Bills signing Josh Norman - yes, seriously

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Well, Norman hasn't been out of the league all this time.

2020 - 13 games with Buffalo

2021 - 17 games with San Francisco

2022 - 2 games with Carolina

He's obviously not the same guy he was in his heyday, and probably not even the same guy he was in 2020.  But he's just on the practice squad.  And as another poster mentioned, he could be a good veteran presence in the DB room.  

I agree with everybody that I hope we never have to play him in a game, but this is a sensible move.  And it in no way precludes any trades or stealing guys off other teams practice squads (which have to go to the Active Roster immediately).

You have to assume that at least the top 96 cornerbacks in the league, and probably the top 128, are on somebody's active roster right now and are untouchable except via trade.  Possible somebody in the 130 range is on somebody's practice squad right now, but you're taking a risk by signing him to the active roster.

Elam and Benford are the youngest guys in the room in their second year. Everybody else is in between their 4th and 11th seasons.

This isn’t a young team. And it is definitely not a young secondary. There is no need for “veteran presence in the DB room”.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

San Francisco 49ers

On September 6, 2021, Norman was signed by the San Francisco 49ers. He had 7 forced fumbles on the year, a career high

Carolina Panthers (second stint)

On December 26, 2022, the Carolina Panthers signed Norman to their practice squad Norman played in the Panthers' final two games of the season, recording eight tackles. Carolina finished 7-10, second in the NFC South and one game behind division champion Tampa Bay. His practice squad contract with the team expired after the season on January 8, 2023.

Buffalo Bills

On October 9, 2023, Norman was signed to practice squad by the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s just not that difficult to trade for a guy. The Broncos are done. They are going to clean house. They have an all world CB on a rookie deal, you can solve your current and future problems at CB right now. Stop overvaluing draft picks. We barely ever hit on them anyway. Just sent a first to Denver for Surtain and stop trying to cheap out on a fringe Super Bowl roster. Go and win one for the first time in your history. Then next season you can completely blow it up and nobody will even be sobered up enough by then to care.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Norman was pretty good in his prime.  
This signing just goes to prove GOOD players just aren’t available. This is no slight on Norman.  

May want to look instead for an offensive piece in order to score more, cause this D is going to get scored on more now. 

I think that most fans and sadly it includes me can’t get the vision of what Derek henry did to him

This guy was done three years ago to the extent that he was infamously posterized by Derrick Henry. Do they really think it would be any better in 2023?  I don't get the veteran mentorship angle either. We have Poyer and Hyde, along with Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Siran Neal, and Cam Lewis, who have also been with the team for a few years.    

I know that the pickings are slim, but there has to be a late rd pick/UDFA who is used to the defensive scheme on a practice squad somewhere who could do better than Norman would if we needed him. 

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dgrochester55 said:

This guy was done three years ago to the extent where he was posterized by Derrick Henry, do they really think it would be any better in 2023?.   I don't get the veteran mentorship angle either, we have Poyer and Hyde, along with Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Siran Neal and Cam Lewis who have also been with the team for a few years.    

I know that the pickings are slim, but there has to be a late rd pick/UDFA who is used to the defensive system on a practice squad somewhere who could do better than Norman would if we needed him. 

To sign a player off of another team's practice squad, you have to sign them to your 53-man roster. You have to give them three game checks too. In the coming days, we're going to hear about Ingram and Vickers being signed to the 53 so that will free up practice squad spots. Signing Josh Norman costs the BIlls absolutely nothing except for a PS slot. I took a look at the available current CB UFAs and it's a list of has-beens and never-beens. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

To sign a player off of another team's practice squad, you have to sign them to your 53-man roster. You have to give them three game checks too. In the coming days, we're going to hear about Ingram and Vickers being signed to the 53 so that will free up practice squad spots. Signing Josh Norman costs the BIlls absolutely nothing except for a PS slot. I took a look at the available current CB UFAs and it's a list of has-beens and never-beens. 

this is what I was curious about. Signing Norman vs who else could they have gotten with even conceivably better value? *shrugs*

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

this is what I was curious about. Signing Norman vs who else could they have gotten with even conceivably better value? *shrugs*

There are some good players with something left in the tank sitting at home right now, but unfortunately, they are not CBs. Former Packers and Charger Casey Hayword is out there surfing the couch too, but at this point, he's as washed up as Norman. Josh at least knows the system. 

Edit: Here is the list: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-100-2023-nfl-free-agents-list/

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

It's funny to read all the "he's washed up" comments. Take a look at Elams play on Sunday. Dude was useless and benched. It's not like the Bills can just snap fingers and get a stud CB without a trade that will include draft capital and $$

Norman was actually quite tough to play against in 2021 with the Niners. He can cover and hits hard. He may not be what we all want - but for the low return, he can be much better than Elam and he can be a safety blanket for when benford get's injured as he has proven to be. We will roll with benford and Dane at CB and Norman is insurance.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

It's funny to read all the "he's washed up" comments. Take a look at Elams play on Sunday. Dude was useless and benched. It's not like the Bills can just snap fingers and get a stud CB without a trade that will include draft capital and $$

Norman was actually quite tough to play against in 2021 with the Niners. He can cover and hits hard. He may not be what we all want - but for the low return, he can be much better than Elam and he can be a safety blanket for when benford get's injured as he has proven to be. We will roll with benford and Dane at CB and Norman is insurance.

If I had to guess.  It would be Cam Lewis coming in before Norman if Jackson or Benford go down this season.

Elam was a major problem.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Sadly says a lot more about Elam than anything else... 😓

If he actually gets called up, I'll join the concerned chorus. 

This screams to me McDermott looking at his extremely young outside corner room and wanting a cheap vet presence that knows the defense in there to be an extension of himself in the room. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s to the practice squad we just got done bringing up a corner and we have a corner that played his first game being on an active this year

How do we know this just isn’t a backfill on the practice squad Pickens are probably very scarce

I’m certainly open to other suggestions, but we are into the season, pass training camp and are looking at a once productive player that knows the defensive system

It’s to the practice squad he’s not to the active roster. Of course the hope is that Jackson and Benford can hold it down. And sparingly use Elam.

Everyone that is bitching needs to remember you don't just go out an grab a CB.  They're far and few between.  And it's not like it's training camp where you can teach system.  Norman is familiar with it already.  

Bills brass don't have a lot of options that make sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Was there any other CB's still available & if so who that could be installed in this scheme quickly ?

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Sadly says a lot more about Elam than anything else... 😓

I thought Elam did so good last season in the Miami game when they put him up against Hill i even heard he ran stride for stride with hill on a couple of occasions in that game . Now he's not worth a flip how did that come about ? 

And Cosell even said on 1 Bills live he was the most athletic & physically gifted CB they have to fill the loss of Tre so what are the Bills staff seeing that these people are not ? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.