Are people really that unhappy with our 4-2 Bills?

eball

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Things have to go pretty perfect for any team to win a championship 

Agree.. but when is its Buffalo's turn?

The fan base has been loyal to a fault forever. I left a long time ago, but I know how much it means to people back there & me still. 

I'm a Red Sox fan who grew up in NY. 2004 was all I needed, the others were gravy.

I want the Bills to have that one ring to say to everyone Get Off Our A**! 

To see the jubilation of Bills Mafia!

3 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Agree.. but when is its Buffalo's turn?

The fan base has been loyal to a fault forever. I left a long time ago, but I know how much it means to people back there & me still. 

I'm a Red Sox fan who grew up in NY. 2004 was all I needed, the others were gravy.

I want the Bills to have that one ring to say to everyone Get Off Our A**! 

To see the jubilation of Bills Mafia!

As a guy that has been a fan since opening day 1960 I have the AFL championships.  But I feel as you do.  It takes talent, and some luck to break your way at the right time.

8 hours ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

They lost two games by a total of 11 points!

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

The problem around here is that we've had a good to very good team for a while. The bar has been raised.

In the drought years, this would be thrilling. But we've won the division and gotten playoff wins consistently. The desire the past couple years has been Super Bowl or bust.

So when we struggle to beat bad teams or lose to bad teams, it's completely unacceptable now. When you watch the team come down to the last play against the Giants, it doesn't feel like a Super Bowl team.

Good on you that you just want to look on the bright side. But there is merit on the other side as well. And a post like this comes off way holier than thou.

• Agree 1

Was hoping this was a poll. 

Remember when the team was 7-6 and REELING, but then in most fans' opinions, in the playoffs that same season, SHOULD have defeated the Chiefs and then the Bengals and then the Rams to win a 'ship?

No awards that matter for being #1 wire-to-wire. Gotta get into the tournament. That's what the regular season is for.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

I think it’s mainly about the recent injuries to 3 very important core players with a touch of the ineptness of Dorsey. 

I’m happy.  What has peaking early in the season gotten the Bills the last few years?  Better to look ugly early then get hot at the end of the season.  Besides with all this gambling on apps going down I’m sure it will be more profitable if the Bills win it all at higher odds.  

Look the only lose that I was unhappy as a Buffalo Bills fan happened while I was sick in the hospital was the opener against the New York Jets. That Bills loss was a embarrassment and is why the Bills aren’t in first place in the AFC East. It was a really bad loss that could potentially cost this Bills team big time at the end of the regular season. There was no reason for the Bills to not be prepared and the Bills were healthy so no excuse for that in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

Then lets just shut down these boards until January. Come on folks. It does not take a genius to see see and acknowledge at 4-2 the Bills have underperformed. That does not mean it wont change. Its just where they are right now. Going back to why at 4-2 many people are negative. Because they are not where they should be and even the coaches see it. They have plenty of time between now and January to do just that. 

Why is it so easy for people to say the 5-1 MIA Dolphins are not that good. They have beat no one and the defense sucks. The 5-1 KC Chiefs do not look Super Bowl caliber. They have no WR's and Mahomes looks like trash. But being disappointed in a 4-2 Bills team that has lost to NYJ (Zach Wilson), Jax, and nearly lost to a Tyrod Taylor led Giant team, makes you clueless and or a bad fan for some reason. I bet a lot of Chiefs fans think they should be playing better and they should. We are in the same boat, which is a good thing not a bad one. 

You’re speaking too much truth! Mia and KC. Both teams that are ahead of the Bills in the standings but are somehow not very good but the Bills with all the injuries will still go further. I’ve even seen comments like the Jags are more dangerous than the Chiefs even though the Chiefs beat the Jags at their place…while ‘struggling’ no less. I’m not sure if these opinions are homer based and just not accepting reality. Perhaps both.

The clear reality is the Bills have been inconsistent on offense while losing some key components on defense. It will be tough to reach their ultimate goal this year imo. But there’s a lot of football left so we’ll see. 

12 hours ago, eball said:

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

I agree with your analysis.  But the lynch mob that is wanting to fire McDermott or Dorsey after a loss or a lack luster win do not represent the main stream Bills fan.  Most Bills fans appreciate what we have and what Beane and McDermott have accomplished.

These sad sacks are just miserable and will always find something to get mad at.  These are the same people that wanted to fire Daboll two years ago, and now they want him back.

Don't let these few whiners color your opinion of the best fan base in the NFL.

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

We expect to contend for a title. We have an other-worldly QB and at least 2 other sure fire HOF’ers. TSW naysayers notwithstanding, Beane has constructed the best roster of his tenure. Key major Injuries to essential players (stars) early have knocked us off our mark and we’re still trying to adapt with unproven replacements. The current silver lining is the ‘easier’ part of our schedule while we attempt to re-form. Dorian Williams has real potential as does O’Cyrus Torrence as does Bernard & Benford. Even with the huge loss of Jones, our DL is super strong and Von is returning. 
That we haven’t lit up the scoreboard since the debacle in London has our nervous Nellies ready to jump off a bridge or fire every coach, which is ridiculous. The Conference 1 seed may not be attainable -MAY NOT..- but as these new starters progress with on field guidance of cagey vets, we should be rolling by seasons’ end. Then we might -MIGHT- be surprised who returns from injury at that time.

So, ‘unhappy’? Yeah, probably. But we’re still alive and still a very talented team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Was hoping this was a poll. 

Remember when the team was 7-6 and REELING, but then in most fans' opinions, in the playoffs that same season, SHOULD have defeated the Chiefs and then the Bengals and then the Rams to win a 'ship?

No awards that matter for being #1 wire-to-wire. Gotta get into the tournament. That's what the regular season is for.

EXACTLY.

The regular season exists for one purpose: making the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Look the only lose that I was unhappy as a Buffalo Bills fan happened while I was sick in the hospital was the opener against the New York Jets. That Bills loss was a embarrassment and is why the Bills aren’t in first place in the AFC East. It was a really bad loss that could potentially cost this Bills team big time at the end of the regular season. There was no reason for the Bills to not be prepared and the Bills were healthy so no excuse for that in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Didnt the NY jets just beat the undefeated Philadelphia Eagles? Reigning NFC champions?

Didnt NY jets also NEARLY beat KC if not for some Tay Tay officiating?

I think its time to realize the jets defense is really, really good and stop acting like they are a trash team

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

We expect to contend for a title. We have an other-worldly QB and at least 2 other sure fire HOF’ers. TSW naysayers notwithstanding, Beane has constructed the best roster of his tenure. Key major Injuries to essential players (stars) early have knocked us off our mark and we’re still trying to adapt with unproven replacements. The current silver lining is the ‘easier’ part of our schedule while we attempt to re-form. Dorian Williams has real potential as does O’Cyrus Torrence as does Bernard & Benford. Even with the huge loss of Jones, our DL is super strong and Von is returning. 
That we haven’t lit up the scoreboard since the debacle in London has our nervous Nellies ready to jump off a bridge or fire every coach, which is ridiculous. The Conference 1 seed may not be attainable -MAY NOT..- but as these new starters progress with on field guidance of cagey vets, we should be rolling by seasons’ end. Then we might -MIGHT- be surprised who returns from injury at that time.

So, ‘unhappy’? Yeah, probably. But we’re still alive and still a very talented team.

Just talented enough to fail in the playoffs like we've seen in consecutive years in the McD era. 

Haven't you been spilling this diarrhea for years now? 

It sounds great Chandler. Almost got me to do some jumping jacks in my Bills uniform while I hear the song Bills wanna make me shout. 

This team needs to progress further. Beat the Chiefs on the playoffs, beat Cinci in the playoffs, get to an AFC championship game, represent the AFC, get a ring, ... 

All the cheerleading  and optimism falls on deaf ears here. It time for the Bills to put up or shut up. Thus far, this year appears to be heading in the direction of the previous years. Good but not good enough. 

With that said, the Bills are 4-2. By my math they played 6 games. Three good games and three poop ones. 

There's plenty of time to get things right and or get wrong. It remains to be seen what the outcome will be. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ngbills said:

Its about expectations. Are you happy with a playoff contender or do you want a championship. The question is - will it be easier or harder to win next year, the next, etc. With Josh Allen's age and contract plus other players age the time is now to win. So when the team is on track to "only" be fighting for a playoff spot it leads to disappointment. 

Which teams have won a championship so far this year?

Until the Buffalo Bills finally win a Super Bowl, many fans are going to have a really hard time just enjoying week-to-week success.

This is just reality.

I'm 44 years old, and grew up with the 90s Bills...watching us totally dominate the AFC.  It was a fun time, and I have many great memories from that era.  But the fact that we never managed to win the Lombardi trophy STILL stings really bad.  It's almost like PTSD.  I still get sick to my stomach when highlights pop-up from any of those four Super Bowl games.  

For some fans, it's enough to just know the Bills are no longer an embarrassment to the NFL.  It's enough to enjoy most Sunday afternoons on the winning end, and be proud that we have one of the best QBs in the league.  Sure, those fans want a Super Bowl too.  But they can still appreciate the rest of the season, even if it doesn't happen.

I just can't do it.  

I've had too many Wide Rights, Music City Miracles, 13 Seconds to truly appreciate anything short of a championship trophy.  It doesn't matter what happened in the previous 17-18 games.  The only thing that matters from the 2022 season was their awful game against the Bengals.  Same with the two seasons before in Arrowhead.  And it will be the same this season, if we can't finish the job.  Everything else the Bills accomplish to that point will just be hollow, and overshadowed by that season's crushing playoff loss.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

Anymore I feel like the Bills are a mostly entertaining tv series that will have a bad ending, leaving the fans disappointed overall.  The Bills are my new Game of Thrones.

I hope you're wrong, but if I was a betting person, I'd bet that you're correct.

McDermott has been here 7 years. He has done a great job developing a winning culture for this organization. However, 7 years and still no Super Bowl appearance. It is a fair question to ask can he get this Bills to the Super Bowl. For me I lost faith after 13 seconds. That was a fire able offense IMHO. But it remains to be seen what Terry will do as his opinion is the only one that counts. 

• Dislike 2

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Its not comparing the Pats to the Bills. It was responding to the mindset of we used to suck so just be happy that we are winning at all. 

I have no problem with valid criticism, and I've frequently agreed with posters with such criticisms and/or reasonable suggestions for fixing apparent problems.  The posters I do have problems with are the fools that live in an alternative universe where the salary cap is irrelevant, firing coaches and trading out current players for has-beens, never-weres, and/or a couple of big names in season result in SB wins.

Edited by SoTier

40 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It's the injuries to arguably the 3 best players on each level of our defense that is the kick to the grundle for me. 4-2 albeit, not great, is fine.

This is infinitely more detrimental to the Bills' chances of the Bills making the Super Bowl than any other current issue.   Luck plays such a significant role in a team making the Super Bowl, especially in terms of injuries to key players, that it's definitely a case of being "better to be lucky than good".

20 hours ago, eball said:

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

I think we all overreact to the final results on Sunday to an absolute extreme.

Josh Allen looked like crap and threw 3 INT’s against the Jets in Week 1, we assume the Bills will look like crap all year along and he’ll lead the league in INTs. 

The Bills look like world-beaters by destroying Miami in Week 4, we assume every week is going to be an onslaught and that the team will never lose.  

Since the Bills struggled to beat the Giants means they will struggle against similar teams and get blown out by good ones Kansas City.

The Bills at 6-0 vs. The Bills at 4-2, probably doesn’t mean that much in Week 7 in terms of Super Bowl aspirations.  

So much can still happen in a season resulting a negative or positive result and what happens one week, doesn’t necessarily carry over into the next.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yet another dose of verbal diarrhea from @eball.

You know, this topic about perspective would be a little bit more profound if you didn't make it every. single. year.

You like to be a Bills fan by being a cheerleader. Cool. Happy for you. You have optimism and hope because you see the sun come up the next day.

Some people like to be fans in different ways. Some of them watch the All-22 and really try to break it down. Some people know more about X's and O's than you. Some people pretend they do.

To me, personally, I thought the success of this season was predicated on an offense that would be improved from all the silly "rookie OC" or poor talent-related mistakes and hiccups from last year. To my eye, it may honestly be worse.

Things may change. It's a long season. But I was hoping the Bills offense would look better than last year, and so far they haven't and so far, there goes my hope we are gonna win a Superbowl.

But again, cool you prefer cheerleading instead.

It doesn't matter if Fitz, EJ, Tyrod, or Josh is under center, if you aren't in a circle singing Kum Ba Yah after every game you are miserable. WhY CaNt YoU JuSt Be HapPy?

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jump. Jump!  JUMP!  JUMP! JUMP!!!!!!!  JUMP!!!!!!!

Hopefully jumping off bridges without bungee cords will next thing.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It was way less stressful when all we had to worry about was being shown to be ‘in the hunt’ on Thanksgiving Day. Those were the days! 

And not worrying about games at other than 1 PM.

13 minutes ago, QCity said:

It doesn't matter if Fitz, EJ, Tyrod, or Josh is under center, if you aren't in a circle singing Kum Ba Yah after every game you are miserable. WhY CaNt YoU JuSt Be HapPy?

Some people are neurotic and can only be happy by being unhappy.  Unfortunately they act like religious missionaries trying to convert others.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There are some annoying flaws with this team that Beane is apparently incapable of correcting (wide receiver outside of Diggs) and I want to see more snaps from under center and less shotgun.

But aside from that I'm happy as hell.

We have a legit Super Bowl contender in Western NY and that's all anyone can ever ask for in October-November.

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I had this thought today. Your happiness is a product of your expectations. Bills fans were probably happier after some of the Fitz and Edwards good starts than this team’s 4-2 start. 

it’s a bit crazy but it makes sense. 

Buddhist philosophy says unfulfilled desire is the root of suffering.

So, as our expectations have risen significantly since the time of FItz and Edwards — yet they are unfulfilled — your thinking makes sense. At least to me and Buddhists.

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There are some annoying flaws with this team that Beane is apparently incapable of correcting (wide receiver outside of Diggs) and I want to see more snaps from under center and less shotgun.

But aside from that I'm happy as hell.

We have a legit Super Bowl contender in Western NY and that's all anyone can ever ask for in October-November.

I disagree.  The Bills are good enough to make the playoffs.  Thats it.  Legit SB contender? What makes you say that?  Nothing about this team makes me believe they are "legit."  They don't prepare well for games.  Last year they were an abysmal mess in the playoffs.  Almost losing to a backup QB and then losing to a team where the entire O-line was backups.

The Bills have to be at the top of the list for the most unbalanced, undisciplined and uninspiring offense in the entire league. 

San Fran - Legit

KC - Legit

Miami - Legit

Philly - Legit

Detroit is more legit than Buffalo right now.

If you believe it, that's great, but I just don't see any legitimate reason to believe that the Bills are "legit" SB contenders.  Could they get hot at the right time and figure it all out and make a SB? Sure....that doesn't make them legit though.

• Disagree 1

Not happy, but not as concerned as I was last year.  

At least now, it’s early.  

Last year this dip occurred heading into the playoffs and continued into the playoffs. 

It’s only Week 7. 

That said, through six weeks.. our offense has looked great in 3 games and absolutely terrible in 3 games. 

4-2 is probably where we should be, but it’s not being ungrateful to point out this isn’t sustainable and it’s not likely to ever result in a Championship run.  

However, again, it’s only Week 7. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are critical because we see mistakes that will cost us against better teams. At the end of the game, NJ had 4 secs on the play clock, nowhere near snapping the ball, complete disarray, and McDummy bails them out with a TO.  NJ would have had a DOG or at least an IM penalty because they were all still moving. You don't let an opponent off the hook when they're under time pressure. But Tie-rod gonna Tie-rod, and we won despite McDummy, not because of him. 

• Dislike 2

35 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I disagree.  The Bills are good enough to make the playoffs.  Thats it.  Legit SB contender? What makes you say that?  Nothing about this team makes me believe they are "legit."  They don't prepare well for games.  Last year they were an abysmal mess in the playoffs.  Almost losing to a backup QB and then losing to a team where the entire O-line was backups.

The Bills have to be at the top of the list for the most unbalanced, undisciplined and uninspiring offense in the entire league. 

San Fran - Legit

KC - Legit

Miami - Legit

Philly - Legit

Detroit is more legit than Buffalo right now.

If you believe it, that's great, but I just don't see any legitimate reason to believe that the Bills are "legit" SB contenders.  Could they get hot at the right time and figure it all out and make a SB? Sure....that doesn't make them legit though.

The season is more than just the last game or two.

Considering they're #3 in DVOA and at least Top 5 in every analytical ranking makes it pretty loud and clear that the Bills are legit Super Bowl contenders in 2023.

No offense but your post is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The season is more than just the last game or two.

Considering they're #3 in DVOA and at least Top 5 in every analytical ranking makes it pretty loud and clear that the Bills are legit Super Bowl contenders in 2023.

No offense but your post is ridiculous.

I know I know....I was ridiculous last year too. I was ridiculous when I said the Bills wouldn't beat the Chiefs in the playoffs the 2 years before that.  Guess I'll just continue to be ridiculously right.

When the Bills are at home watching the Super Bowl, DVOA means nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.