

He's from New Jersey, he can handle it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Benford and Jackson have been doing pretty well and we have our safeties. Douglas will be a nice player for the defense and didn't cost a ton.

I'm shocked Elam is still here, so MAYBE he flashes when given a chance (if that ever occurs) and suddenly we have a room full of solid CBs.

He's cheap depth that's worth more than the 6th rounder they'd get for him (he's got 3M & 4M in guarenteed money next two years, respectively, which lowers his trade value some)

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

My guess is the returns being offered were so low - you might as well hold on to him and hope he's a late bloomer.

The CB we just acquired was a 3rd Round Pick who was considered a bust. Floated around the league a bunch. Ended up in Green Bay and then flourished.

Sometimes it takes a long time for the light to go on for a player. Look at AJ Epenesa. He was completely written off and over the past year and a half he looks like a different player.

If the offers were in the Round 5-7 range, might as well hold on to him. If we gave the guy away and then he develops elsewhere, it would look real foolish.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Why give up on a potentially talented player. He’s gotten very little run and is lacking reps.  Let’s see what he’s got he’s not co$ting much.  I look at him I see potential not sucks.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Art in PNS said:

So looking at finishes the Bills #rd will be closer to an Early 4th rounder and the Packers 5th will wind up being closer to a late 4th so to me is a player and swap of positions in the 4th rather than what sounds like a 2 round difference. I think its a good deal as long as he renegotiates 2024 salary .

His cap hit is $9m next year … what do you want him to cut his pay down to?

I think if the Bills like what they see the rest of this season… then they sign him to an extension and push out his cost… but I still expect him to get the $9m

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Why give up on a potentially talented player. He’s gotten very little run and is lacking reps.  Let’s see what he’s got he’s not co$ting much.  I look at him I see raw talent not sucks.

I always liked Elam, so I'm good with it, just shocked since they seem determined that he is not going to play

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty much what I said...in a room full of "Dawgs", he fits like a glove.

2 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Why give up on a potentially talented player. He’s gotten very little run and is lacking reps.  Let’s see what he’s got he’s not co$ting much.  I look at him I see potential not sucks.

Perhaps they plan on Douglas trying to mentor him as well?  

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

From PFF, week 8 rankings:

"A new name atop the rankings: Rasul Douglas continues to grade highly and prevent separation. He allowed a touchdown on a pick route against the Broncos in Week 7 but was excellent otherwise, making a pass stop and allowing just two catches for 11 yards."

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-8-cornerback-rankings-2023

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

East Orange, to be exact

They don't know what soft is

Ask Naughty By Nature how East Orange is...one of the worst ghettos in the country up there with East Saint Louis.  

When I went to Saint Louis University and we went over into East Saint Louis on alcohol runs, the rule was you better get your ass out of there before the sun goes down.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would think the learning curve for cbs isn’t as hard as it is for other positions and we just need bodies. 

Well, there’s a reason why the CB section of the defensive playbook is the thinnest but, that said, McD’s zone coverage schemes are a tad more complex for CBs. But it ain’t rocket science regardless and I suspect it will be a fast transition for an experienced vet like Douglas. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My guess is the returns being offered were so low - you might as well hold on to him and hope he's a late bloomer.

The CB we just acquired was a 3rd Round Pick who was considered a bust. Floated around the league a bunch. Ended up in Green Bay and then flourished.

Sometimes it takes a long time for the light to go on for a player. Look at AJ Epenesa. He was completely written off and over the past year and a half he looks like a different player.

If the offers were in the Round 5-7 range, might as well hold on to him. If we gave the guy away and then he develops elsewhere, it would look real foolish.

Good post. Everyone loves labeling players bust first. I haven’t seen much from Elam to be overly optimistic. But he is trying to play corner (the physically hardest position in football) on a team playing for a SB. So there is zero margin for error and any mistake he makes, let’s to him not playing. 

what does a 6th or 7th really do for this team? All accounts are he’s a real good dude so as you said, let’s hope he “gets it.”

32 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Profootballtalk says he was drafted by the Eagles, and spent time with the Panthers, Raiders, Texans, Cardinals, Packers and now the Bills.   No its clearly 7 teams.  Dude has been waived multiple times.   Not what I think when I give up a 3rd.

So what I'm getting is he played for the Panthers.

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He has two Cane Corsos?

220px-Cane_corso_temi_1_1024x768x24.png

Can they play DT?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

From PFF, week 8 rankings:

"A new name atop the rankings: Rasul Douglas continues to grade highly and prevent separation. He allowed a touchdown on a pick route against the Broncos in Week 7 but was excellent otherwise, making a pass stop and allowing just two catches for 11 yards."

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-8-cornerback-rankings-2023

I appreciate this positive report but this is the problem with blindly trusting PFF grades.  It’s one thing to do this against the Broncos. It’s another to do this against the Fins (which White did). 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, there’s a reason why the CB section of the defensive playbook is the thinnest but, that said, McD’s zone coverage schemes are a tad more complex for CBs. But it ain’t rocket science regardless and I suspect it will be a fast transition for an experienced vet like Douglas. 

Probably going to play like a nickel or dime role at first, you think? Get his feet wet?

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think the people saying they’ve never heard of Rasul Douglas are proving the point they think they are 😂

You couldn't have said it better. He made some big plays for green Bay when they signed him as a FA a couple years ago. He's not going to be our #1 but this is a very solid add to a room that would be crippled if 47 or 30 went down

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I appreciate this positive report but this is the problem with blindly trusting PFF grades.  It’s one thing to do this against the Broncos. It’s another to do this against the Fins (which White did). 

But we don't have white anymore.  Soooo get help and hope it works or dont get help and hope it works.  Those are the options.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My favorite way of looking at the trade compensation:

I saw someone say “we got Rasul Douglas and a 5th for letting Tremaine Edmunds walk (3rd round comp pick).”

I am assuming the Bills traded their own 3rd and not the comp pick, but it still kind of holds true since we will still have a 3rd this year from Edmunds.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.