Josh Allen….detached.

Brian Higgins hair

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The 49's & Eagles definitely win Super Bowls with Allen at QB.  Ditto for the Dolphins.  IMO only KC would not see their Super Bowls chances improved by swapping out their current QB with Allen.

The issues with Allen, if there really are any, are entirely related to this franchise screwing up being gifted by the football gods with a generational talent at QB.  Five plus seasons with bad O line play is going to wear on any QB.  Allen has actually withstood it's negative effects longer then most would have.  Throw in a group of skill players who most of the time can't make contested catches and Allen may well be worn out mentally.

BTW, I like Allen but depending on how the rest of this season plays out I'm starting to feel sorry for him being a member of the Bills franchise.  Folks talk about how the Bills "developed" Allen and handled him so well but any honest look at Allen's rookie year would show that Bean & McD completely screwed it up and were saved by Allen's ability to make lemonade out of lemons.

I'm beginning to have uncomfortable thoughts that maybe the best thing for Allen would be to move on from the Bills. That way Bill's management can get a boatload of draft picks and use them to build a new 1985 Bears D.  At least Allen would get a real shot to show what he can do in latter round playoff games and Super Bowls.  The Bills would likely just revert back to lost years of 2000 - 2019.

I have been one of the louder voices in taking issues with both the resources the Bills have given Allen and the play-calling/game plans. But I am not so naïve to ignore that Josh does not also have issues. For some reason he is not seeing the field or making decisions (passing or running) fast enough. He seems to be processing slowly unless its the quick horizontal pass. He is bailing from the pocket and not making quick reads on blitzes. He is not stepping up in the pocket but bailing out in pressure. He definitely is not taking running yards as much, whether his chose or not. Does another threat make it easier for Josh? I think its worth a shot. Add a player D's need to pay extra attention to and that is less on Allen and Diggs. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Really?
Do you see the consistency of the fiery Josh from 2020/21 ? I still see it in Mahomes and others…..

Do you see anything of old Josh where you didn’t have to look at a clip because he was EVERYWHERE on the sideline? 
Undeniably, The dude has something happening between the ears that is different than before, and it’s translated to his game. 

Whatever it is, it is real. 

I suspect that 13 seconds took a deeper toll on Allen then people suspect.  How many QB's playing the way he was at the end of that season and in those playoffs would not have a bitter place in their heart over the gross negligence and incompetence exhibited by the organization during those few seconds?

Then after 2021 Allen loses DaBoll and the Bills double down on the Defense with the high profile signing of Miller. They keep trying to fix a bad O line with bargain basement FA signings and mid round draft picks while expending higher picks & FA signings on the D line. Contrast this with the focus & effort KC and Cincy put into fixing their O lines not to mention the offensive talent being assembled by the Eagles, 49's and Dolphins.

Meanwhile, Allen raised by his parents to behave in a certain way will not throw anyone under the bus and takes all the responsibility on himself.  I may not be a psychiatrist but damn that doesn't sound healthy over the long haul.

The only way to fix it IMO - change directions 180 degrees. What that means specifically I'll leave to other people with more knowledge f the situation.  But with DaBoll gone I see Bean/McD making mistakes with Allen on par with the mistakes they made his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember reading an article about Josh when he started his fourth quarter comebacks early in his career.

Paraphrasing he said. I’ve always been like that. When the game is on the line is when I really focus. 

That’s not good enough in the NFL. He’s got everything but consistency. So much for the Josh is more focused than he’s ever been talk at the beginning of the season. Looks like he’s regressed in that regard. 

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that 13 seconds took a deeper toll on Allen then people suspect.  How many QB's playing the way he was at the end of that season and in those playoffs would not have a bitter place in their heart over the gross negligence and incompetence exhibited by the organization during those few seconds?

Then after 2021 Allen loses DaBoll and the Bills double down on the Defense with the high profile signing of Miller. They keep trying to fix a bad O line with bargain basement FA signings and mid round draft picks while expending higher picks & FA signings on the D line. Contrast this with the focus & effort KC and Cincy put into fixing their O lines not to mention the offensive talent being assembled by the Eagles, 49's and Dolphins.

Meanwhile, Allen raised by his parents to behave in a certain way will not throw anyone under the bus and takes all the responsibility on himself.  I may not be a psychiatrist but damn that doesn't sound healthy over the long haul.

The only way to fix it IMO - change directions 180 degrees. What that means specifically I'll leave to other people with more knowledge f the situation.  But with DaBoll gone I see Bean/McD making mistakes with Allen on par with the mistakes they made his rookie year.

They also seem to love signing bargain basement receivers that are about 5 feet tall. Would it kill this team to get the guy some taller receivers. 

I hate that all my bad gut feelings over the way the off season was handled are turning out to be right. I don't even understand it. Did Beane just give up? Surely he saw how we fared against Cincy, and saw a lot of good teams in our conference and division add more pieces, and he still felt we were fine? I don't get it. I am honestly to the point of being amazed that he went and got us Diggs and Miller.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

The key is Daboll.  Allen changed after he left. I am sure Daboll let him play like he wanted whereas Dorsey has him on a leash.  That’s my guess. 

Not Dorsey, McD has put him on a leash.  Dorsey being a new hire with a long career ahead of him is likely a lot more pliable then DaBoll was.

This is more evidence that what Cowherd and others have been saying about the problems with defensive coaches in an offensive league is true.  I'm sure McD believes reigning in Allen and the O is good for the team.  But in reality it might be good for the D but it is not good for the team. And this is a distinction that McD as a defensive coach is unable to make.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

I have been one of the louder voices in taking issues with both the resources the Bills have given Allen and the play-calling/game plans. But I am not so naïve to ignore that Josh does not also have issues. For some reason he is not seeing the field or making decisions (passing or running) fast enough. He seems to be processing slowly unless its the quick horizontal pass. He is bailing from the pocket and not making quick reads on blitzes. He is not stepping up in the pocket but bailing out in pressure. He definitely is not taking running yards as much, whether his chose or not. Does another threat make it easier for Josh? I think its worth a shot. Add a player D's need to pay extra attention to and that is less on Allen and Diggs. 

These numbers are not backed up the real-time stats on Sunday he didn’t have a single incompletion when throwing the ball under 2.5 seconds meaning he’s seeing the field fine. He was 10 for 24 when he held onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds meaning he got protection guys just weren’t getting open. 

7 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

They also seem to love signing bargain basement receivers that are about 5 feet tall. Would it kill this team to get the guy some taller receivers. 

I hate that all my bad gut feelings over the way the off season was handled are turning out to be right. I don't even understand it. Did Beane just give up? Surely he saw how we fared against Cincy, and saw a lot of good teams in our conference and division add more pieces, and he still felt we were fine? I don't get it. I am honestly to the point of being amazed that he went and got us Diggs and Miller.

Dehop would have signed here if the money was anywhere near what he got in Tennessee Beane just gave it to Leonard Floyd instead. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

These numbers are not backed up the real-time stats on Sunday he didn’t have a signed incompletion when throwing the ball under 2.5 seconds meaning he’s seeing the field fine. He was 10 for 24 when he held onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds meaning he got protection guys just weren’t getting open. 

Dehop would have signed here if the money was anywhere near what he got in Tennessee Beane just gave it to Leonard Floyd instead. 

Floyd was a good pickup, but I am torn on this. I have not paid all that much attention to what DHop has been doing, it seems like we never hear his name? I just wish Beane would be more aggressive with getting help on offense. I just want a tall receiver with sticky hands. 

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The man left the field a winner after the most amazing few minutes of QB’ing ever. And he never saw the ball again. It’s just so Buffalo man. 

Josh Allen seems as shocked and irritated by what his offense has become as the rest of us. He is a smart guy and knows what the problem is.

THIS is what may force McDermott's hand on Dorsey in mid season.

And all of the players that have been left out in the cold by Dorsey will be silently cheering, just as Josh will be no matter his pat public statements.

I have been saying this for now a year. Something happened to Josh and the team after the 2nd half of that Packers’ game last year. Once he threw that INT to Alexander, who he was as a player diminished and Dorsey’s playcalling fell flat and Davis never returned to that 2021 4TD divisional form.

until that’s not addressed I don’t think the Bills will find a strive to win and will wither out.

UNLESS! And this is wishful thinking. Maybe they are slowing down the gear in order to get futher into the playoff with tricks up their sleeves and well rested (but again this is more wishful than true).

14 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

is it me?

The days of Josh, with that burning competitive fire in his eyes…going up and down the bench supporting the D, talking to the O line and talking to receivers seem to be gone. 
After a 4th down, he goes back to the bench, looks at the IPad, and then just sits and watches the Jumbotron quietly.

Meanwhile, Diggs is doing what Stef does, fire burning and supporting others.
There is something that’s changed in him. 

Have totally noticed this and commented elsewhere on this very thing—makes no sense to me given how he carried himself the first few years here…

57 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

My dog was detached also when he was neutered....allen has been neutered and has the dredded cone put on his play style......thank you McDermott 

My wife wants to neuter our bulldog, but I just keep telling her he’s just a puppy lol. 

7 hours ago, Mopreme said:

The key is Daboll.  Allen changed after he left. I am sure Daboll let him play like he wanted whereas Dorsey has him on a leash.  That’s my guess. 

Agree 100% that the lack of Daboll is a huge part of Allen's on-field issues.

Disagree a bit with your assertion that "Daboll let him play like he (Allen) wanted."

While Dabes did call QB runs and fun trick plays and 16-straight shotgun passes and all that (you know, stuff you call when your QB is a physical freak who likes to be aggressive), he did also absolutely LAY into Allen on the sideline, on TV, more than once. Imagine the Monday film review sessions. Allen was coached hard under Daboll. And he was also unleashed. That's the secret sauce with Josh Allen, perhaps. I'll bet Daboll was able to keep McDermott off Allen for the most part. Insulate him a bit from that defensive (which becomes tentative) mindset. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Josh talked about his  new “low positive” plan.  He comes off the sideline and tries to get his heart rate down so that he can clear his mind as much as possible to process info in the game.  It’s like he’s meditating.

It really explains the difference in in his perceived level of care. 

On 10/23/2023 at 7:09 AM, Chaos said:

In prior seasons fans were demanding we take the "sugar rush" out of Josh.  Given the coaches offseason comments criticizing Allen for running, the new game plan strategy that has neutered Allen's game, it seems likely the "calm" Allen demeanor is a request from the coaches to keep level the whole game.  The next step in improving Allen will be to have him nervously clap after crappy Bills plays. That way we will know he has the proper emotionally state for peak performance.

If I learned anything this season it’s that people will criticize the team no matter what they do if the results aren’t absolutely perfect 😂

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

🤔

I propose a “Josh Allen Cam” on the sideline to track how many asses he pats and words he yells.

I mean what the ***** people, just because the camera cuts to him for 15 seconds and he’s looking at an iPad or staring ahead doesn’t mean *****. You do realize how much time there is on the sidelines? But let’s just hone in on 15 seconds with no context. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If I learned anything this season it’s that people will criticize the team no matter what they do if the results aren’t absolutely perfect 😂

No, it's the fact after decades we want a superbowl win and anything short is BS.  Been there, done that.

Win a damn superbowl already!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:06 AM, Brian Higgins hair said:

is it me?

The days of Josh, with that burning competitive fire in his eyes…going up and down the bench supporting the D, talking to the O line and talking to receivers seem to be gone. 
After a 4th down, he goes back to the bench, looks at the IPad, and then just sits and watches the Jumbotron quietly.

Meanwhile, Diggs is doing what Stef does, fire burning and supporting others.
There is something that’s changed in him. 

E-X5LtaX0AMMMec.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

But you have to trust the process first. It may take years or even decades :lol:

Yeah I've had enough of the Process thank you

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Sometimes QB sit on the bench and do nothing.  The camera shows a few seconds of it out of a 3+hour game.

Patrick-Mahomes-Kansas-City-Chiefs.jpg

RPS24OHF7II6RPYJD6U6STSMOM.jpg

tom-brady-super-bowl.gif

What do those two QB's have in common that Josh doesn't?  And the way its going won't have in common with them?

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yeah I've had enough of the Process thank you

What do those two QB's have in common that Josh doesn't?  And the way its going won't have in common with them?

Thats entirely the point.  People making a big deal of a camera showing a few seconds of Josh sitting on the bench not doing anything.  ALL Qbs do that.  Doesn't matter if they are trash, elite, won a SB, haven't won a SB.  It doesn't matter.  People like you just finding something to whine about.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.