Around the NFL 10/8

Steptide

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Too funny but could you imagine what Josh could do in their offense?

It would be fun to watch as I suspect Allen’s arm would make for an even more dynamic offense. Would Kittle turn into Kincaid or Knox?

I remember when Mike Shanahan interviewed for the Bills job in 2015. Rumour at the time was that he wanted to bring in his son in as the OC and groom him as his replacement as HC in the long run. 

Well that never happened. Sucks. 

Edited by The 9 Isles

9 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

I remember when Mike Shanahan interviewed for the Bills job in 2015. Rumour at the time was that he wanted to bring in his son in as the OC and groom him as his replacement as HC in the long run. 

Well that never happened. Sucks. 

McDermott is the right coach, just had some bad luck the past two post seasons. McDermott had a west coast offense his first season and made the playoffs with Tyrod , but for whatever reason he didn't get along with Rick Dennison. So its possible he might go back to that, especially since he said previously its the hardest offense to defend .

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Too funny but could you imagine what Josh could do in their offense?

He would frustrate the hell out of Kyle Shanahan. The 49ers offense is a paint by numbers offense. If you don't paint by the right number Shanahan hates it. He doesn't want ad libers. He wants people who run his plays. Because he is the best play designer in football and he is an arrogant so and so. It is why his best success has been with system QBs.... Schuab in Houston, Ryan in Atlanta, Jimmy and Brock in San Fran.

But if Josh could learn to just run Kyle's plays it would be deadly.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The NFL is a copy-cat league; why is no one else doing what the SF is doing? It seems they have an endless supply of 10-15-yard wide-open passing plays.

I mean lots of teams are trying. There are Shanahan disciples all over the place - Houston, Miami, Green Bay, the Rams etc.. but none of them have the same collection of talent - perfectly cultivated for the scheme - nor do they have Kyle Shanahan. He is the best play designer of his generation and possibly one of the best ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

But I like the 49rs offense better. Its better at running the ball and more versatile in the passing game with different kinds of athletes making plays.

they have a much better play caller who knows how to utilize his weapons.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He would frustrate the hell out of Kyle Shanahan. The 49ers offense is a paint by numbers offense. If you don't paint by the right number Shanahan hates it. He doesn't want ad libers. He wants people who run his plays. Because he is the best play designer in football and he is an arrogant so and so. It is why his best success has been with system QBs.... Schuab in Houston, Ryan in Atlanta, Jimmy and Brock in San Fran.

Glad someone has a modicum of a clue in this thread

Our O-coordinator is average at best.  He called a great game against Miami, and was horrid against Jacksonville.  Can our offense learn how to run a screen pass someday and utilize the TE please?

Edited by Nuncha

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Dorsey is a rick Dennison level coach. No ingenuity. Can’t scheme out people open. Can’t generate a running game. 

dorsey should be fired after this season outside of us winning the SB

Oh, nonsense.

Dennison was the guy who was going run-run-pass over and over and over, to the point where teams knew what we were doing to a near-certainty. Dorsey is far far better, right now.

This team is scoring at a very high pace. And while Dorsey certainly deserves his share of the blame, this loss was mostly about poor execution.

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Dorsey is a rick Dennison level coach. No ingenuity. Can’t scheme out people open. Can’t generate a running game. 

I feel like he's out on the field with a stick, drawing out plays with it like when we were kids.  Diggs you go here and Joshy will throw it to you.  Diggs stand still and Jimmie will run it into a pile of leaves.

41 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Our O-coordinator is average at best.  He called a great game against Miami, and was horrid against Jacksonville.  Can our offense learn how to run a screen pass someday and utilize the TE please?

Screens aren't easy to run with Josh Allen.

They work well when DLs pin their ears back and rush like crazy. They don't do that with Josh because if they do he'll run right past them. 

Screens also don't work nearly as well against zone coverage as they do against man-to-man. And very few teams run a lot of man against us, partly to stop Josh from running and partly because man is less confusing to the QB and teams want to slow Josh's processing as much as they possibly can.

The Bills have thrown a bunch to TEs. We're 9th in the league in passes to TEs, with 19 to each guy. Our primary receiving TE is a rookie and that is going to delay things. There's a good chance that as he figures things out, our TE usage will go up quite a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I feel like he's out on the field with a stick, drawing out plays with it like when we were kids.  Diggs you go here and Joshy will throw it to you.  Diggs stand still and Jimmie will run it into a pile of leaves.

I feel like this happens a bit more than we think - but it's usually within some element of the play.  Turning a slant up field because of where the LB is, or heading to the sideline and hoping that he sees you at the right time.  

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Screens aren't easy to run with Josh Allen.

They work well when DLs pin their ears back and rush like crazy. They don't do that with Josh because if they do he'll run right past them. 

Screens also don't work nearly as well against zone coverage as they do against man-to-man. And very few teams run a lot of man against us, partly to stop Josh from running and partly because man is less confusing to the QB and teams want to slow Josh's processing as much as they possibly can.

The Bills have thrown a bunch to TEs. We're 9th in the league in passes to TEs, with 19 to each guy. Our primary receiving TE is a rookie and that is going to delay things. There's a good chance that as he figures things out, our TE usage will go up quite a bit. 

TE as a checkdown....yawn.  Look how Detroit is utilizing their rook TE.  

Edited by Nuncha
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

not saying right now but would love if we brought this system in next year. Probably wouldn't be dorsey but probably someone from Miami or San Fran.

We’d need a complete overhaul of the offensive line…they’re pretty good in pass protection but not great at run blocking as it stands 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

McDermott is the right coach, just had some bad luck the past two post seasons. McDermott had a west coast offense his first season and made the playoffs with Tyrod , but for whatever reason he didn't get along with Rick Dennison. So its possible he might go back to that, especially since he said previously its the hardest offense to defend .

Yeah I loved McDerms panic first timeout of the game.....

Hes a DC. Not a headcoach.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

But I like the 49rs offense better. Its better at running the ball and more versatile in the passing game with different kinds of athletes making plays.

I don’t see anybody beating them.

72 dolphins like.

• Like (+1) 1

This is not normal I’m sorry it’s just not.  Either it’s something in how they’re training or the turf or both

That’s 2 big pieces on their D now - Gardner Johnson the other - done for the year.  

Our locker room needs to talk to theirs my guess is Coach Campbell won’t have them feeling sorry for themselves.  

Not saying McD can’t get them there as well but if last year is an indication and now couple it with the devastating losses this year (and it’s far from over) I have reason to be concerned.  

My first thought when I saw the look on Von’s face yesterday early in the 2nd half was that blank stare look of like “I can’t believe this ***t.  Tre, again, now Matt and DaQuan.  Wtf.”

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It does kind of feel like Josh is just running the system for the most part right now, for better or worse, except when it breaks down and he has to get creative.

17 hours ago, Process said:

There is a gigantic gap between the 49ers and everyone else in the NFC. If they stay healthy I don't see how they don't make the Superbowl. 

Said this since during the summer and was laughed at, especially when I said that “it’s over” for the rest of the league once they got CMC. I have money on them going undefeated too which looks strong too. 

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Niners are the best team in the NFL and it's not even close

Thanks for hopping on the train I’ve been conducting since this summer. 

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

No way.

Kittle >>>> Knox

Aiyuk >>>> Gabe

CMC >>>> Bills RBs

Stars win games

This. We don’t have the weapons they have. He would still use our guys better than Dorsey though. 

6 hours ago, McBean said:

I don’t see anybody beating them.

72 dolphins like.

No one is going to. I bet them to go undefeated before the season started. Have you looked at their schedule? 6 weeks off essentially against the NFCW, plus their hard games are all at home minus the eagles game which I think gets out of hand like this one. Barring injuries, no one has a chance. 

20 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Heading out for the night so getting this prediction in before it’s too late. Niners embarrass Dallas tonight and people start wondering if anyone is going to beat the Niners this year (ps, they’re not). Everyone questions if Dak can play qb or if McCarthy is a real coach(ps, they’re not). Niners 37 Dallas 17

Hate quoting myself but I’m on a heater after picking the Niners outcome so easily and winning the “predict the score” contest on the bills game yesterday. Right now, gambling is all I enjoy about the nfl lol 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.