Defense should be embarrassed…

LabattBlue

I'm sick of Allen leaving the field with a lead or in position to get back into the game and his defense letting him down. So many resources spent on defense, the head coach is a defensive minded coach, and that's the result every time. It's unacceptable. Even the Giants almost did it to us. The two worst offenses in football and our defensive head coach can't stop them in crunch time.

I've criticized McDermott before but now I'm just done with him. We will never win a Super Bowl as long as he is in charge.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Benching Dorian for Dodson has pretty much done it for me with this entire regime.  

Dodson sucks. 

You drafted Williams to be Milano’s back up.  

Let him play.  

McD is quick to sit a rookie but will let a vets ***** slide. 

• Like (+1) 1

Earlier post mentioned it, but remember when the Bills earlier this season lead the NFL in pressures and sacks?..What happened?..Well, you lost your push up the middle that set up your edge rushers.

This week.. 1 sack for 4 yards...last week not much better for a Giants O line that had been stocking shelves at Walmart the week prior.

Epenesa, a hobbled Groot and hobbled Miller just ain't getting the job done with no pass rush up the middle.

1 minute ago, Process said:

At the end of the day we had 10 points with 7 minutes left in the game..... A week after scoring 0 points in the first 3 quarters....against the two worst teams in the NFL.

The defense was missing 4 starters. 

The offense is just pathetic.

At the end of the day you got 25 points and your defence couldn’t stop Macorkle jones in a 2 minute drill.

That^ is pathetic, coming from an offence who averages 12 ppg

Bills aren’t the only team the pats O has played that has injuries on the defensive side of the ball 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  The defense ain’t good, but the offense has zero injury excuses.  You can’t score zero and three points in back to back first halves and expect to win.  

The offense had a rough day, but after 58 minutes had done they job adequately.  The defense lost the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Dude it was Mac Jones completing all those ***** passes

and the week before that, it came down to the wire and some generosity from the refs against THE GIANTS!!

I don't care how banged up our defense is, those are some trash teams with trash QB's. Please.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sick of Allen leaving the field with a lead or in position to get back into the game and his defense letting him down. So many resources spent on defense, the head coach is a defensive minded coach, and that's the result every time. It's unacceptable. Even the Giants almost did it to us. The two worst offenses in football and our defensive head coach can't stop them in crunch time.

I've criticized McDermott before but now I'm just done with him. We will never win a Super Bowl as long as he is in charge.

Can't say there haven't been times in previous games where the offense left the defense out to dry, but yeah seeing Allen and the Offense get those back to back TDs, which credit to the defense on the fumble, to get the lead only to watch the defense burn the rest of the game away and give up the TD. It was aggravating as hell.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This LOSS is in the Offense. 

that is the reality and it isn’t even close 

Ah yes, allowing Mac Jones and his offense to score 29 points, march down the field and hell, score a TD in under two minutes with utter ease had nothing to do with it. Nope, our ancient defense is just stellar and so is our head coach. They can do no wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Taron Johnson had, quite possibly the worst game of his NFL career. While he did still make a couple plays against the run he was on coverage for 2 Patriots TD passes and was out of position badly. 

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This LOSS is in the Offense. 

that is the reality and it isn’t even close 

Plenty bof blame for BOTH SIDES today.

Defense wise, they gave up a fast start (yes the INT didn't help). They allowed Jones to complete 25 of 30 passes and drive the field at the end for the win. Taron Johnson gave up 2 TDs. Constantly let WRs roam free. Poor tackling. In total gave up 29 points to a team that hasn't scored a TD since MC Hammer was a "thing" (at least it seems that long.)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I honestly wish we never even got the lead. I was mentally prepared for  a loss, and I was salty about it, but I was prepared and reached acceptance. Losing the way we did, with them marching down the field, and not even holding them to a FG, but giving them a TD?? It's sickening and somehow made this loss even more painful than it should have been.

No, I'm glad we lost the way we did. If you're going to lose, do it in a way that shines a light on the biggest problem. McDermott has nothing to hide behind. His unit choked against the worst offense in the league, after nearly choking against the other worst offense in the league last week. Clarity is good even when it's disappointing.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

No, I'm glad we lost the way we did. If you're going to lose, do it in a way that shines a light on the biggest problem. McDermott has nothing to hide behind. His unit choked against the worst offense in the league, after nearly choking against the other worst offense in the league last week. Clarity is good even when it's disappointing.

I get what you're saying, it's just that it was painful and kind of a cruel way to lose like that.

It's like they don't know how to play situational football. Okay Pats have it on their own 25, down 3, 2 time outs, less than 2 minutes to go. Most teams play a soft zone to start. Keep everything in front of them and play for a long FG attempt. Bills blitz and get burned immediately

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Good post, but I would argue that their best four starters on D at the beginning were out. It was a practice squad-level unit out there today.

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, damj said:

Mac Jones hung 29 on them,  including a TD in the last 2 minutes. Shorthanded or not,  they were owned today by Mac Jones

Other crappy teams made Mac Jones look like crap! He is crap! The Bills just made him look like a top 15 QB.

No words (except those).

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hopefully I can get this in before this thread gets buried.

Bills had their backup 1T and 3T today, and the guys backing them up are a practice squad player and a guy who had been inactive.

The lack of NT was detrimental to the DL, you could see it start when Jones went out but losing Oliver was the kiss of death. Poor DTs + small LBers results in what we saw today. I love our small LBers too, but this defensive performance was predictable. 

All the talk of the offense, but Bills MUST bring in a legitimate NT by the trade deadline. 

The Pats have the worst O line in the NFL. The worst! Mac Jones had more time to throw than I have seen since Scar was O line coach. 

Injury excuse is just poor. That Pats were missing both of their best Pass Rushers in Uche and Judon, as well as the top 2 corners In Gonzalez and Jonathan Jones. Yet they got constant pressure and contained Diggs as well as a team can contain Diggs. 

IMO the Bills saw the Pats as a win just by showing up and found out that wasn’t the case. 

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good post, but I would argue that their best five starters on D at the beginning were out. It was a practice squad-level unit out there today.

DTs were absolutely an issue today, but more than that I thought our gameplan was terrible. The Pats have no talent on offense. It's the exact kind of team where you can afford to just drop back and play for coverage sacks and wait for them to make mistakes. A Leslie Frazier coached defense would have won this game. Instead we blitzed repeatedly including (I think) on the 40 yard screen pass that started their game winning drive.

Another issue is that for several years now the defense has suddenly fallen into a rut after looking elite, and it never ends up rebounding. To me that is a huge coaching failure. As other coaches get tape on our defense they are finding ways to beat us and we never have an answer back.

I really can't get over that we allowed 29 points to the worst offense in the NFL. It's honestly unbelievable. The Broncos defense will give up less than that, I'm sure of it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Either they were terrible today, or all the fans here who normally bash Mac Jones, owe him an apology. 😂

We've lost the best player on 3 levels of our Defense - Matt Milano at LB, Tre White at CB, and Daquan Jones at Interior D-Line. Not to mention we didn't have Ed Oliver today.

Not to say that today or the last few weeks have been acceptable. But when you're starting guys like Tim Settle, Dane Jackson, and Dorian Williams in their stead - that's a massive dropoff.

This is not the same Defense that we saw the first few weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

DTs were absolutely an issue today, but more than that I thought our gameplan was terrible. The Pats have no talent on offense. It's the exact kind of team where you can afford to just drop back and play for coverage sacks and wait for them to make mistakes. A Leslie Frazier coached defense would have won this game. Instead we blitzed repeatedly including (I think) on the 40 yard screen pass that started their game winning drive.

Another issue is that for several years now the defense has suddenly fallen into a rut after looking elite, and it never ends up rebounding. To me that is a huge coaching failure. As other coaches get tape on our defense they are finding ways to beat us and we never have an answer back.

I really can't get over that we allowed 29 points to the worst offense in the NFL. It's honestly unbelievable. The Broncos defense will give up less than that, I'm sure of it.

Good post, but i would argue that the bills’ starting talent level on defense today was between 30 and 32 in the nfl.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, damj said:

Mac Jones hung 29 on them,  including a TD in the last 2 minutes. Shorthanded or not,  they were owned today by Mac Jones

Crazy how we play crap defense against crappy QBs. And we play horrible offense against teams that we are told have horrible defenses (giants for example). Buffalo plays down to their opponents. Either that or they just aren't as good as we think they are. I'm ready to believe that

I know that there are depth issues, but the missed tackles all day are inexcusable.   The last drive started with Stephenson busting through multiple tackles for 30 yards on the very first play. 

It also doesn't help that our linebackers are the size of defensive backs and where the hell was Von Miller on that last drive?  I don't care if he has one leg, when you are paying a guy that much, he needs to be out there in the last two minutes going after Mac Jones.  Mac Jones could have sat down and had a quick bite to eat on every play of that drive with the lack of pressure on him.

I do not know why we keep insisting on investing two thirds of our cap and draft picks on a bend but don't break cover two defense when we have a QB who is top three on upside in the NFL that we should be building around.

Edited by dgrochester55

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We've lost the best player on 3 levels of our Defense - Matt Milano at LB, Tre White at CB, and Daquan Jones at Interior D-Line. Not to mention we didn't have Ed Oliver today.

Not to say that today or the last few weeks have been acceptable. But when you're starting guys like Tim Settle, Dane Jackson, and Dorian Williams in their stead - that's a massive dropoff.

This is not the same Defense that we saw the first few weeks.

Don’t care how many players on defense are missing. Have you taken a look at the Patriots offensive skill positions? 🤮

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

The defense was given a 3 point lead with a bit under 2 minutes left. All they had to do was stop the worst offense in the NFL 4 times. Instead they gave up a 30-yard screen pass on first down. Damn right they should be embarrassed.

On a one off situation maybe I’d give them some leeway due to injuries and whatnot but this is three games in a row the defense should not have gotten a stop late to seal the game for the opponent 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.