Defense should be embarrassed…

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Thank you..

Everyone blaming the O. (which yes they were bad)

But at the end of the day you let up 29 points to Mac Jones… 

Embarrassing

All three phases were a clown show today.

terrible. At least we know what we have. No superbowl aspirations this season. ( at least if you’re honest with yourself you know they are done)

I was stunned at how the Bills came back to take the lead. It was fantastic. 

I wasn't confident that the Bills D would stop NE because of the way both sides were playing. However, I really never thought the Pats would score a game winning TD. I was sort of expecting OT. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

All three phases were a clown show today.

terrible. At least we know what we have. No superbowl aspirations this season. ( at least if you’re honest with yourself you know they are done)

Yep pretty much.

I think they will be lucky to make the playoffs at this point 

• Like (+1) 1

The D is playing with one hand behind its back because of injuries.

Belichick was bound to find holes all over. What you saw today was Jones carve up a D riddled with second string players.

The O performance was far more concerning particularly given that the Pats two top pass rushers did not play.

As for those calling for Dorsey's head (and the rest of this sentence is not a defense of Dorsey) how many of you can tell on most plays whether it was the scheme or the execution that failed? I certainly cannot without the tome to study the all-22 view.

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hopefully I can get this in before this thread gets buried.

Bills had their backup 1T and 3T today, and the guys backing them up are a practice squad player and a guy who had been inactive.

The lack of NT was detrimental to the DL, you could see it start when Jones went out but losing Oliver was the kiss of death. Poor DTs + small LBers results in what we saw today. I love our small LBers too, but this defensive performance was predictable. 

All the talk of the offense, but Bills MUST bring in a legitimate NT by the trade deadline. 

Nah bring in another number 1 caliber wr and hitch everything to the offense for once...scrap the 12 personal failure and go put up points..sick of this defense taking all assets

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hopefully I can get this in before this thread gets buried.

Bills had their backup 1T and 3T today, and the guys backing them up are a practice squad player and a guy who had been inactive.

The lack of NT was detrimental to the DL, you could see it start when Jones went out but losing Oliver was the kiss of death. Poor DTs + small LBers results in what we saw today. I love our small LBers too, but this defensive performance was predictable. 

All the talk of the offense, but Bills MUST bring in a legitimate NT by the trade deadline. 

Valid, but I’m sorry… no. 

This Pats Offense is that bad and are dealing with injuries of their own.  

Pathetic performance from them today. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Offense left the field with a lead.  It’s at least somewhat close.

After pooping the bed for the entire game except 7 minutes of it. Yippie 

13 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Ah yes, allowing Mac Jones and his offense to score 29 points, march down the field and hell, score a TD in under two minutes with utter ease had nothing to do with it. Nope, our ancient defense is just stellar and so is our head coach. They can do no wrong.

Again your 250M QB and Offense didn’t NOTHING the entire game except the least 7 minutes 

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Taron Johnson had, quite possibly the worst game of his NFL career. While he did still make a couple plays against the run he was on coverage for 2 Patriots TD passes and was out of position badly. 

Plenty bof blame for BOTH SIDES today.

Defense wise, they gave up a fast start (yes the INT didn't help). They allowed Jones to complete 25 of 30 passes and drive the field at the end for the win. Taron Johnson gave up 2 TDs. Constantly let WRs roam free. Poor tackling. In total gave up 29 points to a team that hasn't scored a TD since MC Hammer was a "thing" (at least it seems that long.)

Nope your 250M QB and Healthy Offense should be able to pick up a defense that is Decimated in injury No?

sorry this offense is broken. It is bad and this is not a playoff team right now. 

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Either they were terrible today, or all the fans here who normally bash Mac Jones, owe him an apology. 😂

The defense was not put into a position to be successful against NE. I will (shudder) rewatch the game to double check, but others have already stated what I saw. McD blitzed and blitzed and blitzed and didn’t let the fact that it was helping Mac Jones and NE dissuade him from continuing to do so. 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

After pooping the bed for the entire game except 7 minutes of it. Yippie 

Again your 250M QB and Offense didn’t NOTHING the entire game except the least 7 minutes 

Nope your 250M QB and Healthy Offense should be able to pick up a defense that is Decimated in injury No?

sorry this offense is broken. It is bad and this is not a playoff team right now. 

Pick up? Sure.And they did just that in the 4th. Played their best when it matters most. They even had a few really nice long drives to keep the defense less exposed and off the field. Left the field with a lead. You would think your HC who is also the DC with a long history of running a defense would be able to scheme around talent and help out, no?

• Agree 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Pick up? Sure.And they did just that in the 4th. Played their best when it matters most. They even had a few really nice long drives to keep the defense less exposed and off the field. Left the field with a lead. You would think your HC who is also the DC with a long history of running a defense would be able to scheme around talent and help out, no?

Did they?  Really so you think this offense helped that defense?

with Pick on the first ***** play

punt after punt 

3 and out after 3 and out 

this is picking up that defense let me tell you. 

IMG_9592.png

Geez I remember questioning the defense allowing almost 500 yards vs. Jax and people here telling us that the "D" played admirably.  What a crock.

Yesterday they allowed Mac Jones to go 25-30 and complete pass after pass and got 1 sack.

They got gifted a fumble, but when you needed a defense to make a play they did not.

McD built his reputation on that side of the ball and has been embarrassed.  What a bunch of front runners they are.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Did they?  Really so you think this offense helped that defense?

with Pick on the first ***** play

punt after punt 

3 and out after 3 and out 

this is picking up that defense let me tell you. 

IMG_9592.png

And yet they controlled the ball well on several drives and left the field with the lead. How many 3 and outs did they have yesterday? Didn't seem like many at all. And again I say, plenty of blame to go around. To say the offense is Scott free of blame is wrong. But our 250 million dollar QB didn't give up 2 TD passes and extend a Patriot drive with a dumb penalty either. Our $41 Million slot CB DID.

Cherry pick first half stats all you want. The defense still crapped the bed at the end and didn't stop Mac from looking like Brady Lite all game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Geez I remember questioning the defense allowing almost 500 yards vs. Jax and people here telling us that the "D" played admirably.  What a crock.

Yesterday they allowed Mac Jones to go 25-30 and complete pass after pass and got 1 sack.

They got gifted a fumble, but when you needed a defense to make a play they did not.

McD built his reputation on that side of the ball and has been embarrassed.  What a bunch of front runners they are.  

How did your 250M QB play? How about that completely healthy offense?

I mean they didn’t throw a pick on play one right? 

they didn’t continue to not show up the entire first half?

Is the defense missing

all pro LBer

both Top end DTs

all pro CB

• Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

DTs were absolutely an issue today, but more than that I thought our gameplan was terrible. The Pats have no talent on offense. It's the exact kind of team where you can afford to just drop back and play for coverage sacks and wait for them to make mistakes. A Leslie Frazier coached defense would have won this game. Instead we blitzed repeatedly including (I think) on the 40 yard screen pass that started their game winning drive.

Another issue is that for several years now the defense has suddenly fallen into a rut after looking elite, and it never ends up rebounding. To me that is a huge coaching failure. As other coaches get tape on our defense they are finding ways to beat us and we never have an answer back.

I really can't get over that we allowed 29 points to the worst offense in the NFL. It's honestly unbelievable. The Broncos defense will give up less than that, I'm sure of it.

Not just 29 points, but 7 scoring drives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

And yet they controlled the ball well on several drives and left the field with the lead. How many 3 and outs did they have yesterday? Didn't seem like many at all. And again I say, plenty of blame to go around. To say the offense is Scott free of blame is wrong. But our 250 million dollar QB didn't give up 2 TD passes and extend a Patriot drive with a dumb penalty either. Our $41 Million slot CB DID.

Cherry pick first half stats all you want. The defense still crapped the bed at the end and didn't stop Mac from looking like Brady Lite all game. 

Ooo tell me also how did that OL look against a Decimated DL with no pass rushers. Josh had forever right? 

once again I showed you how your 250M QB, completely healthy offense did in the first half yet again. 

bit sure let’s blame the mash unit. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Is the defense missing

all pro LBer

both Top end DTs

all pro CB

Again look at the drives and they had a TD wiped out on a questionable call, a missed FG and the usual suspect playcalling.

It was Mac Jones that lit up the defense this week.  Quit looking to blame Allen. 

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And 2 long TD drives in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ooo tell me also how did that OL look against a Decimated DL with no pass rushers. Josh had forever right? 

once again I showed you how your 250M QB, completely healthy offense did in the first half yet again. 

Well, it’s kinda correct to blame the mash unit because they are the reason the Bills lost. The Bills offense was at least up and down over the course of the game - some good, some bad. The defense was all bad all game except for one play (poyer’s forced fumble, a very nice play). They gave up SEVEN scoring drives to Mac Jones, who had the best game of his friggin’ career. The larger issue is that they spent a LOT on d-line depth and what they have to show for it on the interior is some of the worst DT play in the league. Mac Jones’s biggest and most obvious weakness is that he crumbles under interior d-line pressure, and the Bills put NONE one him. Ford, Settle, and Phillips are not league-minimum salary guys; collectively, they’re making $9+ million. Yet they suck.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

"The mash unit" had a rough game. Did they not? However it wasn't the players playing in place of those guys that were terrible. It was Taron Johnson. And again, when your claim to fame as a HC is defense and you can't use scheme to get better defensive play THAT'S A PROBLEM! The Patriots themselves were down their 2 best pass rushers and outstanding young CB. But they found ways to get pressure and cover. Imagine that.

You also claim earlier that the Bills had repeated 3 and outs and punt after punt. Still haven't answered my question on how many 3 and outs that offense had yesterday. Here's a simpler question...how many times did the offense punt the ball? Hint...it was less than twice. 

Meanwhile they had 2 long drives.still had 24 first downs. Could they have done more? Sure. Do they deserve some of the blame? Absolutely. But to say they were completely hanging the defense out to dry and the defense is absolved of any blame is an outright bizarre train of thought. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again look at the drives and they had a TD wiped out on a questionable call, a missed FG and the usual suspect playcalling.

It was Mac Jones that lit up the defense this week.  Quit looking to blame Allen. 

And 2 long TD drives in the 4th quarter.

I did I saw more drives end in no points. So yeah the Offense CONTINUES to be a problem. 

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, it’s kinda correct to blame the mash unit because they are the reason the Bills lost. The Bills offense was at least up and down over the course of the game - some good, some bad. The defense was all bad all game except for one play (poyer’s forced fumble, a very nice play). They gave up SEVEN scoring drives to Mac Jones, who had the best game of his friggin’ career. The larger issue is that they spent a LOT on d-line depth and what they have to show for it on the interior is some of the worst DT play in the league. Mac Jones’s biggest and most obvious weakness is that he crumbles under interior d-line pressure, and the Bills put NONE one him. Ford, Settle, and Phillips are not league-minimum salary guys; collectively, they’re making $9+ million. Yet they suck.

Yep let’s keep punting the Blame. 

reality is Josh Allen is a ONE READ QB right now. 

That is the reality. You can look elsewhere you can blame others that is fine. It doesn’t take from the ISSUES on this offense and currently with the “Top 3” QB. 

• Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I get it... but this is always going to be the issue for a big part of our fanbase when we have a defensive minded head coach and haven't made the "all-in" moves on offense that we have on defense. 

I mean, the defense gets Leonard Floyd and Jordan Poyer in Free Agency.  The offense gets Connor McGovern and Deonte Harty.  The year before, we didn't do much of anything for Allen, but signed Von Miller.  

This past draft was a step in the right direction, but for the defense to not just give up 29 points and a game winning drive, but also struggle so hard to just get off the field.. against, potentially, the worst offense in the NFL, is not going to sit well with anyone here.  

And yes, the Offense is 100% the biggest issue right now.  No arguments here.. but I'm not giving McDermott and the Defense a pass for that game.  

15 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Both the Pats as a team as well as Jones posted their best offensive games of the season today.  

Inexcusable.  

This is two weeks in a row teams playing badly kind of turned things around vs the Bills.......not saying this as an excuse but when a team is struggling so much it forces them to self reflect and change things.   Mac could not get out of his own way all season now, picks, sacks etc.  The Pats OL could not play as a group.  Yesterday they got a lot of that righted and the Bills throw an INT on the first play (must be Dorsey's fault).  They drop the ball...etc.  The Pats sped Allen up a number of times and got incompletions for it.  They had a good gameplan and for the most part played mistake free while the Bills puke all over themselves.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I get it... but this is always going to be the issue for a big part of our fanbase when we have a defensive minded head coach and haven't made the "all-in" moves on offense that we have on defense. 

I mean, the defense gets Leonard Floyd and Jordan Poyer in Free Agency.  The offense gets Connor McGovern and Deonte Harty.  The year before, we didn't do much of anything for Allen, but signed Von Miller.  

This past draft was a step in the right direction, but for the defense to not just give up 29 points and a game winning drive, but also struggle so hard to just get off the field.. against, potentially, the worst offense in the NFL, is not going to sit well with anyone here.  

And yes, the Offense is 100% the biggest issue right now.  No arguments here.. but I'm not giving McDermott and the Defense a pass for that game.  

Where am I giving McD a pass he is a HC (allegedly) means everything stops with him. That includes 

Taking the biggest threat in the red one away (Allen’s Legs)

that includes this low risk offense 

that included taking the deep shots out because of a shell? Even with Diggs showing he will just outrun the shell. 

that includes the personnel choices over the offseason

that includes Bringijg Von Miller off PUP and wasting a roster spot last three weeks. 

that includes the London travel situation

that includes the ***** offense for the last three games ( first half). 

now DC McD gets a slight pass because he has a mash unit in that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, QCity said:

Please no injury excuses.

That Patriots roster is completely devoid of talent.

The Hoodie took McD out behind the woodshed today and whooped his ass.

Rhomandre Stephenson and Kendrick Bourne disagree with you, Hunter Henry is no slouch either. That said our defense didn't show up the most important drive yesterday. Of course the picked up illegal man downfield flag still questionable at best. Toss in pass interference by Taron Johnson considering what we saw not flagged earlier. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Joe Marino on Locked On Bills gave some sobering stats about the defense's performance. The Patriots averaged 12 points per game before yesterday. They had made it to the red zone 10 times in their 6 previous games - that's 10 total red zone trips in 6 games. Against us they made it there 5 times.

People can criticize the offense but the QB is playing with an injury in his throwing shoulder. The Pats had the 14th ranked defense by DVOA, not terrible, but just the 29th ranked offense. Most of our draft & free agency investment is on the defense. Our head coach is defensively minded. This is a game where we needed our defense to carry the day a bit.

• Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino on Locked On Bills gave some sobering stats about the defense's performance. The Patriots averaged 12 points per game before yesterday. They had made it to the red zone 10 times in their 6 previous games - that's 10 total red zone trips in 6 games. Against us they made it there 5 times.

People can criticize the offense but the QB is playing with an injury in his throwing shoulder. The Pats had the 14th ranked defense by DVOA, not terrible, but just the 29th ranked offense. Most of our draft & free agency investment is on the defense. Our head coach is defensively minded. This is a game where we needed our defense to carry the day a bit.

The defense has been trying to carry the day for 3 weeks in a row.

This game is over by the second quarter if the Bills start out strong.

The ONLY way the Pats could win is if they got a lead early and maintained it while playing ball control. It was their gameplan. Get up 3 points, and run the football and keep the opposing offense off the field.

With this team, if we can only score 7-10 points in the first 55 minutes, we are going to lose A LOT of football games this year.

when the report came out that Oliver would be out I immediately change my view on this game.  We were playing without our two best DTs, our best CB and our best CB.   However I fault the game plan on defense.  All the blitzes seemed to be edge blitzes versus middle blitzes and leaving an open throwing window into the middle of the field.  The offense was putrid again in its inability to get some flow going and once again the play calling make me SMH.   One coaching blunder I think McD made was not accepting the penalty on our last scoring drive.   Yes it moved ya back to the 4 but gave ya four downs.   Plus with the clock time a run even stuffed would have burnt valuable clock time or forced a time out use by BB.  

The tackling was abysmal.

On that last screen to Stevenson, I practically lost count of the missed tackles. Not sure who it was that had the 1st crack at it, but he had perfect position and just had to wrap him up. It was like he just bumped into him & let him keep going

He picked up 20+ yards after that. Without that, it's VERY likely a FG drive, OT and a much better chance for a W.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Is the defense missing

all pro LBer

both Top end DTs

all pro CB

Not his best game, but given the mediocre scheme and way they want him to play football it was fine. 25 points ( with a missed 42 yd FG) should do it vs the great Mac Jones, Kendrick Bourne and co. The Pats were just shut out by the Saints. The high flying Dolphins scored 24 and beat them. I’d like a better offensive performance featuring more of Josh Allen - their best player by a long shot. Expecting the defense to make some tackles and cover pedestrian WRs catching passes from a mediocrity like Jones isn’t a huge ask. Pats offense reached  several season highs vs McD’s outfit. That’s just unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Success said:

The tackling was abysmal.

On that last screen to Stevenson, I practically lost count of the missed tackles. Not sure who it was that had the 1st crack at it, but he had perfect position and just had to wrap him up. It was like he just bumped into him & let him keep going

He picked up 20+ yards after that. Without that, it's VERY likely a FG drive, OT and a much better chance for a W.

With a pathetic attempt at a trip that drew a PF penalty tacked on for good measure. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.