Josh Allen….detached.

Brian Higgins hair

Something is off with the team for sure.  I don’t claim to know what it is but find the literal hero worship of Josh off putting.  He’s surrounded by:

A terrible roster

worthless receivers

terrible OL

Diggs is a diva

an inept GM

an inept HC

an inept OC

and Davis had only one catch for 6 yards so he stinks.  Why didn’t he just jump 26 feet in the air and catch that TD?  What a dummy.

It could not possibly be anything to do with Josh.  He’s perfect.

FWIW I don’t put too much stock into the sideline shots which aren’t exactly a big sample size.  I’m also not blaming Josh for everything.  

Take the way Allen is playing right now and insert it onto any other NFL team.  Does that team win the Super Bowl?  I say 49ers probably, Eagles maybe, Lions probably not but remotely possible.  Every other team: no way.  And yet everything here is everyone else’s ineptitude or fault.

The Bills best chance for the foreseeable future is with Allen but he needs to be better than he is right now and he needs to start with himself.  To his credit, he is not blaming anyone else publicly and my guess is that he isn’t privately either.  He isn’t the entire issue but he needs to grow up.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Something is off with the team for sure.  I don’t claim to know what it is but find the literal hero worship of Josh off putting.  He’s surrounded by:

A terrible roster

worthless receivers

terrible OL

Diggs is a diva

an inept GM

an inept HC

an inept OC

and Davis had only one catch for 6 yards so he stinks.  Why didn’t he just jump 26 feet in the air and catch that TD?  What a dummy.

FWIW I don’t put too much stock into the sideline shots which aren’t exactly a big sample size.  I’m also not blaming Josh for everything.  

Take the way Allen is playing right now and insert it onto any other NFL team.  Does that team win the Super Bowl?  I say 49ers probably, Eagles maybe, Lions probably not but remotely possible.  Every other team: no way.  And yet everything here is everyone else’s ineptitude or fault.

The Bills best chance for the foreseeable future is with Allen but he needs to be better than he is right now and he needs to start with himself.  To his credit, he is not blaming anyone else publicly and my guess is that he isn’t privately either.  He isn’t the entire issue but he needs to grow up.

Fair enough but put Goff, Hurts or Purdy on the Bills and see how many games we win   Every player on this roster is capable of playing better but not many are remotely close to Josh Allen

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Nothing is wrong with him. I just don’t think he can believe he plays with the crap he does . Gabe Davis 1 catch 6 yards 🙄

I agree. I don’t care how he looks on the sideline. Vastly overrated. This scheme isn’t designed around his skill set and they’re coaching too many things out of him. He’s the only reason this team isn’t in the division basement anymore. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

This isn’t about questioning Allen’s talent. We all know what he’s capable of. This is about wondering what’s wrong here…something has changed between the killer Josh to the current Josh.

if you and others believe we are dealing with the same Josh killer Attitude of a couple years ago, well, I respectfully disagree. 

You don't have to question "what's wrong" after every loss. You win some you lose some.

Edited by What a Tuel

Something is rotten in Denmark that is for sure.

Josh is not having fun and the team spirit is not there - but is the bad play killing the team spirit, or is the lack of team spirit leading to the bad play?  

Factors to consider:

• Coaching:  Daboll gone and Dorsey running a lot of the same system but not doing it nearly as well
  • Familiarity:  Teams know what we do and how to stop us, there are no surprises 
  • Work Ethic:  Allen's off seasons of hard work and fundamentals is a thing of the past, he is a celebrity now (for awhile) 
  • How we play him:  The taming of Josh (no more planned runs, way less deep balls) 
  • Supporting cast:  Failure to develop top talent around Josh (example: Knox is average, Davis far below average, no slot replacement for Beasley, a mediocre OL, a mediocre running game); a lack of team speed to make big plays.   We have Diggs and that is all.  

Maybe we fix the first thing on the list and everything else gets better.  

I am done with Dorsey right now.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

is it me?

The days of Josh, with that burning competitive fire in his eyes…going up and down the bench supporting the D, talking to the O line and talking to receivers seem to be gone. 
After a 4th down, he goes back to the bench, looks at the IPad, and then just sits and watches the Jumbotron quietly.

Meanwhile, Diggs is doing what Stef does, fire burning and supporting others.
There is something that’s changed in him. 

it’s the anti-sugar rush high Josh mentality that the coaching staff is trying to instill in him. It’s the worst thing that could’ve been done.

28 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

A terrible roster

worthless receivers

terrible OL

Diggs is a diva

an inept GM

an inept HC

an inept OC

Allen is completing 65 percent of his passes for 253 yards per game, 11 tds and 7 INT's, this is with his best performance, Miami, removed from the math. Any assertion that other teams couldn't win with that, or that, the clapping dope who wants all the cap room for his 1998 defense isn't the problem, is just insane 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I said to my wife he looked disinterested until the fourth quarter.  Detached might be a better descriptor.  Something is going on with him.

this started last season during the GB game.  Maybe we need to invite his girlfriend to the games so she can be seen rooting for him maybe the Taylor Swift like effect might help him  lol.

28 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Fair enough but put Goff, Hurts or Purdy on the Bills and see how many games we win   Every player on this roster is capable of playing better but not many are remotely close to Josh Allen

actually Purdy might be better in the offense that Dorsey has designed 😞

42 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Are we 3-4 with Hurts or even Goff/Purdy.  I’m not sure.  You’ll note I didn’t include the Chiefs because I see holes there that the refs and Mahomes can’t cover up forever.    

If you asked me to pick a QB to lead the Bills moving forward Josh would be very high on the list.  I think you have to go with Mahomes first but beyond that Allen can at the very least be heavily argued against anyone else.  There are very few who can be argued against him.  But……2023 Allen is not doing what Josh Allen can do.  He’s just not.  People can go on blaming everything else in the world and anyone but Allen, but his play is a very large part of our set of issues.  There is NEVER only one reason.  All I’m saying is that attributing 0% to Josh is silly hero worship and factually way off.  For that I get lots of thumbs downs and eye rolls.  It’s weird.

16 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Allen is completing 65 percent of his passes for 253 yards per game, 11 tds and 7 INT's, this is with his best performance, Miami, removed from the math. Any assertion that other teams couldn't win with that, or that, the clapping dope who wants all the cap room for his 1998 defense isn't the problem, is just insane 

First off I didn’t say “win”.  I said “win the Super Bowl”.  See the difference?  

Did the clapping dope throw an easy pick on the first play from scrimmage yesterday to dig us a hole?  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are we 3-4 with Hurts or even Goff/Purdy.  I’m not sure.  You’ll note I didn’t include the Chiefs because I see holes there that the refs and Mahomes can’t cover up forever.    

If you asked me to pick a QB to lead the Bills moving forward Josh would be very high on the list.  I think you have to go with Mahomes first but beyond that Allen can at the very least be heavily argued against anyone else.  There are very few who can be argued against him.  But……2023 Allen is not doing what Josh Allen can do.  He’s just not.  People can go on blaming everything else in the world and anyone but Allen, but his play is a very large part of our set of issues.  There is NEVER only one reason.  All I’m saying is that attributing 0% to Josh is silly hero worship and factually way off.  For that I get lots of thumbs downs and eye rolls.  It’s weird.

First off I didn’t say “win”.  I said “win the Super Bowl”.  See the difference?  

Did the clapping dope throw an easy pick on the first play from scrimmage yesterday to dig us a hole?  

Dig us a hole. The clapping dopes defense is just as culpable for mistaking Jones for Brady. Anyone laying blame on Allen is missing what he has accomplished in spite of the crap he's been handed. Nobody could do more with this coach and roster, Nobody. 

He has been the QB that has taken the most hits since 2018 and it has to be taking it's toll on his body.  He looks like he is playing hurt and has clearly lost a step or two already with his mobility.  They need to develop a better running game and design plays where he gets rid of the ball quicker.

1 minute ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

He has been the QB that has taken the most hits since 2018 and it has to be taking it's toll on his body.  He looks like he is playing hurt and has clearly lost a step or two already with his mobility.  They need to develop a better running game and design plays where he gets rid of the ball quicker.

Or I don't know maybe get an oline. That 12 deep d line rotation though, thatshould do it 

52 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. I don’t care how he looks on the sideline. Vastly overrated. This scheme isn’t designed around his skill set and they’re coaching too many things out of him. He’s the only reason this team isn’t in the division basement anymore. 

Do they honestly win a single game without him? I just don’t know 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Agree 1

To me, it now seems clear that something is off with him. At first, I would dismiss it as me projecting my own frustrations as a fan of the team, but something is definitely different, and not in a good way. 

It could also be that it's less about Allen personally and more something larger going on with the team behind the scenes. Maybe the issues with Diggs are another hint at that, who knows. 

A couple of recent examples:

1. The biggest indicator of a real issue for me: The "same **** different day" comment after the week 1 loss to the Jets this year. To me, that comment revealed something deeper going on, since it was week 1 and that phrase came to his mind in that moment. It was 1 game, so why "same ****" ?

If he was QB of the Chargers I would get that, but he and the team have had a lot of success lately. Can you imagine Mahomes saying that after the Week 1 loss at home to the Lions? That's my point. Other than Mahomes and Burrow, Allen has done a lot of winning, so what's the reason for a comment like that? 

An optimistic person would say no Josh, that was different **** than we're used to, not the same. 

2. After the Giants game Allen seemed miserable and borderline rude to Melissa Stark who does the SNF "talk with the winners" thing at the end of the game. The way he said "let's go home" at the end of the interview was really strange. Dude, you just won the damn game! Granted, it was ugly but good lord. 

In fact, I think that's what I see the most with Allen this season. He just looks, sounds, and seems miserable. He's been much more combative with interviewers, calling out the "armchair critics" and just generally not being the smiling, happy go lucky ball of energy that he was in previous seasons. 

I do wonder if McDermott is wearing on these guys. Every time the Bills have a tough game Florio puts that "Jenga tower" analogy out there, and even though I have nothing but disdain for him generally that does worry me a bit. Like he knows something and is being cute about it. 

He did it AGAIN today. 

It's hard to dismiss when it actually feels like a good analogy. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

21 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Dig us a hole. The clapping dopes defense is just as culpable for mistaking Jones for Brady. Anyone laying blame on Allen is missing what he has accomplished in spite of the crap he's been handed. Nobody could do more with this coach and roster, Nobody. 

In your humble opinion has Allen ever made a mistake?  

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

In your humble opinion has Allen ever made a mistake?  

Sure. But you are most certainly overlooking what he's been given. Which is a defensive coach, who allocates all his resources there, and who clearly wants one of the most gifted Qbs ever to "manage games" What more do you want under those circumstances. Daboll leaving should have been a big clue

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

is it me?

The days of Josh, with that burning competitive fire in his eyes…going up and down the bench supporting the D, talking to the O line and talking to receivers seem to be gone. 
After a 4th down, he goes back to the bench, looks at the IPad, and then just sits and watches the Jumbotron quietly.

Many of us have been saying for awhile now, there is something wrong with him

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

Sure. But you are most certainly overlooking what he's been given. Which is a defensive coach, who allocates all his resources there, and who clearly wants one of the most gifted Qbs ever to "manage games" What more do you want under those circumstances. Daboll leaving should have been a big clue

Lots of dudes turn down HC positions so you have a great point there.  Oh, wait.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Blazman11 said:

You all need to stop with this stupid take in this thread and the other one about Josh.  To somehow make up your mind that Josh no longer cares about football after watching a combined 5 seconds of sideline shots during a 3 hour game is complete insanity.  

Nobody wants a leader ranting and raving whenever there is a problem.  That stuff gets old real quick.  

In an alternate timeline where they show a clip of him yelling or trying to get teammates fired up on the sidelines this tread still exists only it's titled "Josh Allen terrible leader yells at teammates during loss."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, I can remember in previous seasons people here complaining about Josh not interacting with teammates on the sideline enough, during games...possibly the same people who wanted Daboll fired every other week, who now think he was the greatest thing.

I know many don't pay attention much to the halftime commentary from the studio hosts, and I usually don't either.  But for some reason, yesterday, I caught most of it.  One thing that stuck out to me, was Bill Cowher saying something to the effect of "the Bills problem on offense, is they are trying to change too many things all at once, which is causing them to be out of synch" or something along those lines. He seemed to think they would figure things out.  Fingers crossed that he is right. 

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

is it me?

He still does that.

When things are going well.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen in April:

"I know this sounds crazy, but I'm getting older," Allen said. "It's like I can't continue to do this. I know when I'm using my youth I feel like I can, but over the course of my career, I'm going to have to learn to adapt and change. And I've always had the mindset of I've been a football player first and a quarterback second, and at some point that's going to have to switch. When that point is I don't know, I guess I'll let my body tell me."

Allen Offseason:

Lots of golf. Some vacations. Some drinking. Most likely a bit less football and training. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Can’t it be that he and they (staff & teammates) are genuinely unsure about what the hell is happening? They plan and practice all week thinking it’ll go their way and they get utterly stymied. Outcoached, outplanned, outplayed. They have no answers now so that uncertainty is going to show up as “disinterest” or deer in the headlights I think.

Edited by Best Williams Available

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

A terrible roster

worthless receivers

terrible OL

Diggs is a diva

an inept GM

an inept HC

an inept OC

The 49's & Eagles definitely win Super Bowls with Allen at QB.  Ditto for the Dolphins.  IMO only KC would not see their Super Bowls chances improved by swapping out their current QB with Allen.

The issues with Allen, if there really are any, are entirely related to this franchise screwing up being gifted by the football gods with a generational talent at QB.  Five plus seasons with bad O line play is going to wear on any QB.  Allen has actually withstood it's negative effects longer then most would have.  Throw in a group of skill players who most of the time can't make contested catches and Allen may well be worn out mentally.

BTW, I like Allen but depending on how the rest of this season plays out I'm starting to feel sorry for him being a member of the Bills franchise.  Folks talk about how the Bills "developed" Allen and handled him so well but any honest look at Allen's rookie year would show that Bean & McD completely screwed it up and were saved by Allen's ability to make lemonade out of lemons.

I'm beginning to have uncomfortable thoughts that maybe the best thing for Allen would be to move on from the Bills. That way Bill's management can get a boatload of draft picks and use them to build a new 1985 Bears D.  At least Allen would get a real shot to show what he can do in latter round playoff games and Super Bowls.  The Bills would likely just revert back to lost years of 2000 - 2019.

• Dislike 1

I do think something is off with JA.  I don’t know if it’s his attempt to play “boring football” and he feels like he can’t do that without remaining calm all the time or what. 

He has flashes of what we used to see with fire in his eyes and looking like he’s having fun playing the game out there.  Aside from the Miami game, he doesn’t look the same.  

Maybe the weight of having to carry the team is getting to him.  If he’s not perfect, the offense sputters, even if he does what he’s supposed to do, the defense has already let him down a couple times this year.   Also, when you lose Tre, Milano, Jones etc all in one game, everyone knew the pressure was going to shift back to him even more, again.  On one of the post game shows yesterday they were talking about it, Josh had responsibly for over 75% of the offense.. he can’t do it all.  I don’t know if that’s the game plan or if Dorsey is trying to roll with what the game is giving him, but it’s still enormously reliant on JA being perfect.  When he misses he’s persecuted, but he had what we are feeling wasn’t a good game and still had 66% completion percentage, even with 41% of his snaps being under pressure, that’s really good.  We are asking for absolute perfection…. To beat a 1-5 team. 

Obviously, everyone is speculating, but JA is under more, not less pressure to carry this team, after an entire offseason of saying they had to take some of that away.  I’d be pretty dejected too. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The 49's & Eagles definitely win Super Bowls with Allen at QB.  Ditto for the Dolphins.  IMO only KC would not see their Super Bowls chances improved by swapping out their current QB with Allen.

The issues with Allen, if there really are any, are entirely related to this franchise screwing up being gifted by the football gods with a generational talent at QB.  Five plus seasons with bad O line play is going to wear on any QB.  Allen has actually withstood it's negative effects longer then most would have.  Throw in a group of skill players who most of the time can't make contested catches and Allen may well be worn out mentally.

BTW, I like Allen but depending on how the rest of this season plays out I'm starting to feel sorry for him being a member of the Bills franchise.  Folks talk about how the Bills "developed" Allen and handled him so well but any honest look at Allen's rookie year would show that Bean & McD completely screwed it up and were saved by Allen's ability to make lemonade out of lemons.

I'm beginning to have uncomfortable thoughts that maybe the best thing for Allen would be to move on from the Bills. That way Bill's management can get a boatload of draft picks and use them to build a new 1985 Bears D.  At least Allen would get a real shot to show what he can do in latter round playoff games and Super Bowls.  The Bills would likely just revert back to lost years of 2000 - 2019.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I do think something is off with JA.  I don’t know if it’s his attempt to play “boring football” and he feels like he can’t do that without remaining calm all the time or what. 

He has flashes of what we used to see with fire in his eyes and looking like he’s having fun playing the game out there.  Aside from the Miami game, he doesn’t look the same.  

Maybe the weight of having to carry the team is getting to him.  If he’s not perfect, the offense sputters, even if he does what he’s supposed to do, the defense has already let him down a couple times this year.   Also, when you lose Tre, Milano, Jones etc all in one game, everyone knew the pressure was going to shift back to him even more, again.  On one of the post game shows yesterday they were talking about it, Josh had responsibly for over 75% of the offense.. he can’t do it all.  I don’t know if that’s the game plan or if Dorsey is trying to roll with what the game is giving him, but it’s still enormously reliant on JA being perfect.  When he misses he’s persecuted, but he had what we are feeling wasn’t a good game and still had 66% completion percentage, even with 41% of his snaps being under pressure, that’s really good.  We are asking for absolute perfection…. To beat a 1-5 team. 

Obviously, everyone is speculating, but JA is under more, not less pressure to carry this team, after an entire offseason of saying they had to take some of that away.  I’d be pretty dejected too. 

Allen is not running when he has chances outside the pocket anymore really and it's hurting not only him, but also the offense.  Defenders don't bother trying to come up and take away Allen running because they know he will simply throw it downfield at some point.  He is playing like Herbert who only takes off if everything else is covered and will wait until the last second to try and throw low percentage passes downfield instead of running when he has the opportunity.  It's causing tighter windows on plays outside the pocket that have been open for 3 years because defenders simply don't respect Allen running right now and drop back into coverage.  They literally are giving him the free yards and he won't take it...Dorsey and McD are so in his head right now about not running and playing from the pocket that he is discouraged from even trying to run when it's best option.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Allen is not running when he has chances outside the pocket anymore really and it's hurting not only him, but also the offense.  Defenders don't bother trying to come up and take away Allen running because they know he will simply throw it downfield at some point.  He is playing like Herbert who only takes off if everything else is covered and will wait until the last second to try and throw low percentage passes downfield instead of running when he has the opportunity.  It's causing tighter windows on plays outside the pocket that have been open for 3 years because defenders simply don't respect Allen running right now and drop back into coverage.  They literally are giving him the free yards and he won't take it...Dorsey and McD are so in his head right now about not running and playing from the pocket that he is discouraged from even trying to run when it's best option.

No argument here and it cost them the Jets game.  On the last pick when he had 25 yards of open field and no reason not to take the easy first down, he heaved it to double coverage and killed them.  I don’t know wtf is going on with all of that, but he’s playing like a shell of the player we know he can be.   Is it the coaching? I’m sure it is, but they said the same thing last year and he still took off and won games for us.  This year it’s obviously different, so what clicked in his head?  Whatever it is, it’s not for the better.

5 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

I don't remember him doing this, ever. Josh is known more as a goofball than a leader. He's never been that guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.